Start by marking “Own the Day, Own Your Life: Optimised practices for waking, working, learning, eating, training, playing, sleeping and sex” as Want to Read:

Revolutionise your life one day at a time with this empowering handbook designed for men and women which provides simple strategies for each element of your day. Aubrey Marcus, author of the book is CEO of Onnit, a human performance company that he has built into one of the fastest growing companies in the world.

How can we get the most out of our body and mind on a daily b

Published April 19th 2018 by Harper Thorsons (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Own the Day, Own Your Life, please sign up.
Minas https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

I have not read the Aubrey Marcus one, but this is pretty similar in theme. Check it out, it is a bit unconventional, different from the usual self-help books, but pretty interesting and an easy read altogether.(less)

Start your review of Own the Day, Own Your Life: Optimised practices for waking, working, learning, eating, training, playing, sleeping and sex
Allan
Aug 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Sometimes I make mistakes. Sometimes I give the benefit of the doubt and I'm left feeling like a sucker.

This book made me the sucker.

In short it's "Bro science" done really poorly. There is so much bad science that it makes the few good points disappear into the ether. The writing is so bad and it tries to be the author's version of accessible that comes off as condescending. Oh and the use of pop culture phrases like "HAM." That will age well into the next decade. Using "Fuck" liberally. Throug
Brian
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book takes you chronologically from waking to sleeping and suggests different ways to improve the routines you face each day.

It could be summarized in a few pages and, in fact, if you're interested in this at all I would suggest just browsing it at a store or library and going to the end of each chapter where there are '3 point' summaries.
Daniel
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very basic. Not really anything new here. Besides that, the facts about nutrition and supplements are more than doubtful and stand in stark contrast to leading scientific literature (author recommends saturated fats, butter and „animal fats“)
Nathan
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
As a regular consumer of the Aubrey Marcus podcast, I was expecting another piece of excellent work created by him. Own the Day was no exception and I am happy to say that it was a fantastic read. For people who want to start reading about health and also seasoned readers/consumers of health and nutrition information, this book will certainly add value to most people’s lives.

Mainly, I loved Aubrey’s unique approach to adding something to the ever growing self-improvement culture. Basically, as s
Heidi The Reader
Aubrey Marcus shares different life hacks in an effort to improve your day. Because, as he reminds us: "To live one day well is the same as to live ten thousand days well. To master twenty-four hours is to master your life." pg 7, ebook

There's not a lot of new information here, especially not for aficionados of the self help genre. But there are some interesting strategies to try that I enjoyed.

One is to use your commute time to listen to a book or a podcast. As Aubrey points out, if you're goin
Mika Hel
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written and funny

While it is true that there was nothing really new for me in terms of practices to optimize the day, it was a great reminder of what I already know.

I did change the timing of some things (caffeine and hydration).

Aubrey wrote the book much like he speaks about pretty much anything on the podcast. A combination of serious and humor that I really like.

Great work putting together this book. Super good information in here. I haven’t gone to the bottom of the science behind it
Kyla Squires
Well, the basic take away is that if you take care of your physical and mental health you'll have enough energy to do the things you want to do. Which is great, except his advice for taking care of your physical and mental health is just a round-up of all the latest quack diets and fads delivered in that ardent bro style.

I recommend reading Rest: Why You Get More Done When You Work Less by Alex Soojung-Kim Pang instead.
David Keuning
Potty-mouthed jock writes book to sell supplements.
Ben
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Krill oil salesman.

Some O.K. advice mixed with pseudo-intellectual trash.
Ashley
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was full of little useful bits of science and suggestions on how to improve your life. Not to be read for those turned off by profanity. The best part about it, in my opinion, is his recommendation to be mindful and forgiving. It's really his attitude that I like most of all.

page 300: "If we broke our bodies down into the trillions of cells that they are, and imagined those cells as our loyal subjects, and our conscious mind as their ruler, what kind of ruler would we be? Most of us w
John Hannan
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Some good stuff at the beginning and the end, but the huge broscience chunk in the middle was agonizing. No, I do not want to use a literal mace to work out. What gym even has maces? Where could I even get one?
Tomislav Gracin
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tomislav by: Martina
There are some decent ideas (out of quite many presented). But that's about it.
I'll paraphrase the author (from one of last chapters) - "This should have been a five-page PDF".
ORKUN
Jan 04, 2020 added it
There are some good life hacks that are backed by meaningful attitudes, like taking a cold shower to improve your mental strength, or using journaling to get out of the needless thought loops. Even though the ideas are well known and sometimes obvious, going through all the good options for a whole day was refreshing.
Cory Vance
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good aggregation of a bunch of ideas on how to make it a great day. Aubrey has some different opinions on certain topics, but it is always good to listen to a different perspective. A worthwhile read to pick up at least a couple tips on how to Own Your Day.
Tinea Smith
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book full of great motivational stories and the author reads with passion and speaks piercing truth.
Will Tabor
Pros:
Well thought out optimization guide for the modern era. Marcus hits the points he claims to: trying to find optimal ways to improve every aspect of your life.
Good tips
Good recipes
Upbeat, motivational

Cons:
Lackluster science behind the claims of this book. Marcus often introduces a concept or a fad and takes it for gospel going forward. For example, he makes the claim that consuming more than 30g of protein in one sitting is wasteful as your body cannot synthesize it. That claim is hotly deba
Travis McKinstry
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Let me start by saying I honestly really wanted to like this book, and I tried. There is some good information in here for sure. The nutritional advice as well as cold/hot water therapy advice and living life is great. But throughout the book I felt like I was being sold something. This wasn’t the only problem I had with the book because I’ve read plenty of books that were written to sell to the reader and enjoyed them.

