Start by marking “I'd Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life” as Want to Read:
I'd Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life

I'd Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  11,687 ratings  ·  2,695 reviews
For so many people, reading isn't just a hobby or a way to pass the time--it's a lifestyle. Our books shape us, define us, enchant us, and even sometimes infuriate us. Our books are a part of who we are as people, and we can't imagine life without them.

I'd Rather Be Reading is the perfect literary companion for everyone who feels that way. In this collection of charming an
Published September 4th 2018 by Baker Books
Featured Notes & Highlights
Anne Bogel
Anne Bogel - author

To ask other readers questions about I'd Rather Be Reading, please sign up.
Marie Braz I think it might be categorized under faith because Anne does write about faith sometimes but it is not mentioned in this book at all. I think she’s j…moreI think it might be categorized under faith because Anne does write about faith sometimes but it is not mentioned in this book at all. I think she’s just linked to the genre because of other writings.(less)
Diana Wilder lt is offered by various sellers at different prices, depending on whether the book is new.

·  11,687 ratings  ·  2,695 reviews

Start your review of I'd Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life
Mischenko
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I found I'd Rather Be Reading at my local library and couldn't resist. I wasn't familiar with the author and it was the title that made me grab it. This was a fun, quick read containing a collection of short essays regarding life as a reader. Learning about the author's experiences as a bibliophile was interesting and I found that I could relate to many of them, especially the essays about book problems, how books shape us as people, and how books find us.

As a devoted reader, I lovingly give cou
Lauren
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-shop-reads
Readers, listen up.

This book is a hot beverage & a cozy blanket on a chilly evening, or a cold glass of sweet tea on a summer’s day. It is Bag End to Frodo Baggins. It is delighted gasps, mhmmm’s, giggles, “I never thought of that!”s, & “I do that too!”s.

It is the perfect gift for a fellow reader or the perfect comfort read for a Tuesday. (Or any other time ending in “day”.)

Pick this one up ASAP & spend a minute with a kindred spirit. You won’t regret it.
Anne Bogel
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It has just come to my attention that I never reviewed my own book! Well, I'm making amends for that right now, today.

I hope readers find that this beautiful book does exactly what it set out to do: entertain readers and delight them, make them laugh and maybe get a little teary, cause them to nod in understanding and pause to consider their own reading lives.

I hope this book inspires readers to remember why they fell in love with reading in the first place, and to look to the shelves in libra
Virginie
Do you have a friend with whom you can talk about your reading/book addiction? I don't really have one, but I felt like Anne Bogel was mine while I was reading her book. I enjoyed this feeling so much!

I read a couple of nonfiction books-about-books, but that's the first one where the author talked about libraries as much as Bogel did. She understands me so well... Was this book written about me or what? Just like her, my dad used to buy books and my mother used to bring me to the library. It was
Carol
Dec 11, 2018 added it
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm a fan of Anne Bogel's. I read her blog, The Modern Mrs. Darcy, listen to her podcast, What Should I Read Next?, so it was a no brainer to read her book, I'd Rather Be Reading. The subtitle alone brought joy to this reader.

One of my favorite parts of Bogel's book memories was her time spent living next door to the library. Imagine what this means to a book lover. Any time the library is open you can just swing on by.

Her love of reading began at an early age. Her mother grew up visiting the
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I really need to reread this one.

I can so relate well with the author.
What she feels about reading, writing, other authors,the different types of readers,book hoarders and so much more.
No one has ever put down in words the life of a reader so well.
There are many books that were mentioned in the book that I am planning to read. Yes, reading a book on books does that👍
Recommended to all. This will be a very encouraging book for those who plan to read more.
One of the best reads ever👌
Jami Balmet
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m a little torn on this one. Really I think I would give this a 3.5. I enjoyed the chapters (the first half probably more) and found myself nodding along a lot as a fellow bookish girl. But after getting to the end of the book, I felt it was a little dull. I love and cherish books and I love encouragement for reading more...but the book gave little else. I thought she would go into HOW to pick the right books for you, tips she’s learned from picking books for dozens of people on her podcast, e ...more
Maxwell
A delightful collection of book-ish essays by Anne. I related so hard to all of the musings about being a reader, about book addictions, hoarding books, canceling plans to finish a read, etc. Anne is a lovely person who has written a beautiful little book that you should definitely go read and then buy a copy for the reader in your life.
Ana
Having finished the book, the one question I had in mind was “What was the point of this book?”

