Start by marking “The Brain: A User's Guide” as Want to Read:
The Brain: A User's Guide

The Brain: A User's Guide

Join New Scientist on a mind-expanding rollercoaster ride through intelligence, creativity, your unconscious and beyond.Congratulations! You're the proud owner of the most complex information processing device in the known universe. The human brain comes equipped with all sorts of useful design features, but also many bugs and weaknesses. Problem is you don't get an owner' ...more
Published October 23rd 2018 by Nicholas Brealey

To ask other readers questions about The Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brain

Start your review of The Brain: A User's Guide
Chip
Nov 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Pop science at it's finest.... If you have a brain, you don't need to waste time reading this book.
Ketan Ramteke
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed is, but as my brain is not strong enough to store all the information provided in the book I might start considering nicotine and rapid left to right eye movement to boost my mental capabilities 🤭
Jokes aside, it was very interesting read and definitely learned thing or two about our brain which is merely 2% our bodyweight, gobbles up ~20% of energy to make us what we are.
Jacob North
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent guide to our human mind! Full of interesting tidbits with practical applications to helping improve your mental capacity and understanding the quirks and features of the most high-tech device in existence.
Ryan Shea
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great compilation of all the odd ways in which our brain works. Is there free will? How do we record memories? What do those with strange brain anomalies tell us about how our brain works?

Yes it is a compliation, but I certainly enjoyed it.
Ed
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good superficial overview for the layperson about some of the aspects of the brain. Does not dive deep enough for a proper understanding, but presents the reader with a good foundation from which to understand deeper research of various research fields related to the brain.
Victoria Kregas
May 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Found the book too superficial. Thought I'd get a more in-depth overview of the key topics.
Cloay
- available in SG NLB 612.82 (Sengkang
James Miller
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lots of detail, lots of images. Lacks the references to New Scientist articles I had expected.
Paul
Oct 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Lazy compilation of what I imagine must've been a weekly column. Nothing else explains the endless repetitions and the general depth lacking pop science trivia.
Keith Oddy
Typical New Scientists

Got more from the read than expected. Typical New Scientist, much content yet somehow style over substance. Thought provoking illustrations.
Abdessamad Benghazala
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My current Bible. I only swear by the researches done in this book, the diversity of examples shown here are mystifying. The brain is indeed a miracle, just not yours to play with or control.
Lozza
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Cuckoo's Cry
  • Chernobyl: The History of a Nuclear Catastrophe
  • The Elephant in the Brain: Hidden Motives in Everyday Life
  • King of Sting: The Story of Australian Conman Peter Foster. An Audible Original
  • The Four Horsemen: The Conversation That Sparked an Atheist Revolution
  • Sunfall
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • Conscious: A Brief Guide to the Fundamental Mystery of the Mind
  • On quiet
  • The Little Book of Big Beauty
  • Thunder Below!: The USS *Barb* Revolutionizes Submarine Warfare in World War II
  • War Doctor: Surgery on the Front Line
  • Extinction Rebel: Greta T (Eco Book 1)
  • Humanimal: How Homo Sapiens Became Nature’s Most Paradoxical Creature—A New Evolutionary History
  • Underland: A Deep Time Journey
  • The Conception of Terror: Tales Inspired by M. R. James - Volume 1
  • The Planets
  • Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries