Start by marking “Infinite Wonder: An Astronaut's Photographs from a Year in Space” as Want to Read:
Infinite Wonder: An Astronaut's Photographs from a Year in Space

Infinite Wonder: An Astronaut's Photographs from a Year in Space

From the record-breaking astronaut, national hero, and best-selling author of Endurance, a breathtaking collection of photos documenting his journey on the International Space Station, the vastness of space, and the unparalleled beauty of our own home planet.

One's perspective shifts when one lives for an entire year--as Commander Scott Kelly, and no other American
Published October 30th 2018 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about Infinite Wonder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infinite Wonder

Start your review of Infinite Wonder: An Astronaut's Photographs from a Year in Space
Lynn
Beautiful photographs from the international space station by Scott Kelly. Most are from places on Earth. The photographs are stunning and well worth the large format book.
Joan
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Astronaut Scott Kelly, a master of microgravity photography, shares a spectacular collection of photographs documenting his record-setting year-long stay aboard the International Space Station. Turn the pages of this exquisite coffee-table-sized volume and share in the wonder of the vast universe, the stunning beauty of our home planet.

The astronaut’s own commentary accompanies the dazzling photographs. Here readers glimpse life aboard the space station, observe sunrises, sunsets, and
High Plains Library District
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meagan, adult
I don’t think I’ll be alone when I say that I’m finding social media a more depressing place to be these days, with all the yelling and inflammatory language and deliberately provocative, even hateful, posts. The exception, for me, is Instagram. I can’t speak for the comments (the first rule of the internet is Avoid the Comments), but the posts on my feed are almost universally funny or beautiful or joyful or just plain entertaining and it’s given me a new taste for photography. Especially space ...more
Dan Gorman
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, art
Superb photographs of the planet and atmosphere that border on the abstract make this book worth reading. Scott Kelly has an eye for landscapes that verge upon the surreal, even nonsensical. This book will make you appreciate the marvelous beauty of our planet, even if you cannot tell what you are looking at in a given photograph. I would have liked more text, but this is an art book, and Kelly's "Endurance" provides the full story of his year in space.
Jeimy
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Photography is subjective, but whether or not you appreciate the compositions Kelly created, you’ll be in awe of the vistas included within this book’s pages.
Liesl
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I shared this with my son since we read My Journey to the Stars together and I thought it would be interesting and fun to look at what Kelly was able to capture from space. He may have occasionally gotten bored with the text and photo descriptions, but I was endlessly fascinated by everything included, from the wonders of the world as seen from so far above it to scenes from the mission, all highlighted by Kelly's observations. Now I'd like to read Endurance: A Year in Space, A Lifetime of ...more
Jaime F.
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I was so glad this was my first book of the year. As we celebrated New Years all around the world, having this amazing photograph book looking at pictures from space of our planet, put in perspective at how each and every one of us are celebrating this new beginning in a tranquil and lovely planet of us.
Amazing photography taken place from up there in space. Kudos to astronaut Scott Kelly for sharing this images and its splendor.
Christopher
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perfect gift for anyone interested in Space, the Earth or who just likes pretty pictures. Amazing images that provide a unique perspective of our little corner of the Universe. From up above you can’t see the human made conflict brought by vast and seemingly incompatible ideologies. The world seems a peaceful place. Perhaps one day it will actually be as peaceful on the ground as it appears from so high up.
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Looking for a photography book that is truly gorgeous and offers a unique view of the world? This one is for you. It’s hard not to be amazed by this perspective of Earth and to think about what it must be like to live an entire year away from our planet. Ever go away for week or two and come back home and everything looks a bit different for a couple of days? Or jumped a bit too long on a trampoline? I can’t even imagine what Kelly’s “re-entry” must have felt like. Thanks for the journey, Mr. ...more
Maria Kth
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this was so beautiful to go through.
Lisa
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Astronaut Scott Kelly had a mission to live in the International Space Station for one year. While there he took some amazing photos of what he saw. They are beautiful collection.
latner3
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Astronomy photographs . Astrophysics. This is a really insightful beautiful book of photographs from the inside of the space station and our world viewed from it.
RumBelle
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This book was visually stunning. To think that you could achieve such crisp, clean photos from a space station moving at 17,000 miles an hour is just amazing. Kelly has such skill, and an eye for creating interesting, beautiful photos.

