Start by marking “Peril in Paris (Taylor & Rose Secret Agents, #1)” as Want to Read:
Peril in Paris (Taylor & Rose Secret Agents, #1)

Peril in Paris

(Taylor & Rose Secret Agents #1)

ALL ABOARD THE TRAIN TO PARIS!

It’s 1911, and the young detectives of TAYLOR & ROSE are turning their talents to ESPIONAGE.

On a case for the mysterious SECRET SERVICE BUREAU, the daring MISS SOPHIE TAYLOR and MISS LILIAN ROSE must leave London for the boulevards and grand hotels of Paris.

But DANGER lurks beneath the bright lights of the city - and INTRIGUE and MURDER li
Published August 9th 2018 by Egmont

Start your review of Peril in Paris (Taylor & Rose Secret Agents, #1)
Laura Noakes
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adored Katherine Woodfine’s earlier series, THE SINCLAIR’S MYSTERIES, so I was over the moon to hear that she was continuing Sophie and Lil’s adventures. PERIL IN PARIS is definitely a shift from the earlier books, in the sense that espionage is at its forefront, but it still retains the charm and excitement of Katherine’s first four books.

The problem with reviewing a book that is a follow on from an earlier series is that there’s not a lot I can say without spoiling THE SINCLAIR’S MYSTERIES.
Robin Stevens
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely charming, exciting and wonderful, a fitting return for one of my favourite detective duos. This daring historical spy novel follows on from the Sinclair's Mysteries, but you could read this having never read another of Katherine's books, and still enjoy it very much. Hooray for Lil and Sophie, and I'm so glad that Katherine has started such a fun series! (10+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. If you use it in any marketing material, online or anywhere on a p
Daphne
This was closer to 3.5, but I've decided to round it up because I did enjoy the book.

Peril in Paris is the first book in a new series with the same main characters as the The Sinclair’s Mysteries book series, but with a different setting and them being a bit older. The characters are now seventeen and are secret agents, which takes their adventures further away from Sinclair's department store. I enjoyed the mystery and the new characters, as well as the two separate story lines. But I did miss
Flora Storey
Apr 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book with drama and some comedy i loved it! On a case for the mysterious secret service bureau, the daring miss Sophie Taylor and Lilian Rose must leave London for the boulevards and grand hotels of Paris. But danger lurks beneath the bright lights of the City - and intrigue and murder lie in store. As aeroplanes soar in the skies overhead, our heroines will need to put all their spy skills to the test to face the peril that awaits them...
I highly recommend this book to an
Kirsty
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved being back in the world of Sophie and Lil
Izzy Smith
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Wow. Thought provoking, interesting, full of twists and turns. Along with Sinclair's, these books are the best I've probably ever read. :D ...more
Nikki
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
My favourite middle grade mystery series has been upgraded to a spy series!! Featuring awesome, smart, quick thinking and brave girls! Love it.

I really enjoyed the Sinclair’s mysteries book, and I think I’m going to enjoy the Taylor & Rose Secret Agent series even more, based on this book.

Fun, intrigue, assassination plots, political intrigue, aeroplanes... what more does a book need?? I loved getting to see Sophie and Lil more settled into their lives as detectives, and now secret agents. And
Megan
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
'Of all the cities Papa and I have visited this year, it is Paris that still seems the most marvellous. Perhaps it is because it was there that Papa and I first began this great adventure'.

Last Christmas, I read the entire Sinclair's Mysteries series, and I ADORED it. Each and every book was packed with charm, twists, turns, and an abundance of beautiful writing.
When I'd finished The Mystery of The Midnight Peacock, I was desperate to pick up Peril in Paris, the first book in the spin-off s
Anna Wigley
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great mystery for Lil and Sophie to solve. It was extremely dramatic and I can't wait to read the next one. ...more
Janine
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Peril in Paris is a wonderfully clever and perfectly charming historical mystery. It is a spin off of the amazing Sinclair's Mysteries series but works well as a standalone.

Sophie and Lil are such brilliant protagonists. They are clever, determined and adventurous, during a time period when that wasn't always appreciated in young women. The author does a great job showing some of the beliefs of the time, whilst letting Sophie and Lil prove them wrong with their actions!

The storyline is utterly e
Aurora
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good! I recommened this series to anyone who has read murder most unladylike by Robin Stevens or anyone who likes a good mystery!
Tim Roast
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Peril in Paris” is a Taylor & Rose Secret Agent book. It is the first in the series but follows characters from the Sinclair’s Mysteries series from the same author. As such it is recommended you read those first, although not essential. This book does standalone but, having not read the others, I didn’t fully know the background to “Fraternitas Draconum” which is an evil collective that features in this book.

