Start by marking “Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)

Shatter the Sky

(Shatter the Sky #1)

Raised among the ruins of a conquered mountain nation, Maren dreams only of sharing a quiet life with her girlfriend Kaiauntil the day Kaia is abducted by the Aurati, prophetic agents of the emperor, and forced to join their ranks. Desperate to save her, Maren hatches a plan to steal one of the emperors coveted dragons and storm the Aurati stronghold.

If Maren is to have
Published July 30th 2019 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Shatter the Sky, please sign up.
Rebecca Kim Wells This is a hugely relatable question! Ok--if I'm feeling like I WANT to be writing but just am having trouble focusing/making time to write/just don't…moreThis is a hugely relatable question! Ok--if I'm feeling like I WANT to be writing but just am having trouble focusing/making time to write/just don't feel like writing, I try to think more about my longterm intentions than whether I'm feeling the short term "I wrote!" payoff. I'm building a career as a writer, and sitting down and writing regularly serves that longterm goal, even if it sometimes feels like a drag.

Also, I try to remind myself that in a week, I won't be able to tell which words felt glowingly inspired and which felt more like I was banging my head into the keyboard.

PS: To me, feeling uninspired is not the same as feeling creative burnout. Burnout is real and if you do feel this way, taking a break and refilling the creative well is really important!(less)
We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah FaizalDescendant of the Crane by Joan HeWicked Saints by Emily A. DuncanThe Devouring Gray by Christine Lynn HermanThe Candle and the Flame by Nafiza Azad
YA Debuts 2019
157 books — 986 voters
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberWayward Son by Rainbow Rowell
YA Novels of 2019
833 books — 2,860 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
Elise (TheBookishActress)
being gay is about stealing a dragon to save your girlfriend from a corrupt empire
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
sapphic girls and dragons???

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh????

this was written with me, specifically, in mind so just go ahead and jot that down

Update 02/20/2020:
Welp. DNF at chapter 4, possibly my fastest ever DNF. Ive been going through this unfortunate thing recently where I just cant get into YA fantasy. I keep putting it all off because every introductory part sounds exactly the same as most other books of the same genre/age group. Maybe this would be a fine read, but ultimately this is
Mackenzi
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everything is beautiful and nothing hurts.
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

A girl who loves girls going off on a mission to steal a dragon in order to save her girlfriend? YES.

I'm happy to say that this book mostly lived up to the hype. It had some problems, but not with the execution of the premise and more with nitpicky things that bothered me as a reader of the fantasy genre. And honestly? That's a good sign. Because if I liked the book enough to be able to focus on the more genre-specific errors, that means
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: poc cast, bi mc, sapphic li, side sapphic character, side wlw parents

Review also on my blog.

When people recommend Shatter the Sky as a sapphic fantasy novel, theyre very much right but at the same time, it doesnt explain just how sapphic the book. Were not used to being fed this well, and yet its exactly what we deserve.

The book opens with the (bi!) mc talking about how much she loves her girlfriend. Thats revolutionary. And that love is used as a catalyst for all future events. Quite
Chelsea
Feb 15, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: gimme
book synopsis: girl steals a dragon to save her kidnapped girlfriend
release date: 2019
me: *sliding the author my life savings under the table* spring 2018
Silvia
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

An interesting worldbuilding and a perfect story for fans of The Dragon Prince, which was ultimately just a little too forgettable for me.

This book starts with a really great premise, a QPOC girl who decides to go save her girlfriend and undertakes a journey in a very interesting fantasy world with dragons that can bond to humans.

I thought the execution was okay for a
Lea ♞ That_Bookdragon
1/5 ⭐

I am DEVASTATED to say that I didn't like this book. It sounded so good and amazing but unfortunately I just couldn't and wanted to DNF it but it is a short book so I decided to continue reading it, my mistake. First, it did not feel like a YA book but more like a Middle Grade one. I didn't like the writing at all.

