Start by marking “Pressing Flowers” as Want to Read:
Pressing Flowers

Pressing Flowers

One tragic night was all it took to rob Miriam Jones of her husband. Three years later, still struggling to cope, she is now met with the possibility of losing the only thing left in this world that she holds dear, her daughter.
When she is served one morning with her mother’s ultimatum, Miriam suddenly finds seven items on a piece of yellow legal pad paper threatening th
Published February 4th 2018 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Pressing Flowers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pressing Flowers

Start your review of Pressing Flowers
Dilek VT
2,5 stars rounded up to 3

***********************************************

THIS IS NOT ROMANCE...
Just saying...

***********************************************

The writing of this book is good but the tone of the book is sad and depressing. It deals with the grief of death and major depression caused by the loss of loved ones (her husband & child). Meanwhile, as if there is not enough sadness in it, a close family member has cancer and it is terminal. So, while the heroine tries to heal herself afte
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
You may not always make the right decision, on your path back to a healthy state of mind, you might not even make the popular one, but if you know in your heart that it will set you back if you chose to do it, then you made the correct one for you.

This novel is a tough one to read in that it covers the gamut of nearly every human emotion. I enjoyed the writing, the story-line & the characters. The characters were achingly real, the dialogue authentic, the emotions raw, and the plot had just
Christa  Rhinehart
Amazing!!

An amazing book I couldn’t put down. The author had me laughing, crying and cheering Miriam on, hoping she can find her way through her struggles and grief. This book has a lot little bit of everything: humor, romance and unbreakable bonds. A definite tear jerker that tugs at your heart strings but leaves you satisfied at the end.
Marco Peel
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a pleasant surprise

It takes a lot of skill to write a book about dealing with grief that is a real joy to read. Pressing Flowers takes us on an epic journey of ordinary people in everyday life, from the depths of crippling depression to the heights of unconditional love, filled with insight, humor and humanity. Along the way, a small handful of characters connect and come to life with their intimate secrets, spontaneous reactions and quirky dialogues, and slowly grow to accept that the best way
marcia freeman
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished in 1 day!

I love the way Mrs. Blanchard understood and handled each step of the grief process. Including a know-it-all mother.
I almost laid the book down when I figured out her sister had cancer. My sister died almost 4 years ago of aggressive brain cancer. I love the way she allowed each person to grieve in their own way. Well done Mrs. Blanchard!
Carrie Ferris
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down! There are no boring parts to this book whatsoever. Would definitely recommend to read!!
Sammi
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm tapping 5 stars here but my true rating is 4.5 stars.

I just didn't know how to rate this. A small part of me felt bored at times but I still kept picking it up so can I really say I was ever bored?

I fell in love with all the characters. They were all likeable and real.

Katie is a BRILLIANT author. I can't believe this is her debut????? Like???? PLEASE write more books! Your writing is just beautiful, you could write about a toilet roll for 200 pages and I'd probably love it!!!

My GOD I was
Danielle Luberda
"I am working thru the steps that allow me to live day to day in a healthier way. I'd love to say I'm already healed, it would be nice to have an exact achievement on such a life event that stated when it's over. There isn't because this is life. It is messy, unforgiving, and painful." ❤

Pressing Flowers is well written with a strong story line; conflicts; and characters. This novel takes you on a journey of the ups and downs of grief and moving on. I felt every triumph; every miss step; and ever
B.B. James
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful story, sensitively told, about loss, bereavement and grief, and anyone who has lost someone close will identify with the mixed emotions displayed in this journey of a tale.

Miriam’s pain after losing both her husband and six-month-old baby in one tragic incident leaves her not only reeling in shock but suffering the worst possible torment as her loved ones are cruelly snatched from her by the thoughtless actions of a stranger.

To compound her pain, she is trying to come to term
Akhil Sharma
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are no extraordinary people, there are just ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances.
Exploring the depth of emotions right from the perspective of grief and loss is a tough and dark journey which everyone is scared to take just like Miriam. When we don’t know how to swim, often we found ourselves sticking to the floating pads of depression in it.
No matter how hard she tries and when it looks like that she was able to overcome the hurdle of the permanent loss of loved ones, another
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book on the deepest grief one can experience. Needless to say, I cried! Miriam basically became a hermit when she lost two important people in her life. Her young daughter stepped up and did things on her own and what she could for her grieving momma. Three years after the accident, Miriam's mom gives her a list. This list must be completed or she will take away Miriam's daughter. Talk about a wake up call! Anger at her mom, fear of escaping her cocoon. Can she do it to keep her daughter? If y ...more
Katlyn
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a surprisingly good book! From the day I first got it, I had a hard time putting it down. It's a very emotional book & parts of it will definitely make your eyes fill with tears. It's a quick read , not too long or difficult at all. I would have loved it to be a bit longer actually, to go deeper, but all in all it was a wonderful book that I will recommend in the future for sure! I'm happy that it was a pick for my book club , and applaud the local author who followed her dream to write ...more
Baby girl
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a story

