Start by marking “White Raven (Raven, #1)” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  4,611 ratings  ·  374 reviews
DREADFUL LIES.
UNEXPECTED LOVE.
IMPOSSIBLE TRUTH.

It only took one heartbeat to change my life—one chilling phone call in the middle of the night.

And then, as if my life didn’t already suck, my dad sends my brother and me to some idyllic island for the summer to live with a grandma we never met. WTH. Naturally, I rebel. In the end, I find myself shipped off to Raven Hallow…an
Paperback, Second Edition, 276 pages
Published March 20th 2016 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published March 20th 2015)

really liked it 4.00  ·

Dannii Elle
I received this book on a read to review basis from NetGalley. Thank you to the author, J. L Weil, and the publisher, Dark Magick Publishing, for this opportunity.

I think this is the sort of book I would have loved whilst in my early teens as the sassy and querulous protagonist, with the every-other-page-presence of eye-rolls and huffy sighs and repertoire of invented insults for people, felt like she would have appealed to my younger self. As an older reader I found her fractious, recalcitrant
Carrie
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
After Piper's mother passes away her father decides to send her to the island of Raven Hollow to live with the grandmother she's never really known. Piper is rebellious and bored being in a place that her mother ran from years ago and never looked back. That is until she meets Zane Hunter and finds herself fascinated with the gorgeous dark-haired bad boy. Piper soon realizes there is something not quite human about Zane and something a bit off about all of Raven Hollow.

White Raven is a book tha
Alaina
uhh... idk.

White Raven was a roller coaster of a book. It had some good parts but most of it was annoying to read through. When you meet Piper, the MC, she was okay. A bit whiny for me.. but then she got worse. I get it though - her mother died, her dad is basically non-existent, and she's moving to her grandmothers (which apparently sucks in her opinion). However, her view on this whole move changes once she steps into town. Her grandmother has a mansion, there's hot guys left and right, and th
Joey Woolfardis
May 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, bloody-cack
Selfish American girl is forced to live with her rich grandma in the middle of nowhere after her mother is shot. Can't even work out why her dad is upset. BUT HOLD ON the house is massive, her suite is massive and there's a hot guy just waiting to take her mind off the fact that her mother was horribly murdered. Yeah, let's get in to his pants. First-person narrative in the voice of a diary of a pathetic little tween that just wants to rebel and twerk semi-naked in da club. Horrible narrative, b ...more
Steph
I did not finish this book. I think this is a sign I should stop reading free Kindle ebooks because had I read the synopsis provided on here I definitely would not have picked this book up.
This book was poorly written in first person as a diary of a self-entitled spoilt brat. I got half way through so I know what is so mysterious about the love interest but that's definitely not a big enough hook to keep me reading.

Here are my notes as I was reading, I'll put it under a spoiler tag and there are
Hetal
Received a copy via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

After the death of her beloved mother, Piper and her younger brother have been shipped off by heard dead-beat dad to live with her mysterious rich grandmother on Raven Hallow. Piper is determined to make her summer as miserable and sucky as possible. Or so was the plan until she met zoe and her her sexy, devil may-care brother Zane Hunter. There is something strange about Zane, however, aside from the electric passion they share(rea
S.J. Abbo
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

You know, I often wonder are all young man in the paranormal world must be a jerk to the heroine in the beginning???

Of course, it's for they (girls) on good. He simply wants to protect her from himself, or somebody/something else, and tray to push her away with bad attitude.

description

All young man out there, next time tray by telling a girl the truth, and maybe, just maybe because of her ignorants, she will not get in the dangerous situation.

And yes, you can pull her hair when you 5 years old, when you ol
Megan
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J.L. Weil is freaking amazing. I love her books. I couldn't put this one down yet AGAIN!!
I can't believe I have to wait a whole year for the next one!! Zane and Piper are meant to be together and I hope they end up together!!
I'm so sad I have to wait for the next one!!! This was a MUST read!!
Andrea Heltsley
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
I loved this book! It's such a great start to a new series! The characters were complex and the romance was well written. Everything unraveled just as it needed to and I'm already needing to know more! Can't wait for the second book!
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jun 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle-books
Definitely not for me, the MC was whinny and super hard to relate to or even feel anything for let alone like. Had to DNF.
Following the murder of her mother, Piper and her brother are sent to Raven Hallow to spend the summer with their Grandmother. Piper is full of anger and bitterness and is not happy to be there. She begins to change her mind when she sees Zane Hunter. There is an instant attraction to the bad boy of the island. Despite everyone warning her away, including Zane himself, Piper just can't stay away. Then strange things start happening to Piper and there are a couple of attempts on her life. Zane is ...more
Rebekah
Found this book through Amazon and it was okay.

