Start by marking “Day of the Accident” as Want to Read:
Day of the Accident

Day of the Accident

They say you killed...But What If They're Wrong?

Sixty seconds after she wakes from a coma, Maggie's world is torn apart

The police tell her that her daughter Elspeth is dead. That she drowned when the car Maggie had been driving plunged into the river. Maggie remembers nothing.

When Maggie begs to see her husband Sean, the police tell her that he has disappeared. He was last
Published February 21st 2019 by Penguin Books UK

To ask other readers questions about Day of the Accident, please sign up.

Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

When Maggie wakes up from a coma, her whole life has changed. The nurse tells her that she has been in an accident, her little daughter is dead, and her husband sold the house and left her.
Maggie doesn’t remember a thing.

With no home, no family, and no memory, she has to find a way and discover what happened that day.

A thriller that will uncover the greatest of secrets everyone could have. A nail-biter, this one, I tell you.

The character of Ma
Pauline
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Day Of The Accident by Nuala Ellwood is a psychological thriller that had me hooked from the first page. I could not put it down and read it in one sitting.
Maggie wakes up in hospital after being in a coma for ten weeks to find out that she has been in an accident. She then learns that her daughter was killed in the accident and her husband has now left her and nobody can tell her where he has gone. Maggie has no memory of the accident and tries to put together the facts for her own peace of
Louise Wilson
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Magpies world was torn apart when she wakes up from a coma to be told that her daughter Elspeth is dead. She had drowned in the car that Maggie had been driving, plunged into the river. Maggie has no memory of the accident. When Maggie asks where her husband Sean is, she is told by the police that he has disappeared. He went missing on the day of Elspeth's funeral.

Maggie has so many unanswered questions from how the accident happened to where her husband had disappeared to and everything in betw
Carolyn
Maggie has woken up after 10 days in a coma to find her whole world utterly changed forever. Her daughter Elspeth dead in an accident she is being blamed for, her house sold, her possessions gone and her husband disappeared. With no memory of how this all came about Maggie is forced to come to terms with suddenly losing her whole family and being sent back to the world penniless and homeless.

This is a very captivating thriller, one to keep the little grey cells working overtime, trying to work
Brenda
Maggie Allan woke in a hospital bed after being in a coma for ten weeks. She was weak, confused and light-headed. But when she was informed her daughter Elspeth had died in the car accident, Maggie was distraught and disbelieving. She had no recollection of what had happened – she needed to talk to Sean, her husband. But it seemed that he had vanished – the day after Elspeth’s funeral, he disappeared, completely. Maggie was alone in her grief...

As Maggie struggled to come to terms with what she
Gary
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nuala Ellwood is a new author to me but one to look out for in the future.
When Maggie awakes from a coma her world is shattered by the news that her daughter Elspeth is dead. That she drowned when the car Maggie had been driving plunged into the river. Maggie remembers nothing and when she asks to see her husband discovers that he disappeared the day after his daughters funeral.
I seem to reading a lot of psychological thrillers lately but this one is certainly up there with the better ones and w
Emma
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dull, dull, dull.

This is yet another sub-par psychological thriller with zero actual thrills and nothing new to offer. It’s obvious, overwrought, and unlikely. Her first book was excellent, this is not.

ARC via Netgalley

Mackey
I absolutely loved My Sister's Bones, the debut psychological thriller by Nuala Ellwood, so when I saw that she had a new book coming out, I jumped at the chance to read and review it. I was not disappointed. Rarely do I come across a second book by an author that is as good as the first - there seems to be a block regarding those second outings - but Ellwood surprised me with Day of the Accident

Moments after Maggie wakes from a coma, her world is shattered when she is told that her daughter wa
Lou
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Day of the Accident is Nuala Ellwood's second novel, and after loving My Sister's Bones I was apprehensive about delving into this in case it was suffering from a bad case of second book syndrome; I needn't have worried though as this is even better than her first book. The whole plot concept revolves around the consequences of a car accident in which Maggie starts to suffer from amnesia and can't seem to tell perception from reality anymore; this makes for a thrilling and intensely absorbing ta ...more
Nicki
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW and WOW again,I was so hooked in by this twist packed,roller coaster ride that I read the whole book in one day.

