Start by marking “Do Not Disturb” as Want to Read:
Do Not Disturb

Do Not Disturb

'A chilling reminder that sometimes home is where the hurt is' Cara Hunter, bestselling author of Close to Home

'This kept me up last night. Scary. Twisty. All too believable' Jane Corry, author of My Husband's Wife

Could your dream home be your worst nightmare?

After what happened in London, Kirsty needs a fresh start with her family.
And running a guesthouse in the W
Paperback
Published August 9th 2018 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Do Not Disturb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do Not Disturb

Start your review of Do Not Disturb
Amanda
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having read Claire Douglas previous books “The Sisters” and “Last seen alive” I am very honoured and excited to get a copy of “ Do not disturb” from Netgalley in exchange for a review.

Married couple Kirstie and Adrian move to the Brecon Beacons in Wales with their children Amelia 11, Evie 6 and their grandmother Carol to run a newly renovated B&B. They moved from London hoping for a calmer pace of life after Adrian suffered depression and walked out of his stressful job.

The business is ready to
Lou
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
'Do Not Disturb' is Claire Douglas's fourth novel and after completely devouring 'Last Seen Alive' (LSA) in 2017 and it featuring in my Top Twenty Favourites in an end-of-year list, I was eager to read this to see exactly how it compared to her previous books. Although it didn't disappoint it wasn't as incredible as LSA. Don't get me wrong, this is superior to most titles in this genre, it's just we readers tend to have super-high expectations when we know an author is capable of producing a spe ...more
Louise Wilson
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Kirsty needs a fresh start with her family. Running a guesthouse in the Welsh mountains sounds idyllic. But when their first guest arrives, Selena is the last person Kirsty wants to see. Seventeen years have passed since she tore everything apart. Why has she chosen now to walk back into Kirsty's life?

After what happened in London, Kirsty and her family are looking forward to their fresh start running a guesthouse in the Welsh mountains. When Selena and her daughter are the first guests, she is
Aj the Ravenous Reader
What I liked about Do Not Disturb is how the story slowly unravels the real threat in the story. The author is even able to make me think that this is a horror story starting with the old house turned into a B & B with all its sinister history, what with all those mysterious and creepy threats to the family, the noose, the dead flowers, the misplaced stuffs around the house and the angry stares of the neighbors.

Instead, the real threat is something I did not expect and it appears as if it does n
Dash fan
4☆ A deliciously dark and twisty thriller, that had me enthralled to the very end!

Do Not Disturb is a deliciously dark and twisty thriller, that had me enthralled to the very end!

Kristy, her hubby Adrian and their children head to Wales to start a b&b guesthouse business, with the help of Kristy's Mother Carol. After a taut period for the family, Kristy believes the guesthouse is exactly what they all need.

Unfortunately for Kristy things are not going to go smoothly when in walks her estranged c
Mandy White
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
I have been a fan of Claire Douglas' previous books but this one was definitely favourite. I started this in the afternoon and stayed up late to finish it last night. This book had it all and more, couldn't wait to find out how it was going to end.

Kirsty and Adrian pack up theirs lives in London with their 2 daughters and move to Wales to open their own guesthouse. Adrian suffered a breakdown recently Andy they see it as their chance to start fresh. Their first guest is Kirsty's cousin Selena wh
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
do-not-disturb-claire-douglas-320x250.jpg

Arc Book Review
Release Date-9/8/18

I Really enjoyed "Do Not Disturb" this was my second book by this particular author and out of the two this one was my hands down favourite.
I read this in one sitting: staying up late into the night to finish always a sign of a good read that in my opinion.
The concept here is simple: Kirsty and Adrain along with there two daughters and Kirstys mother make a big move to a small village in Wales to run a guest house together.
Adrian is recovering from a bout of dep
Mandy
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
IT is is the story of Kirsty and her family, who relocate to Kirsty's hometown in Wales after they buy a guesthouse there. Kirsty's husband is recovering from a breakdown so Kirsty is dealing with that too. She also has two young daughters that she is worried about, and also her mother, who has bought into the guesthouse with them.
On the first day of opening, Kirsty's cousin, Selena turns up with her daughter to stay at the guesthouse as she has left her husband. Kirsty and Selena used to be ver
Ken
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Claire Douglas novel, this gripping page turner instantly had me hooked straight after the prologue.
I loved it so much that I now want to read her previous titles.

The story opens with the main protagonist Kirsty awoken by screaming at 5:37 a.m., she discovers her mother crouching over a body covered in blood!