When I say that I'm sad for not enjoying this book, you have to trust me. It has dragons, queer characters (the MC is bisexual, we'll come back to that later), rebellion and
Mel (Epic Reading)
The introduction to Shatter the Sky is absolutely adorable. We meet two girls, clearly in love, who are kissing in the woods. How cute right?! Sadly these two girls are almost immediately separated. Although that is the plot of Rebecca Kim Wells story; so I suppose it's hard to critic (lol). Unfortunately the remainder of the story isn't written as smoothly as the opening chapter. Many times Wells goes from stilted plot points to convenient happenings to confusing the heroine's goals throughout ...more
el
Apr 24, 2018 marked it as to-read
put her girlfriend and dragon in the same sentence and thats it. thats it you got me ...more
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

I didn't know anything about Shatter the Sky except that it was about a queer girl in love with her girlfriend. And DRAGONS! Yes, I'm a dragon fan and am always down to learn dragon lore interpreted by a new author.

Shatter the Sky is a neat title especially for a dragon book, even though I'm not sure the story lived up to the name. And the cover is quite ho-hum as well. I do find the colors incredibly pretty and it makes for a great
Acqua
Jun 20, 2019 marked it as dnf-lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
This started out really well. I was loving the mountain setting, and this was going to be a story about a bisexual girl trying to get back her girlfriend who was kidnapped by powerful people working for the corrupt empire that colonized their land - of course I had to try it, especially since this is also about a biracial girl in an Asian-coded fantasy world (or, so the plant life described made me think?)

But then the pace slowed, and the main character got into a boring fortress (no plants. I'm
julianna ➹
there's kind of a love triangle in this and i'm hardcore not here for it. or am i?

There's something about this writing that is really easy-to-follow and engaging, but not lyrical in the way that would let me pull beautiful quotes? Which is sad. Because I like quotes.

I feel like I've said this for a lot of books, but this really just gave me that Classic YA feeling in terms of its structure and plot. I also felt like maybe this book felt slightly like it could have been middle-grade?

I'm going to
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Buddy Read with Nana and Faith for The Procrastinators Book Club

When Maren's girlfriend Kaia is taken by the Aurati to join their evil ranks, Maren decides to save her girlfriend the only way she knows howby infiltrating the emperor's dragon fortress, stealing a dragon, and then storming the Aurati stronghold. It's impossible, but Maren is determined to be reunited with her love.

This is a story that I probably would have adored 4-5 years ago.

Dragons. High stakes. Rebellion. A bisexual heroine in
jocelyn
2019 is the year that QPOC are showing up in YA to burn the system to the ground and I could not stan harder if I tried.

This dragon didn't smell like anything I recognized, I realized... Maybe the smell I'd been associating with dragons all this time was the scent of their fear. Maybe all the things I'd learned about dragons were half-truths, words misshaped by the mouths of their captors.

This is a gloriously fresh take on dragons and magic and oppression. Maren's journey is a familiar one,
rachel ☾
update: this cover is super underwhelming

... when her girlfriend is kidnapped, Maren vows to rescue her, even if it means stealing a dragon from the corrupt empire.

pls give me all the sapphic dragon fantasies
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
Im sorry but this sounds SO DARN LIT that I might actually cry out of sheer delight

I feel truly blessed to live in an era where such delightful stories are being told 😭
Kogiopsis
hey quick question why the HELL did I think it was a good idea to read this seven months before it's released
why did I give myself seven EXTRA MONTHS of waiting for the sequel
I am suffering

(or: it was really good, but I just want! more!)
fae
Feb 08, 2018 marked it as to-read
Lesbians and dragons?????
Dahlia
Aah that was so satisfying (despite being a trilogy opener), so immersive, and so much fun. Great for fans of Audrey Coulthurst's Inkmistress, of which I definitely count myself. Long RTC.
michelle (magical reads)
read on my blog

I am a dragon girl without a dragon. But what if I got one? What could I do then?

I first heard about Shatter the Sky from Twitter and was intrigued because it had a bi protagonist. Then I read the summary; a quest to get your girlfriend back using dragons? Sign me up. Shatter the Sky was an intriguing read, with strong worldbuilding and great character development.

The whole concept of dragons was really interesting in this book. I will say that it didnt have maximum dragons, but
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
*3.25
I am so disappointed.

I went into this book having no expectations, but I was reading for the pre-established romance. The moment I read "to save her girlfriend" I wanted to read this. I would've read it if it was "save her boyfriend" or whatever because I love when characters start off the book in a relationship and we just follow them in their relationship. I love that.

