Start by marking “Fox and Birch (The Rowan Harbor Cycle, #3)” as Want to Read:
Fox and Birch (The Rowan Harbor Cycle, #3)

Fox and Birch

(The Rowan Harbor Cycle #3)

Fletcher Lane wants to protect people. It was why he became a deputy. A month ago, it was why he killed a vampire who kidnapped one of his friends. Now, that death has started a cascade effect that’s tearing his life apart, leaving him possessed by magic that whispers to him in ancient Gothic.

While he’s already fighting for control of his own mind, he has to hold it togeth
Published March 8th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Fox and Birch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fox and Birch

Twisted and Tied by Mary CalmesA Wish Upon the Stars by T.J. KluneRobbie by Ella FrankFake Out by Eden FinleyAlphas Like Us by Krista Ritchie
March 2018 MM Releases
240 books — 277 voters
Change of Heart by Mary CalmesWith Caution by J.L. LangleyWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
1,073 books — 1,476 voters

More lists with this book...

Meags
4.5 Stars

This series has proven itself to be one of my absolute favourite reads of 2018. Seriously, loving it!!!

This trilogy of trilogies is frequently reminiscent of so many of my much loved paranormal/fantasy themed books and TV shows, yet at the same time it feels like an entirely fresh and unique story. It highlights a lot of fantasy elements I adore, including (but not limited to) some seriously great writing and an intricate story arc that seems to be constantly building towards something
R * A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

Consistently compelling urban fantasy!

What this book excels at is the better romantic progression, the quicker reveal of plot details as it focuses on Fletcher, the 3rd main character of this unique series. The common theme so far is the journey these three young men must go through to further evolve into their destined potential, and for Fletcher, his path is not surprisingly easy.

Here, Fletcher’s particularly stymied by the tragic murder of his mother and understandably, his trauma ha
BWT (Belen)
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am addicted to this series!

So, yeah, I mistakenly read book 4 first. Oops. No matter, now I know how Fletcher and Conner actually met and fell for each other. PSA time kids: don't read these out of order.

I love the fantasy elements and world building, and how each installment has another piece of the puzzle. I can't wait to find out what happens next.

Single POV fantasy with low heat, recurring characters, and a HFN cliffhanger ending. This is not a standalone.

Note: The Rowan Harbor Cycle is a
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited, m-m
Gah! I can't believe I have to wait now! I could have just kept reading these, one after another. I can not wait, truly, to see what is going to happen next. I know the next three books are going to be quite a ride. I feel we were only just touching the surface with these introductions.

This book seemed to be a little heavier than the first two. I am not sure if that is the right description or not but there was just something more about this one. It felt deeper. I had no idea how this was going
Annika
Audiobook review

4,5 stars

I'm in love with this series and I keep waiting for the next book to be released so I can find out what happens next in the mysterious town of Rowan Harbor. It's an addictive series and I couldn't be happier to have the chance to read it.

Fox and Birch is told from Fletcher Lane's POV. He's the deputy with the Rowan Harbor police force. The book picks up shortly after the last book and Fletcher is dealing with the consequences of killing the vampire that kidnapped one of
Sandra
4.5 stars!!

The third installment of the first trilogy of trilogies in the paranormal Rowan Harbor series focuses on Fletcher Lane, one of the town's deputies, who featured to some extent in the first two books (more so in book 2, actually). He's friends with Devon, works with Wade, and was heavily involved in the events of book 2.

The story picks up right after the second book ends. Fletcher, instrumental in getting rid of the bad vampire, is now sort of possessed by the spirit that lived inside
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~

Directly following the events of book 2, Fox and Birch is focussing on Fletcher, the police officer and partner of Wade, mate of Devon we've met in book 1, Blackbird in the Reeds.

I really liked how Fletcher was fleshed out right from the start. We know he is a fox shifter and a pretty timid guy; he seems to have a low self-esteem and belittles himself pretty often within the former books and this.

He doesn't see his
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

Out of the first three books -- of nine books in total, the rest of the series will be released later -- from The Rowan Harbor Cycle, Fox and Birch is so far my favorite. Probably because in this book, rather than dealing with the 'mythology' surrounding Rowan Harbor, it focuses more on Fletcher Lane - the 24-years-old sheriff’s deputy fox shapeshifter - the aftermath of the previous book ((view spoiler)
Lillian Francis
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG this is my favourite so far. Fletcher and Connor are an adorable couple.

