Start by marking “En la cocina con Kafka” as Want to Read:
En la cocina con Kafka

En la cocina con Kafka

Conocido como "el dibujante de los amantes de los libros", Tom Gauld aúna en sus historietas el mundo de la crítica literaria y el de la cultura pop. El resultado son unas viñetas concisas, brillantes, divertidas e ingeniosas que hacen gala del típico humor inglés y del estilo gráfico absolutamente único que caracterizan la obra de este genial autor.
Published 2018 by Salamandra (first published October 3rd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about En la cocina con Kafka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about En la cocina con Kafka

Start your review of En la cocina con Kafka
karen
 photo IMG_5149_zps0h2fjda4.jpg

gather ‘round, booknerds!

this is a collection of tom gauld’s cartoons, most of which (all of which?) appeared in the guardian, and most of which are book-centric in theme and somewhere on the spectrum of insightful <————————>absurd in tone.

or, to represent that visually:

photo IMG_5155_zpsiufhxiop.jpg <————————>  photo IMG_5152_zpsu4ixa690.jpg

he cracks me up, and i’m glad this collection exists, because it’s one of those perfect gifts to give to other booknerds during gift-exchanging holidays. tom gauld is one of us.

photo IMG_5148_zps1sosltt0.jpg

and we can only nod alon
Sam Quixote
An orangutan wins the TS Eliot Prize for Poetry - OUTRAGEOUS! The errors commonly made by inexperienced murder-mystery novelists - WAHAHAHAHA! The health hazards of becoming an author - the money and fame?! HILARIOUS!!!!?2o29289qwr

Yeah… literary gag strips aren’t very funny. I did laugh once at the Bad Writing Course joke but that’s one out of an entire book’s worth. The gags in general are more thoughtfully amusing and/or clever rather than actually LOL funny.

So Tom Gauld’s back with another b
David Schaafsma
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, cartoons
Tom Gauld produced these cartoons and short comics mostly for The Guardian, some for The New Yorker and NY Times. He has a sort of literary bent in much of his work. I have read his Goliath, a wry story from the perspective of Goliath, and liked it a lot. Subtle, understated, elegant. I read his Mooncop and thought those elements worked less to his advantage in that story. Those are two graphic novels. The other collection of his cartoons/comics I read and liked quite a bit is You're Just Jealou ...more
Dov Zeller
Sort of New Yorker humor with extra lots of literary references and absurdity--a dash of Kate Beaton, a touch of Hanawalt, a pinch of Nicholas Gurewitch--work that seems tailor-made for the McSweeney's crowd? (Is this a fair assessment?)

Some really great individual comics in here--smart, bitterly intelligent and playfully astute. But a bit hit or miss as a whole.

I do think it would make a great gift for those who would appreciate his style.

Here are a few gems
Quiver
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, most likely to be enjoyed by literary enthusiasts, as well as, aspiring authors (despairing of various parts of the writing process).

Five stars for humour in this specific, narrow field. But four overall in the graphic novels category—it's no The Complete Maus or Watchmen.
Elizabeth A
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphix, art
Book blurb: Noted as a "book-lover's cartoonist," Gauld's weekly strips in The Guardian, Britain's most well-regarded newspaper, stitch together the worlds of literary criticism and pop culture to create brilliantly executed, concise comics.

This is a compilation of previously published comics strips, and it would make a wonderful gift for the readers/writers/biliophiles in your life who already have all the books. The art itself is rather basic and stick-figurey with lots of crosshatching, but i
Ilana
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I’m a fan of Tom Gauld’s signature illustration style and his deadpan humour, which usually focuses on reading, books, literature and culture at wide. I’ve enjoyed his previous books “Goliath” (on the biblical personage) and “You’re All Just Jealous of my Jetpack”. As I was leafing through this latest book published in 2017 by Drawn & Quarterly, I was surprised to find I had seen quite a few of these cartoons before, but all was explained: Tom Gauld is a frequent contributor to The Guardian, The
Kim
So good for when you have a moment to read but don't want to get too invested.
A fun collection of Literary comic strip to flip through and reminisce on a Classic, a classic plot device, a classic moment at a literary event, organising the Classics on your bookshelf or a classic writers block. Like all great satire, sometimes a bit close to the truth.... but still hilarious.
Returning this one to the local library with reluctance :D
Vivek Tejuja
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Till now, I have just read one book by Tom Gauld and that is “Mooncop”, which I absolutely loved and couldn’t stop raving about for a long time. And now, the same is the case with “Baking with Kafka”. This one is a series of comics, some of which have been previously published in various publications and most of which focus on books and reading. There are some here and about on pop culture references, but essentially, this one is a treat for all booklovers.

