Start by marking “Cat Person” as Want to Read:

Cat Person

“It was a terrible kiss, shockingly bad; Margot had trouble believing that a grown man could possibly be so bad at kissing.”
Published May 3rd 2018 by Vintage Digital

To ask other readers questions about Cat Person, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Person

Nyakarima
description

No rating because reasons. On second thought, this deserves all the stars in the world.

ALSO: MANY SPOILERS EVERYWHERE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

description

So, I'm kind of on a short story kick especially from authors I've either never heard of- such as this one- or from authors I would give up an ovary for, such as Chimamanda.

The blurb for this short had me wondering what would happen in the next seven thousand or so words.

A New Yorker short story isn't the kind of story where you get fluff. It's the kind of
karen
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
WELCOME TO DECEMBER PROJECT!

boilerplate mission statement intro:

for the past two years, i’ve set december’s project aside to do my own version of a short story advent calendar. it’s not a true advent calendar since i choose all the stories myself, but what it lacks in the ‘element of surprise’ department it more than makes up for in hassle, as i try to cram even MORE reading into a life already overcrammed with impossible personal goals (live up to your potential! find meaningful work! learn to
Trish
May 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This story made me uncomfortable on so many levels.
I read it after reading that it had gone viral online and I was curious to see why. Now I wish I hadn't done that. Which is funny, considering that the MC, too, wishes she hadn't done something.

The story is that of Margot, a 20-year-old sophomore, who meets Robert while working at a movie theatre. It's a story of texting, dating, the different meanings of intimacy and sex, expectations and more.

I must honestly say that I didn't like Margot. I mi
Warwick
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was not that the author forced me into reading this or anything; I clicked on it of my own free will, part of me even quite liked the idea. But pretty quickly I realised it wasn't for me. Too earnest, too mean-spirited, with an off-putting conviction of the narrator's righteousness – I just wasn't getting much out of it. I suppose I should have just said I wasn't enjoying it, closed the window, got on with something else. But from some weird mixture of social awkwardness and millennial ennui, ...more
Bradley
May 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
So when I was voluntold to read this so my friend could stop feeling so alone, abused, and ashamed of herself for having finished this story, I did it because I felt like it wasn't that much of an investment. It's just a short story, I said to myself. Published in the New Yorker! This is what modern literature is all about outside of my cloistered cozy little comforter of SF/F/H books.

WHAT COULD GO WRONG? Or is it Wrog. *Wrong.

Sigh.

Well, I'll tell you. Girl meets older boy, both play out weird
Khush
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it

What is good about the story is that it has generated so much heat. This is great for the writer. Just on the strength of this story, she seems to have arrived on the literary scene.

I liked reading it. But there are also things that I did not follow. I could not help questioning certain aspects of this story.

It revolves around Margot who goes on date with a man far older than her. She gets disgusted and disconnects herself from him.

The guy seems to be a jerk. Someone who knows how to flirt and
Claudia
Feb 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
By Kristen Roupenian

A date gone wrong. I don't see why it sparked so many discussions: it's one in a miriad dates when you discover the person you thought you like actually you didn't. As for his response, most of those rejected feel and act the same; true for both parties involved. So, nothing out of the ordinary and full of truisms anyway.

May be read in New Yorker here: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...
Jocelyn mel
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved how honest the episode was. But I am so shocked that people are relating it to the Me Too movement. First of all, our protagonist was not pressured into anything. Someone has referenced how women get 'needled into acquiescence'. I resent, as a woman, the idea that I'm so soft in the head that I can be manipulated that easily. The protagonist loved imagining how much this guy wanted her. He was hoping she liked him back and was doing the best he knew how.
This is a story, not, as the auth
Shelli
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All men. (Every woman could write a version of this.)
Recommended to Shelli by: The New Yorker
Here it is: the boy-girl game as it manifests in the #MeToo age, which, by the way, started on Earth right around the advent of the genus Homo.

I don't want to accuse my fellow reviewers as being in denial, but I don't see how the scenario in “Cat People” can possibly not ring familiar to to every man and woman (not even just straight!) who has ever interacted with the opposite sex. And I get it: if you're a man, you're not the clueless schlub that Robert is; if you're a woman, you're not a spine
Steelwhisper
Interestingly my former, quite elaborate and scathing, review is gone. So let me just reiterate that I have rarely read such an epitome of a misandrist, sexist story written by a woman as this one. Something is very awry between American men and women, and it most assuredly is not what the author allows her heroine to lament in her stead.

The female protagonist is a sexist, fat-shaming pig, and the male protagonist has so much of no clue at all, that his intelligence seems to stay within reach o
Emily B
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story
At times this story was incredibly uncomfortable and somewhat heartbreaking. What I really found touching was how real it was.
Anna
So, I finally got to reading this short story that has been widely talked about since its publication, which - to my horror - was back in 2017 (seriously, how does time fly so quickly?)

This is an example of a short story that works, at least for me. It is a contained piece of writing and doesn't feel like an excerpt from a longer piece.

