Start by marking “Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)

Mark of the Raven

(The Ravenwood Saga #1)

Lady Selene is the heir to the Great House of Ravenwood and the secret family gift of dreamwalking. As a dreamwalker, she can enter a person's dreams and manipulate their greatest fears or desires. For the last hundred years, the Ravenwood women have used their gift of dreaming for hire to gather information or to assassinate.

As she discovers her family's dark secret, Sele
Published November 6th 2018 by Bethany House Publishers (first published November 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Mark of the Raven, please sign up.
Asteropê Because it is. It is published by "Bethany House Publishers," one of the best known and largest Christian fiction publishers.

"Bethany House has been…more

"Bethany House has been publishing high quality books for over 50 years. Recognized as the pioneer and leader in Christian fiction, we publish over 75 new fiction and nonfiction titles annually in subjects including historical and contemporary fiction, Christian living, devotional, family resources, and theology. Our titles are frequently found on Christian bestseller lists."

This author's books have won Christy awards as well.
"The Christy Awards are awarded each year to recognize novels of excellence written from a Christian worldview. Awards are given in several genres, including contemporary (stand-alone novels and series), historical, romance (contemporary and historical), suspense, and visionary. In addition, an award is given for first novel and young adult."

So while the book might not be obvious with the faith elements, it is written by a Christian author, published by a Christian publisher and therefore acceptable for those wanting to read inspirational/clean fiction that does not offend their faith. (less)

Serethiel ☽ ✨
5 stars

// m a r k . o f . t h e . r a v e n

AAAAAAH. DUDE. Okay. I'm cool, I'm cool.

THIS. WAS. FANTASTIC. Mark of the Raven is such a pure, heartfilled, action-oriented story. AND I LOVED IT.

This falls into the same vein as Anne Elisabeth Stengl's Heartless and Sarah J. Maas's Throne of Glass (the latter of which I've never read, but girl assassins, tho). It's a story of hurt, sin, regret... and it's perhaps one of the most powerful redemption tales I've ever read.

There were a few small writing q
Shantelle
Fantasy readers, be of good cheer! Another phenomenal fantasy novel has hit the Christian fiction market! Mark of the Raven by Morgan L. Busse was an engrossing read that kept me turning pages. I've been captured by this world and these characters, and am dying to see how this intriguing story continues! Book Two in THE RAVENWOOD SAGA can't come soon enough.

Morgan L. Busse does an exceptional job with world-building in this new series of hers. I was fascinated by all the different Houses and the
Elizabeth Dragina
May 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
Guess who got this book in the mail today?? 💕

Uh huh. You're look'n at her. 💥

I'm so in love with that COVER, FYI. 😍
Emily
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So, when is the next book going to be published? This one wasn’t exactly a cliffhanger, but it definitely left me longing to read #2!
Bryn
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books
Some books are amazing, others spellbinding and just a rare few are perfect.

Mark of the Raven is all those things and more.

In a fast paced plot, Busse tells a story of gifted nobles houses, treacherous plots, family secrets and murders at midnight.

I love dual POVs and Selene and Damien became instant favorites (I mean, it takes talent to make me cheer and ship a twosome who might become a onesome if one party follows through with their mission off RIPing the other).

But there's something else
Addy S.
I am struggling for words right now. I'm serious. This book was F I R E. In all of its burning brilliance.

Content:
-Language: n/a
-Romance: a male and female seemed to be 'drawn' to each other and couldn't stop thinking about each other, but this was not in a romantic way. You'll see when you read it. ;)
-Violence: please use caution if you are a sensitive reader. This book features something called 'dreamkilling'. A dreamwalker enters someone's dream and *clears throat* kills them. While this is
E.F.B.
I had seen Morgan L. Busse’s books around for several years but had not yet gotten around to trying to read one, partially because it sounded like her style might lean toward being a little darker than what I normally gravitate towards. I decided I might give “Mark of the Raven” a chance when I entered a giveaway for it last year while following a “Christian Fiction Scavenger Hunt” that happens across several author’s blogs every year. The synopsis (which, at the time, I glanced at more briefly ...more
R.F. Gammon
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
As I mentioned in my updates: This felt very, very much like Strange the Dreamer! However, I felt that Strange was better executed. As a result of that, and the fact that I had a few quibbles and inconveniences, I'm docking a star from this one.

