Start by marking “Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou: A Marriage of Unequals” as Want to Read:
Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou: A Marriage of Unequals

Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou: A Marriage of Unequals

He became king before his first birthday, inheriting a vast empire from his military hero father; she was the daughter of a king without power, who made an unexpected marriage at the age of fifteen. Almost completely opposite in character, together they formed an unlikely but complimentary partnership.

Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou have become famous as the Lancastrian kin
Published November 16th 2018 by Pen and Sword History

To ask other readers questions about Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou

Helen Carolan
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
I love history,but this was such a disappointing read. An interesting period in British history, but I simply wasn't interested. While I wasn't expecting anything new I had hoped it might at least keep me gripped. Very little in the way of history, the author spent most of the book describing royal homes and royal tours. Even the war that ended the rule of the house of Lancaster was skimmed over. Disappointing.
Lisa
I’ve been feeling for awhile that I wanted to read about Henry VI and the Wars of the Roses and Amy Licence’s Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou: A Marriage of Unequals seemed like a good place to start. I’d enjoyed Amy Licence’s Red Roses: Blanche of Gaunt to Margaret Beaufort and this was recently published, which means it was going to be up-to-date with recent discoveries or theories (for instance, Bertram Woolfe’s Henry VI apparently is so outdated it has a preface telling you how outdated it is ...more
Heidi Malagisi
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Historically, royal marriages have been viewed with such interest. A king and a queen who can come from either similar or different backgrounds in order to make their country better, or in some cases, worse. During the Wars of the Roses, there were some legendary relationships that shaped the war between the Yorks and the Lancasters. Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville. George Duke of Clarence and Isabel Neville. Richard III and Anne Neville. Henry Tudor and Elizabeth of York. However, these relat ...more
ConstantReader
I've been waiting for a book like this. It's a dual biography of Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou. There's no prejudice in Licence's work which is rare in books covering Wars of the Roses.
Henry VI is often described as a failure of a king because in 1453 he descended into madness that blighted his days for the end of his life, started War of the Roses (Cousins' War) and lost many French territories won by his father, Henry V, the victor of Agincourt.
Margaret of Anjou, Henry's wife, is often descri
Monsicha Ountrongjit
Nov 17, 2018
Maria
Nov 17, 2018
Medieval and Tudor historian, with a particular interest in women's lives and experiences, also dabble in Modernism. I write fiction and non-fiction, also journalism for The Guardian, BBC History website, The New Statesman, The Huffington Post, The English Review and The London Magazine. I appeared in TV documentaries "The Real White Queen and her Rivals" and "The Private Lives of the Tudors."