Start by marking “Faith: A Journey For All” as Want to Read:
Faith: A Journey For All

Faith: A Journey For All

In this powerful reflection, President Jimmy Carter contemplates how faith has sustained him in happiness and disappointment. He considers how we may find it in our own lives.

All his life, President Jimmy Carter has been a courageous exemplar of faith. Now he shares the lessons he learned. He writes, “The issue of faith arises in almost every area of human existence, so it
Published March 27th 2018 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faith

Start your review of Faith: A Journey For All
Jeffrey Fisher
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I call President Carter that last great statesman of our time, a man of humility, deep faith, and a steadfast commitment to serving humanity and making the world a better place. We could all learn so much from him and improve life for all by following his model. Thank you, President Carter.
Christina Mayo
Ultimately I liked this audible book read by President Carter himself. Say what you will about his presidency but I've always thought he was such a good, honorable person that I was intrigued by his thoughts on the broader sense of faith in life and not just in a religious context. Hearing him read his own words was comforting somehow. And even though I felt that the book was a bit rambling at times, overall I enjoyed his thoughts on faith, both religious and in general.
Jeff Bobin
This is a quick read that is worth the time if you want to think about the balance between faith, work, politics and everyday life.

I have been reading about presidents starting with Richard Nixon and studied the Carter administration during and after his term in office. Writing more than 35 years after he left office this will give you look at what shaped him, his accomplishments and his failures. All were shaped by and a part of his ongoing faith development.

While I don't agree with everythin
Kathryn Bashaar
God bless Jimmy Carter. He is a great American. But his book was disappointing. The chapters don't really follow the theme of the chapter name or even have much of a structure. Each chapter is a meandering mishmash of memoir and shibboleths. There were a few gems, but mostly I felt like I wasted my time reading this.
Like my reviews? Check out my blog at http://www.kathrynbashaar.com/blog/
Author of The Saint's Mistress: https://www.bing.com/search?q=amazon....
Donald Owens II
PC and waffling, this book adds nothing to the political or theological conversation.

By "faith", he apparently means conviction about something, whether it's really true or not. "To me God is the existence of all that is good and my belief in God induces a pleasant feeling of responsibility to act accordingly. To believe in God is to desire his existence and what is more to act as though he existed.”

He quotes the Bible a lot, but it is not his authority. It doesn't determine his politics, but vi
Phil
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
President Carter is a national treasure. Typical of many of his books, he addresses here how his personal faith has informed and sustained him throughout his life. The country was facing a lot of really hard choices in the ‘70s in the economy and energy and foreign policy. Carter didn’t hesitate to make those hard choices, and he did so at great political cost to himself in many cases. How do you measure the success of a presidency? Of Carter it has been said: He told the truth, obeyed the law, ...more
Leslie
Carter's newest book is remarkable for so many reasons, including the fact that he packs an enormous amount of thought into a relatively short space. Oh, to be back in the day of such a thoughtful, caring leader, whose understanding of the world is based on wide reading, a degree in nuclear physics, and life experiences among the working poor. This is going to be used in a discussion group, and it should lead to a great conversation.
Nancy Mulder
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2018
My new motto is “What would Jimmy do?”
Ray LaManna
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have begun the Lenten season with Pres. Carter's latest book, this a very Christian exposition of what faith means in his life. He writes very clearly about the power of faith, not just in his own life but in the life of the US and of the world.

He does tend to jump around a bit...but overall this is a book to make people stop and think. And it's not only for Christians-anyone can benefit from his insights.
Aaron West
Though this book should have been finished mere days after my beginning it, a lot has occurred over the last few months, and, as 2020 will be, things have been hectic and distracting, to say the least.

Jimmy Carter has been somewhat of an anomaly to me; growing up I hardly realized he was still living, and even to this day can forget that he's still out there doing good behind the scenes. He's taken on a grandfatherly, respected role in my estimation now, and it seems that much of the nation fee
Ciara Wilkie
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-physical
I had never read a book by Jimmy Carter before though I'm very interested to read his book Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis after reading this book.

