Start by marking “Angus All Aglow” as Want to Read:
Angus All Aglow

Angus All Aglow

Angus loves sparkly things, so much so that he can hear them. To Angus, shiny objects not only  look beautiful; they also crackle, buzz and go whiz-bang-POP! His unique ability is lost, however, when Angus wears his grandma's beaded necklace to school, and his classmates tease him for his atypical choice. Saddened by their laughter, Angus stops hearing the sparkle.

A gentle
Published September 11th 2018 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Angus All Aglow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angus All Aglow

Carla Johnson-Hicks
Angus likes sparkling things and bright colours. These include the diamond studs of his dog's collar,the stars, the sequins on his sister's ballet skirt and even the way the sun shines on the water. He also loves what he calls shiny sounds and words like lustrous and glittering. He hears these sounds when he looks at shiny things. When his grandmother sees him admiring her sparkling beaded necklace, she gives it to him and he decides to wear it to school the next day. Unfortunately, not everyone ...more
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I was a child, there were no books about kids that didn't fit into the norm because they liked things that people thought only girls liked, or only boys liked. I wish there had been, but can't think of any, except that there were a few girls that were tom boys.

Then, in the 1970s, Williams Doll came out. It wasn't great, but it tried to show that boys can like girl things too, and there was nothing wrong with it, though it coached it with say, this was how you trained to be a good dad, so i
Karen Nelson
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a speech language pathologist working with young children, I must emphasize how many children should read Angus All Aglow. It’s a sweet, little story of acceptance and friendship. The illustrations help support the text about an amazing child, Angus, who loves sparkling things, both words and objects. His grandmother gives him her sparkly necklace for a day at school. His mates don’t embrace his love for his choices and the necklace breaks. His friend, Melody, helps him make a new one to help ...more
Gianna
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Angus likes sparkling things. From the diamond studs of his dog's collar, to the star that shine bright at night, he just adores anything that sparkles. In fact, all those bright, shiny objects seem to make beautiful sounds around him.

Our little friend decides to wear a sparkly necklace at school one day. Unfortunately, not everyone seem to understand or respect different tastes. So, his schoolmates act rudely, making fun of him. Disappointed, Angus seems to have lost his love for glowing thing.
Mary Lee
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Another "boy who likes sparkly things" bend-the-gender-expectations book where a boy ventures into girl territory and is shamed for it. What do books like this REALLY teach children about gender expectations?
Julie
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. The illustrations were simple but conveyed a lot. I loved the descriptive text and fun words. I think it gives an important message about teasing and also about standing out. It also shows how important it is to have someone truly understand you!
#netgalley
Storywraps
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This delightful story highlights gender stereotypes, loyal friendship, celebrating differences and boosting self-esteem, all qualities that kids need to hear about these days.

Angus is an adorable little boy who happens to love all things sparkly. He is so tuned into their beautiful auras that he hears them snap, crackle and pop. He adores sparkly words too such as lustrous, scintillating, gleaming and his all-time favourite.... glistening. Mmmm... mmmmm... divine!!!!

His loving Grandma June notic
Richelle Zirkle
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a super sweet story about a boy fascinated with bright, shiny things. Every brilliant thing around him has a sound all its own. When Angus decides to wear the necklace from his grandma to school one day, some of the other students don't appreciate his sense of style. Angus breaks the necklace and the sounds of bright objects seem to disappear. Will the acceptance of Angus's friend Melody be able to help him feel like himself again?

The illustrations are cute and appealing. This title is
Cat
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I understand this book perfectly! Colors pop for me, too! I like that when the necklace broke Angus made bracelets out it for he and his friend, Melody! I am sre the illustrations will be wonderful in color! Littles and young readers are going to enjoy this book.
I received a Kindle Arc from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Neha Thakkar
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kat
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zz2018-fiction
What a cute story about a boy who loves sparkly things. A great book that will help to open communication with kids about being different and accepting people as they are. #Netgalley
Megan
Ro Menendez
Jan 05, 2019
Amber Webb
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are so many children who NEED to read Angus All Aglow. This is a definite window and mirror book that will be necessary in classroom and libraries. I fell in love with Angus and his emotions immediately and wanted to share them with everyone. Finding someone he connects with in the end was incredibly precious and powerful. Sometimes all we need is a friend.
Patti Ranson
Nov 02, 2018
Kit Feral
Dec 06, 2018
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Young Angus loves things that sparkle and shine. One day, his gran gives him a bright beautiful necklace with many strands of colourful beads. Delighted with his gift, Angus wears it to school. Unfortunately, his classmates are not as thrilled with his sparkly prize and tease him over it. Disheartened, Angus loses his love for the bright and shiny. That is, til one sweet girl helps him rekindle that love.

My cubs and I adored this book! I'm very much for tolerance, acceptance, and, anthropologist
Beggars Banquet
Dec 24, 2018
Jessica McAllister
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
This is a great book about acceptance of others for what they like and makes them different. The use of sound to convey Angus' changing feelings. It also is a great book about friendship and how our friends are there to support us.
received an ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Amy  Korver
V
Oct 04, 2018 marked it as t
Shelves: 2018t
Why we chose this book:
I had requested a different title from Orca Book Publishers, and they included this book with the other (that review is coming soon). I am glad that they did - there are so many awesome aspects to this book!

Mom's Review (V)

Angus appreciates the beauty of sparkling things. When his grandmother gives him a special necklace of hers, he wears it at school, to the derision of his peers. In his embarrassment, he inadvertently breaks the necklace. A friend collects the beads, and
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Book linking to wrong author 6 22 Apr 03, 2018 08:04AM
Originally from Newfoundland, Heather Smith now lives in Waterloo, Ontario, with her husband and three children. Her Newfoundland roots inspire much of her writing.