Start by marking “You Can Lead a Horse to Murder (Secrets of Sanctuary Cozy Mysteries Book 1)” as Want to Read:
You Can Lead a Horse to Murder (Secrets of Sanctuary Cozy Mysteries Book 1)

You Can Lead a Horse to Murder

(Secrets of Sanctuary Cozy Mysteries #1)

There's a killer in Sanctuary, and the prime suspect is a horse!

Spirited Ember Burns is led back home to open her own veterinary practice, and her first client lands her in the middle of a murder mystery. When the evidence points to the horse as the cause of death, she vows to protect him.

But horses don't talk and neither do the dead, so Ember has to rely on her intell
Published March 12th 2018 by Forest Grove Books

To ask other readers questions about You Can Lead a Horse to Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can Lead a Horse to Murder

Start your review of You Can Lead a Horse to Murder (Secrets of Sanctuary Cozy Mysteries Book 1)
JoAn
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
You Can Lead a Horse to Murder by Tara Meyers is the first book in the Secrets of Sanctuary cozy mystery series. This was an intriguing beginning to this new series that captured my attention from the first chapter. Ms. Meyers descriptive writing allowed me to see the valleys, lakes and forests surrounding Sanctuary, WA. The town of Sanctuary itself is not clearly defined but Ember and Mel are smart and likable characters. Plenty of twists and turns kept me guessing until the end.
Sharon Martin
A very good murder mystery for both teenage and adult readers alike, anyone who has an interest in animals or vets will really enjoy this read.

When a horse is accused of killing his groom our heroine is called into action and when strange things happen around her suspicions rise even further. The setting takes us to an idyllic place which brings peace and tranquility to the readers mind and a place where we all would like to live. The story gives you a really good feel how it is to be a vet and
Tari
Ember Burns never dreamed that when she opened up a veterinary clinic after burying her mom back in her small town of Sanctuary, WA that she'd be on a mission to clear a horse of murder. As the danger started to build while Ember investigated, she already knew something was rotten out at the local stables if everyone was so content to see the death of a farrier ruled as accidental due to horse trampling. Ember was determined that beautiful Butterscotch, who was really a sweet and gentle horse, w ...more
Michele
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Do you think a horse could be the murderer? Nah--neither do or did I. But Ember Burns, a veterinarian has to prove it! Although she grew up in the small town of Sanctuary it has been years since she has been back. Small towns never really change--and everyone has LONG memories--including Ember. And every small town has lots of secrets that are hidden--well hidden.

Ember has to wade through a lot --and discovers some of those secrets as she tries to prove the horses innocence! There are lots of ve
Lynn  2 Girls & A Book
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook Review

Cozy mysteries are quickly becoming my go to read or listen when I am in the mood for a light mystery. Tara Meyers' You Can Lead a Horse to Murder is a laugh out loud mystery. While it sounds like a contradiction, it's accurate. Let me explain. There is a murder in the small quiet town of Sanctuary hence the mystery aspect. But between the high jinks of a labradoodle and MC Ember's quick tongue and sass, the seriousness of the book is lightened and actually works quite well toget
Crystal Addis
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cozy mystery that I thoroughly enjoyed! Ember, the main character, returned to Sanctuary after her mom’s passing. She takes over the only veterinary clinic in town, and immediately finds herself busy with business. A dead body is soon discovered after she is called to calm a horse down. Ember suddenly finds herself wrapped up in a murder mystery! Ember begins to uncover secrets and finds that many people had motives for killing Tom, which makes this story super interesting.

This was a
Teresa Kander
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great start for this series. It's set in the small town of Sanctuary, which seems to be a very close-knit place. Ember Burns was born and raised there but hasn't been around for a decade, so people look at her as something of an outsider. Fortunately, she has the support of her Aunt Becky--which she definitely needs when her first call as the town veterinarian lands her in the middle of a murder mystery. Sanctuary has its share of hidden secrets, and Ember discovers that someone wants ...more
Sonya Neal
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ember has come back to Sanctuary by way of a promise and a chance, and she's excited to make a go of it with her own vet clinic. She's not even open for business yet when she gets called to an emergency and is soon embroiled in a murder mystery. But was the murderer a horse or a human?

