Start by marking “A Murdered Peace (Kate Clifford #3)” as Want to Read:
A Murdered Peace (Kate Clifford #3)

A Murdered Peace

(Kate Clifford #3)

It is deep winter in York, 1400, the ground frozen, the short days dimmed with the smoke from countless fires, the sun, when it shines, low in the sky. It is rumored that the Epiphany Uprising, meant to relieve the realm of the Henry the usurper and return King Richard to the throne has, instead, spelled his doom. As long as Richard lives, he is a threat to Henry. So, too, ...more
Published December 11th 2018 by Pegasus Books

To ask other readers questions about A Murdered Peace, please sign up.
Diane Yes, you definitely should read the series in order to get the character development and relationships. Also, the historical events propel the plot in…moreYes, you definitely should read the series in order to get the character development and relationships. Also, the historical events propel the plot in this book, so reading in order makes sense from that perspective.(less)

Start your review of A Murdered Peace (Kate Clifford #3)
eyes.2c
A fast paced medieval murder mystery that's so much more!

Kate Clifford, a successful York merchant, is confused by the disappearance of her friend and cook Berend. It's 1400 and what with the disastrous Epiphany Uprising, an attempt to return King Richard to his rightful place, the times are challenging and dangerous. What could have prompted his abrupt departure? In a measure Kate feels betrayed that her confidante might not have been as open as she had thought.
When a wounded Berend resurfaces,
Chris Nickson
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best in the series so far. An intricate plot that never loses its way, no matter how far the web stretches, and a perfect evocation and place and the turbulent political times that comes to York. Kate is better than ever, stronger, firmer in her convictions (at least in some ways), and the cast of characters is more fully realised than before. We find out about Berend's past, and possibly about some of Kate's future. Robb has rarely been better than she is here, every word, action, and thoug ...more
Robin
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The third in Candace Robb’s Kate Clifford series, set in 1400 York, finds much has changed in Kate’s world. Kate, a widow who had been shackled by her late husband’s debts, has at last paid them off. She’s a happy mother to her wards – two of them her late husband’s illegitimate children – but she loves all three of her children, one of them saved from the streets of York, equally. Her household is a bustling and happy one.

As the book opens, a friend appears of her doorstep in a snowstorm, reque
Deanna Madden
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Murdered Peace is the third and final book in Candace Robb’s Kate Clifford Mystery series. Beautiful cover to this mystery novel set in York, England in the winter of 1400. Again the research is impressive. It continues the story of independent young widow Kate, the people around her, and the time and place she inhabits. The transition from King Richard II to Henry IV, who deposed him, creates uncertain times and shifting allegiances. Kate risks much by helping to hide a noblewoman wanted as a ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: general-lit
I didn't realize it was the third book in a series...but it managed to fill in the gaps fairly quickly. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the characters very much. However, it is one slow burn of a book...and the pace seems glacial at times, when I was desperate for the story to speed up. It's also full of a great many characters, and it was hard to keep track of them, especially towards the climax. Overall, it's a busy, stuffed-to-the-gills piece of historical fiction, but with plenty of charm and o ...more
Joan
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A well written, well plotted and fast paced story in which Kate Clifford's family is in danger after their cook, Berend, disappears and is later connected to a plot to murder King Henry IV and his sons and return King Richard II to the throne. Then Kate's friend, Lady Kirkby, turns up on her doorstep widowed and fleeing from King Henry's men. Kate must help her friends with the assistance of Sir Elric and his men and solve a couple of murders along the way. Is this the end of the series or will ...more
Julie
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I've now read two of these and I have a consistent reaction: They are incredibly well reasearched, give you densely textured portrait of life in medieval York, but are just not that great as mysteries. The prose is a little too stolid, I think. I'm sure this is just a matter of taste, though. So your mileage may vary.
Kenneth J Boyle
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lighten the Head that wears the Crown

