Start by marking “You Know How the Story Goes” as Want to Read:
You Know How the Story Goes

You Know How the Story Goes

It’s the same old story. Take a chance and pick up a hitchhiker. But only after midnight and only when you need some company. Of course, the hitchhiker will disappear. That’s the way the story goes, right? But this time you are the hitchhiker. And there’s a tunnel up ahead.

From the acclaimed Dutch horror author of HEX comes Thomas Olde Heuvelt's chilling short story "You K
Published February 21st 2018 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about You Know How the Story Goes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Know How the Story Goes

karen
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it

You know how the story goes. One night, you pick up a hitchhiker on a country road. A young lady. It’s always a lady. This lady, she’s paler than the moonlight and doesn’t talk a lot. You see, there’s something about her that stops you from making your move, even though you’re single and she’s pretty. Instead you ask if she’s all right.

“No,” she says. “I’m sorry, but I’m not all right at all. Something very bad is going to happen. Something terrible.”

You ask her what and she says she’s cold. So
Igrowastreesgrow
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, short-story, free
I really liked this one. Took campy ghost stories to the next step. Hope to read more like this one.
Sh3lly
This is like a creepypasta about hitchhikers. Quick and spooky read. There is a small bit where a character talks about a violent animal death that might be triggering for some? But it was good! More of a Halloween read.

Ellen Gail
Am I binge reading short stories to meet my 2018 reading challenge?

Yep.

Is it kinda cheating?

Debatable. (But I feel like those 1000 page books should count extra)

Am I going to do it anyway?

You bet your sweet ass I am.
Jen
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-freebie
Spooky, if a bit cliche. You have heard this story before, but it's delivered well. 3 solid stars.
Sarah Marie
You Know How the Story Goes by Thomas Olde Heuvelt

4 stars

You know the story about the driver who picks up a hitchhiker and suddenly the hitchhiker is gone. Completely vanished. Disappeared into thin air. It's a popular urban legend, but would you would do if you were the hitchhiker and the driver next to you disappears? One of my favorite parts of YouTube is the paranormal storytime section. Occasionally, I'll come across someone reading a Reddit story about some odd, inexpiable occurrence that

carol.
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-story, horror
I read the story "You Know How the Story Goes." Classic urban folktale horror involving a hitchhiker. Good atmosphere, writing a bit clunky at times.
Lena
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100-or-less, horror, tor
FE17C5C6-6DAA-4270-AE48-E81171B24322.jpg
"Do not hitch a ride after midnight.
Stay away from tunnels.
And beware of the Tall Lady."

Sound advise.

You know how the story goes; hitchhiker gets a ride at night, hitchhiker is lucky to live 'til morning. If they do, then surely they are forever safe for having survived such a crucible.

Surely.

Because, you know how the story goes, ghosts can only haunt where they died.

But one highway is just like another.

This story goes... traveling.
Heidi Ward
A short and disturbing riff on the ghostly hitchhiker legend, which Heuvelt turns inside-out and upside-down. It's hard to explain just how *wrong* Heuvelt manages to make simple details feel (try explaining what makes Hex work to a friend), but even old hat takes on a freshly unsettling spin in his hands, introducing "The Tall Lady" and her Prius as new nightmares in a timeless pantheon of legendary creeps.

A fine way to while away a lunchbreak. 4 stars.
Kate
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I found this story a bit tiresome and not scary, and the narrator was an annoying type of drunk guy at a bar. He deserved worse.
Alex Zeegers
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nadat je dit verhaal gelezen hebt wil je nooit meer door een tunnel rijden
Fiona
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thomas Olde Heuvelt brings his own creepy touch to the hitchhiking ghost story - reversing the roles to good effect. As with Hex, he does really well at finding the angle that will come back to you later; unlike Hex, I liked the ending on this one!

Available free here: https://www.tor.com/2018/02/21/you-kn...
Amit
Photo Grid Lite 1522332733094

Ow, ow, ow! Just calm down for a second here, dude! Now that was quite a story to read. Not forgetting to mention that it gave me the feel of total chill inside me...

1. "I can’t say jack about picking up hitchhikers, as I’m not a driver like the person in the story. I don’t even have my license. But wherever you are, do not try and get a ride after midnight."...

2. “I do not like driving alone at night,” said my driver. The silence she dropped was too long. So long that I felt obliged to fill it
Melanie
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
This is available for free over at Tor.com

I must admit I was a wee bit excited about a T.O.Heuvelt short story, I loved Hex with its very creepy witch standing in the corner with her eyes stitched shut (I'm still checking the corners of my room each night...), and while I don't like stories written in the second person, he seemed to handle that pretty well, then switched to first person narration which kept me more in the moment.

