Start by marking “We're All in This Together: A Novella and Stories” as Want to Read:
We're All in This Together: A Novella and Stories

We're All in This Together: A Novella and Stories

"An exceptional debut...Funny and poignant, these stories are textured gems."--People (four-star critic's pick)

The stories in this collection, along with Owen King's brilliant title novella set in Maine after the 2000 election, carry the weight of real emotion and revelation and showcase the impressive versatility of a rising talent.

An adolescent encounters a giant reptile
Published July 11th 2006 by Bloomsbury USA (first published July 5th 2005)

Start your review of We're All in This Together: A Novella and Stories
Chris
This is a brilliant little collection of one novella and four short stories. When you consider that it’s the author’s first book, it really says something. This is no amateur storyteller here. These stories work, and they work well.

You might recognize the name of the author if you’re a Stephen King fan; it’s his second son. It might be unfair to compare Owen’s one book to the 40-year legacy of his father, but it’s probably nigh on impossible not to at least consider it. I mean, it’s his son. Kin
Kit★
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I found this book at Dollar General, when I saw it, I was like, "no way, I've always wanted to check out Owen's writing!" I've been a Stephen King fan for years and years, and I've since come to love the few things I've gotten to read by the other members of his family. So, yea, I was a tad excited to find this book, and for a good price. Plus it's a collection of short stories, which I have a soft spot for... bonus points if you will :) I'll say right off the bat that I was not disappointed in ...more
Jeanette (Again)
If you're still ticked off about the way Dubya was allowed to steal the election in 2000, you need to read the novella, "We're All In This Together." I had some serious laugh-out-loud moments while reading it. Unfortunately, it falls apart at the end, which reduced my rating from four stars to three.

The short stories are well written, if not particularly memorable. I think Owen King has some writing chops. He just needs more practice and better material. So even though I'm only giving this book
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
My library branch has a sad bookcase with a few books turned face out on each shelf. There's a sign that says something like, "These books are in danger of being permanently removed from the shelves due to not being taken out very much. Please do a good deed and take one home with you to read today!"

So, being a Good Deed Do-er, I took this book and checked it out, literally and figuratively. Largely because it was by Owen King, son of Stephen and brother of Joe Hill. I'd never read anything by O
DJ
Aug 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Taking the average of my rating for each story - 2.5 stars.

Sorta bummed. Maybe I went into this with higher hopes than I should have. Maybe I let thoughts of Stephen King (which, poor Owen, must always be compared to) influence my take on these stories. Or maybe I just didn't get it. I will say, though, with the few typos in the Kindle edition, it was very well written. Owen King can write. The subjects though...

We're All in This Together - The longest of the stories in this collection. Three St
Bandit
Jun 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like to think of myself as an objective reviewer or at least a fair one. I also am not averse to giving writers second chances to insure that my impressions and opinions of their work are accurate. And so, despite the disappointing Double Feature I've read recently, I decided to give Owen King another go and checked out his debut book. This one I liked even less. I am seriously amazed, actually incredulous at all the praise he receives on his book covers. Could be his writing is just really no ...more
Arthur Gibson
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I forgot to write a review of this before, so I'll just do that now and put today as the finished date - though I actually read it more than a year ago. My review: Go read this book! Owen King has a knack for creating life within his words. More than the stories themselves, these are gripping characters. They have personality, depth, and you can see yourself bumping into them as you go down the street. This was the first thing by this author that I read, but it will not be the last. Based on the ...more
Marie
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Another King shoved at me to 'check out and see if he's readable.' I usually hate to compare author's that are related to each other but it is sheer impossible not to put Own next to his father and brother.

I picked this book up for above mentioned reason, no other, I'm sorry. I probably wouldn't have read it if it wasn't for the name, not for the blurb at the back in any case. Still, two pages in I really liked the story. It reminded me of Arto Paasilinna's quirky characters and it had the same
Eric
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing

Stephen King's other son...after reading HEART SHAPED BOX by Joe Hill (Stephen King's other other son) I was amazed by the protege of the family. Although Tabitha doesn't really do it for me, she keeps Stephen in check, I had to check out the other son's work. It's not horror at all.

Although there are some thought provoking and distubing sequences, Owen seems to write literary works. His tales wound you into a surprising thought provoking atmosphere. I respect his talent. The first book is a
Debra
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Stephen King's son is a pretty darned good writer. He and his brother are definitely making their dad proud in that department. I enjoyed the novella in this book the best; loved the little twist thrown in for good measure. Liked the surprise. The characters were well-developed and quirky. It was a kind of coming-of-age story, too.

The rest of the stories were also very well-written, although some good have been longer.

Overall, I'd recommend this collection.
Carol
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The novella was an excellent coming of age story. The short stories were a mix for me, some disturbing and some leaving me wanting more. I read the novella last as I was trying to read through the short stories before seeing Owen live and in person. The book talk on Sleeping Beauties was fantastic. He is an intelligent and humorous writer and speaker. I'll be reading more in the near future!
~ Cheryl ~

The author is Stephen King’s OTHER writer son. But Owen has a style all his own, and it’s quite good.

You know when you’re in a group of people, and one person is telling a story, and the topic isn’t one you’re necessarily interested in? But you find yourself in rapt attention because this person just knows how to tell a story well? That’s what this novella was like.

A story well told, is worth the reading.

