Start by marking “Ruslan and Ludmila” as Want to Read:
Ruslan and Ludmila

Ruslan and Ludmila

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  4,842 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Description: Written in 1820, when Pushkin was very young, Ruslan and Ludmila was his first major work. Its appearance signaled the birth of genius who was soon to make all of Russia resound with his name. The Sun of Russian poetry, as the poet came later to be called, was rising.
Published November 1st 2000 by ЭКСМО (first published 1820)

To ask other readers questions about Ruslan and Ludmila, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruslan and Ludmila

Çağdaş T
İçinde büyücülerin, cadıların, Yunan ve Rus Mitlerinin bulunduğu destansı bir masalı lirik bir poema'ya dönüştürmüş Puşkin. Şarkılar arasında kopukluk- acelecilik hissettim ben. Grimm masallarındaki tadı dahi alamadım. Neyse ki bir solukta bitiyor.
Magdalen
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: russian-roulette
All in all a nice fairy tale, (written in a poem form)
BUT the vocabulary killed me. I didn't expect it to find it so hard.
Sash Chiesa
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Had I been 15, I would've certainly fallen in love with or say fantasized about Ruslan and though I'm not, this poetical work has been successful in charming me. Pushkin's dedication, "Queens of my heart, you lovely girls, they're meant for you and only you" was something I felt throughout. He weaves Russian mythology and folklore in a vibrant manner. With beautiful and warm rhythms, mesmerizing narrative, Ruslan and Lyudmila is a delightful read. In Pushkin's own words, he, "covet(s) no one's c ...more
rosshalde
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ruslan ve Ludmila Puşkin'in yazdığı ilk önemli poemalarından sayılıyor. Yazar yaşadığı dönemde ortaya çıkan farklı bir siyasi düşüncenin etkisi altında olduğu için yazdıklarını - özellikle manzum biçiminde yazdıklarını- okurken az çok Rus kültür tarihini bilmek gerekiyormuş. Bugüne kadar 19. yy Rus edebiyatından pek haz etmedim, ama arka planı hakkında fikir sahibi olunca eserlere bakış açım değişti ve görmediğim şeyleri görmeye başladım. Bu açıdan baktığımda Puşkin'in bu eseri gerçekten yenilik ...more
Jonathan Widell
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read the English translation while listening to a Russian reader read it aloud on an audiobook. Pushkin's verse continues to astound me with its easy flow. Listening to a Russian read the original turns the experience into nothing short of magic. As a Finn, I found it amusing that the Finnish wizard plays such a crucial role in the story and saves the beleaguered Kiev from the barbaric Pechenegs by bringing the protagonist Ruslan back to life at the end of the story. The Finnish wizard is to R ...more
Alp Turgut
Puşkin'in eski ve epik bir Rus masalını konu aldığı "Ruslan i Lyudmila / Ruslan and Ludmila / Ruslan ve Ludmila ", cesur şövalye Ruslan'ın kaçırılan prenses Ludmila'yı şeytani büyücü Çernomor'dan kurtarışını anlatan harika bir destansı şiir örneği ve Puşkin'in en ünlü iki şiirinden biri. Destansı şiir olması ve fantastik havası sebebiyle Homeros'un "İlyada" ve "Odysseia" başyapıtlarının izinden giden eserde Puşkin'in şiir diline hayran kalıyorsunuz. Sürükleyici ve zevkli bir okuma keyfi sunmasın ...more
Anna Kļaviņa
On seashore far a green oak towers,
And to it with a gold chain bound,
A learned cat whiles away the hours
By walking slowly round and round.
To right he walks, and sings a ditty;
To left he walks, and tells a tale....

У лукоморья дуб зеленый;
Златая цепь на дубе том:
И днем и ночью кот ученый
Все ходит по цепи кругом;
Идет направо - песнь заводит,
Налево - сказку говорит.

Masterpiece. I grow up listening to this poem and watching movie. (http://www.youtube.com/movie?v=2UoO2t... with English subtitles)

Jessica
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Part Odyssey, part 1,001 Nights, part Russian folktale: all awesome. Seriously, Pushkin is a genius. I will now add him to my list of favorite authors and commence the digital stalking.
Irina Paley
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I used to think that this was a lovely fairy tale, but then I met a Pushkin scholar who told me that this is actually a story of sexual perversion with major homo-erotic undertones. I like it much better now.
Svetlana
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A nice short story in verse filled with magic, heroes, battles and love. Whats not to love about it?
Marc Gerstein
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
I’ve heard this characterized as a fairy tale or a children’s story and I can see where it has a ton of appeal on that basis. And, we know, Glinka thought it had enough adult reach to have written an opera based on it (and movie adaptations followed). But beyond all that, I think this is an incredible and important literary work in and of itself.

