Start by marking “The Broken Earth Trilogy: The Fifth Season, The Obelisk Gate, The Stone Sky” as Want to Read:
The Broken Earth Trilogy: The Fifth Season, The Obelisk Gate, The Stone Sky

The Broken Earth Trilogy: The Fifth Season, The Obelisk Gate, The Stone Sky

(The Broken Earth #1-3)

This collectable boxed set edition includes all three books in N. K. Jemisin's incredible NYT bestselling and three-time Hugo award-winning Broken Earth Trilogy.

This complete collection would be a great gift for any occasion and includes The Fifth Season, The Obelisk Gate, and The Stone Sky.

This is the way the world ends for the last time...

A season of endings has begun.
Published October 2nd 2018 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about The Broken Earth Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Broken Earth Trilogy

Miriam Seidel
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading each volume of The Broken Earth trilogy by N. K. Jemisin left me electrified. The first two books, The Fifth Season and The Obelisk Gate, won the past two annual Hugo awards for best novel—a rare occurrence. Her final book in the series, The Stone Sky, is up for the 2018 Hugo. Here’s why I think this science-fiction/epic fantasy trilogy is so important, and why I’m rooting for it to win. (It’s largely spoiler-free.)

The Broken Earth gives us a vastly-scaled vision of global environmental
Lyzz
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Though I read each book individually, I will leave my review here, as an overall impression of the series.

First I have to say, I am very glad that I did not read any reviews of this series before reading... though it seems hypocritical since I’m now leaving a review myself. But if I had, I would have had advance warning of its grimness and likely would not have picked it up. I tend not to go for stories that are overly dark.

And yes, this series is dark and grim and full of suffering, but there a
Victoria Carney
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantasy is one of my favorite genres (Lord of the Rings) and I have decided to read more authors of color and women in the field. WOW am I happy I started with this one. The story is BRILLIANT and CAPTIVATING. I cannot say enough about this series. IF you love fantasy, some mystery, some slow book long character development, and shifts in main characters- PLEASE READ THIS SERIES.
Ecaterina Burton
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This trilogy is one brilliant tome with a narrative structure that illuminates the nature of power, oppression, and justice. You will find characters that will confuse and beguile you. No one is a caricature, and even the theme of good vs. evil is heavily interrogated throughout the stretch of this story. There’s a reason she won 3 Hugo awards for this series. Also, take notes and mark pages, because Jemisin makes you as a reader responsible for maintaining the intricate layers of history that p ...more
Rif A. Saurous
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Probably you've read this. If not, you should. Easy five stars. (I read the books individually, but since I have nothing else to say about the series other than "yes definitely five stars", I'll just review the box set.)

Update: This book is grim, so if you can't handle grim, it's not for you. It's sad, lots of people who don't deserve it die in horrible ways, there is violence, there is cannibalism, there is ecological and personal disaster. It's still great, but it's grim.
Sarah Pavelko
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Captivating read. I couldn't put it down.
Giacomo
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Truly epic, heart-rending, beautifully written, unexpected, arresting, unforgettable. First volume took me a bit to get into, but I was hooked by the end and flew through the next two when the time came. Recommended for fans of poetic fantasy.
Una Verdandi
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Broken Earth trilogy is one of the most spectacular works of speculative fiction I've ever read. Jemisin creates a world that is both beautiful and tragic. As the story progresses, complicated layers of power unfold, revealing a society built on fear and designed to subjugate the orogenes, those who have the power to manipulate earth and stone.

