Start by marking “Light Years (Light Years, #1)” as Want to Read:
Light Years (Light Years, #1)

Light Years

(Light Years #1)

Reeling from the latest attack by a mysterious enemy, the Quatra Fleet Academy is finally admitting students from every planet in the solar system after centuries of exclusivity.

Hotshot pilot Vesper, an ambitious Tridian citizen, dreams of becoming a captain - but when she loses her spot to a brilliant, wisecracking boy from the wrong side of the asteroid belt, it makes he
Published October 9th 2018 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Light Years, please sign up.
Alaina Completely separate, though if you thoroughly "The 100" you can see some similarities. More so you can see how "The 100" fits into this series. …moreCompletely separate, though if you thoroughly "The 100" you can see some similarities. More so you can see how "The 100" fits into this series. (less)

Start your review of Light Years (Light Years, #1)
Carrie
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light Years by Kass Morgan is the first book in the new young adult science fiction fantasy series by the same name. The series follows four different students from different planets as they join the Quatra Fleet Academy.

Cormak is from the toxic planet Deva and had been struggling to survive with his older brother when he finds out his brother was killed on a mission. Right before he was killed however Cormak’s brother had been admitted into the academy so with him gone Cormak uses his ID to tak
Kayla Dawn
Mar 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This was okay, a little too much drama and romance teenage stuff but pretty entertaining and a little bit funny at times.
Éimhear (A Little Haze)
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Omg I loved this book!!!

And yet there are many reasons why I shouldn't love it.... (Shaky plot, book is basically a set up for the sequel, writing is nothing special, ultimately the premise is a lot like other books I've read and telly shows I've seen...)

But love it I did!!!

It is the very definition of trashy space opera and I was living my best life on every page.

The story follows four cadets at an elite academy (Quatra Fleet Academy) that are put together to create their own squadron, Squadr
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK.

Ahem.

Actual 5 Words: Friendship, secrets, prejudice, subterfuge, space.

Review first posted to Tea Party Princess

This book was absolutely excellent.

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I came into Light Years, I just knew that I was in the mood for a space book and this one was at hand, as it came in May's Illumicrate box. Now, I'm usually not a fan of space books. My sci-fi love leans toward dystopia. But oh my. This book.

My favourite characters were Vesp
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
Review also found at: https://danaandthebooks.com/2020/04/2...

The lead up to Light Years was hyped; I couldn't wait to get my hands on this books. But when it came out I just... didn't.

And then I forgot about it.

Thankfully, I came across it during my trip to the library just before the COVID-19 social distancing.

What I loved about Light Years

That said, Light Years lives up to the hype! I love military sci-fi (I mean, Stargate and Babylon 5 are two of my favourite TV shows).

Kass M
Ellie
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
↠ 4 stars

When I got an arc of this in an Illumicate box, I 100% looked at the cover and wasn’t all that sure about it; I’m not that fond of cover models or faces on books. However, when I picked it up, I discovered it was a really addictive book with good characters and an interesting storyline. To be sure, it’s nothing super original or overly special, but it is pretty fun and seemed to be exactly what I wanted to read.

Perfect for fans of Illuminae or Across The Universe, Light Years centres ar
Adah Udechukwu
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Light Years is an awesome novel. I liked the entire concept and I'm totally looking forward to reading book 2. The novel didn't disappoint. It was 5 stars from start to finish. ...more
Justine
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was ok

Really mediocre book with nothing new to offer. The plus side for me was that I read most of this while sitting in the Emergency waiting room (that place where time apparently ceases to have all relevance). At a time when I just needed to hurry up and wait and didn't want to invest any mental energy, this filled the bill.

Honestly though, nothing much happens to a bunch of typical and two dimensional characters.
Rissa
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Light years 3.5⭐️

These four rivals will have to work together to survive.

Cormack lost his brother and his coping is getting into the academy at all cost
Vesper is at the top of her game until a wrecking ball of attitude comes and changes her approach to the academy and flying
Orelia is a spy on a mission but if she gets caught up in the wrong crowd she is going to lose more than her standings.
And Arren is just a horney guy trying that gets caught up in thigs he never thought a simple crush would
Karen’s Library
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
4 young adults from 4 very different worlds are chosen to enter the elite space academy. 3 of those worlds are inhabited by settlers or "edgers" and this is the first year they've been admitted to the academy.

I really enjoyed this story even though it did end on a bit of a cliffhanger. The story is told from 4 POVs of the main characters, who are thrown together to form a squadron and each are extremely likeable.