It can always be debated whether a work of literature is best appreciated by focusing entirely on the work standing on its own, versus reading it with a
Trounin
В душе поэта есть мечта. Без той мечты не может жить поэт. Мечта его на взгляд легка, но тяжелее её нет. Желает написать поэму он, а написать поэму сложно: в свой слог поэт влюблён, мнится ему — написать возможно. И вот идея появилась, за то благодарность Карамзину, мечта почти осуществилась, осталось сложить поэму свою. О древности седой, о богатырских подвигах писать, любовью строки переполнить, читателю пора об истории канувшей узнать, забытое былое вспомнить. Пусть сплошь вымысел в сказе гер ...more
Mike
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned
I’ve never been had as much enthusiasm for epic poetry as I have for prose, but Pushkin’s narrative poetry is simply a joy to read. This is the poem that sparked modern Russian literature, much in the same way Goethe’s Werther did for German literature. The tale is enchanting, the language is gorgeous, and allusions to both Russian folklore and classic hero myth provide a perfect fusion makes this poem feel both ancient and new. To think that Pushkin wrote this in his late teens is remarkable.
B
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing publication of a foundational title in Russian literature. Side-by-side English and Russian text, which is tremendously helpful for bilingual readers. Bizarrely, there were two sets of endnotes--not quite sure why they couldn't have been combined or presented better to be more helpful.
Luzbeth De Lenfent
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
La verdad es que esperaba otro final, pero está bastante bien y en general supero mis expectativas. Lo recomiendo para leer en un momento libre a quienes gusten de los cuentos y la fantasía épica.
Gijs Grob
Ironisch episch gedicht waarin in zes zangen het sprookje verteld wordt van de mooie Ljoedmila die op haar bruiloft met Roeslan ontvoerd wordt door de tovenaar-dwerg Tsjernomor. Roeslan trekt er met drie rivalen op uit om haar te gaan zoeken...

Roeslan en Ljoedmila is een sprookje in de beste Russische traditie, maar Poesjkin lijkt weinig serieus in zijn eigen vertelling. Hij kan levendig schrijven en zijn poëzie swingt. Poesjkin schrijft in de tegenwoordige tijd, waarmee hij de lezer soms goed e
Kienie
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Didn't really do it for me. It meanders too much, but at the same time some scenes just don't get enough attention. So they just forgive Fralf? Is he at least banished? And what about Naina the witch? Presumably she still hates the Finn wizard. She probably doesn't really care about Ruslan, but if he's the Finn's chosen, wouldn't she want some revenge? As for Chernomor...they just let him live in the castle! Beards do grow back...unless that's part of the magic of the sword, and it won't grow ba ...more
Luna de Selene
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cuentos
La primera vez que conocí el nombre de Pushkin fue en una de las obras de Dostoievsky, Crimem y Castigo. Me intrigó conocer sus obras pero al tiempo se me olvidó buscarlas. Y resulta ser que de casualidad estaba leyendo este libro y al mirar el nombre del autor resultó ser el mismísimo Pushkin. Como diría kiko, "qué cosas, ¿no?"

Me gustó mucho el ingenio que aplicó al redactar esta historia sobre Liudmila, la hermosa princesa; y su prometido, Ruslán.
Sin embargo, me quedé con las ganas de encontr
Milan Grujić
Jan 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Od svih Puškinovih dela, ova poemičica me je jedina razočarala. U poređenju sa ostatkom njegovog stvaralaštva, deluje mi na naivnu pričicu dobra i zla. Jedna zvezdica je možda stroga ocena sa moje strane, ali svakako treba uzeti kao olakšavajuću okolnost to da je ovu poemu Puškin pisao dok je bio tinejdžer.
Zoya
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, russian
I love Kochergin's illustrations, specially black and white ones (the colour ones seem to be a tiny bit blurry), but that could be because the edition I had in my childhood was illustrated by him as well.
Yuriy.bylinkin
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Читали с сыном перед сном.
Меня немного напрягало обилие "эротических" моментов в поэме.
Оказывается это одна из первых поэм Пушкина. Поэма изначально была еще более откровенной, но под давлением критики Пушкин изменил ее.
Прикольно читалось - особенно боевые моменты очень хорошо у нас шли.
Anna
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is absolutely fantastic on all levels.

All I wanna know is - who still can recite the entire laundry-list of fables that is the opening piece (comeon, you know you hadda memorize it in 2nd grade!)
Brittany
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Really 2.5 stars. The work wanders off-topic several times to the detriment of the story (though, according to the information available about Pushkin, the piece provides great insight to his life at the time and at the time of the republication).
Алекса Риано
А это мое основное ревью.
Truman Bullard
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Mainly important to me as the source of Glinka's
intricate and colorful opera.
Ivi
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
2,6*
Tina
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i love that book!
Nandini Pradeep J
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a reason why Pushkin is one of my beloved poets... This explicates it...
Namel
  • Малахитовая шкатулка. Уральские сказы
  • Peter the First
  • The Storm
  • Selected Poems
  • Волшебник Изумрудного города (Волшебник Изумрудного города, #1)
  • Village Evenings Near Dikanka and Mirgorod
  • Mumu
  • Алые паруса (Scarlet Sails)
  • The Collected Poems
  • Горе от ума
  • Приключения Незнайки
  • The Three Fat Men
  • Олеся: Повесть
  • Тёмные аллеи
  • Selected Poems
Alexander Sergeevich Pushkin was a Russian Romantic author who is considered to be the greatest Russian poet and the founder of modern Russian literature Pushkin pioneered the use of vernacular speech in his poems and plays, creating a style of storytelling—mixing drama, romance, and satire—associated with Russian literature ever since and greatly influencing later Russian writers.

Born in Moscow,
More about Alexander Pushkin...
“И там я был, и мед я пил; У моря видел дуб зеленый; Под ним сидел, и кот ученый Свои мне сказки говорил. Одну я помню: сказку эту Поведаю теперь я свету...” 0 likes