Start by marking “Girl Town” as Want to Read:
Girl Town

Girl Town

Multi-award-winning cartoonist Carolyn Nowak (Lumberjanes) finds powerful truths in fantasy worlds. Her stunning solo debut collection celebrates the ascent of a rising star in comics.

Diana got hurt—a lot—and she's decided to deal with this fact by purchasing a life-sized robot boyfriend. Mary and La-La host a podcast about a movie no one's ever seen. Kelly has dragged her
Published November 6th 2018 by Top Shelf Productions (first published October 10th 2018)

Start your review of Girl Town
Ariel
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
AS ALWAYS, how do you rate an anthology?! I loved two of the stories, loved to bits and think the collection is totally worth picking up just for those two stories (Radishes and Diana's Electric Tongue) but I felt very luke warm about the other 3 stories (which as it worked out were the shortest). Will absolutely be picking up more stuff from Carolyn Nowak!!
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was just a little too weird for my tastes 😕 womp.
David Schaafsma
A collection of mini-comics from Ann Arbor cartoonist Carolyn Nowak, and from the title yu might guess that it is woman-centric, women of all shapes, sizes, and colors. She’s trying a variety of things. “Radishes” features two friends who eat magic radishes and produce temporary clones of themselves, with a touching twist ending. The podcast story is too busy, too much going on.

But “Diana’s Electric Tongue” is the best of the bunch, in part because it is suprising. It features a woman who buys
Ian
I don't read a lot of sequential art fiction, maybe a half dozen a year. Honestly, I want to be blown away but I'm usually left feeling a little disappointed. Not so here.

Girl Town is brillant!

I have a general boycott in place on any book that refers to women as "girls" in the title but after looking at the sample on Amazon I knew I would be making an exception.

If I could give this book 10 Stars, I would.

description
Melki
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh, like I'd be able to resist a cover featuring a gal wearing only a shirt and panties climbing out of the sewer . . . or is she climbing into the sewer? I had to know.

Unfortunately, you don't find out within the pages of this book.

But, I still enjoyed it. Likable characters, and stories with just the right amount of quirkiness - made my heart go zing.

The award-winning tales, Radishes and Diana's Electric Tongue were undoubtedly the best of the bunch, though I was also pretty fond of the tit
Diane
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This is a clever collection of comics by Carolyn Nowark. Because each of the stories has an element of fantasy, the reader can never be sure what will happen next.

My two favorite stories in this collection were "Diana's Electric Tongue," which is about a woman who orders a male robot as a companion, and "Radishes," which follows two young women who visit a magical river market.

A few of the pieces were uneven, but overall I liked this anthology of Nowark's work and look forward to reading more f
Rod Brown
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Nowak is a talent to watch, even if this book was a little disappointing for me. Though there were many interesting moments and characters, the short stories collected here didn't feel complete or satisfying. I think I would have enjoyed them more as middle chapters of longer works.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This was so bizarre and boring and I just kind of hated it. The robot boyfriend story was almost redeeming enough for 2 stars... almost.
Eleni Ouzouni (Life is Art)
We read a collection of short stories where nothing really happen 🤔 Some of this stories felt unfinished, two of them I really liked!!! I wanted to love it but it was too weird for my tastes... ☹️
Krista Regester
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Worth it, even if only for the robot boyfriend sketch<3 ...more
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
A strange and delightful queer feminist collection of comics short stories. The titular/1st story was actually my least favourite, so I'm glad I kept reading after that. Two girls go to a fantasy market and find mysterious food allowing them to truly look at themselves. A woman sad about a breakup buys a robot boyfriend. Two friends discuss via podcast a cult 90s movie of which they have possibly the only copy of. Authentic, complex portraits of women.
Jay G
Oct 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

1.5/5 Stars

This is a collection of short comics following a group of girls.

I don't even know how to give this book a synopsis because I am so confused with what was happening. All the stories just felt unfinished and all over the place... Not a fan.
Hannah Garden
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, april-2019
Awwwwww I’m so sorry I have to come chop all your fingers off if you gave this book less than five stars :{ :{ :{

Jk you deserve it you damn monster

This book is perfect! Perfecto. Le perfecto. Truly I am dazzled charmed and wowed.
Andrew
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
In addition to the usual blurbs from critics and fellow cartoonists, the inside cover of this book features praise from short story master Kelly Link. Once you read the comics here, you'll understand why. Nowak shares Link's knack for stories that exist in slightly askew versions of our world (note how the fashion and technology in these comics look just a little bit different than you'd expect). She also shares Link's knack for compelling characters and ambiguous endings. Nowak's comics lure yo ...more
Kayleighhokis
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5. Missed opportunity in my opinion. Art was cool but stories were vitriolic and often times essentially pointless... lots of various representation in the art depictions though, hence the round up.
Sharon
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this six stars I would. I love Carolyn Nowak’s comics so much.
Macklin R
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some of the stories felt unfinished, and some were definitely stronger than others. However, I really liked the vibe of this anthology.
Zedsdead
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
A small collection of graphic short stories, each featuring young women just being young women. As usual for anthologies, it's a mixed bag.