From the moment I opened my Kindle to read this book, I knew it was going to be a good one. I laughed, I got upset, and I cried. Grief is hard to handle especially when it is because of a loved one. Thank you so much for the story of Miriam, Ben, Amelia, Penelope, Oliver and their mother. The steps of what it is to deal with grief along with other obstacles in one's life is something we all deal with at one point in our lives. It was truly lovely.
Jennifer Morris
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read. Miriam takes you on her journey to overcome her tragic past. She does this with humor and sarcasm that keeps you rooting for her. Charlotte was my favorite character. We all need a Charlotte to kick us in the pants sometimes. This was a story full of strong women, great relationships, and the power of a mothers love.
Lynn
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written, deeply emotional journey. This is the story of a woman grieving for her husband, and how she learns to be happy again, even when her losses are a constant struggle. The author does a fantastic job of examining the different relationships: mother-daughter, sister-sister, and romantic.
Annie
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pressing Flowers By Katie Blanchard

One of the best books I've read about love, terrible tragedy, and the anger at everything life throws in our path . A great story about overcoming everything to find the love and happiness with a wonderful patient man you never thought you could feel and have again. Thanks Katie Blanchard for a very great story.
Mette
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfection word for word

I have been crying for an hour now finishing this story.
Words cannot express how I feel right now. The journey this book took me on today has been all consuming and I commend the author on her ability to put together words that touch this deep.
Shannon Anderson
Sucked me in quickly!

Well done, Katie. Well done. I was sad when I had to put it down and inside Miriam's world each time I was able to sneak away and read.
Sandra
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

This is one of the best books i have ever read, and I read everyday! It is sad but amazingly happy at the same time. Do not miss reading this book!
kim vogen
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding

One of the best I've read for awhile. Kept you in suspense from the first page. So heart touching. Felt as though you were right there with the characters
Dana Cantrell
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh so good!

Heart warming, meaningful, funny,and heart wrenching all in one book. Great characters and story line. Hard to put down. . “Love never dies.”
Billi Hoyle
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breathtaking

Such a powerful story of love, loss, depression and regrowth. Even though Mar got stuck in a black hole, the people that loved her most showed her the way back.
Nicole Parnell
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story. I was able to relate to this book on so many levels being a young widow myself. Well done
Holly
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear God. I sobbed my way through the last half of this story, from about 60% on. I knew what happened from the get, and i had a feeling what was coming, and still, I sobbed and hard. I honestly haven't cried this hard reading a book since Dumbledore died.

I loved Blanchard's writing style, and man, she knows how to write a tale. I loved Miriam. Her sarcastic, quirky, weirdness is me. This is just such a raw, relatable story. I'm telling everyone to read it.
Anni Albert
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very emotional and beautifully written. One of the best books I've read about terrible tragedy and love. Needless to say, I cried!
Samara
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came upon this book as an audiobook and I can’t say enough good things. Katie Blanchard did a wonderful job narrating her book, she brought me in quickly to learn Miriam’s story. Miriam is in mourning, she has given up on life, she is a hollow shell of herself , she has a precious daughter who she loves deeply but lives in a state of sadness and cannot be the mother Penelope longs for and needs. On a typical weekday morning, her mother arrives with an ultimatum and a list, take care of Penelop ...more
Linell
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
super first novel. great characters, full of emotion
J.B. Trepagnier
While this book is well written and handles the subject of grief gently for the most part, as a reader and widower, I found it a bit horrific that one of the mother's conditions in her big list of 7 for not taking Miriam's child away from her was to start dating again. And her sister, who is supposed to be on her side and helping her, doesn't fight this condition, she also pushes Miriam to start dating again. While some widowers do eventually decide to date again, most do it on their own terms w ...more
Rachel Bullock
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think if you haven’t lost someone close to you, you might not get how awesome this book is. I lost my 21 year old son eight years ago. As Ms Blanchard wrote in the book,
“We might not have been cut by the same knife, but our scars hurt in similar ways, and that is something we can build on.”
Even if your loss is different from Miriam’s loss of her beloved husband Ben, you will relate to the grief that has a deep hold on her, even three years later. If you’re like me, you’ll hope that you can m
Cynthia Hickey
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cathartic

Characters so well developed. Storyline that will touch many people especially those, who like me, have experienced grievous loss. I lost my husband suddenly in a work accident at age 38, my father to a sudden heart attack, and my sister-in-law to a hard fought cancer battle. I stayed up all night reading this book and crying , a cleansing cry as I read feelings and events I had also experienced. Thanks fo writing “Pressing Flowers”.

• Come Back
  • Lost Child: A tale of Abandonment, Rejection and Survival
  • His Wife's Sister
  • The Absent Woman
  • Should Have Known Better
  • Brave Girl, Quiet Girl
  • Cast Away
  • Apple Die (Apple Orchard Cozy #1)
  • Life in the Hollywood Lane
  • The Country Guesthouse (Sullivan's Crossing, #5)
  • The Orphan House
  • Tahoe Deep (An Owen McKenna Mystery Thriller Book 17)
  • Have You Seen Me?
  • Left For Dead
  • The Body on the Beach (An Island Mystery Book 1)
  • The Wrong Side of the Bed: A Novel
  • Before You (Kiss Starter, #1)
  • Shades
I love books. I love to hold books, look at books, hoard books, buy too many books, and most importantly read books. I decided one day that instead of letting characters act out the day inside my head, that I would put them down on paper. Thus, the birth of Pressing Flowers, my first self-published novel.

I couldn't stop there. Dear Anna is my first psychological thriller, followed by the prequ

News & Interviews

“Go ahead." That's all I say. Those two words, go ahead. Destroy me with what you are going to tell me. Bring me back to that night and pray it doesn't cripple me again.” 0 likes