The story is set in 1911, and I would say the author does a good job of evoking how I’
Sophie Jones
Mar 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
I have never read the earlier series, 'The Sinclair Mysteries', and I worried that this series may be unreadable because of this. However, to my delight, I was able to jump aboard the espionage train and join Sophie and Lil on their adventures.

In this story, Sophie is pretending to be a dead man's niece and investigating his suspicious murder whilst Lil is undercover as a nanny for royalty. Both women uncover different parts of the mystery which eventually capitalise in an exciting plane chase!
Breige
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
As a big fan of the Sinclair Mysteries series, featuring Sophie, Lil and the rest of the gang, I was very excited to see that those 4 books wasn't the end of their story. Sophie and Lil now run Taylor and Rose Detective Agency and are so successful that they have others to work on the smaller jobs while they help out with the Secret Service Bureau! The book opens with Lil away on a secret mission and Sophie being sent to Paris to investigate the mysterious death of another British SSB agent. We ...more
Arti
Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
The first book of a new series, it follows from the old Sinclair’s mysteries but sets up a new bigger story... it has the same characters , but in a new role and a new setting... the story shifts from London into an international adventure... and the girls are no longer working girls in the department store, but running their own detective agency and secret agents working for the British intelligence agency...

This book runs two separate threads - first is an investigation into a murder of a prof
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In the first of the new Taylor and Rose, Secret Agents series, we follow Sophie and Lil two years on from the Sinclair`s quartet now that they primarily work on cases for the Secret Service Bureau as spies. It`s told in third person, but we see sections set in two separate places, because the girls are apart for the vast majority of the book, and I enjoyed that a lot. While I love Sophie and Lil`s friendship when they`re sharing scenes, seeing them apart made me appreciate their individual stren ...more
Josie
[Audiobook version]

I thought the Sinclair's Mysteries series was adorable, but turning the girls from amateur detectives into spies was just a stretch too far for me.  Sophie was a bit of a drip -- she can't work out why on earth a fountain pen would contain a clear liquid instead of ink, and is "astonished" when Tilly suggests it might be invisible ink.  Apparently you need to be studying chemistry at university, like Tilly was, to work that one out...

In general, the girls seemed rather underpr
Vicky Price
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A riveting good read

My excuse is I am reading more contemporary children’s fiction in order to find books that my reluctant reader might enjoy. The truth is, a good tale is a good tale, regardless of the target market.

The shift from private detectives to secret service agents sets Lil and Sophie in a believable setting for a new range of international adventures. But again, the Dragons feature prominently in their quest to profit from international unrest. And the gradual uncovering of Sophie’s
Liesl
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
A good old fashioned adventure yarn. I loved the historical setting and the subtle nods to classic adventure stories, not to mention the history of the British Secret Services (yes, I geeked out at the mention of 'C' writing documents in green ink). Fun and engaging characters too, and the two stories wove together nicely. Although this is the start in a new series, several of the principle characters come from Katherine Woodfine's other series about the Sinclair. Despite there being enough expl ...more
MaykenAlanna
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I bought this book, I wasn't aware it was a continuation of another series, THE SINCLAIR'S MYSTERIES. The protagonists Sophie Taylor and Lilian Rose came with a lot of backstory unknown to me, but it was nicely woven into the story, just enough to intrigue me a bit (and I just might check out the Sinclair's Mysteries as a result) but not so much as to mar the reading experience.
The storytelling from three different points of view (Sophie, Lilian and one-off (?) character Anna) is expertly d
Ella Storey
Mar 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is set 8n 1911 and the young detectives of Taylor & Rose are turning their talents to spying/espionage.

Lilian Rose is undercover at a palace in Arniovia. She has to try and uncover a plan and stop the Crown Prince and Princess get kidnapped and handed over to the enemy.

Sophie Taylor, on the other hand, has been sent on a mission to find out more about the murder of Professor Blaxland. Is it just a being - in - the- wrong- place- at- the -wrong -time sort of incident, or is it more comp
Sian
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
So exciting to join Lil and Sophie on their adventures once again, this time as agents working for the British Government in the Secret Service Bureau.

Why this book doesn’t have five stars is simply because I wish there was more of them working together! Although, it was nice to try and solve two mysteries at once instead of one! We join Sophie as she heads to Paris to investigate the death of Professor Blaxland, whilst trying to avoid the clutches of the suspicious grey man, and we simultaneous
Anneke Michaline
May 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 12-13, owned
This was a fun, light-hearted mystery that I enjoyed quite a lot. Having loved the Sinclair's Mysteries, the first series featuring these characters, I was quite eager to go on to this one.
The characters are distinct and unique, and the plot had several very unexpected twists that kept it exciting. I appreciated seeing Sophie and Lil working separately; it was a terrific way to grow both of them as characters. The new setting of this book showed that the author isn't limited to writing about one
Judy Wollin
May 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Sophie is a secret agent. Orphaned by a mysterious organisation plotting international conflict she survives on her wits to run a detective agency. Lil is her friend and co-owner of the agency and her best friend. They are both sent on cases in Europe.