Girl Town--A meandering series of unremarkable, uninteresting occurrences. It starts nowhere, pauses after nothing happens for a while, and then fails to pick up where it left off. I almost wrote the book off after reading this. 1 star.

Radishes--Two friends play hooky to explore a boardwalk and find a magic snack stand. Each food does something minorly amazin
Danika at The Lesbrary
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a weird and wonderful book. This a collection of comic short stories, which differ in characters and style, but have a similar vibe of women’s complicated relationships with each other, and a general sense of unease and yearning. With beginning lines like “I have lived with Ashley and Jolene since we all got kicked out of astronaut school for being too good-looking to be sent to space,” Girl Town wastes no time in introducing you to a world that’s one step out of sync with our own, while st ...more
Beth
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5. It's like a small collection of short stories where nothing really happens but in a nice way. The art is really nice and it's quite possible she intentionally referenced the painting/meme "Truth Coming Out of Her Well to Shame Mankind" in the cover art. I skipped the podcast story cause there were too many words. But I really liked that a lot of the time they were really normal settings but kind of unusual and a little bit sci-fi or something, but not in a way that was central to the story. ...more
Jae
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didnt realized this was a collection of mini comics, but they’re all good, all weird, and all do that short story thing I like where they hint at a deeper back story but don’t reveal too much and leave you hanging.
Francina Simone
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Cool
Mya
Carolyn Nowak creates FANTASTIC work. This is a collection of her mini comics that come together to make you love, love, love every minute. It celebrates women of all shapes, sizes, and colors. It's hilarious, and it's heartwarming. And the stories "Radishes" and "Diana's Electric Tongue" will WRECK you.
Jess
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I had trouble finding the meaning in these stories. More just left me going, "wait, what?"

The art style was really cool though.
Adam M
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hoopla-app
I may have to read this again at some point and re-evaluate how I feel about it. This is a series of short comics that all look and feel like they belong in a Zine somewhere. I read it to intentionally read something different and something I might not normally see. Parts of this were really entertaining and interesting. Some of it was so bizarrely disjointed I lost focus. I wish I could rate this higher, but in terms of just layout and readability there was 1 story I had to skip all together be ...more
Ivy_Lost_inside_Pages
I really enjoyed this graphic novel which has five short stories in it. Special the drawings I really liked it. It’s such a modern kind of GN, the stories are sometimes a bit rough to get but if so, you just reread it ...Nowack has a good style and there is not really a mainstream drawn character. For me close to 4 🌿
Stephanie (aka WW)
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
(3.75 stars)
This is a collection of shorts centered around women, which are well-done if not consistently strong. I really enjoyed two of the stories, including the main one which features a humanoid “lover” purchased by a character who is reeling from a break-up. If what is in this book is excerpts from larger stories, which I believe is the case, I will be looking out for these two favorites of mine.
Annie ⚜️
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
What the hell did I just read? Okay, maybe I just don't get this genre but I keep thinking graphic novels are such a great idea! I didn't realize this was a series of shorts when I picked it up. I liked the Radish story a lot but this overall just wasn't for me. Oh and the illustrations were pretty cool.
Kathleen
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Weird and full of lesbians: just how I like my indie comics.

Joking aside, this is a great book. Each short story is witty, emotional, and well crafted. Nowak's art style means that the characters are easily distinguished, coming in a realistic assortment of body types and skin tones. Naturally, I was partial to the robot story, but all of them were pretty good.

I highly recommend this book to readers of strange comics.
Melissa
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 out of 4. I really liked the two center stories, “Radishes” and “Diana’s Electric Tongue.” The others felt a bit unfinished in places. Definitely a collection that fits in with Kelly Link, Sofia Samatar, Carmen Maria Machado, and Anjali Sachdeva, only sequential art instead of prose.

Part of my second Book Riot TBR/Pigeon recommendations and read for the graphic novel book group at my store.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »