Start by marking “Soulbinder (Spellslinger, #4)” as Want to Read:
Soulbinder (Spellslinger, #4)

Soulbinder

(Spellslinger #4)

A failed mage learns that just because he's not the chosen one it doesn't mean he can't be a hero in the fourth book of a new adventure fantasy series from Sebastien de Castell.

Spellslinger Series
SpellslingerShadowblackCharmcasterSoulbinder
For more from Sebastien de Castell, check out:
The Greatcoats QuartetTraitor's BladeSaint's BloodKnight's ShadowTyrant's Throne
Published December 4th 2018 by Orbit

Start your review of Soulbinder (Spellslinger, #4)
Bradley
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, 2019-shelf
I can't tell whether I'm totally hooked on the series because of all the cool things that have been discovered and/or learned through the course of them or whether this particular book shone, all on its own, a bit brighter than all but the first.

But enjoy it, I did. A lot. I'm loving the whole jack-of-all-trades vibe taking on masters of single schools of magic. :) Trickster? Yep. Highly observational? Yep.

In the heart of a land of Shadowblack monks hiding from the rest of the world
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/12/13/...

In my review of the previous book, Charmcaster, I noted how certain patterns seemed to keep popping up repeatedly in the storytelling. However, as I was reading Soulbinder, all I could think of was how Sebastien de Castell must have had the same concerns as I did on the direction of this series, because it seemed he did everything he could in this one to shake things up and make the story as unpredictable as possible again, even going as far as to mak
kartik narayanan
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spellslinger continues to be one of the best YA series with Soulbinder being another great entry.

As before, the standout element is the nuanced relationship that Kellen has with his family especially with his father. Even though the amount of pages devoted to this relationship & interaction is in the single digits, it is enough to elevate the story from the sea of YA fiction out there.

The other aspects of this series - Kellen's wit(?), the action, fast paced writing,
Nikki
Still loving this series, and how broad the universe is!

Kellen is brilliant in this one - really coming across as a young kid forced to grow up too fast, and a good trickster, but also a sensible (trouble loving) head on his shoulders! His interactions with all the new characters was fab. My favourite is Butelios, he’s awesome! I’m really hoping we see more of him in the future. And as much as I sort of want to push Diadera off a cliff, I really enjoyed her character too.

I loved get
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Just when things started feeling 'same old, same old' Sebastien de Castell switches everything up! Kellen is on his own and thrown into a predicament without any help from his companions. He is forced to grow as a character, and in doing so, we learn a lot more about his Shadowblack problem and what it could all mean.

I had a helluva fun time with this one, and after the first book, it is probably my favorite in the series so far. At first, I was put a little off balance with the omis
Martin
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kellen searches for the Ebony Abbey - his latest hope to find a cure for his shadowblack. In this installment Kellen is even separated from Reichis. The reader encounters many new characters and gains an interesting view on the shadowblack. Kellen once again has to rely on his Argosi training and is forced to reconsider his family ties. Will war be inevitable? Are the cultural differences to big to be overcome? Read for yourself ;)
I enjoyed this book immensely amongst others due to B. a ne
Shree143
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series keep getting better and better. The multi layer story style as always awesome. The solo performance of Kellen's showed character development. I genuinely scared about Reichis for a while. Overall a top notch writing, kick ass story and complex characters. Sebastien de Castell showed yet again that he is one of the best out there right now with this book 📙.
Jay  The Crippled God
I was desperate after thinking that charmcaster was the last one. So happy and excited waiting for this one !!!!!! Thank u De castel and we support u
Kayleigh Brindley
I discovered the first book in the Spellslinger series in December 2017, and after reading the following two books in the series earlier this year, it's become a huge favourite.

So, I was more than excited to see Soulbinder pop up in NetGalley as I was desperate to find out what happened after the events of Charmcaster. I'm going to do my very best here to keep any spoilers out of this review, but if you haven't read the first three books of this series, you might want to look away no
Pen
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have devoured this series, it's just so thoroughly enjoyable. It may be one of the best I have ever read.

