Start by marking “Deadfall” as Want to Read:
Deadfall

Deadfall

Twin brothers Ty and Cory Bic are on the run. When they encounter a dying deer in the middle of a remote mountain road with fresh tire tracks swerving down into a ravine, they know they have to help. But when they reach the wrecked car the vehicle appears empty, with signs that the driver escaped.

Until they hear a sound coming from the trunk.

Ty and Cory are escaping demons
Published December 10th 2018 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Deadfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadfall

Ruthsic
Warnings: child abuse, child sexual abuse, sex trafficking, violence

This mystery thriller delivers its story in two timelines- the present where these twins find a girl trapped in the boot of a car in an accident, and their life 16 months before, counting down to how they came to be on that road. Both timelines are through Cory's perspective, but the present is in first person, and the past in the third person, a choice that felt a bit jarring in the start but which I got used to as I went along
Alicia
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
The change in chronology from about sixteen months ago to the present is what kept the action moving as twin brothers discover a girl in a trunk and are then part of a more sinister plot that leaves them battered and broken when that sometimes seemed tame to the things they experience from their deadbeat and abusive father.

It's a bit bloated but felt action-oriented and thriller-esque for fans of this mystery thriller genre with typical elements to help master the trope but some unexpected disc
Maureen
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an ARC of this slow burn, psychological thriller. I found myself heavily invested in the characters, hoping against hope for the Bik brothers. Cory stole my heart. My other favorite character was Benny. He was unpredictable, terrifying and spot on. The scene with Benny and the brothers on the bridge is horrifyingly realistic. The tension never flags and the pace picks up when they discover the girl in the trunk, but without the prior character development, I wouldn't h ...more
Stephanie Ward
3.5 Stars

Deadfall is a thrilling new young adult mystery that fans of survivalist fiction are going to love. Here's what I liked and disliked about the book:

Liked:

Characters - The twins, Ty and Cory, are completely different in almost every way but they stick together and have each others' backs no matter what. I liked getting to know both of them throughout the story, especially Cory who we get to know even better in the 'present' part of the book because he narrates it.

Writing Style - I love
Alexander Highfield
Deadfall began with real promise, its structure – alternating between the increasingly recent past and the present in the style of a film noir – plus some choice ‘reveals’ along the way meant I was keen to keep reading and find out how the increasingly complicated plot would tie up in the end. However, it proved far too long with too many confusing passages which served to undermine its own ending.

The plot revolves around twin brothers Corey and Ty Bic and their life with their abusive father B
Kathy Martin
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story begins when Benny Bic takes his twin 16-year-old sons Cory and Ty on a road trip for their birthday. Benny is a drunk who has taken to physically abusing Cory since his wife left the family a couple of years earlier. Ty is the one who is the most like their father, including his anger issues. Cory is more sensitive. He's fat, bright, interested in cooking, and is coming to believe that he is gay.

The road trip isn't something either of the boys want to do. They wind up hiking into the
ElphaReads
Special thanks to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of this book!

If you advertise a book that involves two brothers on the run who find a kidnap victim in the trunk of a car, I will probably be enticed. Given that reality, it's not surprising that I was interested in DEADFALL by Stephen Wallenfels. I was lucky enough to get an eARC from NetGalley. So I dove in, hoping for something that would keep me on the edge of my seat.

Cory and Ty, twin brothers who have been through a lot together, are
Jackie
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2018-reads, thriller
A trapped in the wilderness thriller that seems to be Wallenfells go to has just enough intrigue to keep you guessing as the past and present meet resulting a bloody conclusion.

“Deadfall” goes back and forth in time telling the story of twin brothers Ty and Cory trying to make a life with an absent mother and deadbeat dad whose get rich quick plans go from bad to worse. I’m the present, the brothers are in the woods in a stolen car when they come upon a crash with something darker lurking withi
Lectus
Jul 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult
I didn't find the narrative interesting. The story starts in the past, 16 months ago, and then jumps to the present. For some reason, I wasn't interested in the past though I know it was somehow tied to the present.

In short, this book was not for me.

Thank you Netgalley for providing mt with a free copy of this title.
Sandy O'Brien
Dec 10, 2018
Anna
Jun 19, 2018
Tamara Morning
Dec 08, 2018
Kim Cabrera
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cory and Ty Bic are twin brothers. On their 16th birthday, their father, Benny Bic, takes them on a hike into the mountains to visit an old place he found there. Someone had made a shelter inside an old stump. Benny takes this opportunity to tell them that he has sold their home (and everything in it) and that they are moving to Portland. In Portland, the boys find the new home to be a trashed crack house owned by their father’s new business partner, an unscrupulous man named Tirk.

Cory is the n
Cheryl
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hard-hitting thriller

TRIGGER WARNINGS:
Emotional, physical and sexual abuse, implied rape, sex trafficking, violence.

This was a dark, difficult book for me to read. Don't get me wrong - it's an excellent book. But know that just because this book has two teen brother protagonists, that doesn't make it a teen book.

It bounced back and forth between the past and present events in Ty and Cory Bic's lives, which I thought was handled very well by the author. And the momentum and suspense kept buildin
Kris Cram
JennRenee
Sara Grochowski
Liz Orange
Apr 07, 2018
I wrote freelance in the health and fitness industry for twelve years before re-committing myself to my first love - writing fiction. After publishing several short stores for kids, I wrote and published my first novel, POD (namelos.com | Penguin/Ace), a YA scifi survival story set in Prosser, Washington and Los Angeles, California.
My second novel, BAD CALL (2017 with Disney/Hyperion) is a YA s