Start by marking “Nineteen Minutes” as Want to Read:
Nineteen Minutes

Nineteen Minutes

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  259,468 Ratings  ·  14,210 Reviews
In nineteen minutes, you can mow the front lawn, color your hair, watch a third of a hockey game. In nineteen minutes, you can bake scones or get a tooth filled by a dentist; you can fold laundry for a family of five....In nineteen minutes, you can stop the world, or you can just jump off it. In nineteen minutes, you can get revenge.

Sterling is a small, ordinary New Hamps
Published January 1st 2008 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published March 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Nineteen Minutes, please sign up.

Bruce Snell As a 65 year old grandfather, I read books that have interesting characters, compelling stories, and situations I can care about, all wrapped up in a…moreAs a 65 year old grandfather, I read books that have interesting characters, compelling stories, and situations I can care about, all wrapped up in a storytelling style that keeps me turning pages. So far every one of Ms Picoult's books fits that description. In general I don't understand the idea of "women's lit" or "men's lit" - it is either good storytelling or it is not.(less)
Casey I really enjoyed "Finding Jake" by Bryon Readon. I didn't really like the back and forth between the young Jake and the present, but it was an…moreI really enjoyed "Finding Jake" by Bryon Readon. I didn't really like the back and forth between the young Jake and the present, but it was an interesting take on school shootings and I think it could fit in well with your curriculum.
I will also add, "Out of My Mind" by Sharon Draper. Not at all about a school shooting, but definitely about diversity, fitting in/not fitting in. Not sure what theme you are going with, but this was so well done, I think it would be a great assett to any program.
Then there is the "wonder" book, which I think is detestable, but I if you use it to "teach" I guess it can be useful. I abhor the fact that the book allows the main character to feel victimized and blames everyone else for his problems. The whole family in that book should not exist in my opinion, it's one of the things wrong with the world-blaming others and assuming they are thinking the worst of you instead of being proactive and letting people kmow what you are really like.
Monument 14 by Emmy Laborne. A "disaster" with the school bus. I forget what, not a school shooting, but still an "emergency situation". Much sexual innuendo so not really the best for a school curriculum.
And then we get to Divergent. Not a school shooting either. I guess I am going more for books about acceptance/nonacceptance. Anyway, action packed, finidng one's true self, accomplishing goals, etc. Good for the teen audience. (less)

Kate
Jan 02, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sammy
May 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-the-best
This book is a hard book to put down because the entire time you're seeking answers. Why? What actually happened? What made it progress to this? Things like that. Things that people asked after Columbine, most recently after Virginia Tech, and after all the other school shootings. Once again Jodi Picoult tackles a sensitive and controversial issue, in an amazingly strong and dignified manner that doesn't have you choosing sides.

She did it to the reader in My Sister's Keeper, where the minute you
Lara
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Believe it or not, I have never actually read one of Jodi Piccoult's books before. I'm not really sure why, but I haven't.

This particular book has really stayed with me as I finished it, and I think Piccoult makes a few very important points/observations.

1. Sometimes the perpetrator of a heinous crime is the biggest victim of them all. Reading the things that Peter went through sometimes brought me to tears. I have never understood how people can treat others so badly, and the behavior of the b
Madeline
Jul 03, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-judgements, ugh
When I read this book a few years ago, I had already gotten through four other Jodi Picoult - My Sister's Keeper, The Tenth Circle, Vanishing Acts, and The Plain Truth, in case anyone cares. I feel that we had a good relationship. Sure, after the first exciting fling things got predictable pretty fast ("gee, I wonder if this one will have dramatic courtroom scenes?"), but Jodi was still able to keep me hooked. Then I read Nineteen Minutes, and decided it was time to call it off.
One big problem
Saleh MoonWalker
Onvan : Nineteen Minutes - Nevisande : Jodi Picoult - ISBN : 743496728 - ISBN13 : 9780743496728 - Dar 440 Safhe - Saal e Chap : 2007
XxTainaxX
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a powerful read. After an act of violence is perpetuated at the local high school, those 19 minutes change a New Hampshire town forever. The writing is riveting and poignant. We are reading about the events leading up to the climax. The history of the individuals involved. Their mindset. It's a lot to take in. Especially because the good aren't all good and the bad aren't all bad. I think as readers, it puts us in a unique and introspective position as we are not shown only the parts tha ...more
Kwesi 章英狮
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, jodi-picoult, 2011
I can't stop loving this book, if you guys only have the chance to read this. Sometimes I find her works destructing, annoying and a good sleeping pill for those people who suffer from insomnia. I might be too judgmental but swear, you can take my words after reading her earlier works. This time Picoult wanted to portray a community, a school, where innocent students were bullied by the jocks. The reality of a typical American school environment for students who suffer to stand out in the crowd ...more
Annalisa
Feb 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annalisa by: McKay Robinson
I tend to rate books by how much they make me think, how much they make me feel, and how much they draw me into their world. With an almost obsessive interest in Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, Nineteen Minutes gets high marks from me. The book starts with the scene of a school shooting where you feel a disgust for the kid doing the shooting and sorrow for the victims but as you glean settings from flashbacks you come to sympathize with everyone in the book as a victim, each experiencing loss of ...more
Windy
Jun 09, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
This is what I have come to understand about Jodi Picoult. She takes a controversial or emotionally-charged topic. School shootings. Childhood leukemia. Amish people. Then she centers that topic around terribly cliched characters and cranks the schmaltz meter to 11. The novels alternate between characters' points of view so quickly that Picoult rivals most TV news stations in offering endless shallow ten-second bits of information. Each little section, offered at a rate that would overwhelm even ...more
Bill
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The only other Picoult book I read was My Sister's Keeper, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Nineteen Minutes is a favorite among most people, so I had this one slated to read whenever I wanted a quick summer read.

For the last 100 or so pages, I could hardly put it down. Her formula for keeping the reader engaged works very well.
But I had some issues with this book that annoyed the hell out of me. Firstly, I have never come across so many stupid and needless analogies. Or are they similes? Whatever.
Peter's Death 29 712 Nov 28, 2017 12:27AM
Brand Names 5 21 Aug 18, 2017 08:03PM
Something that bothered me ..... 4 51 Jul 18, 2017 05:37AM
What happens to Peter and Josie? 2 46 May 20, 2017 11:08PM
  • Home Again
  • Secrets She Left Behind (Before the Storm #2)
  • Look Again
  • Cage of Stars
  • These Things Hidden
  • Blessings
  • Testimony
  • True to Form (Katie Nash, #3)
  • Fly Away Home
  • Eye Contact
  • The Secret Between Us
  • The Rescue
Jodi Picoult is the author of twenty-three novels, including the #1 New York Times bestsellers Leaving Time, The Storyteller, Lone Wolf, Between the Lines, Sing You Home, House Rules, Handle with Care, Change of Heart, Nineteen Minutes, and My Sister’s Keeper. She lives in New Hampshire with her husband and three children.

Her new novel, SMALL GREAT THINGS, is available in hardcover, ebook, and aud
More about Jodi Picoult...
“If you gave someone your heart and they died, did they take it with them? Did you spend the rest of forever with a hole inside you that couldn't be filled?” 4087 likes
“You don't need water to feel like you're drowning, do you?” 1850 likes