In the opening prologue Maggie is being led into a court room and we witness her enter her plea to a unknown crime.After that we slip back in time to the ICU of a hospital where we find Maggie just waking up after being in a coma.She eventually learns that she was involved in a accident,her ten year old daughter Elspeth is dead and Maggie's husband Sean has not been seen since the
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
c36493e4-2cb7-4501-909f-7656799521b4._CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970__.jpg

Oh My: this book was just so good.
I was hooked and invested from the very instance I started this journey and what a ride this was.
The basic premise here: Maggie wakes up from a coma after an accident that has left her daughter dead.
The car slipped into the river after the handbrake wasn't engaged properly and despite Maggies best efforts Elspeth drowns and is pronounced dead at the scene.
When Maggie eventually gains consciousness her daughter's funeral has past and her husband is missing.
To fur
Mandy White
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
What a twist... great book!
Shalini
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Regrets and losses
Truth and lies
Vengeance and revenge
Pride and hurt
Pretense and real
Innocence and mature
What is true, what is false
One is memory, the other life

These are the lines which came into my mind when I finished reading this book. A psychological thriller turned emotional which started with Maggie in the ICU waking up from the coma and being told that her child Elspeth had drowned due to her mistake, and she herself was found to be a state of near drowning trying to save her daughter. Ad
Amanda
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
What an intriguing start!!! Maggie’s daughter has died and her husband has disappeared without a trace. Maggie who has been in a comma is trying to recuperate and deal with her grief and memory loss from the night of the accident. This book drew me in from the start and kept me hooked, it is an emotional rollercoaster of a ride and very addictive!!
The letters from a child to her mother are heartbreaking, which will tug at anybody’s heart strings.

I thought I had it all worked out where this sto
Janel
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Isn’t it fantastic when an author carries all that was great from their previous novel into their next novel? It’s the very thing that allows you, as the reader, to recognise their work, to get to know their style, and I think that’s what essentially keeps you returning to an author’s work, these assurances. Now, I don’t mean repetition in plot, I mean repetition in skill! When I read Ellwood’s previous novel, My Sister’s Bones, I loved the dark themes running through the plot, the feelings of u ...more
Sherri Thacker
This book was a little slow at times but I kept plugging along and I wanted to see how it ended. It picked up at about 65% and then I couldn’t put it down. So many unexpected things came to the surface that I ended up really liking this book. 4 stars.
Trish at Between My Lines

Well I did a 360 degree turnaround on my opinion of this book.

I started off disliking it, as it's written in the present tense and I find that annoying to read. The only reason that I continued is that I had really enjoyed the author's previous book, so I wanted to give this one every chance.

Lucky I did!

I ended up loving the plot. I had ZERO idea what was actually going on, and I was totally baffled by the events. In a great way, as it meant I couldn't put the book down. The plot and th
Liz Barnsley
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Review to follow.
Joanna Park
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Day of The Accident was a fast paced, gripping read that was incredibly hard to put down.

The story is very well written and I felt intrigued from the start by the mysterious circumstances surrounding the day of the accident. I found I had to keep reading as I had to find out the truth.

Maggie was an interesting main character that I kept changing my opinion on. On one hand I did feel very sorry for her as one of my kids going missing is my worst nightmare. Her fear and concern for them was almost
The Book Review Café
WOW I loved this book, such a gripping read review to follow early 2019
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

I have conflicting feelings about this novel. On the one hand, it does intrigue and mystery well; I spent the first 2/3 of the book really intrigued as to what had actually happened on the day Maggie's daughter dies. However, I felt that the story was just a bit too unbelievable and unlikely. I didn't believe that a lot of it would actually happen, and although that doesn't necessarily mean I won't enjoy a book (I don't mind books that make me have to suspend b
Mark
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS A BOOK!!😃
In my top 5 of the year, so far

Maggie wales from a coma
She remembers little
Thankfully though she does remember she has a daughter, Elspeth and a husband Sean
Then she is told
There was an accident
Elspeth is dead
Sean hasnt been seen for 6 weeks, he just stopped visiting......