However! the plot was twisty and turny, the story did things I was NOT expecting, and the characters, while nothing particularly unique, still grew in very enjoyable ways to watch. The ending knocked my socks off, and I can't WAIT for book 2!
Nicki Chapelway
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*

A little slow for the first half, but the description was beautiful and the world immersive.

And that ending...

Well...

Oh my.
Laura A. Grace
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/4 stars

Wow! What a compelling ending!

I have to admit that I thought the beginning was rather slow and just couldn’t seem to get hooked. *hides* I’m not sure if it’s because I was fairly sick when I started or not, but I also found some repetitive places that I began to found irksome.

However, regardless of how I felt in the beginning and my unsureness if I would come to really like Selene, the dream walking was a unique reading experience. I haven’t read anything about dreamwalking and was v
Deborah O'Carroll
Aaah, that was so cool! Now where’s the next book?

I love a good epic fantasy and this one was awesome! The world was so rich and the characters were fantastic. The plot was a slow-burn kind of one, full of mystery and politics but enough spice of danger and adventure to keep you on the edge of your seat—the rest of it did that actually as well!

I love anything involving dreams in fiction so I was really excited to try this one. Like Inception in a fantasy world. :P The Dreamwalking was a cool asp
H.S.J. Williams
Loved it as much as I hoped I would! The plot was great, the characters compelling, and the worldbuilding pretty easy to follow. I can't wait for the next book!

Okay, so don't read the next bit if you haven't read the book.

(view spoiler)
Tricia Mingerink
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! Of course, I knew it would be since I've adored every single novel this author has ever written!

This one started off slow. But the sort of slow where the plot and worldbuilding are unfolding like a flower, one petal at a time. Just at the moment when I wasn't sure where this was going, stuff started happening, deceptions upon deceptions and betrayals and plots and planned assassinations, and everything just got tense and crazy.

The worldbuilding is well done. Each of the H
Emileigh Latham
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After just finishing this incredible book, here are the reasons why you must read Mark of the Raven:

1. Assassins

Who doesn't like a good assassins story? Darkly clad individuals quietly moving through the shadows to do stabby things. YES!

Well get this.

Selene has inherited the family ability to enter people's dreams and kill them, making people believe they die in their sleep. 😱 WHAT?! Such a dark and twisted way to kill someone. Dreams are supposed to be about ancient libraries filled with books
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
Fun fact, I actually got to meet Morgan at the Christy Awards. She is the sweetest soul, and she's a blast to talk to!

Anywho. On to what you're actually here for...the review. 😉

The first book in a fantasy series is normally really focused on WORLD BUILDING.
This book was no exception. From the first page until about the last hundred pages was a lot of world building. The author works to draw you into this world of dream assassins and evil plots, with an imagination like that OF COURSE it's going
Ralene Burke
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
In Morgan Busse's latest fantasy novel, she explores the life of a woman, a dreamwalker, as she learns about her new gifts and it's purpose in a world that is on the brink of war, both internally and from the outside. Filled with political intrigue, subterfuge, and betrayal, this tale drags the reader along for a unique experience.

Although there were some spots throughout the book that were a little slow for my tastes, the story continued to pick up the pace, and by the end I was on the edge of
Jaime Jo Wright
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ridiculously delicious! I’m not a regular reader of this particular genre but am eagerly anticipating the sequel. Highly HIGHLY recommend!
Phillip Cole
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Selene is heir to her family's gift of dreamwalking, and is being trained by her mother to learn all the skills, including killing. But there is something that tugs at Selene, and she wonders if the glory her mother seeks is really her destiny. After walking in Lord Damien's dreams, she finds out that there may be something better.

Mark of the Raven is a great story in several ways. First, the characters are well developed and relatable. Morgan L. Busse did a good job in explaining the personalit
Lauren
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AHHHH!!!! All I'm going to say is, I am sooo glad I only have to wait 13 days until book 2 comes out.
Rebecca
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it

"There were no choices . . . . . . . her future was dark and bleak."

As heir apparent to the House of Ravenwood, Selene has just been gifted; she's now a dreamwalker, and according to her mother, a surprisingly powerful one. Curious about an ability that the other six regions of her kingdom thought was destroyed, she listens as Grand Lady Ragna describes the seriousness of honing her skills, for she is to be the savior of her people by . . . . . . . . . . controlling the dreams of other
Kav
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whoa! I'm not quite sure how to write a review for this one! A bit of a departure from my usual reading material because, though I love fantasy, I'm rather picky about which books I choose. A speculative fiction story either grabs me or it doesn't and I'm not sure I can even tell you what the yay or nay factors are but I can tell you that Mark of the Raven not only grabbed me, it swallowed me whole and refused to regurgitate me until the very end...which is more of a beginning, really. Agh! Ther ...more
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
Boy am I glad I got the opportunity to read this book! I do enjoy fantasy novels every now and then - I really have to be in the mood for them. And while I may not have totally been in the mood when I started this one, it did not take long for that to change. If this is how Busse writes all of her stories, then I need to read them. All of them!

