Start by marking “A Curve in the Road” as Want to Read:
A Curve in the Road

A Curve in the Road

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  27,902 ratings  ·  1,726 reviews
From USA Today bestselling author Julianne MacLean comes a suspenseful, emotionally charged novel that explores the secrets and hidden truths within a seemingly perfect marriage.

Abbie MacIntyre is living the dream in the picturesque Nova Scotia town she calls home. She is a successful surgeon, is married to a handsome cardiologist, and has a model teenage son who is only m
Published August 14th 2018 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Curve in the Road, please sign up.
Aida There’s an audible version on OverDrice/Libby. All you need is an active library card.

·  27,902 ratings  ·  1,726 reviews

Start your review of A Curve in the Road
megan
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Cute, but predictable. Felt the most invested in the dog.
Maureen
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: womens-fiction
I was really hooked on this book especially at the beginning. I sat up late the first night finding it hard to put down. After the first quarter of the story, I felt as though I was watching a Lifetime movie, but I was still interested.

Abbie is a doctor who is married to another doctor, Alan, a cardiologist. At the beginning of the story, she is in a terrible head-on car accident, the fault of a drunk driver. The drunk driver happens to be her husband! He does not survive the wreck and she has
Erin
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley for an e- ARC in exchange for an honest review

Set in Nova Scotia, A Curve in the Road follows the women's lit pattern of a wife discovering her recently deceased husband has a whole whack of secrets. But I found myself reeled in by the relatable characters and the fast paced storyline.
Kat
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Oh my, but this made for an interesting beach read! Think every soap opera twist that could possibly come over the course of a few dozen chapters, pack it in, and you have poor Abby’s life. There’s a car accident, and Abby is horrified to discover the other driver was her husband… and then the shocks just keep on coming! The pacing in this was mostly good. It was a quick, easy read, and the dog scenes completely made the book. Golden retrievers all the way! Some of the emotional questions could ...more
Kathleen
A CURVE IN THE ROAD by Julianne MacLean is a suspenseful, emotionally charged novel that explores the secrets and hidden truths within a seemingly perfect marriage, set in picturesque Nova Scotia.
Abbie MacIntyre's life will never be the same after a car accident caused by a drunk driver. The paramedics rush her to the hospital, but in the darkness of night they cannot find her dog Winston.
This book was a page-turner. It grabbed me from the start and didn't let go. Although there were several t
Bette Crosby
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Julianne MacLean has created a story that will stay with you long after you have finished the book. It is a tale of betrayal, love, soul-searching, and forgiveness. There are twists and turns around every corner and through it all you will find yourself rooting for Abbie MacIntyre, a wife, mother, a woman betrayed, and truly likable protagonist.
Wendy
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-2019, feb-19
A Curve In The Road, by Julianne MacLean, is a riveting tale that pulls you in from the beginning and doesn't let go.
Throughout the entire book the author has the reader wondering about something. If it's not one thing then it's another. This held my attention eager to read more.
Abbie's life is shattered and changes in a matter of seconds when she is seriously injured in a car accident. She tries to make the best choices for herself and her son as they move forward through life-changing circums
Princessdarcy
Feb 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 02-february-2019
ZERO STARS ~ NEGATIVE ZERO STARS

I'm honestly so tired of book jackets hyping up a book only to read through the entire thing and then wish I'd spent that time plucking out my own eyelashes one by one.
Some samples of the mindless drivel that the author thought we needed to know:
(Winston is a dog)
As I stand there watching Winston lift his leg to pee on the pole
Winston’s sumptuous golden coat
pick up my sparkling water and take a sip. Then our waiter brings our appetizers, and we admire the presenta
Tammy(PeaceLoveBooks)
How well do you know your spouse? When Abbie and her husband are in a tragic car accident, Abbie uncovers her husband's secrets while dealing with the aftermath. I went through so many emotions in this book...shock, grief, anger and happiness. A Curve in the Road was very well written and the story flowed easily. I had a hard time putting this one down! ...more
Karen R
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Abbie’s life will never be the same after the fateful night she gets hit by a drunk driver. She is thrown a curveball and her storybook life begins to unravel.

I engaged immediately in this well-paced intriguing story and its’ interesting characters. The author excels at building character relationships and sprinkling in twists I never saw coming. I loved Abbie’s awesome dog Winston who enriched the lives of his ‘humans’ Abbie and her son Zach as they attempt to rebalance their lives. Thanks to
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book! I had a hard time putting it down
Lu Bielefeld
E
R
S

AND RANT...

I didn't like the excuses that our heroine made for her cheating husband.
His attitude was unforgivable.
He cheated on their family and their relationship for three years.
And I still got the impression that he wanted to kill our heroine by crashing his car in hers. I don't know, I got this suspicion.
And the "homewrecker whorebag bitch" aka mistress, still got pregnant by her husband. Unacceptable.
I felt like killing the guy again.
The hu
Dawnie
I can confess without guilt that the cover of this book sucked me in, and when i read what it was about i was even more interested!
I love a good family story. Especially if it is about someone tries that starts new after something bad happens!
This book promised to be a great one for me!

