Start by marking “High Magick: A Guide to the Spiritual Practices That Saved My Life on Death Row” as Want to Read:
High Magick: A Guide to the Spiritual Practices That Saved My Life on Death Row

High Magick: A Guide to the Spiritual Practices That Saved My Life on Death Row

“Magick is not a path for followers; it is a path for questioners, seekers, and anyone who has trouble settling for dogma and pre-formulated answers. Magick is for those who feel the desire to peel away the surface of reality and see what lies beneath. Like various persecuted forms of mysticism, magick promotes direct contact with the source of creation.”
Damien Echols

D
Published October 30th 2018 by Sounds True

To ask other readers questions about High Magick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High Magick

Heidi The Reader
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Magick was out there in the world, and I could learn and practice it! That realization was like a bomb going off inside me. From that moment on, I pursued magick as if my life depended on it (and, in fact, later it did)." pg 11, ebook.

Damien Echols has penned a part-memoir/part-magic primer and, I believe, established himself as a new major voice in the Western Golden Dawn tradition. Many are familiar with Echols' life. He was sentenced to die for a crime he didn't commit. In High Magick, Echol
Natalie
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I first took a deep dive into paganism, I read a little bit on whatever I could find. Admittedly, it wasn’t much. After trying to read a few Aleister Crowley books, I quickly determined that ceremonial magick wasn’t for me. The Abrahamic overtones and strict ceremonial structure didn’t jive with my free-spirited, earth momma, give-me-a-cottage-in-the-woods vibe. With that in mind, Damien Echols book High Magick does the impossible, it got me to appreciate the value and techniques of ceremon ...more
Rex Ross
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The only reason I haven't given this a 5 star rating is because it didn't have a bibliography added to the end. Admittedly, Damien did drop a few names of occult authors that inspired him in the acknowledgments section but that's still not the same as a bibliography, which I find extremely important to add.

There's also nothing groundbreaking in the book. You won't find any "advanced" magick material within it's pages. The same rituals you'll see countless times in other tomes from Israel Regardi
Denny
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Spiritual seekers and novice magicians.
Not too many years ago and only after a very long, intense, and difficult struggle, I relinquished all my superstitions including belief in the existence of any form of spiritual or otherworldly realms, planes, or beings. So my initial intent, not long after listening to Echols's introductory chapters and getting into his detailed instructions on the practice and application of magick, was to quit listening, give up on the book, and rate it as a 1-star did not finish.

But that would not have been
Emily
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
It looks pretty hardcore, but it’s not much different from the mind/body/spirit practices I read about every day. Also says some interesting stuff about the power in daily Christian rituals, which is surprising given his background, but also I think it’s nice to see how he reconciled all these different systems to survive death row.
Justin
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book, for free, in exchange for an honest review.
To start out with, I am interested in Magick but yet not a practitioner.
Therefore, I can't say whether he is accurately portraying Magick or if his versions of the techniques work.
I will say that this is one of the clearest of the Magick books I've read. He covers the standard practices and does a good job of explaining why one would do them. That being said, he seems a bit too woo woo for my Magick. There are talks of things like
Aurora Dimitre
a lot of the feelings i have on this book are actually very personal, so i'm gonna keep this brief: i was leery about this because i'm not spiritual at all, but after reading almost home & life after death, i figured, if anyone could get me to connect to anything not on this plane, it would be damien echols, because i find his writing style and what he thinks about some things crazy relatable. and he. kinda did? shit's wild, man.
Daniel Levesque
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
If you’ve already studied ceremonial/ritual magick, this isn’t a needed book for you. It seems to be for the absolute beginner, which is admittedly needed and appreciated. For me, I.T. felt like cliff notes to Modern Magick or other, thicker books, only with a lot omitted. Since this form of magiick worked for Echols on death row it is inspiring to read, as it affirms what we already knew. But if you already have a steady practice, you already know this stuff. It goes lightly over Golden Dawn, w ...more
Darius
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the moment, ceremonial/Golden Dawn-style magic isn't my cup of tea at all - but my preferences aside, this book is fantastic. It's deceptively clear and structured by levels of complexity. This is a grimoire for true beginners - even those who have never even heard of magic - and I believe if practiced, it will set one down a path of development and positive transformation unimaginable to the untrained self.
Linda  Maddocks
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'd already read a lot on many of these rituals, so I skimmed some of those sections. I know the LBRP by heart for instance, though I might add an archangel above and below during the "invocation primer", as Damien does. There are definite insights and nuggets in this book, and the author has overcome SO MUCH personal adversity, it's a good sort of affirmative reading - for those going through hard times - that witchy - energetic - meditative practices can be PRACTICAL and in fact, at times, lif ...more
Lynne Thompson
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the best introduction to Ceremonial, or High Magick, that I have come across. The author's practice is rooted in the Golden Dawn version of magic, that was practiced at the turn of the 20th century in Great Britain by some of the best artistic minds of the era, such as the poet W.B. Yeats.

