Start by marking “The Broken Earth Trilogy: The Fifth Season / The Obelisk Gate / The Stone Sky” as Want to Read:
The Broken Earth Trilogy: The Fifth Season / The Obelisk Gate / The Stone Sky

The Broken Earth Trilogy: The Fifth Season / The Obelisk Gate / The Stone Sky

(The Broken Earth #1-3)

This collectable boxed set edition includes all three books in N. K. Jemisin's incredible NYT bestselling and three-time Hugo award-winning Broken Earth Trilogy.

This complete collection would be a great gift for any occasion and includes The Fifth Season, The Obelisk Gate, and The Stone Sky.

This is the way the world ends for the last time...

A season of endings has begu
Published August 4th 2015 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about The Broken Earth Trilogy, please sign up.
Willie Shakespeare I see you posted this a few months ago, so my advice is probably too late. If not, given the novels you listed, he would definitely enjoy this series.…moreI see you posted this a few months ago, so my advice is probably too late. If not, given the novels you listed, he would definitely enjoy this series. Over the course of three novels, the author advances an engaging plot while holding back both on one major plotline as well as the origins of this fantasy world, making this a satisfying slow-reveal series. However, there is some sex in the novel, including a threesome (whose participants go on to form a family). The threesome made me roll my eyes, as it seemed gratuitous and unnecessary at first, but the author builds the relationship among the three in a meaningful way that both fleshes out personalities and primes the reader to respond sympathically to future events. Maybe a better birthday present in a few years, though exposure to adult themes when embedded in a terrific story has its merits too.(less)

Start your review of The Broken Earth Trilogy: The Fifth Season / The Obelisk Gate / The Stone Sky
Eric
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing trilogy. It is no wonder that each of the three books won, by their own right, the Hugo Award.

At the heart of this saga are the orogeny, who can literally move mountains, those who despise them and those who "use" them. There is deeper magic here and Jemisin does an amazing job of changing point of views and, rather than using flash backs, she tells stories in different time periods, but weaves them all together to mesh into a fantastic ending in the final book.

To repeat from my revie
Lyzz
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Though I read each book individually, I will leave my review here, as an overall impression of the series.

First I have to say, I am very glad that I did not read any reviews of this series before reading... though it seems hypocritical since I’m now leaving a review myself. But if I had, I would have had advance warning of its grimness and likely would not have picked it up. I tend not to go for stories that are overly dark.

And yes, this series is dark and grim and full of suffering, but there a
Miriam Seidel
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading each volume of The Broken Earth trilogy by N. K. Jemisin left me electrified. The first two books, The Fifth Season and The Obelisk Gate, won the past two annual Hugo awards for best novel—a rare occurrence. Her final book in the series, The Stone Sky, is up for the 2018 Hugo. Here’s why I think this science-fiction/epic fantasy trilogy is so important, and why I’m rooting for it to win. (It’s largely spoiler-free.)

The Broken Earth gives us a vastly-scaled vision of global environmental
Ecaterina
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This trilogy is one brilliant tome with a narrative structure that illuminates the nature of power, oppression, and justice. You will find characters that will confuse and beguile you. No one is a caricature, and even the theme of good vs. evil is heavily interrogated throughout the stretch of this story. There’s a reason she won 3 Hugo awards for this series. Also, take notes and mark pages, because Jemisin makes you as a reader responsible for maintaining the intricate layers of history that p ...more
Darwin8u

The Obelisk Gate - Read Jan 23, 2000 - ✮✮✮✮
The Stone Sky - Read Jan 27, 2000 - ✮✮✮✮1/2
James Kibirige
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stunning trilogy from the bright and flourishing talent that is N. K. Jemisin. These books resonated with me on so many levels, they are stories about oppression, bigotry & discrimination seen through the lens of a young girl with extraordinary abilities. They are also stories about parenting, childhood, love & loss.

This trilogy hit me so deeply because I can personally relate to so many of the core themes. Thank you Ms Jemisin for this tour de force that tells a deeply personal story set agains
Wil C. Fry
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it

Perhaps I should have expected this, but the trilogy is better than each of the individual books. Taken as a whole, the story arc is powerful, engaging, and (I think) groundbreaking. Each character has something with which the reader can identify, some trait that emphasizes his or her humanity to varying degrees. The world-building is top-notch and epic in scope.