This novel is called Faith: A Journey For All and in the book Carter discusses his own walk as a Christian. He has lived a long life and has been serving the Lord since he was a young boy.

I think he truly understands the Bible and has shown great love to others. His story about refusing to join the White Council, a group against Black
Adam Shields
Short Thoughts: I picked up Faith for two reasons, first I picked up President Carter: The White House Years when it was on sale a few weeks ago and I wanted to read another short book by Carter before I started a fairly long and detailed history of his presidency. I also picked up Faith as an audiobook because he won a Grammy for the book, his third win and fourth nomination.

As much as I like Carter, and appreciate what he was trying to do here, this was not his best book. A Full Life: Reflecti
Moses Hetfield
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jimmy Carter is such an inspiration and the most underrated US president. As he writes, "faith is not just a noun but also a verb," and he truly exemplifies that philosophy, always living his faith and demonstrating his commitment to his values through action. I read this book while waiting outside of President Carter's church in Plains, Georgia to attend the Sunday school class he teaches (I had to show up at 4am to get in, and the book is quite short, so I was able to read most of it during th ...more
David  Cook
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
President Carter is one of the greatest statesman of our time, a man of humility, faith, and commitment to higher values than politics. I became involved nearly 30 years ago with Habitat for Humanity due to his example.

Some will argue his effectiveness as President. However, I believe history will be kind to him. His work and writing post presidency defines the man and this book is as good as any that describes the man and his thinking. Although much of this book has been written and said befor
Karen Olive
The insight I gleaned from this book was that Faith is based on relationship. Faith is not what we have but what we do. That idea alone was well worth the read. The book was great when Mr Carter wrote about spirituality but I felt as if some of it was about justifying his Baptist faith versus Catholicism and a large part of it was extolling his actions during and after his Presidency--which are laudable but it sort of smacked of self aggrandizement at times.
Dean
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book by a wonderful man. Kept thinking, this is what we need in a leader. This is such a humble man before God. The book is full of inspiring thoughts mixed with real life experiences and wonderfully appropriate quotes.
Katra
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My respect for this man continually grows.
Leah
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, audiobooks
There was really no rhyme or reason to this. Lots of quoting scripture but it didn't really tie into anything.
Katie F
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a person struggling with my faith, I greatly enjoyed this and gained new insights in my struggle. A quick and good read.
Donna Hines
You have to admire a man who practices what he preaches with deep religious faith.
We can all learn from one another. Our differences do not make us enemies but rather they make us diverse.
Mr. Jimmy Carter is our nation's 39th President, Nobel Peace Prize recipient, a Georgia State Senator, Peanut Farmer, Sailor, businessman, an activist, a humanist, a peacemaker, and wonderful leader to name just a few. He is a man of strong convictions, a man of warmth, humility, and love.
I met Pres. Jimmy Cart
Hapzydeco
A reflective read - President Carter reflects on his journey through life and then it is the reader’s turn to reflect on President Carter’s message on faith.
Alice Dragon
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audio books aren't usually my thing, but this one was with Jimmy Carter. How could I not listen to it? And it's pretty good. It reveals some insight into Carter's own views and relationship with faith and his religion (sanitized to a degree of course). Carter was a very interesting figure in that he was a devout President who, through his presidency, sparked the rise of the religious right in America (not blaming Carter for that, there were many other reasons they came to be as a force in politi ...more
Kayla
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars.

I hate to rate this so poorly as I am an admirer of Carter, but this book just didn't work for me. Maybe if it had been titled "Thoughts: Random Musings on Faith & Life", I would have had a better appreciation for it, but it just lacked a coherent theme & did little to explore the concept of Faith that hasn't been addressed elsewhere (even in his own works which he quotes frequently.
Connie
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exploration of the development and meaning of faith in his life and how others have defined faith before him drawing upon the time- honored writings of theologians and philosophers: Reinhold Niebur, his brother H. Richard, William Sloane Coffin, Clarence Jordan the latter two were known to Jimmy Carter personally, Karl Barth and Emil Brunner among others in doing so. He describes his upbringing, as he has done in many of his previous books, to show how his foundation came to be. He cites thos ...more
Miriam Downey
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read my full review here: https://mimi-cyberlibrarian.blogspot....