The Novella:

A teenage boy and his aging grandfather spend the summer planning an act of re
Taco Banana
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book a lot...
The first story and the one I enjoyed the most, the title novella, We're All in This Together, was laugh out loud funny on several occasions. It was smart and characters served perfectly, all plausible, all identifiable in some way. I couldn't help, but enjoy the stance of the grandfather and George (I've spent enough time on the wrong side of the tracks to shake my fist at rich folks) to a point. The strange forgiveness between the author's characters always offer an
Nicolas Bateman
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Owen King's first book is not actually a novel but, as clearly pointed out by the title, a collection of four short stories and a novella.
If Joe has followed faithfully in the steps of Daddy, Owen couldn't be farther away from his family's recipe for books.
With a style that reminded me in turns of Paul Auster and Chad Harbach, We're All In This Together is an intelligent and effective piece of fiction writing that clearly reflects the love of its author for politics, cinema and literature, as we
Tobin Elliott
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: hard-copy
Having read Double Feature and enjoying it, I thought it would be interesting to go back to his first release.

I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. I enjoy King's characters a lot, and I love the stories themselves. However, there's only one thing I can point to that I really don't enjoy and that's the fact that all the stories seem to end without any wrap up. It's as if they ended about three paragraphs too soon.

His wife, author Kelly Braffet writes similarly, but I prefer her writing over K
Deth Graham
Apr 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far I have finished the novella We're All in This Together I have yet to read any of the other short stories included in the book. I am absolutely blown away. WAITT is one of the most touching stories I have ever read. It completely captures the uncertainty of adolesence and youth in the lead character George and at the other end of the scale the ingrained conviction of the older generation in Gil and Henry. A beautiful yet chilling tale about life and the unexpected cards we are sometimes de ...more
Shannon
Feb 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
Stephen King has a son who can write-- it's not this one. The Novella is passable with characters who do speak to you. Those are the absolute worst published short stories that I've ever read.

The sad part is, I'm not even being harsh, because I went into this really wanting to like this son's writing as much as I adore Joe Hill. I was very disappointed. In a family of writing geniuses, this fell so far below the mark.
Vanessa
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary-fiction
I really, really, really loved the novella, "We're all in this together". A lot. The ending was shocking, and I had to read it a few times to make sure I hadn't missed something vital. The short stories were interesting, but not stellar. King definitely has a way with character development and his writing style is very accessible. I am looking forward to reading his full length novel, "Double Feature".
Jess
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
He's got a voice, and it's not like anyone in the family. That's good, and I was really glad for that. My only criticism is that I felt like all his endings were, for lack of a better term, academic. Like someone taught him how to end short stories with a twist, and so that's what he does. It just wasn't very satisfying for me, once I figured out the trick. But I really liked the characters and the overall feel, and I look forward to reading the rest of his work.
Karen
Oct 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is a compelling story that left me sad at its conclusion only because it had ended. Mr. King has a gift for sense of place. His prose is incredibly readable and very often witty. I could see the novella as a film in the vein of Simon Burch.

So this writer/reader is left asking - where's the next book from Mr. King?
Larrirosser
Jul 13, 2008 rated it liked it
One of the nicest things I can say about Steven King is that his wife and kid can write. :)

I have an inordinate fondess for short storis, and Owen King's debut does not disappoint. He shows us the world through the eyes of a young American male, not a jock, not a scholar, but a human being with a keen eye for the oddity around him. Very nice.
Martin Sexton
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, but can't quite describe or categorize it. not for those who need a clear, buttoned up narrative. the stories left me more with feelings and moods than with words and thoughts. It was more like poetry in short story form. Definitely original and like Double Feature, left me eager to read whatever comes next from Owen King.
Karlton
Sep 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary-fiction
This is a great collection of carefully crafted short stories and the novella "We're All in this Together" which puts mixes recent politics (the 2000 election to 9/11) and narrative together splendidly.
Janellyn51
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a really great collection of stories. I totally loved We're all in this together, and it totally surprised me in the end. The other stories were great too. I hope Owen will have more in the offing soon.
Chelsea Catalina
Jul 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kingbachmanworld
great debut from king's son owen...other son goes by the pseudonym Joe hill...
Matt
Sep 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
the short stories were just good.
the novella was great.
Cody
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked this novella quite a bit. Great coming of age story. The short stories were less successful in my opinion. I really liked "Snake."
Dmshepherd
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Owen taught my first writing class at Columbia. He's a great guy, and an amazing writer. I picked up his book. Great short stories. Especially "Frozen Animals". I hope he's doing well, and writing.
Troy Lefman
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good stories. Quick hospital read, waiting for the baby to come and play.
Ashley
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was happy that the first short story was actually more of a novella and really set the pace for the tone of the book. I enjoyed it!
« previous 1 3 next »

• If It Bleeds
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather (The Button Box, #2)
  • Liberator Germaniae: Tretralogia De Teotoburgo
  • Deacon King Kong
  • Satori
  • Rain Will Come
  • La sangre de los inocentes
  • Zawi
  • Fountain Society
  • Tierra firme
  • Los pilares de la tierra I (Parte 1 de 3)
  • La reina oculta
  • Panzer Leader
  • The Fire (The Eight, #2)
  • Venganza en Sevilla (Martín Ojo de Plata, #2)
  • Las legiones malditas (Publio Cornelio Escipión, #2)
  • The Thief of Always
  • Haunted: Horror
I'm the author of the novel Double Feature and We're All In This Together: A Novella and Stories, co-editor (with John McNally) of the anthology Who Can Save Us Now, and co-author (with Mark Poirier) of the graphic novel Intro to Alien Invasion. I also co-wrote the novel Sleeping Beauties with Stephen King. My writing has appeared in publications such as The New York Times Book Review, The Los Ang ...more