Another problem I had with it was the author’s overall advice. The author ten
Tj
Sep 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
I was skeptical about a few things in this book from the start, but the first time I audibly groaned was when the author recommended not using sunscreen because of the health benefits of direct sun exposure. Cool cool, except UV radiation from the sun is just the #1 cause of skin cancer, NBD. I audibly groaned again, and ultimately put down this book for good, when the author highlighted the health benefits of nicotine through smokeless tobacco. Cool cool, except smokeless tobacco is directly li ...more
Paul
Some great information in this book but there are also a lot of things in this book that I just don't buy into. At times it felt like Marcus was giving me a sale pitch for a special store, vitamin, or supplement and those things I'm just not interested in. However, his tips about waking up, nutrition, health, and sleeping were really good. I started to implement some of the things that he shared in this book into my own life. A good read but would recommend with caveats. ...more
Shells Legoullon
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved Aubrey's energy in this book-listened to it on audio. He's most definitely at a different time in his life than I am which made me laugh a few times with some of his ideas on how life should be for the average person. I'd like to hear his take after he's married, older, and has a few kids running around. I did enjoy it though and think just about anyone who wants to "own" their day can take something away from this read. ...more
Ryan Belworthy
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You could listen to hundreds of health, nutrition and human optimization podcasts with different approaches opinions and methods on the latest research, then take an average and work from there... or you could read this book and pretty much have it summed up in an easy going, easily actionable starting platform to optimize or tweak your habbits.
Dustan Woodhouse
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I took my time with this one.

And I took some notes. Also made a few purchases on amazon, but gave away the bits before I could try them myself. Re-ordering today.

Loads of greats data and great tips for a sharper life.
Alex Devero
A well written and entertaining book that offers many solid advice, ideas and tips to improve all areas of our daily lives, from working, training and playing to drugs, sleeping, sex and many more. It doesn't matter who are you or how old are you. This book has at least one useful advice for anyone. A big plus is that all ideas and tips introduced in the book are actionable. Meaning, Aubrey offers instructions on how to implemented all of them right away, and to implement them in the right way. ...more
Bastard Travel
May 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Didn't even clear the first chapter. Too many embarrassing bro science buzzwords. Only started it in the first place because I'm a sucker for optimization, but not enough of one to weather a book that unironically used the word "ownage" in 2018. ...more
Michael Huang
Some easy to follow advices:

* Drink water when you get up. Don’t go for coffee. You are dehydrated after sleep. Coffee can be too stimulating.

* Sugar-heavy diet is bad. Don’t eat sugary cereal for breakfast.

* We don’t have healthy diets as our hunter-gatherer ancestors. They eat grass fed animal we eat corn-fed ones. So supplement minerals and Vitamin D.

* Naps are good. Do it.

K R N
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
on the way to swim at Walden today, i coincidentally listened to Ch. 2, about jumping into cold water and how it's good for you... so i felt a lot more enthusiastic about the water being cold by the time I got there :) High five for that! it already changed me from thinking it's uncomfortable but tolerable to thinking of the health benefits of the shock to the system. i'm going to see how far into the winter i can keep that up ;-).

it has made me laugh outloud a couple of times so far, so that's
Sam
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
 I really enjoyed listening to Aubrey Marcus and his passion for how to Own the Day. Although a lot of what he discusses can be found in lots of other literature, he delivers it in a way that encompasses and summarises the essentials of what you need to take care of, in order to achieve the most out of your life. I particularly enjoyed the discussion about nutrition and the impact that certain foods have on the various parts of your body. Whilst his delivery style is informal and quite laddish, ...more
Brad Lockey
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5* for one simple idea implemented.
I've turbo charged my body by consuming Pink Himalayan Sea Salt + Lemon Juice + filtered water as the very first thing in the morning to replenish my body of what I sweat out during the night. On to the next biohack.
It's a very similar title to the Bulletproof Diet with respect to food, rest, etc ... but there are some deeper conceptual, day to day teachings as well.
Oh, and a chapter on sex. Who doesn't want better, and more, sex?
I listened to the Audiobook and
Durable
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not terribly written, but contains some info presented as fact which is definitely untrue, which makes me quite skeptical of the rest of his advice...
Andy Scott
Jan 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
A random spattering of uninspired Bro science. I stopped reading once he recommended nicotine as a supplement.

• Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
  • Beyond Training: Mastering Endurance, Health & Life
  • The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman
  • Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win
  • Game Changers: What Leaders, Innovators, and Mavericks Do to Win at Life
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual
  • Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance
  • Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever
  • Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World
  • Relentless: From Good to Great to Unstoppable
  • Living with a SEAL: 31 Days Training with the Toughest Man on the Planet
  • Man 2.0 Engineering the Alpha: A Real World Guide to an Unreal Life
  • F*ck Your Feelings: Master Your Mind, Accomplish Any Goal, and Become A More Significant Human
  • Limitless: Upgrade Your Brain, Learn Anything Faster, and Unlock Your Exceptional Life
  • 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos
Aubrey Marcus (IG: @aubreymarcus) is the founder and CEO of Onnit, a lifestyle brand based on a holistic health philosophy he calls Total Human Optimization. Onnit is an Inc. 500 company and an industry leader with products optimizing millions of lives, including many top professional athletes around the world.

Aubrey currently hosts the Aubrey Marcus Podcast, a motivational destination for convers