Nothing I haven’t already read in perhaps hundreds of lengthy articles and quirky blog posts of my favourite bookish people, and even then, from one link to another, I felt more connected and got more in-depth approaches to almost every imaginable bookish problem than this collection of vignettes evokes.

To quote the author: “Did I just choose to spend four hours of my life on this?” Granted, it was an
Megan
Well, here I am again, having a total opposite opinion about a book than the majority of people on Goodreads! I promise I wanted to like this and am not just being contrary just for the sake of it!

So important thing to note: I have 131 books on my "books-about-books" shelf so you could very much say it is my thing. I’d say about half are of the same non-fiction anecdotal/essay style as this one.

I listen to Anne's podcast about books pretty regularly and again, I think I may be the only reader no
mindful.librarian ☀️
(I received a free copy of this book as a member of the launch team).

This book is an absolute delight. It’s a beautiful small volume of essays about books and reading and is something every avid reader will want to read and savor. And if you are looking for a gift idea for a bookish friend in your life, what an amazing choice this book would be! This book made me laugh so hard I cried, and then it flipped and made me cry for real. I related to every single word and will definitely be re-reading
Diane Barnes
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Another book about books for my shelf. Like talking to a good friend about "book nerd problems".
Raymond
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Reading isn't just a hobby or a pastime; it's a lifestyle"

"I'm grateful for my one life, but I'd prefer to live a thousand-and my favorite books allow me to experience more on the page than I ever could in my actual life."

"Old books, like old friends, are good for the soul"

"Books are portals to all kinds of memories-but only if I can remember that I read them" -Anne Bogel

This is one of the best books for book lovers. Anne Bogel’s book reminds you why you love to read and gives useful tips on h
Giselle Bradley
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
Now I've this 3 times. In 6 months. It just fills me with joy.

If there is any book I have read this year that I would recommend that YOU read. It's this. If you are a reader, a book-lover, or a library user, please pick this up. It spoke to my soul like no other. I have never read something so relatable before. Anne perfectly captures what it's like to love books with such an intense passion. After I finished this I picked it up and read the whole book again cover to cover. This is the epitome
Nat
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays, nonfiction
bookspoils i
Book Lovers’ Delight: I’d Rather Be Reading by Anne Bogel

“We are readers. Books grace our shelves and fill our homes with beauty; they dwell in our minds and occupy our thoughts. Books prompt us to spend pleasant hours alone and connect us with fellow readers. They invite us to escape into their pages for an afternoon, and they inspire us to reimagine our lives.”

The audiobook for Anne Bogel's I'd Rather Be Reading, read by the author, was the perfect companion to a day filled with cookin
RuthAnn
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you to Baker Books for my free copy!

This collection of essays is charming and chatty, and I will definitely give it as a gift in the future. I nodded along as I read - lots of "me, too!" reactions along the way. I have to imagine that any bookish person will feel similarly. It's a bit of preaching to the choir, but readers gonna read, so it's all good. The only reason I'm not effusive about this book is that, as a regular reader of Modern Mrs. Darcy and listener to the What Should I Read
Kevin
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love books about books and this one hit the nail right on the head. My favorite essay is the one where she talks about when here house was right next door to the library, and I could fantasize that my house was right next door to my favorite library too. Even though I'm lucky enough to be easy walking distance to 2 branches of my towns library. Among other of my favorite topics were how to organinze your book shelves and the joy of rereading.
Christy
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book about books and reading... Yes please! I love Anne Bogel and thought this was a fun read.
Madeleine (Top Shelf Text)
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Thank you to Baker Books for my free copy! Full review originally published at: https://topshelftext.org/topshelftext...

Anne Bogel, creator of Modern Mrs. Darcy and the What Should I Read Next? podcast, writes thoughtfully and beautifully on what it means to be a reader.

In I'd Rather Be Reading, Anne writes about everything from how to organize your bookshelves, to being book bossy (I am so guilty, by the way), and classic bookworm problems. Just the other day as I drove home from the library, m
Kelly Hager
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, you guys. You guys. If you are a constant reader, you need this book. I've seriously never felt so seen.

As you know, reading is primarily a solitary thing. You probably have actively literate friend or are in a book club (or multiple book clubs) but generally it's you and a book. Or you and books, plural, if you're like my friend Bekki and have multiple books going at once.

