Start by marking “Girl Town” as Want to Read:
Girl Town

Girl Town

Multi-award-winning cartoonist Carolyn Nowak (Lumberjanes) finds powerful truths in fantasy worlds. Her stunning solo debut collection celebrates the ascent of a rising star in comics.

Diana got hurt—a lot—and she's decided to deal with this fact by purchasing a life-sized robot boyfriend. Mary and La-La host a podcast about a movie no one's ever seen. Kelly has dragged her
Published November 6th 2018 by Top Shelf Productions (first published October 10th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Girl Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl Town

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was just a little too weird for my tastes 😕 womp.
David Schaafsma
A collection of mini-comics from Ann Arbor cartoonist Carolyn Nowak, and from the title yu might guess that it is woman-centric, women of all shapes, sizes, and colors. She’s trying a variety of things. “Radishes” features two friends who eat magic radishes and produce temporary clones of themselves, with a touching twist ending. The podcast story is too busy, too much going on.

But “Diana’s Electric Tongue” is the best of the bunch, in part because it is suprising. It features a woman who buys
Ian
I don't read a lot of sequential art fiction, maybe a half dozen a year. Honestly, I want to be blown away but I'm usually left feeling a little disappointed. Not so here.

Girl Town is brillant!

I have a general boycott in place on any book that refers to women as "girls" in the title but after looking at the sample on Amazon I knew I would be making an exception.

If I could give this book 10 Stars, I would.

description
Rod Brown
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Nowak is a talent to watch, even if this book was a little disappointing for me. Though there were many interesting moments and characters, the short stories collected here didn't feel complete or satisfying. I think I would have enjoyed them more as middle chapters of longer works.
Kayleighhokis
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5. Missed opportunity in my opinion. Art was cool but stories were vitriolic and often times essentially pointless... lots of various representation in the art depictions though, hence the round up.
Rachel Macklin
Some of the stories felt unfinished, and some were definitely stronger than others. However, I really liked the vibe of this anthology.
Melki
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh, like I'd be able to resist a cover featuring a gal wearing only a shirt and panties climbing out of the sewer . . . or is she climbing into the sewer? I had to know.

Unfortunately, you don't find out within the pages of this book.

But, I still enjoyed it. Likable characters, and stories with just the right amount of quirkiness - made my heart go zing.

The award-winning tales, Radishes and Diana's Electric Tongue were undoubtedly the best of the bunch, though I was also pretty fond of the tit
Jae
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didnt realized this was a collection of mini comics, but they’re all good, all weird, and all do that short story thing I like where they hint at a deeper back story but don’t reveal too much and leave you hanging.
Sharon
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this six stars I would. I love Carolyn Nowak’s comics so much.
Andrew
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
In addition to the usual blurbs from critics and fellow cartoonists, the inside cover of this book features praise from short story master Kelly Link. Once you read the comics here, you'll understand why. Nowak shares Link's knack for stories that exist in slightly askew versions of our world (note how the fashion and technology in these comics look just a little bit different than you'd expect). She also shares Link's knack for compelling characters and ambiguous endings. Nowak's comics lure yo ...more
Zedsdead
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
A small collection of graphic short stories, each featuring young women just being young women. As usual for anthologies, it's a mixed bag.

Girl Town--A meandering series of unremarkable, uninteresting occurrences. It starts nowhere, pauses after nothing happens for a while, and then fails to pick up where it left off. I almost wrote the book off after reading this. 1 star.

Radishes--Two friends play hooky to explore a boardwalk and find a magic snack stand. Each food does something minorly amazin
Beth
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5. It's like a small collection of short stories where nothing really happens but in a nice way. The art is really nice and it's quite possible she intentionally referenced the painting/meme "Truth Coming Out of Her Well to Shame Mankind" in the cover art. I skipped the podcast story cause there were too many words. But I really liked that a lot of the time they were really normal settings but kind of unusual and a little bit sci-fi or something, but not in a way that was central to the story. ...more
Mya Alexice
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Carolyn Nowak creates FANTASTIC work. This is a collection of her mini comics that come together to make you love, love, love every minute. It celebrates women of all shapes, sizes, and colors. It's hilarious, and it's heartwarming. And the stories "Radishes" and "Diana's Electric Tongue" will WRECK you.
Danika at The Lesbrary
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a weird and wonderful book. This a collection of comic short stories, which differ in characters and style, but have a similar vibe of women’s complicated relationships with each other, and a general sense of unease and yearning. With beginning lines like “I have lived with Ashley and Jolene since we all got kicked out of astronaut school for being too good-looking to be sent to space,” Girl Town wastes no time in introducing you to a world that’s one step out of sync with our own, while st ...more
Hannah Garden
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: april-2019, comics
Awwwwww I’m so sorry I have to come chop all your fingers off if you gave this book less than five stars :{ :{ :{