Because of the cliffhanger, I can't wait to see what happens next and will be readi
Anniek
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was such a treat! I devoured it from start to finish. I'm actually a little surprised by that, because I wasn't the biggest fan of Morgan's The 100 books. While this may not be the most original story ever, I really liked the characters and the setting, and it was very well-paced. It was kind of like reading a cute YA contemporary mixed with some sci-fi action. Now it's going to be such a long wait for the sequel... ...more
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review – thank you!

I really struggled a lot with rating this one. On one hand, we had bland writing and minimal world-building. But on the other, we had a plotline which ended up being surprisingly gripping.

The planets of Deva and Chetire are poisonous hellholes, where only the poorest – known as Settlers – live. Meanwhile, Tri is where the real cream of society live, and only Tridians have been permitted into the elite Quatra Fleet Academy – until now.
Jessica {Litnoob}
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a solid 3.5 that shot up to a 4.5 with that amazing ending! This was a complex story told in a simple and fast paced way which kept things going and was interesting. I was hoping that we would get a little more back story, a little more into their emotional plights as they struggled through all the action. In that respect it felt slightly rushed (I live for emotional turmoil lol) still it was such a good story and I can’t wait for book two.
⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess)
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, space-opera
When I was a kid, I always wanted to become a pilot. Just a 'normal' pilot would've been fine. Now that I'm older and kind of in love with the stars/space, I could actually imagine flying a spaceship if that were possible ;)
That being said, here's my review.

I have to confess I only picked this book up because of the name Kass Morgan on the cover. I'm a HUGE fan of The 100, and while I like the tv show definitely more than the books, she's the woman who came up with the idea and the characters in
Aly
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Second time reading
I remember why I liked this so much! The four main characters are fun to follow, each with their own secrets and fears and the rotating points of view help the plot move quickly. The premise is great, I'm a sucker for teenagers in space, competing and getting thrown into crazy situations. Cormac is still my favorite, he's so smart and losing his brother like that would be terrible. Arran is sweet and his romance with Dash is my favorite relationship. I am so excited to finally
Lisa
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2018
I never read The 100, so this was my first experience with this author's writing. I was not let down!

Each of her characters (there are 4 main POVs) are well-developed and bring something special to the story. I felt fully invested in each of their lives, which is hard to do with so many main characters.

This background for this story is innately political, and I like how this thread was woven throughout the story in big ways. A few elements were definitely predictable, but it didn't make it any
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, physical-2018
**I received an ARC in exchange for my honest review as a lbyrpartner**

4 - 4.5 stars.

This was a super quick book to get through but the individual story lines mixed with the overall story were damn good. I cannot wait to read what happens next!

FRTC.

---------

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

This is going to be another tough review to write as I greatly enjoyed this story. I enjoyed the setting, the characters, the plot, the twists, the turns, all of it. I am
Shelley
*Source* Lbrary
*Genre* Young Adult, Science Fiction
*Rating* 3-3.5

*Thoughts*

Light Years is the first book in a thrilling and romantic new sci-fi series from the bestselling author of The 100, Kass Morgan. Four cadets at the Quatra Fleet Academy will have to put their differences aside and become a team if they want to defend their world from a cunning enemy--and they might even fall in love in the process. The four main characters are Cormak, Aryan, Vesper, and Orelia.

*Full Review @ Gizmos Revie
Demi Idle
Space Battle School is my favourite Si-Fi setting and I expected to enjoy this book.
I did not read "The 100", but I watched it and was looking forward to a gripping plot with many dangers and unexpected developments.

I have to hand it to the author - she does good premises and interesting characters.
There is an underlying threat of a mysterious enemy with unknown motives and origin.
There is an imperialistic unfair society where racism is ripe and the decadent ruling class has only now began to al
Vicky Again
Mar 05, 2018 marked it as to-read
wHAT WILL IT TAKE TO GET MY HANDS ON THIS BOOK???

things I am willing to give away:
- my soul
- misc. teeth
- my first through 80th born children

oh why is it not September yet???
✨ kathryn ✨
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, fantasy
Once I got past the four different points of view, this was actually a super gripping read. Super enjoyed Vesper's character, and my heart broke for Arran multiple times. Full of action, that makes it near impossible to put down (even with the flu). ...more
K.S. Marsden
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Cormak and his crew have to prove that they deserve their place at the Academy. But there are more plots in play than they are prepared for.