As for the contents - I'm sure most women have been in a situation strongly resembling the one Margot got herself into in this story. I am of an opinion that both
Corinne
Available from The New Yorker for free: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...

Q&A - Kristen Roupenian on the Self-Deceptions of Dating: https://www.newyorker.com/books/this-...
-----------------

Had me thinking about the reasons I like Miranda July. This story is similar in that way. You get a cringy peek behind the curtain of a person (character).

I liked reading the Q&A, linked above, after reading the story. For me it helped to solidify some of the issues. This paragraph resonated wit
Kansas
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pues me ha encantado este pequeño relato publicado en "Lo estás deseando" una colección de relatos del que por ahora solo he leido éste aquí traducido como "Un tipo con gatos". Cuando se publicó en el New Yorker en 2017 enseguida se hizo viral y surgió el debate en torno al tema que trata el relato. Totalmente recomendable en el sentido de que es un relato en torno al siempre baqueteado tema en torno a la mujer y las relaciones entre sexos, los roles y las etiquetas, en fin, que a mi me ha encan ...more
Ioana
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a-ok, but for someone that's read a lot of questionable YA/NA/fanfiction...nothing to write home about.
Shea Comfrey
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cat Person is so sad, so clever, and feels so true. Roypenian can sketch out a budding crush in fewer words than I need to get a bus ticket. With incredible dexterity she explores how connections so healthy in our minds and digital spaces can fall apart in the light of day, and how a mixture of hang ups, assumptions and poor communication can lead not just to bad sex but to a gnawing fear that maybe your date never was a cat person after all…
Narges
Dec 18, 2018 added it
Don't know what to say :)))) somehow felt familiar though, like it could be me
Debalina
An internet sensation that appeared in the New Yorker. A friend suggested this to me. And usually her suggestions are good, so I read it immediately.

One most important thing: it IS a really well written story and the way Kristen Roupenian has drawn the characters out is worth an applause. They appear truthful, strange and relatable.

But I don't entirely see it as a symbol of the #metoo movement, but definitely a highlight of the confused areas in a certain sense. And I am 25 and this is a relatab
Cassie-la
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
The short story Cat Person appeared in the New Yorker and went crazy viral, with women recognizing something of their own love lives in the story and men totally missing the point. Now featured in Roupenian’s brand-new short story collection, You Know You Want This, I figured it was the perfect time to see what all the buzz is/was about. While I enjoyed this short, I can definitely understand why this oftentimes uncomfortable read is so polarizing.

ORIGINALLY POSTED: https://bibliomantics.com/201
Maddy H.
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Margot is a twenty year-old college student who develops a casual, flirty relationship with an older man named Robert over text. Margot initially finds the exchanges fun - she wants his approval and builds up an image of what he might be based on their harmless interactions. When they meet up for a date, expectations crash with reality. They don’t know each other very well, and their awkward date is plagued by miscommunication and mutual discomfort.

Roupenian’s story went viral after it was publi
Erin
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Mariel
Dec 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: short-fiction
The first thing I truly wish I could give negative stars.
Melissa Stacy
This short story is excellent. I love it.

Published in "The New Yorker" on December 11, 2107, you can read "Cat Person" free at this link --

So good.
Gretel
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
It's written like Margot feels during her encounter with Robert: You kinda like it but you don't know why but sometimes it sucks and you keep wondering: "is it just bad or is it me?".
So I guess Roupenian did a hell of a job capturing that weird uncertainty and forced crush while also possessing redeeming qualities in her writing style. Damn.

The story is about Margot who works at an "artsy theatre", where she meets Robert. He's cute enough and they start texting. She develops a crush. But I recko
Amy
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Practically perfect in every way
Maleficent (Chelsea) Lord
Dec 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Less than one star. There are far more redeemable pitiful cautionary tales out there.
Sylvia
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
At first I treated the narrator as unreliable. Her wishy-washy attitude got on my nerves. And yet, many of the doubts and insecurities described were so uncomfortably familiar, I suspended that attitude about half way through. Regardless, I didn't like her. She embarked on a fling in an immature and lazy manner and then allowed a friend to decide her fate. She was indecisive and passive aggressive. I knew the guy was going to turn out to be a dud, but not quite in the way it unfolded. The disgus ...more
Charlotte
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Katherine
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I know this short story created an enormous amount of conflict when it first ran in The New Yorker, but I feel the reason it earned a spot in that publication in the first place is because it feels so shockingly real despite being a fictional story. I appreciate the honesty Roupenian revealed in Margot, proving she wasn't *perfect,* not was she *horrible* and is so often the case in most lit featuring a female protagonist.
I graduated from Barnard College in May of 2003. A few weeks later, I left for Kenya with the Peace Corps, where I spent two years teaching Public Health and HIV education at a small orphans' center a few hours from the Ugandan border. During that time, I began learning Swahili and first encountered the literary magazine that later became the focus of my dissertation. Once I returned home, I worke ...more