And so the hard hitting, tense story starts and doesnt stop
The narrative goes from present to the past and soon you realise that what seemed a normal happy family was anything but.....lies, secrets, nasty lies
Charlotte Burt
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It has some wonderful plot twists that I didn't anticipate at all.
Elaine Mullane
1.5 - 2 stars

A woman wakes up from a 10-week coma to learn she was involved in an accident that also claimed the life of her young daughter. Said woman remembers nothing. We've been here before, right?

The woman in question is Maggie. Her car plunged into a river during an accident and her daughter Elspeth drowned in the car. Maggie's husband is on the missing list; he was last seen at Elspeth's funeral. No one knows where he is, Maggie is utterly confused, and she has the strange inclination or
Ingstje
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
An excellent novel! This is the second novel I read by Nuala Ellwood, the first being the absolutely amazing My Sister’s Bones. It’s so tricky to write a great sequel after such a debut but she pulled it off with great ease it seems, I wanted to keep on reading. The prologue alone is enough to draw you in, it opens with Maggie (Margaret) in court taking the stand and she’s determined to make things right now…

The story then cuts back to Maggie waking up in the hospital and being told her
David Duran
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A light and fast-paced thriller that captivates the reader from start to finish. However, you could deduce the turn of events from half the book and the ending was quite cliche. I didn't know the author, but I will definitely keep track of her in the future.
Alexis
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Maggie wakes up to find that she has been in a terrible accident. The doctor's weren't sure that she would survive. She learns that her young daughter was killed in the accident, and her husband has disappeared. Maggie is left alone, with nowhere to live, no possessions, and the worst part is she remembers nothing about the day of the accident. She doesn't know why she and her daughter Elspeth were in the car that night or where they were going. But she knows she must find out; it's all she care ...more
Julie Lacey
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant book which had me hooked from the first few pages.
Maggie wakes up in hospital to discover that her daughter is dead and her husband has left her.
Social services help her find a place to live to get her back on her feet but Maggie is really struggling to understand how her daughter died.
The night of the accident is a blank at first then Maggie gets a few flashbacks.
Julia, a local GP offers her help and soon her panic attacks are under control.
This book delves into Maggie’
Margaret
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Three stars for keeping me guessing throughout the book , and it was an easy read! But I m afraid it is way below her first novel. Here we have lots of empty lives , lots of inadequate, almost criminal, parenting couples lots of dysfunctional heroes. Although I had a good time while reading it,In the end I felt sort of deceived .
peggy
Maggie wakes from a coma and nothing will ever be the same again. There has been a car accident, her husband has left her and her daughter is dead.
Maggie needs to remember what happened on that fateful day. Who else was there and WHY? Maggie has a secret from when she was a teenager and what has her secret got to do with the day of the accident.
I devoured this book in one sitting. This is an excellent psychological thriller and an easy five stars. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
I would like the author, P
  • Sleep
  • Dirty Little Secrets
  • No Way Out (DI Adam Fawley, #3)
  • Why Seagulls Roost in Paris
  • Dead Girls
  • One Click
  • Twisted
  • The Killing Game
  • Little Bones (Cathy Connolly, #1)
  • My Name is Anna
Nuala Ellwood is the daughter of an award-winning journalist. She was inspired by his experiences and those of foreign correspondents such as Marie Colvin and Martha Gellhorn to secure Arts Council funding for her research into PTSD for her debut psychological thriller MY SISTER’S BONES.