But this book is for us. As I write this, I'm in the middle of an especially book-filled weekend. I watched To All the
Kaytee Cobb
I love this collection. I'm not a re-reader, but I know I will pick This up to read these essays again and again. I know I will turn back to these book darted pages for smiles and comfort and sweetness and even ideas in the future. This is absolutely THE love letter to books that I've always wanted on my shelves, and this little book will be with me for the rest of my days.
Kari Ann Sweeney
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Do you remember the scene in You've Got Mail when Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan have this conversation:
📚
Kathleen Kelly: Mr. 152 insights into my soul.
Joe Fox: Oh yeah. No competing with that.
📚
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Well- it wasn’t a person, but a book. From cover to cover this absolutely delightful book is filled with insights and reflections that filled my bookish soul.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Happy release day to this gem. I received my copy as part of the launch team, but I ordered a couple more copies to give as gifts.
Lisa
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-bookstores
My copy of I'd Rather Be Reading is a small hardcover book with a beautiful cover. Holding it and reading it was a calming experience during a very stressful week. There is nothing new or groundbreaking here - just a fellow book lover sharing her experiences and insights about reading. That's exactly what I needed and I enjoyed every page.
Robin
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved every word of this book. Whether you prefer to be called a bookworm, booklover, booknerd, or even bibliomaniac, Bogel not only completely understands our world but is able to eloquently address all of our "first world" problems. It seemed like every few minutes I was nodding and thinking "Yup, that's me!" or "Boy, can I relate to that dilemma!" There are many passages I could quote but it would make this review way too long, so since it's a short book I'll let you have the fun of discove ...more
Katie
Anne Bogel writes exactly the same way she speaks on her podcast, "What Should I Read Next?" Her personal essays made me feel like I was getting to know her and her reading habits as a close friend. Her writing style is casual but elegant, making this book a very easy and pleasant read. I picked up a few very handy tips, such as not skipping the Acknowledgements section of books.

Anne Bogel is a booklover's best friend and her website and podcast are such invaluable resources for bookish people
Rachel B
Oct 02, 2018 rated it did not like it

While a few of these essays were cute, I was quite disappointed with this book overall, for several reasons.

In the very first chapter, "Confess Your Literary Sins," Bogel lists various reading "secrets" and then states, "... absolution is unnecessary. These secrets aren't sins." (p 24) However, she lists benign things like "you've never read Jane Austen" right next to things like "they've read the Outlander series eight times" (Outlander is well-known for having strong sexual content) a
Janelle Janson
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
“I’m grateful for my one life, but I’d prefer to live a thousand.” - Anne Bogel

I am an avid reader, a hardcore bibliophile, but the most wonderful thing about this lovely collection of essays is that it’s for every type of reader. Whether you pick up one or twenty books a month, it’s like sitting down with a friend for that inevitable, fun, and familiar book chat we all love so much. It touches on a bit of everything, including bookish problems, book friends, and bookshelves, along with literar
Cyndi
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great title for a book! Because, I mean c’mon! Isn’t that how almost everyone on GR feels? Wouldn’t we all ‘rather be reading’? The only thing that changes is location and choice of beverage. (I like a comfy chair by the fire and a cup of green tea)
This excellent book has a series of essays, or blog entries 🤷🏼‍♀️, on the reading life and all its rewards. This is a woman who Gets It. Plus she spotlights some wonderful books along with some spot on tips. 😊💕📚
Anton
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Honest, genuine and utterly charming! What a delight!
Ankit Garg
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is nothing if not a walk down the nostalgia lane and a treasure trove of good books to read.

• Book Girl: A Journey Through the Treasures and Transforming Power of a Reading Life
  • Bibliophile: An Illustrated Miscellany
  • Harry's Trees
  • The River
  • MOOM
  • Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader
  • The Wondering Years: How Pop Culture Helped Me Answer Life’s Biggest Questions
  • Cozy Minimalist Home: More Style, Less Stuff
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
  • Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir
  • The Library Book
  • I Miss You When I Blink: Essays
Anne Bogel is an author, the creator of the blog Modern Mrs. Darcy, and host of What Should I Read Next? podcast.

Don’t Overthink It: Make Easier Decisions, Stop Second-Guessing, and Bring More Joy to Your Life releases March 3, 2020.

Her second book I’d Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life explores the way our books shape, define, enchant, and even sometimes infuriate us

Articles featuring this book

Perhaps we're biased, but we believe books are the perfect gift for any occasion. And it doesn't have to be stressful buy...
“A good book, when we return to it, will always have something new to say. It's not the same book, and we're not the same reader” 62 likes
“People read for a multiplicity of reasons. Nearly forty years in, I can tell you why I inhale books like oxygen: I'm grateful for my one life, but I'd prefer to live a thousand --and my favorite books allow me to experience more on the page than I ever could in my actual life.” 33 likes