While I enjoyed the first two books, this one was my favourite. This far into the series we're aware of Rowan Harbor and it's reason for being, and that means this book requires far less world building, so we can concentrate on Fletcher's growth and the ongoing story.

For the reader the story is much more open. This is not a criticism of the first books: in Blackbird Devon didn't have a clue about the goings on in Rowan
Achim
3.5
Until I can come up with my own review I have to say that I completely agree with Ami's review. She said it perfectly.

Maybe there is one thing that doesn't sit right with me: why is Fletcher so dismissive about his fox. It's something I like in shifter stories: that the "character" of the animal is showing also in the human form. Here Sam Burns only sees the cuteness while in reality a fox isn't only a secondhand predator.
Joyfully Jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

This is the third volume in the Rowan Harbor Cycle series and is not meant to be read as a stand alone. It picks up right on the heels of book two as Fletcher’s story takes over where Jesse’s left off. Of all three books, I think this is the one I liked the least, though I did still like it. In this book there’s a lot of plot, a lot of world building, but the emphasis is placed upon Fletcher and Connor’s growing relationship. Like the others, there’s a love at first sight
Cadiva
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bloody love this series but if you asked me to identify quite why I do, it would be difficult to immediately pinpoint the reason.

I love the quirky nature of the stories, the paranormal aspects of life in Rowan Harbour are just treated as everyday things, no one bats an eye when one of the Deputy Sheriffs shifts into a Fox and runs off, or when they're talking to a dryad in the woods.

There's a gentleness to the narrative, even when things turn occasionally violent, that brings a whimsical feeli
Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie
4.5 Stars!

Fox and Birch is book 3 in the Rowan Harbor Cycle series and it absolutely can't be read as a standalone as there's an ongoing storyline, so just pick up the three of them, they're really good and the series is updated every month or so, with no cliffhangers, so it's not like you have to wait too long for the next installment.

I've been waiting for Fletcher's story, since the first book. He's such a sweet, kind, unassuming guy that I just couldn't not fall for him, especially after I l
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
4.5*

Fox and Birch by Sam Burns.
Book 3 in the Rowan Harbor Cycle.

This book is a continuation of books 1 & 2, but the MC is Deputy Fletcher "The nice cop" from the previous books.

This story is about Fletcher's struggle with his own natural magic of being a shifter and this new foreign magic from the "evil book". He's also dealing with his mother's murderer showing up, an "untrustworthy" love interest, taking lessons from Oak on how to focus and become what his mother always told him he coul
Joscelyn Smith
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great series

I really enjoyed Fletcher's story and I like that each story includes the characters from the previous books, I want more. I'm looking forward to the next six books in the series.
Valerie
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series, what I could consider mystery/suspense with some romance added, has grown on me. I really enjoyed getting to know Fletcher in this story and I want to continue with the series to see where everyone's character arcs lead.
Manouchka
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
looking forward to the next one

each book I read in the series keeps getting better and better. I am really looking forward to the next book
R
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, reviewed, paranormal
Fletcher is a deputy. He accidentally killed a vampire who was trying to steal a powerful, probably evil book. Nothing goes as planned, as seems to be the way in Rowan Harbor. The book winds up inside of Fletcher. Talking to him in what sounds like German. Stressing him out completely. While his friends are trying to find a way to separate him from the book he continues working. Into the station walks his worst nightmare.

The hunter that murdered his mother and his two friends come to town search
Dana
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Loving this series still. Listened to the audio. A big mystery is wrapped up and I'm curious where the rest of the series will take us. The narrator is pretty good. Will listen to him again.
Nicki
Listened to audio 5* on everything, can't wait for the rest of these books to come to audio.
Beth doesn't write  enough reviews
I am enthralled with the world Sam Burns has created in Rowan Harbor. Intricately detailed with such interesting characters I am always sorry when I’ve reached the end of a book.

This series is a ‘trilogy of trilogies’, three sets of books where each couple gets their own book in the trilogy but all of the books are connected. All of the characters are present but the main focus is one one couple. Each couple has had their meet & HFN so far in these first three books.

