Start by marking “Angus All Aglow” as Want to Read:
Angus All Aglow

Angus All Aglow

Angus loves sparkly things, so much so that he can hear them. To Angus, shiny objects not only  look beautiful; they also crackle, buzz and go whiz-bang-POP! His unique ability is lost, however, when Angus wears his grandma's beaded necklace to school, and his classmates tease him for his atypical choice. Saddened by their laughter, Angus stops hearing the sparkle.

A gentle
Published September 11th 2018 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Angus All Aglow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angus All Aglow

Start your review of Angus All Aglow
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Angus likes sparkling things and bright colours. These include the diamond studs of his dog's collar,the stars, the sequins on his sister's ballet skirt and even the way the sun shines on the water. He also loves what he calls shiny sounds and words like lustrous and glittering. He hears these sounds when he looks at shiny things. When his grandmother sees him admiring her sparkling beaded necklace, she gives it to him and he decides to wear it to school the next day. Unfortunately, not everyone ...more
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I was a child, there were no books about kids that didn't fit into the norm because they liked things that people thought only girls liked, or only boys liked. I wish there had been, but can't think of any, except that there were a few girls that were tom boys.

Then, in the 1970s, Williams Doll came out. It wasn't great, but it tried to show that boys can like girl things too, and there was nothing wrong with it, though it coached it with say, this was how you trained to be a good dad, so i
Karen Nelson
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a speech language pathologist working with young children, I must emphasize how many children should read Angus All Aglow. It’s a sweet, little story of acceptance and friendship. The illustrations help support the text about an amazing child, Angus, who loves sparkling things, both words and objects. His grandmother gives him her sparkly necklace for a day at school. His mates don’t embrace his love for his choices and the necklace breaks. His friend, Melody, helps him make a new one to help ...more
Ioanna
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Angus likes sparkling things. From the diamond studs of his dog's collar, to the star that shine bright at night, he just adores anything that sparkles. In fact, all those bright, shiny objects seem to make beautiful sounds around him.

Our little friend decides to wear a sparkly necklace at school one day. Unfortunately, not everyone seem to understand or respect different tastes. So, his schoolmates act rudely, making fun of him. Disappointed, Angus seems to have lost his love for glowing thing.
Mary Lee
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Another "boy who likes sparkly things" bend-the-gender-expectations book where a boy ventures into girl territory and is shamed for it. What do books like this REALLY teach children about gender expectations?
Julie
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. The illustrations were simple but conveyed a lot. I loved the descriptive text and fun words. I think it gives an important message about teasing and also about standing out. It also shows how important it is to have someone truly understand you!
#netgalley
Storywraps
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This delightful story highlights gender stereotypes, loyal friendship, celebrating differences and boosting self-esteem, all qualities that kids need to hear about these days.

Angus is an adorable little boy who happens to love all things sparkly. He is so tuned into their beautiful auras that he hears them snap, crackle and pop. He adores sparkly words too such as lustrous, scintillating, gleaming and his all-time favourite.... glistening. Mmmm... mmmmm... divine!!!!

His loving Grandma June notic
Katie
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, storytime
A story you can read with your eyes and your ears. The illustrations do well to not only illustrate the text but show the emotions of the main character with the colors on the page. The text moves around and has different colored text and fonts for words that make sounds, which is visually appealing. Plus the story just warms the heart-a young kiddo loves things that are bright and sparkly and is super happy when his grandmother gives him her necklace. But a negative experience causes him distre ...more
Aliza Werner
Angus loves all things sparkly. But he’s a boy, and according to gender norms, he shouldn’t. But sparkly things make him feel sparkly inside. When he wears his favorite sparkly item, his grandma’s necklace, to school, kids react negatively and make rude comments, dimming Angus’s sparkle. Angus finds a way to get his literal and metaphorical sparkle back with the support of a friend. I love this story for many reasons: the MC bends gender norms, the family is interracial, rainbow pride is shown c ...more
Richelle Zirkle
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a super sweet story about a boy fascinated with bright, shiny things. Every brilliant thing around him has a sound all its own. When Angus decides to wear the necklace from his grandma to school one day, some of the other students don't appreciate his sense of style. Angus breaks the necklace and the sounds of bright objects seem to disappear. Will the acceptance of Angus's friend Melody be able to help him feel like himself again?

The illustrations are cute and appealing. This title is
Sandy
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A very sweet book about a little boy who loves sparkly things. And really, who doesn't love that? Unfortunately there are others who don't like that he likes these things and make fun of him or try to talk him out of wearing his favorite necklace. The illustrations are so colorful and bright that you can almost hear all the pops, clacks, and buzzes.
Jenn
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Has great word choice.
Angus loves sparkly things. When he goes to school, he is teased about his necklace. His family tried to warn him, in order to avoid the hurt they saw coming. What Angus doesn't expect is the response of one of his classmates. A great book about friendship, inclusion, emotions, and how things don't have to be labeled boy or girl.
Cat
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I understand this book perfectly! Colors pop for me, too! I like that when the necklace broke Angus made bracelets out it for he and his friend, Melody! I am sre the illustrations will be wonderful in color! Littles and young readers are going to enjoy this book.
I received a Kindle Arc from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Freddie D
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a fellow fan of all that glitters, this sweet tale really spoke to me. I love the way that this evokes sight and sound, with it's brilliant colours and wonderful onomatopoeia. It's ultimately a story about friendship, love and acceptance surrounding self expression and identity.
Neha Thakkar
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Peg
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read the audio book.
Kat
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zz2018-fiction
What a cute story about a boy who loves sparkly things. A great book that will help to open communication with kids about being different and accepting people as they are. #Netgalley
Story
Jul 12, 2020 rated it liked it
It was okay. I thought it ended abruptly.
Esme
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can read this as a story about synesthesia, or gender expectations, or friendship. Either way, it's a winner.
Liz Lowe
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful story encouraging children to express themselves.
Crystal
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: gender, picture-book
I'm not sure that I want to see any more books where the parents and classmates are reacting negatively to a boy who likes sparkly things. I don't know precisely why, but it bothered me in the book. Or rather, I guess I've read other books that deal with this topic in a way that I appreciated more. I'm not sure if I'm making sense.
Megan
Mar 19, 2019
Ro Menendez
Jan 05, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Book linking to wrong author 6 23 Apr 03, 2018 08:04AM

• Clarence's Big Secret
  • Extraordinary Jane
  • Spencer's New Pet
  • Not ’Til Tomorrow, Phoebe
  • Ira Crumb Feels the Feelings
  • Jabari Jumps (Jabari, #1)
  • Be Kind
  • Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You
  • Harriet Gets Carried Away
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Good Rosie
  • Cake
  • The Big Umbrella
Originally from Newfoundland, Heather Smith now lives in Waterloo, Ontario, with her husband and three children. Her Newfoundland roots inspire much of her writing.