There were several sections, including one that focused on The Mission, one that was photographs of the Earth, and one called Earth Art which was places on Earth that had a very artistic look to them. We got to see inside the International Space Station, where
Claudia
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Scott Kelly did a wonderful job taking some unforgettable pictures of our home-world. Admittedly, he started on the Earth, recording his experiences before take-off as well as returning to Earth.

Kelly admits that he used Picasa to enhance some of the colors but I doubt that they were changed that much. He seems quite fascinated by the deserts, waterways, the edge of space. . .the beauty and majesty of our natural world that can not be seen from even the highest airliner.

Not a great deal of
Lynn
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you read Infinite Wonder, you definitely should do more than merely thumb through it and look at the pictures. There are only about five short pages of introductory material plus the captions, all short, but these are all informative and essential to your appreciation for what you are looking at.

The book consists of photographs Scott Kelly took during his year in space. There are some that relate to the mission itself, many inside the International Space Station (a place of wonder in its own
Donna Dawson
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I first heard about this book, I knew I had to own it. I wanted to see the photos, and obviously, I knew that I wouldn't be seeing these views of Earth on my own. And the book did not disappoint. It is divided into three sections: The Mission, The Natural World, and Earth Art. My absolute favorite section was the one on the Natural World. The Mission included photos mainly of the work on the International Space Station, which were eye-opening. Earth Art included fantastic photos of various ...more
Sean
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Incredibly colorful pictures. Very little text. The first 20% (60/300 pages) has pictures of Scott Kelly. His training as well as in space. The remaining 80% is shots out the window. The many pictures look like they may be from some alien world. Since you lose size comparisons in the pictures, they look like they are colored microscope slides. Some look like an artist's imagination.

My wish would have been for an appendix that had two components. First, continent maps with picture/page numbers
MJ
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous! I noticed that the names of places that Scott Kelly photographed for his book had no relation to their appearance from outer space. The names were given from the perspective that people on the ground saw. Now there’s a whole new perspective as seen from the International Space Station which is 254 miles above earth and the names mean very little. It is hard to even tell water from desert from mountains. Everything looks like images of slides under a microscope or like modern art.

“The
Debra
I brought this home primarily for my husband, but who can resist the beauty of these photographs. I was fascinated with the precision, skill and practice that was required to get these photographs. As he explains the technique it is a wonder that you can capture anything that isn't a blue. Just enjoy the wonder of our creation as you browse these pages.
Jill
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read
Beautiful pictures mostly taken by Scott Kelly during his year in space. It was amazing to see the variety of landscapes that exist on Earth. And some of Scott's notes with the photographs were quite funny. I especially liked one that said it was of a certain location "I think." I think everyone would enjoy this unique view of Earth.
Harley
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting photographs of life inside the spacecraft,followed by some amazing images of what life on our planet looks from a few hundred miles above.
Beautiful... awe inspiring....breathtaking....humbling...
Beth Hartnett
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Swing by to check out this amazing coffee table book...Scott Kelly shot all of the pictures during his year in space. I'm in awe! So excited that I had the chance to meet him backstage at the Music Hall last year.
Mara Lynn Tugman
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pair this up with Endurance, because together this first-hand space experience will put much of life on this planet into a new perspective. My appreciation to the creator of these two books, Astronaut Kelly.
Florence Laureira
Our Earth from far away

Scott Kelley’s mind bending photography gives us an almost “God View”. I found it soothing and put me in a prayerful aura. God’s glorious creation.
Colin Kemmis
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful. Where can I buy some prints?
Sonja
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful photographs of places one person will probably never see on Earth. Some views motivate Scott Kelly to visit these places upon his return to Earth.
Tarita Henry
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing photos.
Lauren Kozilski
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was amazing. It's hard to think of Earth in quite the same way when you're viewing it from such a beautiful perspective.
Leonard
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of photographs from space, especially the colorful abstract ones of specific locations on the earth with natural formation, images of land and water. Beautiful!
Pat
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The photographs transform your view of our world.

• National Geographic Spectacle: Rare and Astonishing Photographs
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Mycroft and Sherlock: The Empty Birdcage
  • The Girl Who Named Pluto: The Story of Venetia Burney
  • Circle
  • Rocket to the Moon! (Big Ideas That Changed the World, #1)
  • Bibliophile: An Illustrated Miscellany
Scott Kelly is a former military fighter pilot and test pilot, an engineer, a retired astronaut, and a retired U.S. Navy captain. A veteran of four space flights, Kelly commanded the International Space Station (ISS) on three expeditions and was a member of the yearlong mission to the ISS. In October 2015, he set the record for the total accumulated number of days spent in space, the single ...more