Jk you deserve it you damn monster

This book is perfect! Perfecto. Le perfecto. Truly I am dazzled charmed and wowed.
Stephanie (aka WW)
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
(3.75 stars)
This is a collection of shorts centered around women, which are well-done if not consistently strong. I really enjoyed two of the stories, including the main one which features a humanoid “lover” purchased by a character who is reeling from a break-up. If what is in this book is excerpts from larger stories, which I believe is the case, I will be looking out for these two favorites of mine.
Annie ⚜️
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
What the hell did I just read? Okay, maybe I just don't get this genre but I keep thinking graphic novels are such a great idea! I didn't realize this was a series of shorts when I picked it up. I liked the Radish story a lot but this overall just wasn't for me. Oh and the illustrations were pretty cool.
Kathleen
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Weird and full of lesbians: just how I like my indie comics.

Joking aside, this is a great book. Each short story is witty, emotional, and well crafted. Nowak's art style means that the characters are easily distinguished, coming in a realistic assortment of body types and skin tones. Naturally, I was partial to the robot story, but all of them were pretty good.

I highly recommend this book to readers of strange comics.
Melissa
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 out of 4. I really liked the two center stories, “Radishes” and “Diana’s Electric Tongue.” The others felt a bit unfinished in places. Definitely a collection that fits in with Kelly Link, Sofia Samatar, Carmen Maria Machado, and Anjali Sachdeva, only sequential art instead of prose.

Part of my second Book Riot TBR/Pigeon recommendations and read for the graphic novel book group at my store.
Dakota Morgan
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Carolyn Nowak skillfully sets up several interesting stories in Girl Town, then forgets to add endings. "Diana's Electric Tongue" and "Please Sleep Over" are otherwise well-crafted stand-outs that lack conclusions. "Radish" is perhaps the best story and the most appealing, with its bright colors and pleasant characters. It's short and sweet and actually has an ending. "Girl Town" was too out there - kind of disappointing that it's the story the collection is named after. "The Big Burning House" ...more
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Excellent. An amazing blend of weird, touching, and scathing. Carolyn is an exemplary creator.
Nore
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Aw, I really liked this. A collection of tales about women, mostly about their relationships with each other, platonic or not; the art was cute, the characters mostly felt 3D despite the short time devoted to each story, and honestly, I related well to what each story had to say. In particular, I'd read an entire collection expanding on Diana's Electric Tongue - I found the worldbuilding and the story interesting. Girl Town was my second favorite; if it had been a bit longer, it might have won o ...more
tinaathena
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked all of them but the podcast story which I just had a hard time following. Diana's Electric Tongue was really fun and great but quite tender.
Samantha Cozort
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Diana’s Electric Tongue” was my favorite. Some of these mini-comics were weird but still pretty hilarious in some parts. Captured a lot of sadness and longing.
Bryan
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome collection of short graphic stories. I know I've fallen in love with a story/book that when I get to the ending I'm disappointed that it is just that...the ending. I'd love to see continuations to all 5 of the stories in this collection. All of the stories in this collection were slightly different plot-wise, but all had the theme of friendship/bonding to them. Also, I'm a huge fan of "cutesy" artwork and her style tends to be on that side. Another genre I'm very fond of is low fantasy o ...more
Morgan
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved every moment of this, it was just so so so good. Also I cried at Radishes, so that happened.
Sharon
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Short story collections can be uneven, as this one certainly is. "Radishes" is great, the rest so-so. Most felt unfinished. The cartoonish art is good but the stories feel flat.
Jess
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I had trouble finding the meaning in these stories. More just left me going, "wait, what?"

The art style was really cool though.
Romany
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this is interesting and deserves a closer look. The drawings are particularly lush.
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, lgbtq, graphic-novel

A collection of surrealist stories, many with a queer bent to them. I never knew what to expect, but a couple of the stories resonated with my own past experiences and insecurities. "Radishes" stands out as a magical examination of a girl's own insecurities with her body. Sometimes I wish I could hug myself and say, "I'm sorry" as well. We're always the most judgmental and critical of ourselves, perpetuated by societal expectations. What was most telling? Even though the main character'
  • Shattered Warrior
  • Luisa: Ici et là
  • O Human Star, Volume One
  • Les aigles de Rome, Livre I
  • Iron Man Noir
  • Tu, sanguinosa infanzia
  • Yes, Roya
  • Heathen Volume 1 (Heathen, Volume #1)
  • Hawkeye: Kate Bishop, Vol. 3: Family Reunion
  • The Lagoon
  • Heavy Vinyl, Vol. 1
  • Boundless
  • Hawkeye #11
  • Giant Days Vol. 8 (Giant Days, #8)