Start by marking “Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)

Mark of the Raven

(The Ravenwood Saga #1)

Lady Selene is the heir to the Great House of Ravenwood and the secret family gift of dreamwalking. As a dreamwalker, she can enter a person's dreams and manipulate their greatest fears or desires. For the last hundred years, the Ravenwood women have used their gift of dreaming for hire to gather information or to assassinate.

As she discovers her family's dark secret, Sele
Published November 6th 2018 by Bethany House Publishers (first published November 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Mark of the Raven, please sign up.
Ursula Weissfeld There is some hint at romance, but it is not in the forefront of the book.
Asteropê Because it is. It is published by "Bethany House Publishers," one of the best known and largest Christian fiction publishers.

"Bethany House has been …more

"Bethany House has been publishing high quality books for over 50 years. Recognized as the pioneer and leader in Christian fiction, we publish over 75 new fiction and nonfiction titles annually in subjects including historical and contemporary fiction, Christian living, devotional, family resources, and theology. Our titles are frequently found on Christian bestseller lists."

This author's books have won Christy awards as well.
"The Christy Awards are awarded each year to recognize novels of excellence written from a Christian worldview. Awards are given in several genres, including contemporary (stand-alone novels and series), historical, romance (contemporary and historical), suspense, and visionary. In addition, an award is given for first novel and young adult."

So while the book might not be obvious with the faith elements, it is written by a Christian author, published by a Christian publisher and therefore acceptable for those wanting to read inspirational/clean fiction that does not offend their faith. (less)

Start your review of Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)
Shantelle
Fantasy readers, be of good cheer! Another phenomenal fantasy novel has hit the Christian fiction market! Mark of the Raven by Morgan L. Busse was an engrossing read that kept me turning pages. I've been captured by this world and these characters, and am dying to see how this intriguing story continues! Book Two in THE RAVENWOOD SAGA can't come soon enough.

Morgan L. Busse does an exceptional job with world-building in this new series of hers. I was fascinated by all the different Houses and the
Nicki Chapelway
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*

A little slow for the first half, but the description was beautiful and the world immersive.

And that ending...

Well...

Oh my.
Addy S.
I am struggling for words right now. I'm serious. This book was F I R E. In all of its burning brilliance.

Content:
-Language: n/a
-Romance: a male and female seemed to be 'drawn' to each other and couldn't stop thinking about each other, but this was not in a romantic way. You'll see when you read it. ;)
-Violence: please use caution if you are a sensitive reader. This book features something called 'dreamkilling'. A dreamwalker enters someone's dream and *clears throat* kills them. While this is
R.F. Gammon
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
As I mentioned in my updates: This felt very, very much like Strange the Dreamer! However, I felt that Strange was better executed. As a result of that, and the fact that I had a few quibbles and inconveniences, I'm docking a star from this one.

However! the plot was twisty and turny, the story did things I was NOT expecting, and the characters, while nothing particularly unique, still grew in very enjoyable ways to watch. The ending knocked my socks off, and I can't WAIT for book 2!
Bryn
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books
Some books are amazing, others spellbinding and just a rare few are perfect.

Mark of the Raven is all those things and more.

In a fast paced plot, Busse tells a story of gifted nobles houses, treacherous plots, family secrets and murders at midnight.

I love dual POVs and Selene and Damien became instant favorites (I mean, it takes talent to make me cheer and ship a twosome who might become a onesome if one party follows through with their mission off RIPing the other).

But there's something else
H.S.J. Williams
Loved it as much as I hoped I would! The plot was great, the characters compelling, and the worldbuilding pretty easy to follow. I can't wait for the next book!

Okay, so don't read the next bit if you haven't read the book.

(view spoiler)
Emily
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So, when is the next book going to be published? This one wasn’t exactly a cliffhanger, but it definitely left me longing to read #2!
E.F.B.
I had seen Morgan L. Busse’s books around for several years but had not yet gotten around to trying to read one, partially because it sounded like her style might lean toward being a little darker than what I normally gravitate towards. I decided I might give “Mark of the Raven” a chance when I entered a giveaway for it last year while following a “Christian Fiction Scavenger Hunt” that happens across several author’s blogs every year. The synopsis (which, at the time, I glanced at more briefly ...more
Deborah O'Carroll
Aaah, that was so cool! Now where’s the next book?