Soon Ember is plagued with problems, with attacks on her, her clinic and the town. And someone is doing their best to smear her name and drive her out of town. Who can she trust? Since Ember hasn't lived in Sanctua
Shelly
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cozy mystery gives you a comforting feeling without all of the heart-racing madness; however, it keeps you questioning if you're correctly putting the pieces together. Ember returns to her hometown to begin a veterinarian clinic after her mother's passing and finds herself caring for a horse. But the horse isn't ordinary. It's the prime suspect in a crime. Ember isn't so sure that the horse is really the culprit after secrets of Sanctuary begin falling in her lap. I love the relationships that ...more
loopyloulaura
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ooh I haven’t read a murder mystery in ages! This is the first Tara Meyers book I have read so I was excited to try out a new author 🙂
The plot revolves around vet Ember Burns who returns to her hometown following the death of her mother. The previous vet retired after an unfortunate incident so she has her work cut out in regaining confidence in her profession as well as meeting new people and making friends.
Ember is asked to calm a frantic horse and discovers a body in the stable with him: Was
Krystyna
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tenacity is her greatest gift

Stunning. What a wonderful plot! It will have you jumping to all kinds of conclusions but probably not the right one as it hit me from out of the blue. She had come home for her mother's funeral and had stayed. Now she was in the process of opening up a veterinary practice. Her first call out has her find a dead body and a distressed horse. Was it simply accidental death, a death caused by the horse's distress or was it something more sinister? Can she unravel the cl
Liliyana Shadowlyn
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Normally cozy mysteries aren't my first choice, but after reading the description I just *had* to check out this book. I'm so glad I did! I grew up in a small country town and Meyers captures the feel perfectly. If you love mysteries, you'll love this story of small-town intrigue and murder with a fiery veterinarian leading the charge to find justice. You'll fall in love with Ember and the town of Sanctuary as you try to solve this chilling mystery.

Received as a gift, all opinions are voluntary
Tracey
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
* I have volunteered to share my review and all the opinions are 100% my own *

This is the story of Ember Burns who returns back to her home town to open up a veterinary practice and her first emergency callout leads her into a murder mystery.
Did the horse do it or someone else, human maybe. But when Ember is attacked her clinic, someone is out to smear her name and drive her out of town. Secrets best kept hidden start to rise, but Ember needs to find out who the culprit is, if only to clear her
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love a new series. This one has everything I look for in a small town or cozy series.
Ember is a strong female lead, with support from her Aunt Becky, also a feisty, strong woman.
The action starts from the very beginning, before Ember is even able to construct her new desk!
Although she is from Sanctuary, having left home for college and staying away a while, many now consider her to be an outsider. I can relate. Everything she does is harshly judged.
She buys a veterinary practice, believing an
Paula Dyches
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I have read by Tara Meyers but she is now one that I will be watching for. This story has everything I enjoy from a great cozy mystery - suspense, mystery, danger and best of all comedy and a little light romance. She did a wonderful job with the plot and keeping the mystery going with enough twists that it kept me guessing. I also really liked how the narrator portrayed Ember, I felt like she nailed her personality and made the whole story even more entertaining. It's ju ...more
Doris Humber
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time reading the work of this Author. It was an interesting twist for a murder mystery. I like when a mystery keeps me guessing until the very end.