The problem I had with it was the constant referrals to Reddit.
ElphaReads
A creepy spin on the phantom hitchhiker urban legend, YOU KNOW HOW THE STORY GOES is a fun short story from HEX's Thomas Olde Heuvelt. He still knows how to portray the most upsetting of imagery when it comes to his horror stories, and I'm sure that I will have a hard time sleeping tonight since any shadow I see is going to set me into a spiral of dread. So thanks again for making something super upsetting, Thomas Olde Heuvelt!
Annathea
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, short, ghost-stories
A nice, creepy and atmospheric read.
Spencer
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was awesome, legitimately creepy and really well written. I'm definitely going to check out more of Thomas Olde Heuvelt's work now!
Janet Martin
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Deliciously creepy, and while based on a well-used urban legend, still had a fresh telling
Nerine Dorman
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh geeze, this story genuinely creeped me out. And I read A LOT of horror shorts, but this one takes the cake and stabs it repeatedly with a scalpel. Don't read this late at night.
Cristina
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

Conheci este autor holandês com The Day the World Turned Upside Down, antes de saber que tinha ganho o prémio Hugo, constituindo o primeiro conto traduzido a vencer na categoaria. Este autor publicou, também, um dos livros de ficção especulativa mais falados de 2013, Hex (e bastante recomendado por João Barreiros) e venceu vários prémios holandeses de literatura.

Em You Know How The Story Goes o autor pega num cliché de horror e desenvolve- competentemente,
Joe
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I LOVE Thomas Olde Heuvelt's writing style, his laconic, throwaway sentences. So this review is informed by that. That said, this story needs a lot more work than has been given it. His style is inconsistent, his narrative is chaotic and messy, his voice changes register at least twice during the story. For a Tor story, it was good. As a short story, it fell short. It was like a very crude attempt to turn Let The Right One In into a short story form.
karenbee
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: tor-short

Stay away from tunnels.

And beware of the Tall Lady.

Most of the comments on this one talked about how hair-raisingly creepy it was, but it didn't come anywhere close to that level of spookiness for me. Maybe because I don't visualize things when I read . . . but I do get creeped out by plenty of stuff regardle
Madeline
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
i love a good ghost story (or stories, in this case) but i which there had been more of an explanation of Tall Lady. also the baby thing confused me (view spoiler)
Cole
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Weer een FAN-TAS-TISCH boek van Thomas Olde Heuvelt! Hij mag dan wel klein zijn, maar dat verhaal! Gewoon geweldig! Spannend, meeslepend voor zo'n kort verhaal. Als t langer was geweest, had ik het misschien niet eens verder durven lezen. De detail en "drang" die hij in het verhaal zet, door zijn manier van schrijven ook. Je wordt gewoon meegesleept in het verhaal. Misschien ook niet het slimste om dit verhaal 's avonds laat te lezen. Maar gelu kmig ben ik geen lifter bij een tunnel na 12 uur, d ...more
Lexi
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Of course I chose this to be the story to read before going to sleep at 1 AM.
Chilling ghost story, urban legend feels, and goosebump-laden content. Thomas did a good job describing moment-to-moment experience so you'll feel it as you read it.
I love the illustration on this very much.
A very satisfying bedtime story for me.
Maria
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, you do, don't you?
A pretty scary story at Tor.com that pushes all the right (or wrong, depends on what effect you are trying to achieve, I suppose - I am trying to distract myself from thinking about work, by scaring myself shitless, for example). Read at night in a cold room for a full effect.
Jana Bianchi
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fiz a burrada de ler esse conto antes de dormir. Achei interessante como o conto subverte o clichezão do terror (a "mulher-misteriosa-que-pede-carona-a-noite") e ainda faz você morrer de medo. Recomendadíssimo.
Beth Roberts
This was almost 5-star worthy. I love urban legends. I wish we got a little more information on the back story and the Lovecraft-esque wasp touches didn't do much for me. I like my urban legends straight-up urban, without cosmic touch-ups. Even so, Tor and short fiction reign supreme.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Dutch novelist THOMAS OLDE HEUVELT (1983) is the author of five novels and many short stories. His work has appeared in many languages, including English, Chinese, Japanese, Italian and French. In 2015, his story The Day the World Turned Upside Down was the first ever translated work to win a Hugo Award. Two more of his stories have been nominated for both Hugo and World Fantasy Awards.

In 2016, Ol