Society regards orogenes with suspicion. Their powers are fiercely regulated and regarded with suspicion, even terror; orogenes learn to fear themsel
Miller Sherling
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My spouse and I read these allowed to each other over the course of many months. They are so great! I love that the author was always tripping me up over my own gender biases. A character would be described and then at some point their gender would be mentioned and I would realize I have gender them in correctly based on descriptors. I love being confronted with my own hangups in that way. But that is a minor part of the Ruben. Mostly it is a really engaging story with great characters and fabul ...more
Alexander Pyles
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved these books so much I reviewed each on my blog here:

From my review on THE STONE SKY:

"Jemisin did a fantastic job on all fronts with weaving all the pieces and parts to bring together the plot and themes for a great ending. Truly, a landmark series and not one to miss."
Eric
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great series, highly deserving of the awards it has received. A truly interesting and novel approach to "magic", a masterful example of worldbuilding, rich and deep characters, an interesting and compelling plot. I read this when I was in a landscape of dramatic mountains which surely increased its appeal (readers will understand why), but regardless I highly recommend this to lovers of detailed and imaginative fantasy.
Ivana
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very very nice fantasy trilogy. Amazing story and that imagination of the writer! Wow!

I gotta say... the writer does make a great point with this story. It has projection to our real world and we should think about the consequences of our actions. Really really well put.
Steph
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hugo, Hugo, Hugo AND Nebula. Need I say more? Wow, this series is fantastic. I'm ready for a re-read already. World-building, in-depth characters, twists, dark storyline, but never without hope. Can't wait to check out more by this author!
Inebriati Literati
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Our podcast episode in which Christine introduces Heidi to the majesty and wonder that is thr Broken Earth Trilogy will be posted soon.

In the meantime, read this amazing story told by a sure-voiced author, the first person ever to win three back-to-back Hugo awards.

Chris
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gave the series four stars because overall the books were good enough to keep me reading through to the end. Interesting world full of tragic characters.
Robert
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After many months, I finished this trilogy. Fantastic world building and creative situations. Lots of dialog made it slow intense reading/listening.
Rick
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent trilogy, original and impressively conceived world, well written and well executed. Recommended to sci fi fans.
Shawn
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the story! I've read al three novels and enjoyed each one immensly.
Dede
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
Listened to these when I was sick. Perfect! Don't know what I would've thought if I'd been healthy...
Margaret Hrezo
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This trilogy is amazing. It is exceptionally well-written; the characters are fully developed individuals; the plotting is exemplary.
Anne88
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fresh ideas and great world building!
Michael
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Read back-to-back-to-back while on vacation. The first of the series was very good and a worthy Hugo winner, but I'm not so sure about the next two. In any event, original and better than most.
Sarah Ervin
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED THIS. Amazing writing, story arc, pacing, characters, themes.
Ebru
Jun 10, 2018
Emily Badajos
Aug 25, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Fantastična čitao...: Čitaonica - januar 2019: N.K. Jemisin 23 14 Jan 28, 2019 02:19PM
ALN Book Club: March EPIC Book Club - The Broken Earth 4 3 Jan 28, 2019 01:28PM

• Broken Stars: Contemporary Chinese Science Fiction in Translation
  • A Secret History (Book of Ash,  #1)
  • The Coldfire Trilogy: Black Sun Rising/ When True Night Falls/ Crown of Shadows
  • It's Time to Fight Dirty: How Democrats Can Build a Lasting Majority in American Politics
  • Twice the Pleasure
  • The Banned and The Banished Saga, Books 1-5 (Wit’ch Fire,Wit’ch Storm,Wit’ch War,Wit’ch Gate,Wit’ch Star)
  • The New Childhood: Raising Kids to Thrive in a Connected World
  • Make Much Of Me
  • Binti: The Complete Trilogy
  • Lost Futures
  • The Atlas of Languages: The Origin and Development of Languages Throughout the World
  • Lament for the Fallen
  • Stealing Nasreen
  • Waiting for You (Lifesworn #1)
  • Usagi Yojimbo Saga, Vol. 2
  • Die Hungrigen und die Satten
  • Queerly Loving (Queerly Loving, #1)
  • Nadya
N. K. Jemisin lives and works in New York City.

The Broken Earth (3 books)
  • The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1)
  • The Obelisk Gate (The Broken Earth, #2)
  • The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth, #3)
“I think you hate me because… I’m someone you can hate. I’m here, I’m handy. But what you really hate is the world.” 0 likes
“Para todos aquellos que tienen que luchar por el respeto que el resto recibe por omisión.” 0 likes