I wasn't really impressed with anything and I hated the "soul-mate/insta-love" thing going on. I get what the author did there but it wasn't working for me. It would've been better if it was dragged out a bit more but the sexual tension made it all eye rolling for me.

I did enjoy the story-line and and where the author was taking it, i wish there was more to the world building, and the writing needed more but overall it wasn't horrible.

The main char
Inda
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are three things I look for when reading a paranormal romance.

1. Killer plot.

2. Paranormal race I’ve never heard of before.

3. And the most important: a hot, bad boy alpha male that will make me want to jump in to the pages and steal him away from the heroine.

Which ones did I get to check off in this book?

ALL THREE

This was such a refreshing read. I am a HUGE fan of Ms. Weil’s Divisa series so I knew she would deliver in this new, exciting paranormal series where things are never as they see
☆☆Hannah☆☆
This wasn't a great book but it wasn't a bad one either. I'm thinking maybe that I've been reading too much. I'm starting to feel that so many books are too similar. The main character Piper at times annoyed me. However, I understand that life got the best of her. Hopefully now that she knows who and what she has to deal with maybe she will be different. I will admit that I liked this book enough that I will be reading the next one to find out what happens.
BookLoversLife
When Piper and her brother get the call to say that their mother was murdered, they are all absolutely devastated. Piper's dad decides to send them to their Grandmother, who they don't know, in Ravens Hollow. This is the Grandmother they've never meet, the one who their own mother left so she could be with their father, the one who's rich! From the minute they arrive on the island, Piper and her brothers life changes totally! Can Piper find out the secrets of her mothers life? Why does she keep ...more
Rox
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

i have to say i am torn writing this review...

i loved this book, i really did... the plot is awesome and quite different.

However there were a couple of things that throw me off... but i don't want to say much to not spoil it.

my recommendation? read and judge for yourself!

i know i will be reading the second book for sure!
Beth
Apr 28, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Click Banner to Enter Giveaway Post
Blitz-wide giveaway (US/CAN)
$25 Amazon GC, signed copy of White Raven, and swag
Ends May 7, 2015
Julie
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free in exchange for my honest review.

I really enjoyed the first installment of the Raven series. It had just enough teenage girl angst to be interesting and let the main character Piper be relatable without coming across as teenage drama queen. The book certainly took its time developing Piper and her struggle to accept her mother's death and having to live with her grandmother before it began to explore the paranormal aspects of the story. I really liked that as it gav
Nathalie*
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was really good ;)

I didn’t want it to end.. I’m not to fond of the ending not sure why she had to die. The chemistry and the heat between her and Zane was amazing! He’s character is totally bad ass and his I just like him a lot ;)
Aneta Bak
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
“I will be your sword. I will be your shield. I will defend you until my last breath. This vow I swear freely, to be your weapon as long as you shall live.”

Breathtaking Series. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book.

Piper's mother was murdered. If that wasn't heartbreaking enough, now she is being sent away to live with her grandmother for the summer, back to the same place her mother vowed to never return to. While Piper tries to make an okay summer out of the situation with the handsom
Julie
I really enjoyed the first installment of the Raven series. It had just enough teenage girl angst to be interesting and let the main character Piper be relatable without coming across as teenage drama queen. The book certainly took its time developing Piper and her struggle to accept her mother’s death and having to live with her grandmother before it began to explore the paranormal aspects of the story. I really liked that as it gave the book a contemporary feel for a while.

I also am a fan of t
Jaike
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me it's a 3.5 star rating but closer to the 4 stars than to the 3 stars.
After the dead of Piper's mom she's off to the island Raven Hallow. The island is full of mysteries and she is part of it. But Piper doesn't exactly know what this will mean for her. She is a bit ignorant.

I did like the story a lot. The paranormal / fantasy element of White Raven is very cool. Sadly J.L. Weil chose to reveal it halfway through the story. Which makes the first half a bit boring but it couldn’t stop me fr
Amber
This book was phenomenally good! I loved this book so much that I went and bought the next two books in the series!