I love a good epic fantasy and this one was awesome! The world was so rich and the characters were fantastic. The plot was a slow-burn kind of one, full of mystery and politics but enough spice of danger and adventure to keep you on the edge of your seat—the rest of it did that actually as well!

I love anything involving dreams in fiction so I was really excited to try this one. Like Inception in a fantasy world. :P The Dreamwalking was a cool asp
Emileigh Latham
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After just finishing this incredible book, here are the reasons why you must read Mark of the Raven:

1. Assassins

Who doesn't like a good assassins story? Darkly clad individuals quietly moving through the shadows to do stabby things. YES!

Well get this.

Selene has inherited the family ability to enter people's dreams and kill them, making people believe they die in their sleep. 😱 WHAT?! Such a dark and twisted way to kill someone. Dreams are supposed to be about ancient libraries filled with books
m a r y l i z
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
(First of all - YES I AM ALIVE. Second of all - YES THIS IS ONLY THE SECOND BOOK IN TWO MONTHS THAT I HAVE READ. *cries softly*)

I was hoping to enjoy this book, but however gorgeous the cover, the story inside it failed to deliver.

I am but a weary college student with lots of homework calling my name, so here goes a rapid-fire review:

L I K E S:

- Okay, let's talk about the cOVER again because it's a work of art.
- The Seven Houses! Such epic fantasy vibes!
- Damien + Selene?? I didn't hate them as
Tricia Mingerink
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! Of course, I knew it would be since I've adored every single novel this author has ever written!

This one started off slow. But the sort of slow where the plot and worldbuilding are unfolding like a flower, one petal at a time. Just at the moment when I wasn't sure where this was going, stuff started happening, deceptions upon deceptions and betrayals and plots and planned assassinations, and everything just got tense and crazy.

The worldbuilding is well done. Each of the H
Laura A. Grace
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/4 stars

Wow! What a compelling ending!

I have to admit that I thought the beginning was rather slow and just couldn’t seem to get hooked. *hides* I’m not sure if it’s because I was fairly sick when I started or not, but I also found some repetitive places that I began to found irksome.

However, regardless of how I felt in the beginning and my unsureness if I would come to really like Selene, the dream walking was a unique reading experience. I haven’t read anything about dreamwalking and was v
Jenna
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
OH MY WORD.
This book is so gripping and chilling and unique. I like Busse’s writing style and the way she’s crafted these main characters. Definitely cannot wait to read book two!
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
Fun fact, I actually got to meet Morgan at the Christy Awards. She is the sweetest soul, and she's a blast to talk to!

Anywho. On to what you're actually here for...the review. 😉

The first book in a fantasy series is normally really focused on WORLD BUILDING.
This book was no exception. From the first page until about the last hundred pages was a lot of world building. The author works to draw you into this world of dream assassins and evil plots, with an imagination like that OF COURSE it's going
Tracey Dyck
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've heard many good things about Mark of the Raven from my friends, so I'm happy to report that I really, really enjoyed it too! It started out a little slow, but definitely picked up in pace and intrigue, and now I can't wait to read book 2!

WHAT I LOVED
-DAMIEN IS MY FAVORITE. He's a gentle soul with a strong heart for his people and a good head on his shoulders. Plus, as Grand Lord of House Maris, he has water powers. One of my favorite Damien scenes was the one depicting his daily prayers on
Ralene Burke
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
In Morgan Busse's latest fantasy novel, she explores the life of a woman, a dreamwalker, as she learns about her new gifts and it's purpose in a world that is on the brink of war, both internally and from the outside. Filled with political intrigue, subterfuge, and betrayal, this tale drags the reader along for a unique experience.

Although there were some spots throughout the book that were a little slow for my tastes, the story continued to pick up the pace, and by the end I was on the edge of
Le'Kiss
Dec 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I have marked this book as DNF

"Mark of the Raven" by Morgan L. Busse sounds like an amazing book and it might be, but I will not be continuing it.

I'm sorry but I WILL NOT read about false worship. I refuse to. I'm deeply saddened to say this but I will not be reading this book or anything else by this author. I had such high hopes for "Mark of the Raven" but really, I can't do this.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I was not trying to I am merely being honest and stating my opinion.
Jane
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had such high hopes for this book, and it absolutely met every single one! A definite new favourite read that I'll be recommending to many.