I love the structure of the book as it’s broken up into two parts. The first half tells of the events leading up to that morning as we are introduced to main characters.
Ki
Zoe Mann
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
'Do Not Disturb' follows a family starting a new venture opening a B&B in Wales after a very tumultuous year in London. The concept of starting a new business is great on paper but when it becomes a reality the cracks begin to show. How do they keep their children safe when strangers are sharing their home every night? How do they keep their family unit strong when they are busy taking care of other families? It's not long before familiar faces from the families past begin to show up, but are th ...more
Margaret Duke-Wyer
Not too sure about this one. I finished it a couple of days ago and waited for it to ‘settle’ in my mind. Did I enjoy it? Yes, but…

Kirsty, her husband and two daughters have bought a house in Wales with the intention of running a B&B: this is part financed and part run with Kirsty’s mother. Hmm! After much restoration, lots of work, money and anxiety it is now time to open. Along with a few guests, members of Kirsty’s family descend on her (are they paying guests – just one more worry). Things
Adele Shea
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It kept me guessing right until the end.
Kristy and Adrian decide to pack up and move back to Wales from London after Adrian has a breakdown. Along with Kirstys Mum they buy a big house with the aim to set up guesthouse.
It seems the guesthouse hides some dark secrets, as does the owners and the guests. Some secrets are more worse and darker than others.
Eva
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I do so love Claire Douglas’ books and I was thrilled when I was given the opportunity to read this one early.

Kirsty and her family need a fresh start. They leave London and move to Wales to open a B&B, together with Kirsty’s mother. The house they’ve chosen needs a lot of work and there are a few things the family haven’t quite thought through. Despite that, they have a fair few bookings come opening weekend and it looks as if their B&B adventure is off to a good start.

But then Kirsty’s cousin,
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I love listening to thrillers at work. A truly great one that hooks me can make the working day much easier. DO NOT DISTURB started off great, I wanted to know more. What happened between Kirsty and Selene? What is happening in the house? Is it haunted or is just someone playing pranks? Or is there something sinister going on?

I will say that the first part of the book is the best when so much is unknown. Gradually did I feel that that the story was easy to predict. Still, I found it enjoyable m
greta ☁️
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
this book was extremely predictable, slow paced and nothing quite intriguing was happening. the only plot twist in this book was about a person who really was responsible for a murder, that's it lmao
Chanel Lindsay
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would firstly like to thank Netgalley and the publishers for allowing me to read this book for free in exchange for an honest review.

" After what happened in London, Kirsty needs a fresh start with her family. And running a guesthouse in the Welsh mountains sounds idyllic. But then their first guest arrives. Selena is the last person Kirsty wants to see. It's seventeen years since she tore everything apart. Why has she chosen now to walk back into Kirsty's life? Is Selena running from somethi
Liz Barnsley
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I've loved this author's previous books and I did thoroughly enjoy "Do Not Disturb " in that page turning, how will it end way that shows you have an absorbing book on your hands.

However in all honestly it wasn't my favourite of hers which I'll come onto- but there is a lot to love here also.

Attempting to escape a trying time for their family, Kirsty, Adrian and their daughters move to Wales to run a guesthouse, alongside Kirsty's mother. Their first guest however, much to Kirsty's dismay, is c
Hannah
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wales
The setting of Wales makes the story for me, the Brecon Beacons was a perfect setting (not for the characters however). I didn't find any of the characters particularly likeable but the story kept me reading. It's an easy read.
Sheri
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kirsty, husband Adrian, their young daughters and Kirsty’s mother move to the Brecon Beacons to fulfil the dream of opening a guest house. The place needs a lot of work - and not all the locals are friendly - but they’re finally ready to open the doors and welcome the first guests.

Of course, all goes far from according to plan.... the first guest arriving with an unexpected dog in tow and immediately announcing that the house has a “bad energy” is only the start. Kirsty’s long-estranged cousin
Zainab
Okay to be completely honest I'm not fully satisfied with the book but at same time it isn't that bad. It depends really (considering I have a pretty dark mind so I was kinda expecting more) I mean it's not boring as I read this in one sitting and gave it 4 stars.
Anyway, the story's pretty good. A woman moves to Wales with her two daughters and a husband, and her annoying ass mama, for a fresh start but a lot of spooky shit starts happening when her (idiot of a ) cousin shows up after 17 years w
Julie Lacey
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story that starts off quite slow but then it really kicks in.
Kirsty and Adrian move back to Wales and buy an old property to turn into a guest house. Kirsty’s Mum contributes to the new business venture and moves into the property with them and their two girls.
It’s clear something happened when they lived in London but it’s not until later in the book that we find out what this was.
As Kirsty’s Mum has an interest in the property, when she arranges for her niece and her daughte
Joanna Park
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Claire Douglas has written another fantastic book which is really thrilling, deliciously creepy and utterly brilliant.