I received a free copy fro Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book. Despite being a big fan of watching The 100, this is the first book from Kass Morgan that I've read.

The story follows the four trainees that make up Squadron 20, in the Quatra Fleet Academy.
These young men and women are the best of the best from Tri and the sur
Rosemary Standeven
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The general set-up is not new: a group of young people from different backgrounds put together in an academy, all competing to graduate with full honours. Unlikely friendships are made, there are nasty colleagues, bigotry, some danger, ethical dilemmas and romantic up and downs. Despite all this, our heroes should pull through in the end.
What does set it apart, though, are the well-developed main characters with their backstories, and the moral ambiguities.
The stage
Bookphenomena (Micky)
I loved the concept of this book but I struggled to get invested in the execution of the characters and the story. The idea of a diverse set of space cadets from different planets and places, training to become pilots and other roles is a great concept. However, this felt overly character-driven when I needed more context about the world, the planets, the ‘space-stuff’.

I really struggled to get into this book and kept setting it down but I can say that after 40% it did pick up for me significant
Kristen
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars I think!

This was a fun, quick read. It is from several character’s POV and I def connected more to some than others. Each character was interesting though. I am curious to read the sequel!! I really like the set up at the end of this one. I guess my biggest issue was that some things felt a tad rushed.
Cindy ✩☽♔
Mar 10, 2018 marked it as to-read
I still can't stand cover models for the most part, but on the plus side, I like the diversity I am seeing on the cover. ...more
Paige
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received an arc of this book from TheNovl/Little Brown Young Readers. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Rating: 5/5

Publication Date: October 8th, 2018

Genre: YA Sci-Fi

Recommended Age: 15+ (slightly sexual scenes, romance, violence, death, terrorist  activities and threats)

Pages: 374

Author Website

Amazon Link

Synopsis: Reeling from the latest attack by a mysterious enemy, the Quatra Fleet Academy is finally admitting students from every planet in the solar system after centuries of exclu
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Damn it that was a good ending. Fuck me for not waiting for book 2 *melts to floor*
This had bits and pieces of most YA sci-fis so it was sort of familiar but the plot kept me on my toes. The romances in here hit me in the feels, the betrayals came out of left field and we have yet another book teaching us that bigotry, segregation and "othering" each other is 🎶🎶🎶BULLLLLLLLLLSHITTTTTTTTT 🎶🎶🎶

Super excited for the sequel

Was this Illuminae-level amazing? No but it's a really well developed world wi
Bethany
Light Years is the start of a new YA sci-fi series that feels very cinematic and feels like an easy adaptation for a CW-type show. We follow four students (two with dangerous secrets) as they begin their first year at the Quatra Fleet Academy, training to become space fleet officers. Traditionally populated only by Tridians, the Academy is integrating students from the outer planets for the first time in history, and to a very mixed reception.

I thought that this book was interesting as an explo
Kath (Read Forevermore)
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-arcs, reviews
An arc of this book was sent to me by Little Brown Young Readers (The NOVL) in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

rating: 4 / 5

To be honest with you, I probably would not have picked up Light Years if I had not been sent a copy but I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked this book. So a huge shoutout to the folks over at The NOVL for knowing my book tastes more than I do.

— writing
Super fast paced and easy to read. However, I felt it was a tad bit rushed
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Update the cover please 2 83 Mar 08, 2020 04:57PM

• Het meisjesmanifest
  • Gladiator's Love. Vom Feuer gezeichnet
  • The Life Below (The Final Six, #2)
  • The Final Six (The Final Six, #1)
  • De geur van groen
  • Sex Education: The Road Trip
  • Der Verbrecher aus verlorener Ehre
  • Our Wayward Fate
  • BZRK: Apocalypse (BZRK, #3)
  • MARVEL's Avengers: Infinity War: Thanos: Titan Consumed (Marvel Studio' Avengers: Infinity War)
  • Thief of Lies (Library Jumpers, #1)
  • City of Burning Wings: Die Aschekriegerin
  • Flaming Clouds - Der Himmel in deinen Farben (Above the Clouds, #1)
  • Ariadnis
  • All That Impossible Space
  • Villain (Monster #2)
  • Two Doors Away
See top shelves…
Kass Morgan studied literature at Brown and Oxford, and now resides in Brooklyn, where she lives in constant fear of her Ikea bookcase collapsing and burying her under a mound of science fiction and Victorian novels.

Light Years (2 books)
  • Supernova (Light Years #2)