My only complaints are (1) present tense throughout (I realize this is a personal, subjective thing), (2) the first and third book are

Tristan Cordelia
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
NK Jemisin’s Broken Earth trilogy is the first trilogy to win the Hugo Award for Best Novel for all three of its instalments – and it won them in three consecutive years, so inevitably anyone reading it is going to have pretty high expectations. I thought it was… fine. There was some adept character development, and rather than repeat standard sci-fi/fantasy tropes, Jemisin introduced concepts of her own: an angry Father Earth trying to wipe out humanity via earthquakes and other disasters; and ...more
Titilayo
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zachary Scribner
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A transcendent work. If there is any justice in the world these books will one day be considered classics of equal caliber to Tolkein's Rings trilogy and similarly seminal works of fantasy and genre fiction. The prose is elegant and poetic without ever veering into the purple or excessively flowery.
Jemisin's work tackles themes of bigotry, othering, and prejudice in direct ways entirely refreshing in a genre too often obsessed with tackling these subjects through allegory, which can be obfuscat
Rif A. Saurous
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Probably you've read this. If not, you should. Easy five stars. (I read the books individually, but since I have nothing else to say about the series other than "yes definitely five stars", I'll just review the box set.)

Update: This book is grim, so if you can't handle grim, it's not for you. It's sad, lots of people who don't deserve it die in horrible ways, there is violence, there is cannibalism, there is ecological and personal disaster. It's still great, but it's grim.
Giacomo
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Truly epic, heart-rending, beautifully written, unexpected, arresting, unforgettable. First volume took me a bit to get into, but I was hooked by the end and flew through the next two when the time came. Recommended for fans of poetic fantasy.
Ben Zimmerman
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This trilogy is one of the best series I’ve read recently in the fantasy/sci-fi genre.
More than anything to me, the series explores the many flavors of dysfunctional relationships, attachments, and manifestations of love. There are not really any good examples of functional relationships in the story, so the narrative can be a bit dark and depressing, but it’s psychologically fascinating. The manifestations of love include such things as– devotional love to an abusive but predictable and genera
Debbiebandy
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This trilogy is tremendous. Imaginative, well-written. I read it through twice.
Elephant Abroad
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant world-building. Depth of characterisation is impressive. This is something genuinely creative. And what a difference she brings to the genre.
Sarah Pavelko
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Captivating read. I couldn't put it down. ...more
Tiffany Ingle
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This will have me thinking about it for years. Look forward to reading it again with my daughter when she is older!
Lisa Para
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, jess-recs
It took me a while to get into this series, but boy was it worth it! The most unique and fresh writing I've ever read. (TL;DR at bottom.)

The premise and plot are good but not wildly different from other epic fantasy, and it is a bit slow in parts, but the characters and their emotional journeys and how those journeys are told are what makes this series stand out. Pretty much every race, gender spectrum, sexuality, (even hair type) etc. are present, without any characters seemingly shoved in just
Tom
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
These novels are... different. I wanted to like them, as I'd heard all the glowing critical reception and had previously read the Dreamblood Duology and reasonably enjoyed that. However, after finally finishing The Broken Earth trilogy the other day, it's become clear to me that this series is fundamentally a propaganda vehicle pushing that same feminist/forced diversity agenda, which already plagues Hollywood and MSM today.

Don't get me wrong, it was indeed well-written and contains rich, origin
Cammy
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is one of these series that leave me with a feeling of frustration, because there were a lot of things I liked about it, and yet, two books in, I realized I didn't care enough to read the final book.

The setting and world building is great. It's mysterious and horrifying, especially because it's so easy to relate to, and the author does a great job of introducing it in a natural way without shoving a ton of information in the reader's face.

I was not entirely in love with the second person po
Una Verdandi
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Broken Earth trilogy is one of the most spectacular works of speculative fiction I've ever read. Jemisin creates a world that is both beautiful and tragic. As the story progresses, complicated layers of power unfold, revealing a society built on fear and designed to subjugate the orogenes, those who have the power to manipulate earth and stone.