I’m torn though, of the
Lisa The Novel Approach
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying if you haven’t read this series yet, do not start here. This is the third book in a trilogy of trilogies—basically, what will eventually be nine books total—so this particular installment wraps up the first trilogy, but there are still six more books to go and this absolutely can’t be read as a stand-alone.

So far I haven’t been disappointed with anything I have read by Sam Burns and so I immediately jump on the next available book and have been lucky enough to get all of t
Free_dreamer
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Scattered Thoughts And Rogue Words Review

First of all, “Fox and Birch” is not a standalone story. While we meet the third (and final) couple in this book, the events in the previous books are too important for the overall story arc to just skip over and still understand what’s going on in book three.

I liked Fletcher. He’s very different from our other MCs, much more vulnerable but also so very strong. We don’t learn much about Conner, his love interest. But that’s okay, it’s their first book a
Daniel Mitton
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(Originally reviewed for Love Bytes Reviews. Rated 4.5 out of 5.0 Love Bytes.)

Can I just say how happy I was to get to review this installment in the series? Another reviewer has been reviewing the series but because of RL events, he gave this one up. I’ve been reading the series since the first book popped up on my recommended line at Amazon and I’ve loved all three.

In this latest installment our story turns to Fletcher, the unassuming nice cop that offsets Wade’s by the rules cop. We had heard
shannon sand
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love love

Love this series can't wait for the next one!! Really can't wait to see what happens between Fletcher and Connor
Denise White
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Best one so far

This was the best so far...I completely adore Fletcher....he was so sweet...I also felt bad for Aldrich but I was glad he finally found peace.... I'm also glad I finally understand how the series is being written.. Totally can't wait for the next book...
Linnea
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-series, paranormal
I understand the setup for this series, and I think it's really neat, but I can't help but to wish they were just a little longer. Burns do get a lot of emotion and substance in to each book though, despite the shortness.

I am so excited to see where Burns is taking Conner's story.
Dena
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5*
Sussu
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
3,6 stars

Easily my least favorite of the Rowan Harbor Cycle, so far. I was able to buy the instalove between Devon and Wade as well as Jesse and Sean (because of the werewolf lore) but it just doesn't hold up when it's simply of the "I saw you and instantly wanted you for no apparent reason" variety. There wasn't any tension between the character, sexual or otherwise, which is a feat in itself considering the setup. Fletcher was able to see Conner as a good guy way too easily, all things conside
Ajà
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book in one sentence: Small town cop Fletcher is a shapeshifter trying to fight an evil magic possession, while a nightmare from his past threatens Rowan Harbor.
My rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Steaminess: 🌶🌶🌶
My recommendation:Just read the whole series folks! All of the three main characters are great and well-developed. The setting and supporting characters are fun and there is every kind of supernatural creature living in the small town.
Content warnings: past trauma
  • It Takes Two to Tango (Fur, Fangs, and Felines, #3)
  • To Touch You (Mates, #4)
  • Camwolf
  • Patience (Forbes Mates #2)
  • The Benevolence Tales: Volume 1
  • Chosen Pride (L'Ange, #3)
  • Blood From a Stoner
  • An Intrepid Trip to Love (A Little Bite of Love #1)
  • Jagged Rock
  • Creature Feature (Creature Feature #1)
  • If I Should Stumble (Tork and Adam, #3)
  • Seen (Breaking Free #2)
  • Dim Sum Asylum
  • Charmed and Dangerous
  • Echoes of Deviance (Aberrant Magic, #4)
  • The Necromancer's Reckoning (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #3)
  • Hexslayer (Hexworld, #3)
  • Crash Landers

The Rowan Harbor Cycle (7 books)
  • Blackbird in the Reeds (The Rowan Harbor Cycle, #1)
  • Wolf and the Holly (The Rowan Harbor Cycle, #2)
  • Hawk in the Rowan (The Rowan Harbor Cycle #4)
  • Stag and the Ash (The Rowan Harbor Cycle #5)
  • Adder and Willow (The Rowan Harbor Cycle #6)
  • Eagle in the Hawthorn (The Rowan Harbor Cycle, #7)