Start by marking “This Is What It Feels Like” as Want to Read:
This Is What It Feels Like

This Is What It Feels Like

It doesn’t matter what the prize for the Sun City Originals contest is this year.

Who cares that’s it’s fifteen grand? Who cares about a gig opening for one of the greatest bands to ever play this town?

Not Dia, that’s for sure. Because Dia knows that without a band, she hasn’t got a shot at winning Sun City. Because ever since Hanna’s drinking took over her life, Dia and Ju
Published November 6th 2018 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about This Is What It Feels Like, please sign up.
Amanda Goodreads is not a site for reading books. If you want to read the books, you would have to purchase it or I recommend checking with your local…moreGoodreads is not a site for reading books. If you want to read the books, you would have to purchase it or I recommend checking with your local library.(less)

Erin
Now Available

I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. Special thanks to Harper Collins Publishing & Rececca Barrow.

"This is what it feels like to be alive"

Rebecca Barrow is Black Girl Magic and her book This Is What It Feels Like a fantastic read. I almost didn't even enter the giveaway for this book because it didn't sound like something that would interest me. A book about 3 teenage girls in a Rock Group entering a Rock Contest. I don't listen to Rock music and don't care about it at al
Elise (TheBookishActress)
every time I think about this book's release I feel better. this is such a soft and aestheticy cover. sapphic band girls are such a nice concept. it's just very soft okay
Acqua
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This Is What It Feels Like is a story about recovery.
I have read many stories about mentally ill main characters and characters going through trauma, but I know very few stories that talk about what happens afterward. What happens when you're not an addict anymore, what happens when you finally get out of a toxic situation.
Not only this is a story about recovery, it's a story about recovery in which the romance, while present, is not the reason the main characters get better.

This Is Wh
Faith Simon
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is literally the perfect summer read and I read it a month before summer but that's fine. Whenever I wasn't reading this, all I wanted to do was pick it back up and read where I'd left off. This is a beautiful story about friendship, grief, love, healthy/toxic relationships, and so much more. This book covers a variety of topics, but it never feels like it's juggling all these things into one storyline, it all feels seamless. All these different plot points connect and compliment each other ...more
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Yet another book i read this month that owns my ass. And it's sapphic too. So like, i'm living my best life.

RTC!
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Video Review

This Is What It Feels Like is a really wonderful YA Contemporary, that has so many topics and issues packed into it.

At the centre of the story are three girls, Hanna, Jules and Dia. The three were in a band for a long time but then two years before this story starts, a lot of things happened in their lives and they stopped making music together. The friendship between the three of them took a toll as well, although Jules and Dia remained best friends.
Jules is a lesbian and her
Katie.dorny
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This was a beautiful contemporary read that was so soft with normalised sapphic love and I adored this.
This story didn’t break any new ground but it was wholesome, honest and so well written; tackling many topics without trivialising any and the character development was truly 10/10 and didn’t feel like a ‘young’ young adult novel which made me love it more.
Iris
Wow. This book was not at all what I was expecting. I picked up this book expecting fluff, and friendship, and music, and maybe a cute romance. While I certainly got friendship and music and a cute romance or two, there was also so much more to this book. And while there were a few fluffy scenes... this book was definitely not entirely (or even mostly) fluff.

So many layers. So much pain and heartbreak, but also so much hope. Relationships that were ultimately good, but also really messy.

There wa
Rachel Strolle
IF Y'ALL SLEEP ON THIS I'M CANCELLING YOU BECAUSE REBECCA BARROW WRITES PERFECT BOOKS
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
I had absolutely no interest in this and could not focus, which is a shame because it has the potential to be at least a 4 star read for me, but my enjoyment was maybe a 2. This is probably one of the elusive DNF books that I’ll consider picking up again sometime in the future because I desperately want to like this but I don’t know if the timing was off or I’m just in a rut of perpetual 2 star and under books. This is a case of it’s not the book, it’s me. So put no weight on this review, it’s j ...more
Marie
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-releases, arcs
This was such a fantastic read. I loved the focus on friendship, loved the characters and their growth thorough the book, the romantic relationships were adorable, too. Definitely recommend it!!

Read my full review of This is what it feels like on the blog.

A million thanks to my incredible bookish fairy Laura for sending me her ARC of this book <3

My Blog - Drizzle & Hurricane Books - Twitter - Bloglovin'
Danika at The Lesbrary
Who doesn’t love a “getting the band back together” book, especially when it’s literal? . . . The three of them have a lot to work through, but I was relieved to see that they do talk about their problems. They air their grievances in a reasonable time frame–this isn’t one of those “Why don’t they just talk??” books where the only conflict is miscommunication. The problem is that they have a lot to work through, and it takes time, and more than just one conversation. They have to keep bumping up ...more
Laura (bbliophile)
I loved this so so so so so much
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Honestly... I just saw this cover and ran to Goodreads as fast as I could to add it to my TBR because, well, LOOK AT IT. <3
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Loooooooooved this. There aren't nearly enough books about second chance friendships and this was amazing.
Michelle
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My full review can be found on the Epilie Aspie Chick blog!

Thank you to HarperCollins Publishing for providing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Musical fame can be a real double edged sword - just look at the news. As soon as you gain popularity, it gets far too easy to become trapped into the pitfalls of alcoholism, drug addiction, and a far too inflated ago. Its this type of problem that causes our three leads Hanna, Dia, and Jules to go their separate ways.