Something mysterious happens when Piper is sent away to her Grandmothers house. She is thrown into a world of paranormal beings that she never wanted to be a part of, and yet she also wishes she wasn't left in the dark her whole life.

I thought this book had great character, and world building, but also great relationship building which made the romance in this book so much more fu
Brittany
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Would've gotten 5 stars if Piper wasn't the most annoying protagonist
Tiera McMillian
2.5 stars rounded up. I really liked the premise for this plot. The incorporation of multiple supernatural creatures that aren't really ever written about was great, especially with the original powers bestowed upon said creatures. If I was just rating on the story itself I would say a full on 3 at least even despite the cliches, however when you add in the characters and the extras it kind of brought the star power down a bit for me.

Our FMC, Piper and her brother are sent to live with an "absen
Rebecca
This book started off very well and actually even though it trailed off towards the middle there were HOT guys to keep us interested so it didn't seem all that bad. But my main issue was that the HOT guys took over so much that any semblance of supernatural storyline that was hinted upon at the beginning started to seem like a bit of an after thought towards the end.

The main character Piper, a girl who moves to live with her grandma after her mother is murdered. In a small type town where every
Neilliza Swaffar
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. I love the world that J.L. Weil had created. I'm so glad I'm finally reading this series, better late than never.

I love me some Zane, he is gorgeous, protective and so much more than meets the eyes. Their back and forth banter and their love and hate relationship is what kept me reading. Every time they were together they were electric. I want them to be together so bad, but I know it will take some time before they finally get their happy ending. I can't wait to re
Lauren the Book Slayer
White Raven was an inexpensive urban fantasy that I found on Amazon. I bought it because it had a couple hundred good reviews, and it also had a vague, interesting description. I love short, vague descriptions, because, who wants to read a book when the description gives you the whole play-by-play?! Not me!

I’m going to jump right in – After Piper and TJ’s mother is murdered on the streets of Chicago, the two siblings are ferried away to their Grandmother Rose’s house for the entire summer. Not o
Yi Le
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Piper and her family are devastated when her mother was murdered. She was her best friend and the best mother one could ask for. Her father, stricken with grief, sends her and her little brother to an island her rich grandmother owns. The grandmother she only saw in pictures before. The one her mother left to be with her father.

Arriving at Raven Hallow, her life changes as she never would thought it would. Tons of luxuries she never would have dreamt of at home. Furthermore, everybody seems to k
Angela (Pooled Ink Reviews)
pooled ink Reviews:

First thoughts: Daaaaang, this girl has got attitude for days. And oh ho ho I was right! From start to finish Piper is armed and trigger-happy with her quips and bullets of sarcasm. No one is exempt from her rebellious tongue. Also, I feel like she used every idiom in America. She had those whipping out of her mouth or thoughts every other minute.

I blew through this book in mere hours, which was a pleasant surprise considering I didn’t look up much about this book before tak
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Revolution (The Revelation, #4)
  • Touch Me (Demon Guardians #1)
  • Valor (Greystone, #1)
  • Gilded Wings (Hidden Wings, #4)
  • Hellhound Defined (Kasadya,#4)
  • Witches (Runes, #6)
  • Breed of Innocence (The Breed Chronicles #1)
  • Starcrossed (The Sherwood Wolves #2)
  • Reckless (Tempted, #2)
  • Fire in the Darkness (Darkness, #2)
  • Ignited (Ignited, #1)
  • Descendant (Descendant, #1)
  • Awaken (Daughters of the Sea, #2)
  • Archaic (Archaic, #1)
  • Invidious (The Marked #2)
  • Guardian (The Guardian #1)
  • Crest (Ondine Quartet, #3)
  • Bird Song (Grace, #2)
USA TODAY Bestselling author J.L. Weil lives in Illinois where she writes Teen & New Adult Paranormal Romances about spunky, smart mouth girls who always wind up in dire situations. For every sassy girl, there is an equally mouthwatering, overprotective guy. Of course, there is lots of kissing. And stuff.

An admitted addict to Love Pink clothes, raspberry mochas from Starbucks, and Jensen Ackle

Raven (3 books)
  • Black Crow (Raven, #2)
  • Soul Symmetry (Raven, #3)
“Oh, so suddenly you’re an expert in crazy?” “After meeting you, I feel I could write a thesis on the subject,” 4 likes
“I can’t believe you ran out on me, and I’m pretty sure you left your balls behind.” 3 likes