Sophie is undercover as a wealthy heiress whose uncle has been murdered. She travels to Paris to search for clues.

Lil is sent to protect a princess and prince from being kidnapped.

What brings their paths together in Paris? Can they help each other
Liz Filleul
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Katherine Woodfine's books are so clever and well crafted, and Peril in Paris is no exception. This is the first in a new series of adventures for Sophie and Lil from Woodfine's Sinclair's mysteries. Sophie and Lil are a couple of years older and working for the British secret service, and are as resourceful and daring as ever. The book contains a plot line about a Ruritanian kingdom and to my delight there is a reference to the Crown Prince of Belsornia! This is a really entertaining book and I ...more
Robyn
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kindle
So glad to be back with Sophie and Lil! I really was sad that our heroines spent the entire book separated from each other, as well as being divided from the rest of the wonderful group. The way the various characters work together and play off of each other is a big part of the joy of Woodfine's works. But the ladies are growing older and more independent, and it wouldn't be sensible to expect the Secret Service to always assign them together. I'm glad enough of the new series to see where it g ...more
C.G.Koens
Youthful Fiction with a Flair

I read the first series by Wood fine, and didn't realize this was a continuation of it, but was pleased when that became clear. It's not great fiction, but it's a fun little mystery. Kidnapping attempts, secret service assignments (that seem a little over the top for a 17 year old girl in 1911), loose ends, girl power, airfield excitement...Woodfine puts a little bit of every spy, adventure, and mystery story in this new series. It's a cute 3-star story, which I prob
Tara
May 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I read the book without reading any of the clockworksparrow books beforehand, but it was incredibly easy to catch up. There were a few spoilers so read the previous series before this if you want to read both. What I loved most about this book is that there were two great and completely different stories views that merged together. One was about a spy getting a case from her agency and another about a princess who suspects something fishy in her castle. This was different from other my
Beth Younge
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've read most of Katherine Woodfine's Sinclair Mystery series and knew i had to continue with the characters in the first book of this new series. I loved how Lil and Sophie are on two separate tasks that become one over the course of the book. Woodfine had me hooked from the second chapter and it was great to see the characters from her previous series with some new faces. I'm already planning on reading the next book when it comes out as i have to know what happens next!

I received this book f
I Read, Therefore I Blog
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Katherine Woodfine’s latest historical adventure for children aged 9+ continues the SINCLAIR MYSTERIES SERIES, combining mystery and espionage to fast-paced effect while featuring evocative illustrations by Karl James Mountford. Because Sophie and Lil are older now, Woodfine’s introduces the younger characters of Anna and Alex to keep the target audience interested while making full and clever use of the intrigue and paranoia of the period.
Hmm, Meghan McCain 1 4 Sep 08, 2018 08:37AM

• Murder at the Museum (Agatha Oddly, #2)
  • The Secret Key (Agatha Oddly, #1)
  • Death Sets Sail (Murder Most Unladylike #9)
  • The Silver Serpent (Agatha Oddly, Book 3)
  • The Guggenheim Mystery (London Eye Mystery, #2)
  • Top Marks for Murder (Murder Most Unladylike, #8)
  • The Case of the Drowned Pearl (Murder Most Unladylike #8.5)
  • Death in the Spotlight (Murder Most Unladylike, #7)
  • The Case of the Blue Violet (Murder Most Unladylike, #3.5)
  • The Last Secret (Scarlet and Ivy, #6)
  • The Case of the Missing Treasure (Murder Most Unladylike, #6.5)
  • Murder Most Unladylike (Murder Most Unladylike, #1)
  • Cream Buns and Crime: A Murder Most Unladylike Collection (Murder Most Unladylike, #0.5, 3.5, 4.5)
  • Black Cats and Butlers (Rose Raventhorpe Investigates, #1)
  • Arsenic for Tea (Wells & Wong, #2)
  • The House of One Hundred Clocks
  • First Class Murder (Murder Most Unladylike, #3)
  • Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike, #4)
Katherine Woodfine is the author of the bestselling SINCLAIR'S MYSTERIES series, beginning with THE CLOCKWORK SPARROW which was shortlisted for the Waterstones Children’s Book Prize, longlisted for the Branford Boase Award, and nominated for the CILIP Carnegie Medal.

Until 2015 she worked for reading charity Book Trust on projects including the Children’s Laureate and YALC. She now combines writin

Taylor & Rose Secret Agents (4 books)
  • Spies in St. Petersburg (Taylor and Rose Secret Agents, #2)
  • Secrets on the Shore (Taylor and Rose mini adventure)
  • Villains in Venice (Taylor and Rose Secret Agents 3)