Kate Clifford is an ideal heroine, independent, beautiful, ingenious, loving, and always the searcher. Ms Robb provides us with actions that demand answers by characters that are believable and always striving for answers to mysteries. Great read. Thanks,
Ken B
Amy
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just when I think Candace Robb can't get any better as a writer, she does. I really enjoyed the previous two Kate Clifford books, and this brings her story together in a compelling way. The characters continue to be engaging and interesting. The story moves at a quick pace, but yet still gives time for development and thoughtful insights. A great read!
Carol
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
" A Murdered Peace" was intriquing. I love English history and intrigue and this plot and characters met all my expectations. I did not anticipate getting so involved but it was certainly a page-turner.
Paula
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding

One of her very best. I love her writing. The best in the genre. I am in love with her characters, the plots, the settings, the period...I do hope there are many more of this series. Pleasdpleaseplease write more Ms. Robb...maps and all! I cannot wait for more!
Cindy Ladensack
I like the strong characters and interesting historical setting but found the 1400s political intrigue details really kinda confused up the central mystery. Loved that the dogs were such integral characters though!
Ronald T. Blaise
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The good knights woman

While this story was interesting there were several times it was difficult to keep up with all the characters and changes. Having said that I really enjoyed the story and would recommend this book to my friends.
Kathy Moberg
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had to concentrate to keep track of everyone and everything but it was worth it. I also enjoyed the ties to some of the characters in Ms Robb's Owen Archer series which is another of my favorites. Please keep them coming, Candace Robb!
Pam
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting and well written, but a bit hard to follow. It probably would have helped if I'd read the first two.
Cheryl
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-edition
I think this was my favorite Kate Clifford. Loved loved loved this!
Maria Cofrancesco
Interesting History

Though it started out as a slow read by chapter 2 there were so many twists and turns I couldn't put it down until I saw how it all came together.
Daniella Bernett
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"A Murdered Peace" is a compelling murder mystery set during a turbulent time in British history. Kate Clifford is a strong, intelligent and likable character.
Crystal Ford
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love Candace Robb's writing style. Historical fiction is my favorite and she uses modern language with a bit of old English thrown in, so it doesn't take away from the story. Her characters are interesting, I did not see all the twists coming in this story. I also love her Owen Archer series and this book ties in a main character from it, I love it!
Halloon
Jun 09, 2019
Geri Rutgers
Dec 27, 2018
Alice Rushforth
rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2019
May 30, 2019
Eva
Mar 06, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Final Toll (Servant of the Crown #4)
  • City of Pearl
  • A Swarming of Bees
  • Murder at Broadstowe Manor (Stephen Attebrook Mysteries #8)
  • A Dangerous Engagement (Amory Ames #6)
  • Who Slays the Wicked (Sebastian St. Cyr, #14)
  • The Angel in the Glass (Gabriel Taverner Mystery #2)
  • Death's Dark Valley (Hugh Corbett #20)
  • Who Speaks for the Damned (Sebastian St. Cyr, #15)
  • Quest of Malice (Templar Knight Mysteries Book 10)
  • The Rufus Spy (Aelf Fen, #8)
  • Hostage to Fortune (A Bradecote and Catchpoll Investigation, #4)
  • Breach of Faith (Ela of Salisbury Medieval Mysteries, #2)
  • The Twice-Hanged Man (Medieval Mystery #15)
  • Caught Red-Handed (Servant of the Crown Mystery, #5)
  • Vale of Tears (A Bradecote and Catchpoll Investigation, #5)
  • An Artless Demise (Lady Darby Mystery #7)
  • Queen of a Distant Hive (Fridgyth the Herb-Wife Book 2)

Storyteller, mythweaver, author of the Owen Archer, Kate Clifford, & Margaret Kerr mysteries. Primary residence, medieval York.

I blog about writing, medieval history, writing women's stories, and feature new scholarship in my field at candacerobbbooks.com, and share loads of medieval news, folklore, and whimsy on my facebook page, Candace Robb

Kate Clifford (3 books)
  • The Service of the Dead (Kate Clifford #1)
  • A Twisted Vengeance (Kate Clifford #2)

News & Interviews