Jump to ratings and reviews

Travel Diaries of the Dead and Delusional

Tupper’s chasing a ghost and Langley can’t get away from hers.

Nineteen-year-old Langley is crazy, like get the straight jacket and ready the padded room kind of crazy, and she wants to stay that way. She clings to the persistent and intrusive hallucination of her dead sister Sarah despite craving a real life, in the real world.

She just can’t let go.

Tupper’s life is charmed. He has loving adopted parents and several athletic college scholarship offers. Preferring art to speech, his heart is stuck on the beauty and simplicity of solid ink lines on paper. His illustrations are eerily similar to his only keepsake from his birth mother, Anna: comic book style drawings scrawled across an old map in the form of a travel diary.

At eighteen, Tupper sidesteps his planned future and follows this map from Kansas City to Canada, starting his journey where Anna’s ended.

When Tupper sees Langley tearing down a dirt road as she escapes from her latest institution, he offers her a ride. They build on an instant connection and with acceptance and offbeat humor, deepen their bond. But secrets push between them: Sarah and Anna, two ghosts who could sink their icy fingers into the two teenagers and tear them apart.

320 pages, Paperback

First published February 18, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lauren Nicolle Taylor

19 books460 followers
Lauren Nicolle Taylor is the bestselling author of THE WOODLANDS SERIES and the award-winning YA novel NORA & KETTLE (Gold medal Winner for Multicultural fiction, Independent Publishers Book Awards 2017), which is the first book in the acclaimed PAPER STARS SERIES.

She has a Health Science degree and an honors degree in Obstetrics and Gynecology.

A full time writer and artist, Lauren recently moved to Canada with her husband and three children for a new adventure. She recently signed a three book deal for her YA fantasy series and can't wait to share it with you.

​She is a proud hapa and draws on her multicultural background in all of her novels.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
1 (6%)
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews
Profile Image for Emily Shore.
Author 21 books256 followers
February 12, 2018
Holy fudge! So, I am a BIG HUGE FAN and author bestie of Lauren's. Nora and Kettle will always be my favorite work of hers, but Langley from D&D holds the award for my favorite Taylor character. Langley and Tupper go on this incredible journey together! Let's not negate the fact that Taylor pumps this book RIGHT out of the SHOOT with Langley trying to escape from the insane asylum. Langley is EXACTLY the kind of girl you want to root for because she's crazy but not harmful and her craziness is what makes her unique and beautiful and Tupper sees this from the beginning.

Tupper is equally compelling. I will never forget the "jaws of Life" quote and how it would take one of those to pry one sentence from him, I mean WOW! He is so developed and irresistible to read. Lauren knows her male characters, y'all! One of the few authors I know who can write from the POV of a GUY so flawlessly! I honestly can't choose who I love more: Kettle or Tupper. But Langley gets first place.

The travel diary bits with details of Tupper's drawings, all the quirks (and there are LOTS of quirks), tender moments, bittersweet moments as Tupper and Langley deal with all their collective shit (yes, let's call it what it is), hilarious moments because it's seriously IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO LOVE LANGLEY, and more.

A MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST - get the idea? - MUST READ!
Profile Image for Bel.
4 reviews2 followers
July 30, 2018
Loved this book. The characters are so full and beautiful. You can’t help but love Langley. She has such spirit and life to her. The adventures she and Tupper go on should not be missed. Read this book! 💜
November 30, 2019
I could not put this book down! I love the the characters so much! Wish there was more. I miss Langley and Tupper❤️
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.