It sadly wasn't.
The writing didn't work that great for me, since it sometimes felt very stilted and at the next moment as if it was rushing through the plot.
The plot itself wasn't that great for me either.
It sa
Christine Nolfi
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A deeply stirring, emotional story of loss, grief, and betrayal that carries the reader on a journey filled with twists and secrets toward an uplifting destination where healing is found in new beginnings. You’ll root for Abbie on every step of her journey, and fall in love with her sweet dog, Winston. Highly recommended.
Kristin Jenkins
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought that after the first couple of chapters, it became little predictable.
Lauren Hughes
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I felt very invested in Winston. Didn’t really care about a single other thing in this book.
Monet
Mar 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
The Cats’ Mother
I requested this from NG because it was about a surgeon whose life is turned upside down by an accident, which sounded interesting, and it’s good to read something other than thrillers for a change. I was a bit worried when I discovered that the author writes predominantly romance novels, as it’s a genre that annoys me too much. However, it was published this week, so I thought I should get on with it, and I ended up enjoying it more than expected.

Abbie is a general surgeon from Halifax, Nova Sc
Rebecca
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
After a car accident, secrets are revealed and Abbie's life is changed forever.

This was a nice, light listen perfect for audiobook. Unfortunately, I didn't connect with any of the characters and after the car accident, I was more worried about the welfare of the dog, Winston, than the husband. Overall, the story line was much too predictable for me, but fans of women's fiction might enjoy it more than I did!

Location: Nova Scotia
Barbara White
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I was sucked into the story from page one and couldn't stop reading. After Abbie's car is slammed off the road by a drunk driver, everything in her life unravels. A CURVE IN THE ROAD is a fast-paced, tightly plotted page-turner; an intricate tale of family secrets, unexpected twists, the resilience of the human spirit, and the coolest dog since Enzo. ...more
Betsy
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh.
A Curve in the Road is exactly what you think it'll be at the outset. (Has it been made into a Lifetime movie yet?) Sometimes a little predictability is okay, but there wasn't much about it that was particularly interesting.
Fred Shaw
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine your worst nightmare. You’re driving on an icy road and as you start into a curve, an oncoming car crosses the center line and heads for you straight on. You swerve to miss the car but end up rolling over and over into a ravine. Your dog was with you in the car but when the car finally settles, he is gone.

As you are being treated in the ER, you discover the driver of the oncoming car is there as well clinging to life. His blood alcohol level was well over the limit and was very drunk.

Yo
Elvan
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it

It was nice to read a book set in Nova Scotia and I was in need of the predictability I've come to expect when I slip into Chick Lit territory. Yes there is a middle aged woman who's life is changed dramatically one stormy night. Yes there is a dog, a golden retriever/ball of love and yes there is a son to protect yet allow to become the good man she knows he will become.
I did think the bad things that happened to Abbie got piled on rather thick but have to say much like a predictable
Roberta Ideus
Aug 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Awful

What is up these days with using first person? Anyone can write in first person. I,I. Me,me. No character development. No other points of view. Boring. It’s like an essay. If books like this are now “Best Sellers” then we are truly in trouble.
Kathryn in FL
I found this an entertaining book but to formulaic to deserve accolades or recommendations for those who enjoy chick-lit drama. A Curve in the Road is one of those, "my lover had secrets and now they're gone, I am in shock" stories. This book seems to evoke a wide range of reviews, so in a sense it is controversial enough to be considered by some. I'll mainly hit on what I liked and didn't enjoy to give you a guide. I'll engage in minor spoilers but given the publisher's blurb, it won't be revea ...more
Cindy
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-netgalley, 2018
This was a book that grabbed you into the story from the very beginning! I love books that start like that. And this one just kept going, twisting my emotions, page by page.

You never know when life is going to throw a big curve your way. And the characters in this book went through so much. Grief, sadness, shock, secrets, happiness, forgiveness...this book had it all. And the author definitely had me not wanting to put the book down.

I've heard so many good things about this author and her books
Isha Coleman
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A Curve in the Road by Julianne MacLean
Life can change on a dime. It's the tests that teach us how strong we can be. A Curve in the Road is a tale of heartache that breeds courage. Abbie is a woman that has it all, until one tragic moment changes everything. Will she weather the storm and reach that hard earned rainbow? MacLean takes a moment in time and turns it into an uplifting journey of hope. The pain has a realism that is heartbreaking as well as relatable, but it's the message beyond t
This review is also available on my blog: Wine Cellar Library

How do you cope with the realization that your seemingly perfect marriage is all a lie? How do you determine how much information is appropriate to divulge to your heartbroken teenage son? Does any of the new information you've gleaned have any significance in the aftermath, anyway? At what point is it appropriate to move on from the past and step into a new life?

Abbie has struggled with both heartbreak and sleep disturbances since her
Britton Epps
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was all over the place and so much was thrown in and I never felt connected because it was so disjointed.
Janice
I don't read Chick Lit all that much. In spite of that, I enjoyed this story and was engaged throughout. ...more

• Winter Cottage
  • Just After Midnight
  • Spring House
  • The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
  • Wish Me Home
ulianne MacLean is a USA Today bestselling author of more than thirty novels, including the contemporary women’s fiction Color of Heaven Series. Readers have described her books as “breathtaking,” “soulful” and “uplifting.” MacLean is a four-time Romance Writers of America RITA finalist and has won numerous awards, including the Booksellers’ Best Award and a Reviewers’ Choice Award from Romantic T ...more

News & Interviews

“Just like the waves that keep rolling onto the beach, happiness may recede sometimes, but then it comes back. It always comes back.” 3 likes
“I needed to understand that maybe sometimes we go through life seeing only what we want to see.” 1 likes