From the start I was drawn into the story with a fantastic opening chapter.  The general atmosphere in the book makes you think anything could happen at any time which kept me on my toes.  The pace is quite fast from the beginning and got faster throughout the book as the story progressed.

As I might have mentioned I love the idea of starting anew somewhere and running a B&B reall
Kirsty ❤️
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was quite a grower for me. I wasn't too sure when I started it but by the end I couldn't out it down. Kirsty and Adrian move to Wales to start afresh after a difficult few years and open a guest house. On the opening weekend her brother and family arrive and also her estranged cousin with ailing daughter and events take a disturbing turn.

There are several factors here. Someone is threatening Kirsty and Adrian, leaving dead flowers on the door step and then there's the cousin Selena an
Joanne Robertson
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Claire Douglas has been one of my favourite “Go To” authors for a couple of years now and so I’m always excited to get my hands on her latest book. I love the stylish way she slowly and carefully builds up the tension in her books usually towards a catastrophic moment followed by the fallout and Do Not Disturb follows a similar pattern. And as soon as I picked it up, I was completely hooked and didn’t come up for air until I’d read about 20%!

I have always wanted to pack everything in to go and r
Rhona139
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Its certainly a roller coaster ! Just when you start to get to grips with the complex plot it all twists again. A brilliant read.

Moving to Wales to start afresh Kirsty and her family open a guesthouse in the hope of a quite simple life away from London. what happens is that her entire family end up staying in the guest house and the books takes on an Agatha Christie vibe it being so claustrophobic and dark. Adrian's illness, the girls difficult relocation and Kirsty's mum coming to stay and wor
Erica
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Do Not Disturb begins when Kirsty moves with her family into a small B&B in Wales which she is going to run with her Mother. Having had a hard time in London, Kirsty sees this as the opportunity for her husband Adrian and their two girls to all have a fresh start and are delighted when guests start arriving. Unfortunately one of their first guests is Kirsty’s cousin Selena, who Kirsty hasn’t seen for years after they fell out. Whilst they start to rebuild bridges strange things start happening a ...more
Joodith
Feb 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
"Absorbing and chilling...." reads the blurb, and "....thrilling finale". Oh good, I thought, a chilling, thrilling read.....

Something Bad happened to Adrian when he and Kirsty and their two girls lived in London, so never having run a business before, they decide to buy an almost derelict property in Wales and, once refurbished, open it as a B&B. Why? Because Kirsty is Welsh and loves Wales. What better reason could there be. So this is Mistake Number One. Asking Kirsty's domineering and contro
Linda Tilling
Only a 2* review for Do Not Disturb by Claire Douglas..

"After what happened in London, Kirsty needs a fresh start with her family, and running a guesthouse in the Welsh mountains sounds idyllic.
But then their first guest arrives, Selena is the last person Kirsty wants to see.
It's seventeen years since she tore everything apart.
Why has she chosen now to walk back into Kirsty's life?
Is Selena running from something too?
Or is there an even darker reason for her visit?
Because Kirsty knows that once
Trish at Between My Lines

This book is a slow starter. The tension builds chapter by chapter, but not a lot happens. Until suddenly everything happens, and then the book becomes a lot more gripping.

I wasn’t overly attached to the characters, so I think that’s why I was slow to really get into the book. I can’t put my finger on why, they were complex and felt realistic, but something just stopped me from overly caring for about half the book.

However once I got half way through, I hit my sweet spot, and suddenly
Nessa
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books-read
Having previously read Claire's other books, I couldn't wait to read this one.

This was absolutely riveting from the very first page and kept me enthralled right to the very end. It was something of a roller coaster ride with a lot of twists that you don't always see coming.

I loved the story plot, very well written and the characters were well thought out and highly believable. I literally read this book in two sittings, could not put it down.

• The Evidence Against You
  • Sleep
  • Your Closest Friend
  • No Further Questions
  • I Looked Away
  • I Made a Mistake
  • No Way Out (DI Adam Fawley, #3)
  • The Holiday
  • The Chosen Ones (DC Ian Bradshaw #4)
  • The Dead Ex
  • You Let Me In
  • The Promise (DS Imogen Grey #4)
  • The Party
  • Apple of My Eye
  • I Invited Her In
  • Keep Him Close
  • Beneath the Surface
  • The Fear
Claire Douglas always wanted to write novels and, after many years of trying to get published, her dream came true when she won the Marie Claire Debut Novel Award in 2013 with THE SISTERS.

Her second and third novels, LOCAL GIRL MISSING and LAST SEEN ALIVE (Penguin), are Sunday Times bestsellers.