The main character Ember returned to Sanctuary when her Mom passed on, and she decided she would stay to start her very own vet clinic. When a body is discovered, there is a question of whether or not the “out of control” horse had something to do with it. Ember was determined to get to the bottom of it. The town is small and full of
Dorothy Jensik
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great first

I enjoyed this initial story , with more to come. Ember Burns makes a great vet and heroine in her return to Sanctuary after 10 years successfully building a good reputation in a large city. She is out in a difficult situation, trying to overcome smalltown prejudices, and came out on top. I look forward to Tara's next book.
Julie Baswell
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ember grew up in the small town of Sanctuary, but moved away during her college years. After her mother dies suddenly, Ember decides to move back to Sanctuary to start her Veterinary business. But when she is called to calm a horse down, she discovers a dead body. Could the horse have caused the death? It looks that way. Or is there a murderer loose in Sanctuary? Either way, Ember won’t back down until she uncovers the truth.

I liked Ember from the start. I also liked the total mystery package. I
Clare O'Beara
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This lively story follows a newly qualified vet who inherits her mother's home, and buys the old vet practice in the small town she left for college. An early call out is to a seriously distressed horse, which turns out to have a dead body concealed under the straw in its stable.

Amber, the vet, then runs the gauntlet of clients both angry and anxious, doubting police, peevish townsfolks and someone mysteriously causing havoc in her life. She's gifted a rescue labradoodle and asked to ride a hor
Charlotte Lynn
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn’t sure what to expect. Was I picking up a funny book, a murder/mystery, or something all together different? It was a little bit of all that.

The characters were realistic, fun, and enjoyable. I found myself looking forward to finding out where the story was heading and what trouble was going to happen next. Ember Burns has returned to her hometown after losing her mother and is instantly pulled right into the drama of Sanctuary. It seems that every turn she makes, every person she meets,
Tere Fredericks
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love the Sidekick

I read this book as part of my Kindle Unlimited membership. I would like to thank the author for partnering with KU so I have access to her book.

After reading book two of this series, which I really liked, I am here starting late as always.

This is, indeed the book that brings Ember Burns, DMV, and her beloved dog together. I will admit any reference to Game of Throwns makes my teeth hurt, but Star Wars makes me smile.

Ember has returned to her hometown of Sanctuary, WA, origina
Sherry Lynn
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
They had me at the cover. I knew I was going to like this one.
But I didn't! I loved it!
From the beginning Ember Burns captured me and didn't let go!
I loved her character. I loved her strength, devotion and her spirit!

I loved the other main characters too.
Her Aunt Becky who is only a few years older than Ember is bold and strong and doesn't let anyone run rough shod over her or Ember or anyone else she cares about. Aunt Becky even takes on the Mayor when she gets out of hand criticizing Embe
Sue
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-challenge
Ember Burns has just moved back to her hometown of Sanctuary and decides to plant her roots by purchasing a veterinary clinic from a retiring vet. Before she can even open her clinic doors her aunt Becky recruits her to check out an extremely stressed out horse. When Ember arrives, not only is the horse uncharacteristically acting out, but she finds a dead body in the same stable.

All signs point to the horse accidentally killing the man by trampling, but Ember notices something while attending t
Annamarie
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I received this as an ARC for an honest review.

Ember Burns is the new vet in her home town of Sanctuary, she took over the practice from Dr Bernie Chambers who has recently retired and is planning on moving to Florida.

Ember left Sanctuary ten years ago to go to veterinary school to study to become a vet and to get away from the small town and she ended up staying away, but when her mother dies she comes back for the funeral and with a little push from her Aunt Becky she decides to stay.

After pay
Diana
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really love this story about Ember Burns coming back to Sanctuary to start her vet clinic. Well she came back because her mother had passed away, and she decided to stay. It seems Ember has a way with animals, I guess that is why she is a vet. Anyway, there is a murder and it might involve a horse, but Ember wasn’t so sure about that. She wanted to find the right answers.
This book kept me on my toes, I didn’t know who the killer was till the end. I like a good mystery and this one did a reall
Sarah Macklin
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ember Burns has returned to her home town following the death of her mother. She's taken over the only veterinarian centre in the town, and business is booming before she's even officially opened.

