Start by marking “Day of the Accident” as Want to Read:
Day of the Accident

Day of the Accident

They say you killed...But What If They're Wrong?

Sixty seconds after she wakes from a coma, Maggie's world is torn apart

The police tell her that her daughter Elspeth is dead. That she drowned when the car Maggie had been driving plunged into the river. Maggie remembers nothing.

When Maggie begs to see her husband Sean, the police tell her that he has disappeared. He was last
Expected publication: February 21st 2019 by Penguin Books UK

To ask other readers questions about Day of the Accident, please sign up.

Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

When Maggie wakes up from a coma, her whole life has changed. The nurse tells her that she has been in an accident, her little daughter is dead, and her husband sold the house and left her.
Maggie doesn’t remember a thing.

With no home, no family, and no memory, she has to find a way and discover what happened that day.

A thriller that will uncover the greatest of secrets everyone could have. A nail-biter, this one, I tell you.

The character of Ma
Pauline
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Day Of The Accident by Nuala Ellwood is a psychological thriller that had me hooked from the first page. I could not put it down and read it in one sitting.
Maggie wakes up in hospital after being in a coma for ten weeks to find out that she has been in an accident. She then learns that her daughter was killed in the accident and her husband has now left her and nobody can tell her where he has gone. Maggie has no memory of the accident and tries to put together the facts for her own peace of
Brenda
Maggie Allan woke in a hospital bed after being in a coma for ten weeks. She was weak, confused and light-headed. But when she was informed her daughter Elspeth had died in the car accident, Maggie was distraught and disbelieving. She had no recollection of what had happened – she needed to talk to Sean, her husband. But it seemed that he had vanished – the day after Elspeth’s funeral, he disappeared, completely. Maggie was alone in her grief...

As Maggie struggled to come to terms with what she
Gary
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nuala Ellwood is a new author to me but one to look out for in the future.
When Maggie awakes from a coma her world is shattered by the news that her daughter Elspeth is dead. That she drowned when the car Maggie had been driving plunged into the river. Maggie remembers nothing and when she asks to see her husband discovers that he disappeared the day after his daughters funeral.
I seem to reading a lot of psychological thrillers lately but this one is certainly up there with the better ones and w
Emma
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dull, dull, dull.

This is yet another sub-par psychological thriller with zero actual thrills and nothing new to offer. It’s obvious, overwrought, and unlikely. Her first book was excellent, this is not.

ARC via Netgalley

Nicki
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW and WOW again,I was so hooked in by this twist packed,roller coaster ride that I read the whole book in one day.

In the opening prologue Maggie is being led into a court room and we witness her enter her plea to a unknown crime.After that we slip back in time to the ICU of a hospital where we find Maggie just waking up after being in a coma.She eventually learns that she was involved in a accident,her ten year old daughter Elspeth is dead and Maggie's husband Sean has not been seen since the
Mandy White
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
What a twist... great book!
Amanda
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
What an intriguing start!!! Maggie’s daughter has died and her husband has disappeared without a trace. Maggie who has been in a comma is trying to recuperate and deal with her grief and memory loss from the night of the accident. This book drew me in from the start and kept me hooked, it is an emotional rollercoaster of a ride and very addictive!!
The letters from a child to her mother are heartbreaking, which will tug at anybody’s heart strings.

I thought I had it all worked out where this sto
Liz Barnsley

Vengeance and revenge

Pride and hurt

Pretense and real

Innocence and mature

What is true, what is false

One is memory, the other life

These are the lines which came into my mind when I finished reading this book. A psychological thriller turned emotional which started with Maggie in the ICU waking up from the coma and being told that her child Elspeth had drowned due to her mistake, and she herself was found to be a state of near drowning trying to save her daughter. Ad
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

I have conflicting feelings about this novel. On the one hand, it does intrigue and mystery well; I spent the first 2/3 of the book really intrigued as to what had actually happened on the day Maggie's daughter dies. However, I felt that the story was just a bit too unbelievable and unlikely. I didn't believe that a lot of it would actually happen, and although that doesn't necessarily mean I won't enjoy a book (I don't mind books that make me have to suspend b
Ingstje
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
An excellent novel! This is the second novel I read by Nuala Ellwood, the first being the absolutely amazing My Sister’s Bones. It’s so tricky to write a great sequel after such a debut but she pulled it off with great ease it seems, I wanted to keep on reading. The prologue alone is enough to draw you in, it opens with Maggie (Margaret) in court taking the stand and she’s determined to make things right now…

The story then cuts back to Maggie waking up in the hospital and being told her
Mark
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS A BOOK!!😃
In my top 5 of the year, so far

Maggie wales from a coma
She remembers little
Thankfully though she does remember she has a daughter, Elspeth and a husband Sean
Then she is told
There was an accident
Elspeth is dead
Sean hasnt been seen for 6 weeks, he just stopped visiting......

And so the hard hitting, tense story starts and doesnt stop
The narrative goes from present to the past and soon you realise that what seemed a normal happy family was anything but.....lies, secrets, nasty lies
Elaine Mullane
1.5 - 2 stars

A woman wakes up from a 10-week coma to learn she was involved in an accident that also claimed the life of her young daughter. Said woman remembers nothing. We've been here before, right?

The woman in question is Maggie. Her car plunged into a river during an accident and her daughter Elspeth drowned in the car. Maggie's husband is on the missing list; he was last seen at Elspeth's funeral. No one knows where he is, Maggie is utterly confused, and she has the strange inclination or
The Book Review Café
WOW I loved this book, such a gripping read review to follow early 2019
Jen
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

A brilliantly fascinating, multi-layered mystery that kept me hooked and guessing within a chapter.
Maggie has woken up from intensive care to find that her daughter, Elspeth, has drowned in the car that she had left her locked in but she can't remember a thing. Something isn't right - she was devoted to her daughter and Maggie is left with tantalising flashbacks that leave her confused and desperate.
I found this
River Scott Tyler
They say you killed...But What If They're Wrong?