The beginning of the book may have been a tad slow for me, but it's necessary to understand all the characters, the background of the world you're readin
Hannah
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wish the second book was out. I finished it before I went to bed, and let's just say my mind was all abuzz when I was trying to fall asleep. I had a lot of weird dreams which I'm pretty sure was all the book's fault. ;)
A few themes really stood out to me. Selene often asked why and sought to find the reasons behind what was expected of her. She didn't spimply accept her destiny, but examined the motivations behind it.
I loved the light battling the dark throughout the book and I look forward
Katelyn Bolds
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Morgan Busse weaves a dark story about the heir to the House of Ravenwood who has just learned her family's secret; her mother and the Ravenwood women before her use their gift of dreamwalking to gather information and assassinate their enemies. Now Lady Selene is stuck in a web of political intrigue, lies and betrayal while the Seven Houses ready for war with the Domina Empire.

Another reviewer mentioned that it reminded her of Game of Thrones and Assassin's Creed, which I agree with completely
Hannah
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Lilian
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Wow. This was a wild ride. o.O

I really, really enjoyed Mark of the Raven. It's a perfect light fantasy read with some really interesting superpower elements in it, like dreamwalking (a dreamwalker can enter a person's dreams and manipulate their greatest fears or desires) and water controlling. The worldbuilding is fantastic- you have multiple "Houses" that gather together for a meeting, and each House has a distinct personality.

I also loved how Morgan wrote the characters' personalities- she r
Caitlyn Santi

5 Stars!
I'm not a big fantasy reader, but the description of this one sounded so intriguing that I just had to try it! I loved this book, it was such a great read! I immediately liked the main character, Selene, and immensely enjoyed this first part of her journey from the darkness to the Light! I loved the author's writing style, and I loved that the pace of the novel was a bit on the faster side, I love stories that have a faster pace and that I don't want to put down, Mark of the Raven was de
Heather Gilbert
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
I was able to read this one during an ice storm, and what a fantastic read it was! I was really impressed by this and I know it’ll be something I will recommend to lots of readers of all ages. The worldbuilding was excellent, but the plotline surprised me (hard to do for a mystery author!). I enjoyed that there wasn’t an over-emphasis on romance and that it dealt more with ethical dilemmas relating to Serena’s gift. I can’t wait to get to know the well-developed characters even more in book 2! H ...more
Kara
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: got-review-copy

I love a good book cover and when the cover matches the story perfectly, I am one satisfied reader. Mark of the Raven starts out really creepy, Selene is in a dark church next to her mom and sister with their people going through a ritual and that kind of sets the tone of the story for half of the book although thank goodness there are no more scenes like that one.

There is also one part where it is implied that two women are raped after a caravan of unarmed people are attacked. Nothing
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Dragonwitch (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #5)
  • Broken (ShadowLight Saga, #2)
  • The End of All Things (The Kinsman Chronicles, #1c)
  • Caprion's Wings (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Conquering Fate (Order of the Krigers, #3)
  • Mardan's Mark (Mardan's Mark, #1)
  • Windswept : The Hightower Trilogy, #2
  • The Reluctant Godfather (The Tales of Ambia, #1)
  • The Saints of the Sword (Tyrants and Kings, #3)
  • Prophet (Books of the Infinite, #1)
  • Embers (Abiassa's Fire, #1)
  • Tales of Troy and Greece
  • Two Renegade Realms (Realm Walkers, #2)
  • Anomaly of Blaze (The Fireblade Array, #3)
  • Of the Persecuted (Legends of the Woodlands, #1)
Morgan L. Busse is a writer by day and a mother by night. She is the author of the Follower of the Word series and the award-winning steampunk series, The Soul Chronicles. Her debut novel, Daughter of Light, was a Christy and Carol Award finalist. During her spare time she enjoys playing games, taking long walks, and dreaming about her next novel.

The Ravenwood Saga (3 books)
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • Cry of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #3)