Easily checks off the trifecta for me:
Dynamic characters
Great world and magic system
Exceptional pacing

Surely at some point one of these books is going to bend and I'm going to lose interest... nah who am I kidding? Just gimmie more!
Jude (NovelReader13)
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series
This series is just. so. good!
Full disclosure: I didn't like Soulbinder as much as the previous two installments, but we're talking about the tiniest amount, really. This had mainly to do with the fact that we don't get to see much of some of my favourite characters (one of them in particular), whom I did miss quite a bit.

At the same time, I really appreciate that Kellen has to rely on himself to get out of the trouble he gets himself into. You get to see how much he has grown, while it'
Bart
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 4.00
Heather
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous! Just when I think the series can’t get any better, it does! Wow! I can’t wait for the next book now.
Sean
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Received from Hot Key Books and Netgalley for honest read and review.

Starts off after events in book 3. Here we find Kellen again in a fix. We are instantly keeping an eye to see what happens next and this book does not disappoint in any way.

Another brilliant book with Kellen and I am so looking forward to book 5.
Joel
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I can't say enough about this series. It's exciting, with great characters, really palpable drama, and some real sense of urgency throughout, showing how much it pulled me in. I've got very little to say beyond what I already have regarding this book and series - writing incredible, engrossing and entertaining novels seems so casual for de Castell, surely not 'effortless' but it seems very natural and enjoyable. I can't wait for the 5th novel to be out in a couple months, as I had a legitimate m ...more
Patricia Crowther
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The truths about friendship are both heartfelt and gut wrenching at the same time, especially if contemplated for too long. Castell captures friendship like no other.
David Harris
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm grateful to the publisher for a copy of this book via NetGalley.

This is the fourth in de Castell's fantasy series featuring exiled Jan'Tep mage Kellen Argos and his formidable "business partner", squirrel cat Reichis. It follows Spellslinger, Shadowblack and Charmcaster (mild spoilers for which may follow).

As was clear from the end of Charmcaster, Kellen is now alone (apart from Reichis) and when we meet him again at the start of Soulbinder, he is at his wits' end in
kit
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
these just keep getting better. fascinating magical systems, emotional complexity & maturity, & more than a little humor.
Atlas
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-s
Life ought to be more than just losing the things you love one after another until you have nothing left

* * * *
4 / 5

I love these books. I've embraced the cheesiness of them, their episodic sort of nature and their charm. The wit of Ferius Parfax, the questions in Kellen's head, and the hilarious viciousness of Rechis. Soulbinder keeps all of that and shakes it up a little, adding something a little more.

"So many lies. Hers. Mine. How were any of us not crushed un/>"So
Akshaya Sriram
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Castell does a fantastic job with the fourth installment of the Spellslinger series. In this book, finally, our ever whiney protagonist, grows into a hero in his own right. Fun, entertaining and of course, in Castell's style, preposterously daring.
Five enigmatist stars.
Blodeuedd Finland
I did like the book, but at the same time, I do not know, I feel that it is starting to drag on, It could well have been a trilogy, but at least 2 more books are coming. I just want to know if there is a cure for the shadowblack! And the next one does sound thrilling, he is gonna kill a queen!

Kellen goes to find some monks that can cure him....and I can not say a lot cos spoilers!

They are light and easy to read. Fun adventures. And I did like that he was on his own, but R
Anniek
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This installment was more interesting to me than the previous one, as it was more suspenseful and I felt like the stakes were higher. It also introduced some awesome new characters!
Deama
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I swear this is like one of my all time favourite series ever! I think it's just a combination of the plot, characters, humour.
I could read them over and over again.

I seriously read this in one day. I was going to put it down and do something else but everytime I got to the end of the chapter I just needed to continue.

Even if this book is minus Ferius it was still so good. Ferius is mentioned though so that's something, her presence can never be gone.

