Start by marking “SLAM!: The Next Jam” as Want to Read:
SLAM!: The Next Jam

SLAM!: The Next Jam

(SLAM! #5-8)

In the fast-paced, hard-hitting, super cheeky, all-female world of banked track roller derby, two young women will need to balance the pull of budding relationships and family obligations with the demands and excitement of roller derby.

After breaking one of the biggest rules in derby (not to mention an actual collarbone) Knockout and Can-Can are back on the track! But the
Published September 11th 2018 by BOOM! Box

To ask other readers questions about SLAM!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SLAM!

Devann
Once again, I absolutely love the art but the story is just kind of meh to me. Maybe there's just too much relationship/personal drama for me? That's a big reason why I don't read much contemporary stuff, but I usually like roller derby stories so I'm not sure what exactly is missing here that is making this comic just average for me. [shrugs]
Kate (GirlReading)
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
the story, the characters, the relationships, the artwork. I love it ALL. I really hope this series continues because I just want more and more.
Christy
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
No one skates alone.
Kathryn Kania
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I actually really enjoyed this one. I see a lot of complaints that this comic had not enough roller derby but honestly I loved that it addressed the drama that can be associated with the sport. I feel like not enough derby stories show that the social aspect can be really hard. There's usually just one mean girl and the rest is all sunshine, rainbows, and bruises. But it's not! There is a ton of really strong personalities and situations arise where there aren't any good choices.

Plus I loved th
Katherine
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5
I was expecting so much more :(
The ending felt super rushed too.
orangerful
Still have the same problem I had with the previous book - sometimes I have a hard time telling the characters apart. But after the first "issue" of the trade, I had a handle on who was who and I really enjoyed this sequel! Roller Derby lends itself so much to the graphic novel format and it really captures the chaos of the practices and bouts. I really hope this isn't the last we see of the Pushy Riots!
Gary
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first book. Feels like they had to wrap things up in a hurry.
47Time
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
The story has lost its heart, somehow, in favor of drama and relationships. There are fewer jokes, but the ending is a happy one.

The story begins on a low note with Jen on probation for leaving the track to care for Maisie after the bump that led to her shoulder injury. She is assigned to train the new recruits, but is doing a poor job because she focuses to much on workouts and not at all on having fun. (view spoiler)
Maggie Carr
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
In my next life I want to be a jammer with serious wheeler rage and huge bruises earned from a won bout. In my next life I won't be timid. Quiet. Afraid to let my body tell me I can't do what my heart tells me I can be capable of. Until then I'll read about my hearts desire and live it out in my dreams. I'd need a good literary name to call myself. Any recommendations?
Aaron
Alas, it just wasn't meant to be. The first volume of this comic book series successfully assembled between its covers the perfect balance of character growth, spontaneous relational drama and worldly feminist enthusiasm. SLAM! #2 is none of this. In the place of character growth, readers encounter awkward and unrequited crushes; in the place of quality relational dynamics, readers are gifted writing that is predictable and boring; and in the cauldron of feminist dialectic, readers find a dulled ...more
Kristin
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
It took me about 15 minutes to read this because only a single comic's worth of plot is spread across five. I was really disappointed at the drop off in quality and characterization between volume one and two; the only good storyline was the subplot about the skater's rebellion against sexualized promo posters.
Travis
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, comics
This series is cute. It's too bad it seems like there won't be any more of it, because I think it could be a lot better if it got more time to develop.
Liralen
I love the focus on roller derby—

The art is glorious—

—and I barely knew what was going on throughout the book. I read volume 1 earlier this year, and once I dredged up memories of what happened there, the backstory here made a little more sense, but they're definitely not things to be read out of order.

Basically...Can-can is still on the injured list; Knockout is still in trouble for helping Can-can post-injury (and is trying to balance derby pressure with real-life pressure); and there's a rook
Jaime
1) SLAM! Vol. 1 ★★★★

content warnings: violence, injuries
representation: asian-american sapphic main character, main interracial f/f relationship, main interracial relationship, side characters of colour

This was just as fantastic as the first volume. I understand some people not liking this one as much because it is more character-focused due to the two leads not participating in roller derby at first, and then even when they are it focuses a lot more on their personal relationships. But I really
Ken Yuen
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hmm, maybe I should have reread the first volume, but I thought this volume was a bit all over the place. What I really enjoyed about the first volume was the relationship between Jen and the short-haired blonde.

This one seemed to focus on Kristen, but she looks very similar to Jen. And it's sort of confusing what's going on with her and the graffiti, and other stuff. It's like you get glances of side stories, but never any depth or answers?

It's just a little hard to tell who I'm supposed to pay
Ashley
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't like this one as much as I liked the first; the artist changed and this one felt a little too "cutesy" to me, and there really wasn't much to the story to satisfy me. Plus, the ending just kind of seemed like it dropped off - and as far as I can tell, that's the end of the series?

This was enjoyable enough, but the first volume is really all you need.
Emma
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Didn't find this to be quite as enjoyable as volume one. The story was a little hard to get in to and I think a reintroduction of the characters would have been great. I also preferred Veronica Fish's art style but that's just a personal preference. That being said, it was still a light and easy read, whilst still retaining much of the adversity and strong female characters as volume one.
Hana
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
After how much I enjoyed the first volume, I must admit that I was a little disappointed in this one. There seemed to be much less character development, little plot, and overall the ending and artwork felt rushed. I still love the series, but I was left wanting more and feeling like nothing much happened in this one.
Amy Lou
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
To be perfectly honest, I didn’t really remember the plot of the first book, so I had a tough time getting into this one. Regardless, I was reattached to the characters and plot by the end of the volume and as usual, I love Veronica Fish’s illustrations!
Gillian
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really did enjoy this volume! Roller Derby sounds sooo much fun but I know I'll really hurt myself trying to do it
Heather
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked it even more than the first volume, but I'm a huge sucker for derby.
Krista
The story was a bit fragmented and all over the place in this volume.
Shell Senseless
The art in this is BEAUTIFUL. I love the characters but sadly the story just kind of trailed off and the ending was really abrupt.
Kari
I need more! Roller derby, sapphics, female friendship, diversity, supportive boyfriend, a mystery! ROLLER DERBY BABES!
Lauren
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Super enjoyable and I still want moooooore but I didn’t love this one as much as I loved the first volume.
Ana Luisa
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute but it could've been part of volume one, and wouldn't have made much of a difference to the storyline. I love these characters and reading anything Roller Derby, so it's okay.
Elizabeth Judd Taylor
Good second volume...just wish these collections came out quicker as I don’t have access to the individual comics!
Jenna Davis
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, graphic-novels
This is a fun series with great graphics and just the right amount of drama!
Tyler
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely not as good as the first book, but still great art, and an easy to read fast paced story.
Tiphany
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first one
Pamela Ribon is a screenwriter (Moana, Smurfs: The Lost Village), TV writer, comic book writer, author, and best-selling novelist. She’s currently co-writing Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph II. She was recently named one of Variety’s 10 Screenwriters to Watch and is a 2017 Film Independent Directing Lab Fellow. She has been a member of the Disney Animation StoryTrust since 2013. She was ...more

SLAM! (10 books)