I fell in love with the characters instantly. Lady Selene's journey in this book is so heartbreaking and realistic. I often don't connect to female leads very well, but that was absolutely not the case with Selene. I rooted for her right from the start. All the characters were so well crafted and I just couldn't help but fall for them all. (Particularly Dam
Jaime Jo Wright
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ridiculously delicious! I’m not a regular reader of this particular genre but am eagerly anticipating the sequel. Highly HIGHLY recommend!
Hallie Szott
Yes! Mark of the Raven, the start of a new fantasy series from Morgan L. Busse, is a pure delight to read. I absolutely loved it and highly recommend it to readers of the genre.

In a richly built world full of political darkness and intrigue, Lady Selene begins learning to use her family’s secret gift. By entering dreams, she gains insight into secrets and fears, as well as the power to manipulate and control.

The more Selene learns, the more disheartened she becomes with the truth of her family.
Gray Cox
I wish this book had been out when I was twelve because I was going through my fantasy loving stage back then and this book would have been a favorite along with The Warrior of the Son series by Samuel Schiller.

This book is so raw, even though it's fantasy it doesn't hold back from bringing up so many great questions about humanity and how we may be misusing the skills we have been given.

Full review is up here: https://graymariewrites.blogspot.com/...
Lauren
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AHHHH!!!! All I'm going to say is, I am sooo glad I only have to wait 13 days until book 2 comes out.
Celestria
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ahhhh, this book was amazing! I can't wait to read the next one!
Lauren Stoolfire
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm so glad I just happened to stumble upon this fantasy series opener on Libby because that was a real gem. I can't wait to see where this series will go.
R.J. Rodda
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked this so much I immediately bought the second book. This had an intriguing premise, a vivid internal struggle, a unique world, a great twist at the end and was ultimately elevating. And I’m smiling right now because I enjoyed it so much.
Phillip Cole
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Selene is heir to her family's gift of dreamwalking, and is being trained by her mother to learn all the skills, including killing. But there is something that tugs at Selene, and she wonders if the glory her mother seeks is really her destiny. After walking in Lord Damien's dreams, she finds out that there may be something better.

Mark of the Raven is a great story in several ways. First, the characters are well developed and relatable. Morgan L. Busse did a good job in explaining the personalit
Kailey
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very good! This storyline is so unique! I can’t wait to read the next book!
Ariel Masters
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!

I absolutely adored this book! It held my attention, and I loved the characters. I also enjoyed the Christian aspects.

And honestly, it's 1a.m., and my brain is hardly functioning enough to write a decent review😂 But it shows how much fun I had reading😍😊
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Fantasy, Magic 3 52 Jul 21, 2019 05:29PM

• Sisters Matsumoto
  • Easy Prey
  • Secret Soldiers: How the U.S. Twenty-Third Special Troops Fooled the Nazis
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • The Story Raider (The Weaver Trilogy, #2)
  • Like No Other
  • Into White
  • The Story Hunter (The Weaver Trilogy, #3)
  • Brand of Light (The Droseran Saga #1)
  • The Brontë Plot
  • A Time to Speak (Out of Time, #2)
  • Disappeared (Disappeared, #1)
  • A Time to Rise (Out of Time, #3)
  • Fairest Son
  • Dare (The Blades of Acktar, #1)
  • A Time to Die (Out of Time, #1)
  • The King's Scrolls (Ilyon Chronicles, #2)
  • In Search Of Us
Morgan L. Busse is a writer by day and a mother by night. She is the author of the Follower of the Word series and the award-winning steampunk series, The Soul Chronicles. Her debut novel, Daughter of Light, was a Christy and Carol Award finalist. During her spare time she enjoys playing games, taking long walks, and dreaming about her next novel.

The Ravenwood Saga (3 books)
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • Cry of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #3)

News & Interviews

“Damien tuned out Lady Ragna’s greeting to House Rafel and studied her daughters again.” 0 likes
“Our gift came from the Light. And so we give thanks for our gift, always remembering that we were given this power not to lord over our people, but to serve and protect them.” 0 likes