We see Kellen without all his travelling
Dreximgirl
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series so much! Kellen really grows in this book and while I miss Ferius, i was prepared for this, I do think it is what was needed to move Kellen forward in g is character progression. Cannot wait for the next one though. It's all getting very complex and heated now.
S.J. Higbee
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Up to this point, the Spellsinger series kept the humour going, mostly provided by that pesky squirrel cat. But while Kellen’s caustic comments still are evident during Soulbinder – this is the book where the stakes are upped even further, there is even more mayhem, bloodshed and emotion. And yet, right at the end, back comes the humour, which I often loathe in TV series, but this time around, breathless and a tad hollowed out by all the excitement and the loss of characters I’ve grown fond of – ...more
Will.J.R. Gwynne
I was lucky to be sent a hardback of Soulbinder pre-release date :).
I loved the first three instalments and this was no exception. I could not put it down because of the brilliant humour and unpredictable plot. I burned through it in a weekend.
It was thoroughly enjoyable and I cannot wait for the next book to be released. I just sadly have to wait a few months now.
Thank you Sebastien for another amazing read :)
Finn Longman
I enjoyed this a LOT! This series has really grown on me -- while I had slightly mixed opinions about the first book, I've got more and more invested as it's gone on, and every book is more enjoyable than the last. I love the various magic systems, and how this isn't a fantasy world where there is just one way to be magical: different people do it differently. And, sometimes, one person does it in a bunch of different ways, like Kellen.

I love how Kellen's character isn't brilliant at any one th
Trish
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book took the series up a little. I love how it keeps me guessing but I never see what is going to happen. My predictions never pan out.

I can't say much because it's the fourth in the series, but we are still travelling with Kellan on his journey.

I'm still loving Reichis. Probably the best thing in the series. I'm disappointed in the lack of action in one particular scene. Seemed to be a lot of build up for minimal results.

I stand by with what I
Dawn
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was delighted to receive this via netgalley. I have to admit I am slightly biased about this author having read all the Greatcoats books. These books are meant for younger readers. I love the sense of adventure imbued in these books and wish they were around when I was younger, not that I can’t still enjoy them now.
I love the sense of humour developed between Kellen and his irascible sidekick Reichis the squirrel cat.Kellen has now struck out on his own and appears to be in more trouble
Laura Newsholme
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved the Spellslinger series thus far and I think that this fourth offering is probably my favourite. The world expands once again here, showing us a completely different sector that we haven't been privy to up to now and it just goes to confirm de Castell as a consummate author truly comfortable in the world he has created. Kellen is challenged more seriously in this book and there is definitely a darker tone to the narrative overall, without losing the snarky asides to the reader that ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Soulbinder [Aug 19, 2019] 36 34 Aug 31, 2019 06:44AM

• Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne, #2)
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
  • King of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom, #3)
  • Priest of Bones (War for the Rose Throne, #1)
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • A Time of Blood (Of Blood and Bone, #2)
  • Uncanny Collateral (Valkyrie Collections, #1)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Ship of Smoke and Steel (The Wells of Sorcery, #1)
  • Blood of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom #2)
  • Seven Blades in Black (The Grave of Empires, #1)
  • The Gutter Prayer (The Black Iron Legacy, #1)
  • Underlord (Cradle, #6)
  • Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
  • Soulkeeper (The Keepers, #1)
Hi Folks!

My ninth novel, QUEENSLAYER is in stores in around the world.

You can get a pair of free stories here.

The best way to stay up to date is at www.decastell.com, but I'm also on that Facebook thing. Also that Twitter thing. One day I'll even remember to get on that Instagram thing.

As to who I am? Well . . .

Sebastien de Castell had just finished a de

Spellslinger (6 books)
  • Spellslinger (Spellslinger, #1)
  • Shadowblack (Spellslinger #2)
  • Charmcaster (Spellslinger #3)
  • Queenslayer (Spellslinger #5)
  • Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)