Start by marking “The Pharaoh's Treasure: The Origin of Paper and the Rise of Western Civilization” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  23 ratings  ·  14 reviews
For our entire history, humans have always searched for new ways to share information. This innate compulsion led to the origin of writing on the rock walls of caves and coffin lids or carving on tablets. But it was with the advent of papyrus paper when the ability to record and transmit information exploded, allowing for an exchanging of ideas from the banks of the Nile t ...more
Published October 2nd 2018 by Pegasus Books

To ask other readers questions about The Pharaoh's Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pharaoh's Treasure

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Pharaoh's Treasure: The Origin of Paper and the Rise of Western Civilization
Dana-Adriana B.
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
It is a great historical book about the importance of paper. I, a book lover, found this story very interesting.
Thank you Netgalley for this nice read.
Janet
From the publisher, as I do not regurgitate the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them.

A thought-provoking history of papyrus paper―from its origins in Egypt to its spread throughout the world―revealing how it helped usher in a new era of human history.

Rebecca Hill
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have always been fascinated by anything to do with Ancient Egypt, and this book was no exception! I enjoyed learning more about an aspect I knew little about, but that was so vital to their history and the knowledge that we have today!
S.J.A. Turney
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fancy a fascinating dip into some non-fiction history? Here’s a subject you might not have sought out, but one that might capture your fascination. I read the title and the description and simply decided I wanted to know more. It’s not a text I need for research, but like so many good books, it is one that when read will inform everything I ever look at hereafter. It is the history of paper, and with it the written word.

It’s a subject that’s always hovered on the edge of what I do, s
Kristine Gibbs
Feb 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
The premise of this book is what caught my eye, and I should have stopped there. While the history he presents isn't uninteresting, his writing style leaves something to be desired. It wasn't so much a "rise" of civilization as a "guide to how papyrus was cultivated..." There was a major disconnect between what the book was trying to be and where it was actually successful.
In addition, the major negative for me is that a Fulbright Scholar and PhD trained ecologist routinely utilized Wikipedia a
Elentarri
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gaudet has written a delightfully interesting and informative book that covers everything papyrus in terms of paper. He covers topics such as the ancient locations of papyrus; it's various uses; the invention and evolution of papyrus paper; the business of manufacture and distribution of papyrus sheets from Egypt, across the Mediterranean region and beyond; and it's eventual eclipse by rag paper. The numerous historical stories about archaeological discoveries and daring "rescue" attempts are we ...more
Kathleen Vail
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The History of the World is Told in the History of Papyrus

The Pharaoh's Treasure: The Origin of Paper and the Rise of Western Civilization by John Gaudet is an amazing journey through World History. Truly, the history of the world is encompassed within the history of papyrus - to learn specifically about the long and captivating career of papyrus is to learn about the rise of human communication, productivity, politics, and market economies all across the globe.

Cat
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
History of paper! Perfect for a book lover like myself. I remember learning about the history in maybe 6th grade, then it was repeated in various art classes, then later college courses, but to own a book on the history is too marvelous! What I have always found funny (and really sad) was that so many libraries disposed of their magazine and newspaper collections way back in the 60's and 70's, only to find the film replacements not lasting as long and all those newspapers, on the market, still h ...more
Chris Miller
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, 2019
This is an important book, but extremely hard to classify. It is history, archaeology, biology, chemistry, architecture, botany, mystery, spying, library science, geography, greed, farming, soil technology and more. He takes the story of papyrus from Pharoic Egypt to the modern era. Mr. Gaudet writes in an enjoyable, informative narrative that moves through time and space and thoroughly covers his subject without the blah, blah, blah, of some writers. It is heck of a nice read.
Theresa
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who loves books and paper will be intrigued by this well-written history about the importance of paper to civilization.
Michael Thulin
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who has an interest in history. The depth and breadth of details is riveting.
MichaelR
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A readable book with thorough coverage of the topic, starting with Egyptian culture and development of papyrus all the way to the first books & libraries.
Jun 02, 2019
Matthew Gilmore
Jun 23, 2019
Karen
I received a free review copy from the publisher in exchange for my honest unedited feedback.

I found this to be a really interesting and informative read. I will admit that I had never really given any thought as to how and why papyrus came to be used, and I liked learning about both how papyrus was produced and how the move from clay tablets to papyrus and then to what we would recognise as paper helped ideas to spread. I had assumed before reading this that papyrus was fragile, and
Mario Alpízar
rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2018
Kenzie Erickson
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was fascinating but a little dry for my taste. I enjoyed learning about some of the treasures that were included in the book.
Kathleen
Oct 02, 2018
Kyle Spence
Oct 04, 2018
John Gaudet
Oct 12, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)

• One Night in Drake Mansion (Skeptic Detective, #1)
  • Lab Rats: How Silicon Valley Made Work Miserable for the Rest of Us
  • The General Theory of Haunting
  • Terrifying Tales
  • Reign of the Marionettes
  • The Year of the Snake: Murder in the Senate
  • Rebels Against Tyranny: Civil War in the Crusader States
  • With the Courage of a Mouse (Superhero School #1)
  • Agrippina: Empress, Exile, Hustler, Whore
  • Blood Moon: An American Epic of War and Splendor in the Cherokee Nation
  • Raven Lane
  • The Hollow Queen (Stolen Empire, #5)
  • Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters: From the Ozark Mountains to Fukushima
  • Plutopia: Nuclear Families, Atomic Cities, and the Great Soviet and American Plutonium Disasters
  • Woken Furies (Takeshi Kovacs, #3)
  • Warrior's Creed: My Life of Rescue and Survival, from Special Operations to Pararescue
  • Poor Lamb, Poor Lamb