Sixty seconds after she wakes from a coma, Maggie's world is torn apart

the police tell Maggie that her daughter Elspeth is dead. that she drowned when the car Maggie had been driving plunged into the river. Maggie remembers nothing not one thing about what happened the day of the accident but she has to find out what happened she needs to remember but it's not going to be easy..

When Maggie begs to see her husband Sean, the police tell her that he
Grace J Reviewerlady
Is Maggie losing her mind - or am I losing mine? That thought struck me more than once whilst racing through this riveting read!

Maggie wakes up in a hospital bed with no memory of how she got there. As she drifts in and out of consciousness, she discovers she's been in an coma for the last ten weeks following an accident during which her young daughter died. That's the first shock and there are many more to follow. But deep inside, Maggie doesn't feel that her daughter is dead - so which version
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After a terrible accident, Maggie wakes up in the hospital to find out she had been in a coma for nearly ten weeks. She also gets the devastating news that her daughter is dead. Maggie has no memory of that night. While dealing with the loss of her daughter and her memory, Maggie also finds out her husband disappeared and no one knows where he went. While Maggie tries to remember what happened on the night of her daughter's death, painful memories from her past start to surface.

I absolutely LOV
Rachel
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Day of the Accident by Nuala Ellwood

To get an understanding of what this review is based on, a little about me… I love a thriller. I thoroughly enjoy spotting the clues, looking for the hidden hint, and solving the whole thing before anyone else. Seriously, eight minutes in to The Sixth Sense, and I gave everything away to my unsuspecting, quickly annoyed, husband sat beside me. With ‘The Day of the Accident’ it took my until 82% through the book before I solved everything – then by 84% thro
Melinda Elizabeth
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it

Maggie wakes up from a coma 10 weeks after an accident she has no memory of. Her daughter died, and her husband has run away, selling everything up and leaving without a trace. Maggie is now reliant upon the kindness of strangers to get back on her feet, a mammoth task considering that her reason for being is gone.

Slowly as she starts to recover she begins to recall additional details about the accident, and with
Mary Lou
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Maggie wakes from a coma to find out that her daughter is dead, and her husband has disappeared. Weak and alone and suffering from loss of memory, she is desperate to remember what happened.
The Day of the accident is a well written debut psychological thriller. There are times when the action is difficult to follow as the novel moves before and after the accident, interspersed with letters written by an unknown.
There really is a lot going on, with Maggie’s obsession with Virginia Woolf, hints of
Latkins
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'd not read Nuala Ellwood's previous novel, but I was impressed by this one, so I must seek it out. Maggie wakes up in hospital after being in a coma for several weeks to discover that her life has been destroyed. Her beloved ten-year-old daughter Elspeth has died in the same accident which put her in hospital, and it was her fault. Her husband Sean has abandoned her, selling their house and leaving her with nothing. Put into temporary accommodation at a B&B, Maggie is determined to find ou ...more
Leila Benhamida
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sixty seconds after Maggie wakes from a coma, Maggie's world is torn apart. Her daughter died under suspicious and unknown circumstances and her husband completely dissapears.

I absolutely loved reading The Day Of The Accident. This is a mother worst nightmare not remembering what exactely happened the day her daughter or event worse that she may be responsible for her death.

The story progress at a nice pace and it is very emotional. There is also a great twist in the story that I did not see com
CrazyCat (Alex)
This was intense and a little disturbing and really good. Fast paced and very interesting, I couldn't stop reading and read this whole book in one sitting. There was so much going wrong in Maggie's life and also in Julia's that it was hard to read sometimes. The letters written by a child, hurting so much, made me want to cry. And, almost till the end, I hoped that there would be a happy ending for Maggie and Elspeth. And there was a ray of sunshine in the end, but just not like I expected. Real ...more
Susan Angela Wallace
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The day of the accident by Nualla Ellwood.
Maggie wakes up from a come in hospital   she has been in an accident. They say her daughter died in the car. Maggie is devastated.  Her daughter was her world. Sean her husband leaves and she doesn't know why? As she is recuperating strange things are happening.  A letter is by the door. She thinks it's from elspeth.  But she is dead isn't she?
Absolutely loved it.  An absolutely fantastic read. Very emotional.  Bought tears to my eyes. Loved Maggie. Wa
Susan
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Maggie awakes from a coma she is given the devastating news that her young daughter Elspeth drowned when Maggie’s car plunged into the river.
She is further distraught to know that her husband Sean has disappeared, last seen on the day of Elspeth’s funeral.
What actually happened that day though and why does Maggie have the feeling that her daughter is still alive?

What a read, I devoured this book in just a couple of sittings, the plot twists and turns and just when I thought I had it all sus
marjorie hall-venmore
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was so absorbed in this book I literally lost all track of time. I was hooked from page 1 the writing easy flows and before you know it your swipe along with this novel so fast. What caught my attention was not just how good the book was, it was also I had literally not put it down once. Hence losing time. I definitely recommend this novel absolutely awesome
Rhona139
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exciting and clever, this well written thriller will have you turning pages well into the night. It is exciting and moving as we follow Maggie as she wakes up to discover that her daughter is dead and her husband is missing and has been since their daughters funeral

A must read for those who enjoy this genre
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Nuala Ellwood is the daughter of an award-winning journalist. She was inspired by his experiences and those of foreign correspondents such as Marie Colvin and Martha Gellhorn to secure Arts Council funding for her research into PTSD for her debut psychological thriller MY SISTER’S BONES.