Start by marking “Kept in the Dark” as Want to Read:
Kept in the Dark

Kept in the Dark

Struggling actor Dean, only escorts occasionally to pay the bills. So, his first instinct on being offered a job with a strange set of conditions is to turn it down. No date. Don’t switch the lights on. Don’t touch him. I mean, what’s that all about? What’s the man trying to hide? Dean certainly doesn’t expect sex with a faceless stranger to spark so much passion inside ...more
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 316 pages
Published February 11th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Kept in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kept in the Dark

Start your review of Kept in the Dark
Lyn
Dean's behavior towards the end, ruined what would have been one the be best hurt/comfort reads for me so far this year. It's such a shame he selfishly focus on his hurt feelings instead of behaving like an adult.
Moony Eliver
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Moony by: Xia Xia
Shelves: 2018, m-m, lgbtqia
I thoroughly enjoyed this quick read, more than I would have expected to if I’d known its strengths and weaknesses beforehand. It reads like a modern, sweet, and sensual fairy tale. There’s the Beauty & the Beast bit, but it’s not only that...

It has a dreamlike quality. Although there is angst, there’s also a complete lack of pretense about what’s happening. The reader is omniscient the whole time, despite the first person pov. I know some readers had a problem with... (view spoiler)
Xia Xia
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, cute-love, rent-boys
I liked it. A cute, angsty and heartwarming story.
Dean is an aspiring actor with bills to pay. Acting is not so successful so he has to wait tables to pay the rent. When his car breaks down and other expenses come pilling in he takes a third job and becomes a male escort.
The chance of a double pay makes him accept a contract with peculiar rules: go to the client's house, get up the stairs, find the bedroom on the left and don't comment on the darkness inside. Don't open any lights, don't try to
Wynne Katherine
May 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf

MC was way too immature for my taste.

It's like reading a high school boy going through puberty.

Not my thing.

DNF.

Blog : Bloggity Blog
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, 2018
Dean and Justin

Dean has more than one job. He works at a bar, is original an actor, but also works as an escort.
When his escort boss calls him it's simple.... an address, no touching and everything in the complete dark. Simple....
The man in the dark whispers more than speak and his touch is very arousing... after he let Dean come hard he has to leave immediately....Dean thinks it's a one time thing only.... there is a next appointment....and the stranger in the dark wants him again...
Dean never
annob
Several positive reviews from my GR friends made me want to read this book, and I wasn't disappointed. A rather adorable take on the theme of inner versus outer beauty.

The writing flowed easily, low angst and a lot of steam. The meetings with a stranger in total darkness was titillating, the rest of the story with the relationship struggles and failed dates a pleasant read too. It was a bonus to find a whole cast of side characters who all fit nicely into the plot. I will definitely check out
Gabi
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Imagine that you can't see, totally in the dark... and you're at the mercy of one man. You don't know how he looks like, who he is. Maybe he's a murderer, maybe he's just ugly or older than you're grandfather. But you don't even care, because that man makes you feel so good, and while you're lying underneath him, you can imagine that he's the sexiest man on earth, or the hot guy next door, who's doing all kinds of things to you. It's a bit scary, alone with a total stranger, but that's just ...more
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lbr, mm, ebook

I had a feeling from reading the blurb that this would end up being a sweet story, which isn’t normally my go to type of story. However, I also love stories about healing, second chances, etc., and this one delivered that as well.

You can pretty much figure out what happens from the blurb, but there is a lot more to this story. Dean accepts the escort job with the strange rules – absolutely no lights, no touching, and very little talking. But the money is good, and Dean quickly realizes he is
Kazza
I'm slowly working my way through H L Day's back catalogue.

I really enjoyed this contemporary Beauty and the Beast tale centred around two men.

Great characters with strong emotional output, my crack, and an interesting dilemma for them both.

photo Potential-OTDU-Banner-9-Smaller2_zpsf0878d67.png
AussieMum
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited

I liked most of this. As a reader it's pretty easy to work out what's going to happen but Justin really tugged at my heartstrings and the writing was good enough to keep this interesting.
"...we had something really good. Both in here, and in the real world. You may have thought it was two separate things, two separate people, but I knew for much longer that the man I was falling for in the dark, and the man I absolutely and completely fell for in the light were one and the same."
Julia Begander
Mar 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
I honestly don't get why this book has such great ratings...

Both characters had major issues (as in they were complete headcases) and their relationship was seriously fucked up.

Why on earth did I even finish that book?! I feel like I deserve an award for that...
Valerie
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book took me completely by surprise, and I was blown away by how much I loved it.

Dean, who is a struggling actor, a waiter, and an escort, meets Justin through his escort job, although he has no idea. You'll have to read it in order to understand. Dean is the opposite of what you think of when you think of an actor. He's sweet, caring, and goes out of his way to make people comfortable and happy. Justin, who has burns from his time in the Army, is a little hesitant around others because
Fani *loves angst*

My suggestion would be to read this book without reading the blurb here in GR. I started reading last evening and could barely put it down so I could see where the mystery with 'Tuesday man' would lead. I'm very glad I was left in the dark for almost 50% of the book, it made the story fly for me and I think most readers would prefer it that way as well.

All in all, a delightful mix of The Truth About Riley and 'You've got mail', with just the right doses of angst and sweetness to keep it
Claudia
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book!!
can't believe this book was sitting on my kindle for ages!!! absolutely loved it!!! devoured it in one sit
Leyna
2-2.5 stars maybe?

I should definitely rate books just right after reading them because the longer I sit and think about my review, the fewer stars I give;)

'Kept in the Dark' is a contemporary 'Beauty and the Beast' tale. My first thought: "I really enjoyed this one". But then I started to have second thoughts [and really I hate to have them ;)] and the results of my overthinking aren't that satisfying.