Gauld has this minimal sense of drawin
Javier Curbelo
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sublime. A “must read” for bookworms everywhere
Prince William Public Library System
Baking with Kafka is a collection of Tom Gauld’s comics from The Guardian newspaper. If Gauld’s name doesn’t sound familiar to you, there’s still a good chance you’ve seen his work before on New Yorker covers, in The New York Times, or on your favorite bookish websites and blogs. His hilarious comics are often very literary—the blurb on his publisher’s website says he’s been called “a book-lover’s cartoonist”— and are tailor-made for librarians and avid readers, i.e. Goodreads users. If you find ...more
مهسا حدّادی
The most most most favorite graphic book for nerds and bookworms

This book is available in book,audio book,E-book,drone-book,Nanobook,holographic information crystal,recited by a mechanical raven,odourless gas,explained by a patronising robot and T-shirt

favorite parts:

''Reality is an illusion created entirely within the human mind,but it's the only place you can get a decent cup of coffee''

The sex scene...

the characters: OooooHHHH! This is amazing!
the writer: Hah! That's great!
the editor: Hmm...
Mia
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-gn
Some were funny, most were not.
Karen
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny in small bites. Loses its flavor when binged.
Linda
A very funny book, easily read in a couple of enjoyable hours.
Chez Abaa
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a great read when the New Year's Eve finds you coughing and sneezing around the house. Hilarious, yet truly sarcastic, this best-of collection of Tom Gauld comics bring into our attention many literary changes and developments throughout the decades and genres.
Adorable and fascinating drawings, simplicity and hilarious portraits, make this collection a great pleasure to be paired with a delicious cup of tea.
Story❤
Cartoons for literary types. So much fun to read.
Quynh Than
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would rate this 100 stars if I were able to! Witty comic strips that will definitely make not only writers, but also any bibliophile laughs out loud within 10 seconds. My truly soul-book.

Ai hối lộ đi tui mang ra cafe cho đọc ké hihi
Stevie Finegan (SableCaught)
This is it, the ultimate book for booklovers. If you have friends who are the slightest bit interested in books, buy them this for Christmas and they will never stop thanking you.
Mary Catelli
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-strips
A collection of gag-a-day comics. Dry, heavily bookcentric, frequently literary. Like the book father that told his daughter that they are classics and do not marry fantasy novels -- and she pleads that he is epic and exciting.
Kam Yung Soh
An entertaining collection of comics by Tom Gauld, who mostly creates cartoons for the Guardian. By mainly playing with (and skewering) common tropes in books (mainly literary, science fiction or fantasy works), Gauld shows some of the absurdities that we accept as 'just the way things are done' in society.

Other comics play with literary conventions, like imagining how the characters in novels think about sex, or going on various fantasy quests while knowing most of them won't make it to the end
Suzy
Hilarious cartoons that especially appeal to readers and writers - and who does that NOT apply to here on Goodreads?!!

Sara
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, funny
*cackle cackle*
*tee hee hee hee*
*snap**send*

Tom Gauld's got all the literary jokes.

Especially great to read just before NaNoWriMo.
Elle
If you are a reader or a writer, this collection of literary-themed cartoons by Tom Gauld will tickle your funny bone. I don't give many five-star ratings, but this one gets one for sure. Highly recommended.
Allie
Loved it! A lot like You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack, but almost all literary cartoons. I think I'm going to have to buy a copy for myself and copies as gifts for upcoming birthdays/Christmas. ...more
Maggie Gordon
In which Tom Gauld makes a lot of quippy jokes about books and writing, and I am very amused :) This particular release made me laugh more than his previous compilations, which is probably more telling of my sense of humour than his writing skills. Gauld has a delightfully dry wit, and if you are a literature lover, his comics will amuse!
Hanna
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some really good pieces, but the majority were just ok.
K. Maze
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
hee hee hee - This hits every reader/writer bone in my brain.
Nadine
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3/ 3/4 stars. This was one of the featured book covers on my library's homepage, and with a title and cover like that, how could I not? Every piece wasn't a winner, but there were some very very very funny ones, made all the moreso because the texts and drawings were so simple - for example the one with two hills talking. Check it out. (hey! pun!)
Skyeofskynet
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny in a weird way, wierd in a funny way. Sometimes so on spot.
And comic in a library that says: "Yes, we do have a copy of the book you're looking for. You'll find it in the "Vastly overrated" section of the "So-called classics" department." - it basically sums up my opinion on classic literature.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Cover for new edition needed 3 16 Mar 23, 2018 10:44PM

• Blacksad 1 (Blacksad, #1-2)
  • Список кораблів
  • Оця Марія звірів малювала
  • Характерник #0
  • Амадока
  • Сторітелінг для очей, вух і серця
  • Mistral
  • Pigiama Computer Biscotti
  • Мої запасні життя
  • Inšallah, Madona, Inšallah
  • Why Art?
Tom Gauld is a cartoonist and illustrator. He draws weekly cartoons for the Guardian newspaper and New Scientist magazine. He has created eight covers for the New Yorker and a number of comic books. He lives and works in London.