Her first case is that of a distressed horse, but everyone quickly becomes distressed when they find the body of the farrier in the horse's stable. At first, the horse is blamed for killing Tom. However, Ember thinks that the test results and Tom's autopsy don't quite add up. As she digs deeper, she beg
Diane Rapp
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Vet must prove the horse didn’t do it.

Just returning to her home town to start a animal hospital, Ember Burns faces a real problem when she's called to treat her first case as a vet, a horse who trampled a man in his stall. She discovers clues that make her doubt the horse is a killer but no one believes her. A series of disasters make Ember wonder if her business will succeed but she's not willing to give up.

This was an interesting animal-centric mystery that kept me interested until the very e
Julia David
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this mystery. Ember came home when her mother died and decided to stay. She bought a vet practice from a retiring vet and is getting her business ready to open. Before opening day, she gets her first patient. She gets a call that a horse is going crazy. While they figure out what is going on, they discover a dead body. Ember tries to leave it to the sheriff, but she keeps noticing things and can't let it go. She has forgotten about the gossip that goes around a small town and th ...more
Karen Farmer
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Looking for Sanctuary?

A great who-done-it! Just the right amount of interesting suspects, as well as a few extras. I devoured this book. It is a perfect Cozy Mystery with characters that are easy to like, and a few that are really easy to be wary of. I enjoyed the first and second guessing of Amber, as well as her slight insecurities about going back home. I have no doubt that I will read more about Veterinarian Amber Burns because I made friends in Sanctuary and must keep up with their shenani
Amanda
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was asked by the author for an honest review.

You Can Lead a Horse to Murder is a light, entertaining read. This is the first book I've read by Tara Meyers and I'm interested in reading more by this author. It's the first book in the series, but it's not obviously a series. There aren't any cliff hangers or couples in line for the next book.

If book ratings were similar to movies, I would rate this book PG. Other than the fact that it deals with murder (so do many Disney movies!), there weren'
« previous 1 3 next »

• Deal Gone Dead (Lily Sprayberry Realtor #1)
  • Apple Die (Apple Orchard Cozy, #1)
  • Pooches, Pumpkins, and Poison (Pooch Party #1)
  • Meddlesome Money (Cozy Corgi Mysteries, #13)
  • Fields' Guide to Abduction (Poppy Fields Adventures #1)
  • Condos and Corpses (Sapphire Beach Cozy Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Beach Blanket Homicide (Whispering Bay Mystery, #1)
  • A Stab in the Dark (Whodunit Antiques #2)
  • Tear Down and Die (Cara Mia Delgatto Mystery, #1)
  • Sweet Revenge (Sweets Shop, #1)
  • Fatal Festival Days (Dog Days Mystery #3)
  • Live and Let Diet (Australian Amateur Sleuth #1)
  • A Flair for Beignets (Sadie Kramer Flair, #3)
  • The Secret Santa Mystery (Highland Horse Whisperer, #0)
  • Christmas Fudge Fatality (Murder in the Mix, #20.5)
  • Last Call (Janet Black Mystery, #1)
  • Mixing Up Murder (Little Dog Diner Book 1)
  • The Maiming of the Shrew: A Pratford-upon-Avon bookshop mystery with amateur sleuth and bookshop owner, Beatrice Hathaway (Pratford-upon-Avon bookshop mysteries Book 1)
Tara Meyers resides in the beautiful state of Washington. When she isn’t writing, she’s out hiking in the rugged Cascade Mountains, or enjoying life with her two amazing kids and several dogs!

Secrets of Sanctuary Cozy Mysteries (3 books)
  • Man's Best Alibi (Secrets of Sanctuary Cozy Mysteries Book 2)
  • Cat's Got Your Arsenic (Secrets of Sanctuary Cozy Mysteries, #3)

News & Interviews