This one starts out rea
Cathy
To everyone sitting in their bedrooms in the 2am stillness,
listening to that song that makes your heart ache.

That is a good dedication.

I liked this. In that way where you know you're reading a good story, but it'll never be a story/book that you completely love. It was fine, but it's not necessarily something I would recommend in a "you MUST read this now!" kind of way.

I did love how the focus of the story was not on all of the bullshit the three girls had gone through in the past, but rather on
Mary Kate
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, contemporary
This is such a fun read! Each of the main characters is incredibly well-drawn--the author was able to capture the unique personalities and struggles of each girl so well. I liked the romances in this book, but the best thing was how the friendships are the most important relationships here -- the romances are really more side plots. Not enough YA does this. I also love how Rebecca is able to take complex, heavy stuff -- death, addiction, heartbreak -- have the characters go through it, and ultim ...more
sanj
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To everyone sitting in their bedrooms in the 2am stillness,
listening to that song that makes your heart ache.

So I didn’t have any expectations going into this, and its one of those moments where I liked going in blind because it pleasantly surprised me and I mean that in regards to the emotional aspect of this story.

All you need to know is that this follows a set of 3 best friends who were once in a band and they reconnect through music. This is what it feel's like is about how each girl finds
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Three life changing events caused their friendship to crumble, but when the opportunity of a lifetime presents itself, will Dia, Jules, and Hanna be able to overcome their past in order to forge their future?

• Pro: The characters in this book were dealing with a lot of life issues. Some were small and some were LARGE, but watching them navigate these rough patches, and seeing them learn and grow was so gratifying for me.

• Pro: What stood out to me was the friendship between Dia
Savanna Waddle
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
messy, realistic, beautiful girls. girl power friendships. music.
already one of my favorite reads of 2019.
Diana
It's not overstating things to say that I'm obsessed with this book. Rebecca Barrow's sophomore offering has more of what we all loved about You Don't Know Me but I Know You (intense female friendships! familial Realness! queer girls of color!), dialed up with creative heartbreak, resilient dreams, and rainbow-haired swooniness. If you love girl bands, this book is for you. If you can't resist resourceful, even-keeled Mom Friends finally getting the big dramatic kiss with a dreamboat, this book ...more
Rachel
This review was first published on my blog In Between Book Pages. ARC was provided by the publisher through Edelweiss.

Three young women – former friends and bandmates – must put aside their difference to join a band showdown. Author Rebecca Barrow tells a story about forgiveness, rekindled friendships and of young women coming into their own in her sophomore offering, This is What it Feels Like.

This is What it Feels Like was one of the first books I got approved for on Edelweiss when I started r
Janelle Dazzlepants
CW: alcoholism

I love these messy girls! They’re real, they’re super flawed, and they're VOICEY - no bland Mary Sues here!

This book deals with so many complex themes. Hanna is a recovering alcoholic dealing with strict parents and burned bridges. Jules is learning to love after emerging from a toxic relationship. And Dia is a teenage mother who is struggling to let go of her deceased boyfriend. All this is set against a failed band and their plans to enter a talent search competition.

It’s so re
HM
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One if my friends has been talking up a storm about this one, so I knew I had to get my hands on a copy. SO HAPPY I DID! What a great read—female friendships and growing up are at the heart of THIS IS WHAT IT FEELS LIKE, and I loved it so, so much. Also a w|w couple !!!! We stan good LGBT rep
Lulu (the library leopard)
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-review
Ahhhhhhh I loved this SO MUCH!

This book has a lot of good things in it, like complicated female friendship, recovery-focused characters arcs, and a dog named Waffles. You can read my full review on my blog here!
USOM
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think it's pretty much common knowledge that multiple perspective novels will get me every time. But combine that with three former best friends, memories, struggles with teen motherhood and addiction? And you've got me hooked. This is the kind of book where you immediately finish it and look up everything else the author, Barrow, has ever written. There's just such a fantastic progression of story, compelling characters, and diversity that makes you need to read more books.

full review: https:
N (they/them)
3 stars
TW: substance abuse/addiction, death
Rep: black lesbian MC, f/f romance, brown teen mom MC, recovering alcoholic MC

The Writing
I honestly can't remember much about the writing. It really didn't stand out ot me?? I was able to read this book really quickly and I remember the writing being really simplistic?? But that's really about all I could tell you.

The Plot/Pacing
The main premise of this book is essentially this girl band that broke up comes back together in order to enter a contes
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow I loved this so much
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Resolutions
  • Belly Up
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • Kaleidoscope Song
  • The Love Song of Sawyer Bell (Tour Dates, #1)
  • If It Makes You Happy
  • Marvelous (The Books of Marvella, #1)
  • The Brightsiders
  • The Meaning of Birds
  • My Not-So-Still Life
  • Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens
  • I Love You So Mochi
Rebecca Barrow writes stories about girls and all the wonders they can be. A lipstick obsessive with the ability to quote the entirety of Mean Girls, she lives in England, where it rains a considerable amount more than in the fictional worlds of her characters. She collects tattoos, cats, and more books than she could ever possibly read. You can find her on Twitter @RebeccaKBarrow.

YOU DON'T KNOW M