This slim volume contains the spiritual pondering of the thirty-ninth President of the United States, Jimmy Carter. Some of the chapters are culled from his many writings on the topic of faith as well as what he is thinking now in his 94th year.

The surprising thing to me is that Carter’s thoughts are well-researched, both biblically and theologically. It shouldn't have been a surprise. This is a man who has taught a Sunday School
Elizabeth
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
notes for self:
- so refreshing to hear a politician & business leader talk about his faith openly & how it informs every aspect of his life.
- in our modern age, some see religious faith as archaic and irrelevant, but it's needed more than ever in an extremely polarized society. it can help our country to return to and uphold (ideal) values—democracy, freedom, justice, equality, and compassion—with more ease.
- not called to just stay within our comfort zones & the church community. we're called
Eric
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insight to what makes Jimmy Carter so unique among statesmen, let alone among presidents.

The Carter presidency was before my time of awareness of our world, so I can't speak directly to the culture of leader and country beyond what we hear from those who lived it as adults. I remember snippets of misery index, and comments which, as a child, were without context.

Given this perspective, and my own personal faith journey, this memoir brings amazing light to the struggle of trying to bring to
Stephanie
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read by a great, humble, and faith filled man. I admittedly knew very little about our 39th President before picking this book up, and I look forward to delving more into his presidency in other books to follow.

As a person of faith and philosophical curiosities, this book fulfilled what I hoped as to delving into greater issues of how faith functions in a religious sense and in a governmental sense. I was particularly struck by how difficult a job a governmental leader holds to uphold f
Joy Matteson
Jimmy Carter has penned a profusion of books about his presidential career, his early life, morality, and political ideologies. Now at 93, he has written a memoir about his faith in God that sustains him throughout his long life. Narrated in his signature soft Southern drawl, Carter’s passion for relating how his faith grounded him throughout his early life, his Presidential years, and even throughout his cancer diagnosis is inspiring. On occasion, his words are difficult to understand, as his e ...more
Robert Pinto
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faith: A Journey For All by Jimmy Carter guides the reader on a spiritual journey on what it means to have faith regardless of your profession or where you live in this world. It is very personal and revealing, at times giving intimate details of Jimmy Carter's personal life and those close to him. Sprinkled throughout the book are passages from the bible including the book of Romans, Corinthians, Matthew, Paul, and Revelation. You will find that the book flows very well from passage to passage. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Defiant: What the Women of Exodus Teach Us about Freedom
  • Song of the Trees (Logans, #3)
  • April 4, 1968: Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Death and How It Changed America
  • Divided We Fall: America's Secession Threat and How to Restore Our Nation
  • Reaganland: America's Right Turn 1976-1980
  • I'm Fine with God... It's Christians I Can't Stand: Getting Past the Religious Garbage in the Search for Spiritual Truth
  • The Return of the Butterfly
  • The Ayatollahs' Democracy: An Iranian Challenge
  • A Christmas Blizzard
  • The Making of a Leader: Recognizing the Lessons and Stages of Leadership Development
  • Goliath Must Fall Study Guide: Winning the Battle Against Your Giants
  • Better Together: Making Church Mergers Work
  • A Fragile Stone: The Emotional Life of Simon Peter
  • Speak Out : Awakening Mission and Discipleship through Private and Public Communication
  • I Am Restored: How I Lost My Religion but Found My Faith
  • The Custodian of Paradise
  • Drinking Water: A History
  • I Have Something to Tell You

James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. was the thirty-ninth President of the United States, serving from 1977 to 1981, and the recipient of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize. Prior to becoming president, Carter served two terms in the Georgia Senate and as the 76th Governor of Georgia, from 1971 to 1975.

As president, Carter

News & Interviews

“A person should have as our goal complete agape (self-sacrificial love). The most we can expect from a society is to institute simple justice.” 3 likes
“He explains the true character of the God of love and reassures us that ultimate power on earth will be good, not evil. It is through God and his Son that I strive to understand the world in which we live.” 1 likes