I also really liked the cover. And I feel like an idiot because it literally took me so long to notice the freaking
c, (½ of readsrainbow)
Then let them burn.

On my blog.

Rep: bi mc, wlw li, Asian inspired characters (? definitely poc)

Galley provided by publisher

So you want a book with a bi main character? So you want a book with no white characters? So you want a book with dragons and a quest to rescue your girlfriend from the villains? This is the book for you.

Shatter the Sky opens with Marens girlfriend, Kaia, being taken from her by agents of the empire and forced to join them. And, in the process, establishes something very
Crowinator
I like this book a whole lot. It surprised me. I hope they pick a different cover by the time it comes out because I don't know a lot of teens that would give it a shot based on this one. Review to come.

Previously On This Review:
My ARC bills this as an "angry feminist bisexual dragon YA fantasy novel" and I can't tell if this word salad is a meaningful statement, but I guess we'll see.
Stella ☆Paper Wings☆
Feb 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
DNF at 46%
I don't know what to rate this book since I didn't really read that last 26 percent... I did physically read this book, but pretty much just left my brain as soon as I read it. I don't know if it's just my state of mind, but this book got me in a bit of a slump and I don't see the point in forcing myself to finish it since it's due at the library tomorrow.

The whole time I was just waiting for the plot to make sense, and it never did. Certain things happened far too easily, and other
Julia Ember
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this one! Lesbians and dragons! A super fast, short read which I always appreciate in fantasy. I loved the incidental queerness of the book, and really related the protagonist who didnt want to be a heroine, she just wanted to stay home, but hurt her girlfriend at your peril!

The pacing especially reminded me a lot of the YA books I read when I was a teen, like Tamora Pierce.
Emily (emilykatereads)
This angry feminist fantasy with a bisexual MC who steals a dragon to save her girlfriend definitely sounds like the kind of story I'd be 100% into. This one just fell a bit short for me. It wasn't bad, it was just lacking.

Maren, a homebody who doesn't want to leave her place on the mountain decides to leave to steal a dragon and save her girlfriend when Kaia is taken by the Aurati. Maren must travel and scheme to make this plan work.

The writing was good, but I found I just didn't connect with
Karina
Rating: 4 Stars ★★★★
Shatter The Sky is a quiet, character-driven fantasy that roots you in its immersive world that's filled with dense forests, an expanding empire, and dragons! When Maren's girlfriend is taken by prophets of the emperor, she goes on a quest to rescue her! The plot is filled with intrigue, politics, dragon lore, brewing rebellion, and much more, this is a YA Fantasy debut that should't be missed!

I'd had Shatter The Sky on my TBR for a while and for some reason I just could
Renee
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mother of dragons who? We now stan Maren ben Gao Vilna, daughter of dragons.
Cindee
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: october-2019-tbr
I did like this book even with the few issues that I found in it for one it was just a bit too fast paced and the story focused a little too much on the MC's feelings for someone else. I liked the characters especially Maren I liked how empowered she was to save her girlfriend Kaia although she did get a bit too distracted with her attraction to Sev. I really did like how determined she was to save Kaia even from herself so she would free the people she cares about form the evil tyrant of the ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Procrastinato...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Shatter the Sky (July 2019) - Laurel and Nana 19 18 Aug 02, 2019 04:25PM

• Tarnished Are the Stars
  • A Dress for the Wicked
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • Once & Future (Once & Future #1)
  • Bonds of Brass (The Bloodright Trilogy #1)
  • Of Ice and Shadows (Of Fire and Stars, #2)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Slay
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • Ashlords
  • The Bone Houses
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
  • The Afterward
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
Rebecca Kim Wells is the author of Shatter the Sky and Storm the Earth (forthcoming in Fall 2020). When not writing, reading, or talking about writing or reading, she sells books at a fiercely independent bookstore in Massachusetts. She can also be found drinking tea, singing along to musicals, or playing soccer. (Usually not all at once.) If she were a hobbit, she would undoubtedly be a Took.

Shatter the Sky (2 books)
  • Storm the Earth (Shatter the Sky, #2)