It's a very predictable and quick read but it really isn't this book's main flaw. It's the main
Ankita Singh
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another awesome read by H.L. Day

Kept In The Dark was everything I expected it to be and more. I absolutely loved reading it and I'd definitely recommend you to check it out.
B
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audibles
OMG!
Hot,hoooooot.
Awesome narration.
Tanja
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was surprised by this book and in a very good way. I loved it. H.L. Day is a new-to-me author, and I am very glad I got to know her. It was an amazing story. Beautifully written with great characters and an intriguing and original plot. It could have been predictable, but the author managed to keep surprising me. Once I started reading, I couldn’t put the book down.
Dean is a struggling actor, waiter by day and escort by night, who just goes that extra step further from being an escort to
Diane Dannenfeldt
Okay guys, a little bit of communication goes a long way. I would have liked to have gotten into Justin's head & apparently I am getting to be more into dual POV. I didn't like what happens towards the end, even though it does end in a HEA. Anyway, if we could have dropped the non-communication & the way Dean handled things in the end, I really enjoyed the book. I liked how scared Dean was at the first meeting w/Justin & worried that he was maybe meeting some kind of like serial ...more
Crystal N
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-romance, so-cute
4.5 - I loved this one. So much sweeter than the blurb makes it sound like. It's still sexy as all get out, but I found myself smiling in this one. A lot.
Anke
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sample
More like 4.5 stars

Rather predictable, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.
Theresa
Mar 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Boring story of beauty and the beast. Dean was a pathetic loser. He was self absorbed and self centered. He had double standards for himself. He was weak and spineless. He was lazy and had no ambition.
Lada
Jun 16, 2018 marked it as dnf-2018
Shelves: wishlist
DNF at 14% because I disliked the MC who was an aspiring actor and also a waiter and an escort on the side. I hate his attitude of looking down on his escort job while having no qualm to use the money from it to keep himself afloat. And that female friend of his....
Ali
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review An Alisa Review:

Rating: 4 stars out of 5

I put off reading this book and I’m not sure why because I really enjoyed it. Dean is struggling to get by and when the opportunity to make the extra cash he needs he cautiously takes it but it turns out to be more than he bargained for. Justin has been hurt by a lot of people since he got out of the army but Dean is one of the first to not treat him differently.

Dean and Justin get along well from the first time
Ann
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the hauntingly beautiful story of Justin, an ex-servuceman who is terribly scarred after being caught in a fire during a tour of duty. He has come to believe the only way he will have sex is to pay for it.
Dean is the escort who turns up for sex, in the dark, with no touching. Things go wrong after they meet in public at the restaurant where Dean waits tables and Justin realises who Dean is.
How they work through their problems is beautifully written and if this wasn't so I would have
Nanna Sander
What an amazing book!

I was intrigued from the beginning, and I read it in one sitting - I just could not put it down once I got into it.

Pretty quickly, I did know what was going to happen, but that didn't take away the joy of learning more about Justin and Mr. Tuesday alongside Dean.

The characters are well-developed, the sex scenes are diverse enough to keep being entertaining, and the mystery of Mr. Tuesday was enthralling enough to keep me fascinated.

Highly recommend this if you're looking for
Samantha Cato
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful!

Words can't express how much I loved this wonderful story! The main characters were just beautifully written and I am so sad it is over! I can't wait to read more by this author!
Tina
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
recommended read
Kept in the Dark by H.L. Day is a great story. I loved this fast-paced story. It has a great connection, vibrant characters that I fell in love.
Dean is a struggling actor. He escorts to pay the bills.
Justin is scarred up and ex-army.
That is the general overview of them. But they are so much more than just that. They have depth, Dean is kind and sweet. He is a character I would love to see in another story too. He is adorably sweet.
Justin is handsome both inside and out. I loved
Randall
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dean, an actor, does a bit of escorting on the side, only a small number of jobs of which involve sex work. At one of these jobs he meets “J,” or rather doesn’t actually “meet” him, because the encounter takes place entirely in the dark, the pitch black can’t-see-your-hand-in-front-of-your-face-dark. He’s not allowed to touch J, which is complicated even more by the fact that the sex is the most mind-blowing he has ever had. When Dean later meets scarred ex-army soldier Justin at the restaurant ...more
Nat ReadingAllNite
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars
I am quite fond of escort/rent-boy stories and I really liked this fresh take on the trope. Dean’s character was so likable as best friend to Georgia, who is also annoying as only a childhood bf can be, and a caring co-worker at the restaurant. Best of all, adding sex to his escorting was a conscious choice, not made out of desperation, albeit motivated by money. Justin was also interesting and it was understandable why he arranged things as he did. I did get pissed with the both of
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add this book to my profile. 3 18 Feb 12, 2018 07:56AM

• Owl's Slumber (Trials of Fear, #1)
  • The Last Text
  • Hidden in Darkness (In Darkness, #1)
  • The Boss (The Killough Company, #1)
  • Long Way Home
  • The Guy in the Window
  • Broken (Heaven and Hell Club #1)
  • After the Crash (Small Town Hearts #1)
  • Too Close
  • Rocky Mountain Refuge
  • A Light in the Darkness (In Darkness, #2)
  • Happy for You (Love & Family #3)
  • Kel's Keeper
  • Free Hand (Irons and Works, #1)
  • Ricochet (Out for Justice #1)
  • Love Bites (Thicker Than Water #1)
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas
H.L Day grew up in the North of England. As a child she was an avid reader, spending lots of time at the local library or escaping into the imaginary worlds created by the books she read. Her grandmother first introduced her to the genre of romance novels, as a teenager, and all the steamy sex they entailed. Naughty Grandma! Romance novels were forgotten for a while when real life got in the way: ...more