Society regards orogenes with suspicion. Their powers are fiercely regulated and regarded with suspicion, even terror; orogenes learn to fear themsel
Ravis Williams
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such an interesting trilogy. The author did an excellent job building this world and paid great attention to building the entirety of the main characters. This was a great read, and will be excellent to discuss with others! Enjoy.
Michael
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Read back-to-back-to-back while on vacation. The first of the series was very good and a worthy Hugo winner, but I'm not so sure about the next two. In any event, original and better than most. ...more
Matthew
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Re-read this award-winning trilogy and I can again confirm it is an absolute MASTERPIECE.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Tsu Teo
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great series
Toby Graf
Jan 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Debosmita Ganguly
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
"Let's start with the end of the world, why don't we? "
'The Broken Earth' trilogy is equal parts science fiction and fantasy. It is set in a post apocalyptic world where all the continents have merged into one single landmass - the 'Stillness', which is ironic as this world is full of volcanic eruptions, shakes and earthquakes. The major ones of which bring on the 'Seasons'- months of a sun-less sky and half the living world dying.
The three books of the trilogy: 'The Fifth Season', 'The Obel
Mia Burgwald
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

Firstly, I would like to start with some massive praise for these books: Jemisin created an epic fantasy series which reads a little bit like Young Adult Fiction, with all the seriousness and importance of High Fantasy. The style is something I had to get used to at first, but the characters are extremely well written and fleshed out, and the world building is absolutely impeccable. I have not read a book with such an interesting, well thought-out, epic-feeling and gripping setting in a
Aart
Jan 10, 2021 rated it liked it

Whilst I enjoy reading many a genre, perhaps with an exception of horror, I hold Science-Fiction especially dear. I hold Science-Fiction dear, because it offers us worlds in which to escape. But more than give us worlds in which to escape, it offers us worlds in which we can analyse the problems we are faced with, free from preconceptions and, at times, free from some of the complexities we are faced with in our daily lives. In short; we can look at societies problems in a more objective way.

Tha
Loren Michael
Jan 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Obviously this book has been analyzed and reviewed by countless people, academics, etc. so I want to just submit that this series had all of the good qualities others say it has, but the thing holding me back from fully enjoying the book was how much time was spent in fully esoteric environments. My favorite science fiction is that which anchors on what we already know and are familiar with, and the twists and adds in clever ways. In this series, once the initial abstract rules are set out, the ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Fantastična čitao...: Čitaonica - januar 2019: N.K. Jemisin 23 18 Jan 28, 2019 02:19PM
ALN Book Club: March EPIC Book Club - The Broken Earth 4 5 Jan 28, 2019 01:28PM

• Kingkiller Chronicle Patrick Rothfuss Collection 3 Books Box Set -GiftBox(The Wise Man's Fear, The Slow Regard of Silent Things, The Name of the Wind)
  • Remembrance of Earth's Past: The Three-Body Trilogy (Remembrance of Earth's Past #1-3)
  • The Imperial Radch Trilogy (Imperial Radch #1-3)
  • Lilith's Brood (Xenogenesis, #1-3)
  • Seed to Harvest (Patternmaster, #1-4)
  • Shriek: An Afterword (Ambergris, #2)
  • Biomedical Ethics
  • The Art of Coaching: Effective Strategies for School Transformation
  • Hunted: Alba's Story (Destined #5)
  • The Epic Classroom: How to Boost Engagement, Make Learning Memorable, and Transform Lives
  • Testament
  • Lest Darkness Fall
  • The Path Keeper (The Indigo Chronicles, #1)
  • Hidden: Rapunzel's Story (Destined, #2)
  • Twisted: Belle's Story (Destined, #3)
  • Son of Secrets (The Indigo Chronicles, #2)
  • Betrayed: Ruby's Story (Destined, #4)
  • Burned: Weslan's Story (Destined, #1.5)
N. K. Jemisin lives and works in New York City.

The Broken Earth (3 books)
  • The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1)
  • The Obelisk Gate (The Broken Earth, #2)
  • The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth, #3)