The Golden Dawn method can be quite complex; not only the rituals, but the props associated with them. It is to the author's credit that he presents the beginning forms (Middle Pillar, Lesser Banishing
Leticia
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this serendipitously, as I reignited my own practises. Having been inducted into the Mysteries when I was younger, I had allowed that side of myself to lapse into a pathetic imitation of Buddhism. So when I saw this by Echols, knowing that he, too, was entranced by Buddhist philosophy, I sat up and paid attention.

This book is for beginners. It is steeped in Wiccan practise. But I decided to let my biases sit beside me for a while.

Then, when I was thinking about the practises presented i
Emily
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won't give away any spoilers, but let me begin by saying this book was amazing. I have been a practicing witch for over 10 years and am familiar with every exercise Mr. Echols details in this book. High Magick is not a tradition that I have ever had much interest in, although I know plenty of people who practice it. However, after reading High Magick, I would like to learn more about High Magick and the Golden Dawn. But that's not why this book is so great.

Mr. Echols lays out the building blo
Cheryl
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've known who Damien was since he was on Death Row, I supported the campaign to get the three of them out and watched live as they were released from prison. I've read his other books and watched him, via social media, evolve over the years that he's been a free man and blossom.
I use Magick every day in my life, it's helped me through many things and so I knew when he announced this book was coming out that it would be something I would be very interested to read.
I've had some experience with
Kayla
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Damien Echols is obviously a fascinating person who has been through hell and manages to be a positive person. I listened to the audiobook, and he has a nice Southern accent that made me a little homesick!

This book isn't a recounting of his life, but his experiences influence his beliefs and practices. I am SUPER impressed with his writing and the clarity he has when writing about topics that can often be very esoteric. I haven't read too many books on magick (the ones I have read have been a l
Ashh X
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I thought this was going to go over more complex stuff, but it’s a great beginner’s book on working with energy and different fundamental magick practices. It has a little bit too much judeo-christian stuff for my comfort; I use a Satanic version of LBRP and MP daily which have the same benefit. If you’re just starting out though, don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.
Stef A.
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've read every book by Damien Echols and have followed his story for years. If you're not familiar and are interested, his story is very well chronicled in the Paradise Lost documentary trilogy. After knowing the horrors he has been through, seeing Damien freely thrive as both an artist and author makes my soul happy. His podcasts are also worth a listen as the guided meditations are excellent.
Pixelina
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual
I started it with a hefty bit of doubt but it is actually a rather decent primer in magic practise written in a clear and down to earth way.
I do hope the paper copy of this will be better formatted, edited and include some better images though - if so I would up my rating to 4 stars in a heart beat.
Richard
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This should've been bigger. For an self educated outsider who spent most of his time alone in a cell, his work should be more idiosyncratic. just saying.
There are quite a few factual errors, but over all a good introduction.
I hope he puts out a second one that is more involved.
Laura Wicks
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel like this book created the structure for everything I've always known within myself to be true. DE is seriously one of my biggest heroes. The things I have taken from this book have also saved my life.
Liam Richards
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great introduction to magick from a fascinating person who spent many years on death row for a crime he didn't commit. His story is used as he speaks in the context of the rituals which gives you practical examples of when they can be used and how
Justin A Stover
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent for seekers of spirituality without dogma

Loved it. I found it a pleasure to read but also instructive. The meditations require nothing but a little disciple and a lot of imagination. A+ stuff.
Angelique
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magick, book-club
Damien is amazing. This is a great introduction to ceremonial magick which is both accessible and thorough.
Nancy McQueen
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on the subject of the High Western Tradition that I have read in a long time!
Susan
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellently written, easy to read.
Thanks Mr. Echols, for not only sharing your life w/ us but your knowledge.
Kay Vanserra
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
very well explained. finally someone that is honest about the fact that any practice needs, well, practice and time:)
Maggi Horseman
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
decent book on beginning energy work and ritual magick at a basic level.
Laura K
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
He definitely endured some burning....in order to become a beautiful light in this sometimes very dark world. We are fortunate to have his spiritual guidance. Learn about the case, read "Life After Death", walk in his shoes...most will realize their lives really aren't so bad after all...if he could do it... Straightforward book. Also if you you really want to dig deep into this case check out ReDdit. The West Memphis Three....comprehensive.
Edric Unsane
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fairly decent guide to the fundamentals of energy work and magic.
Andrew
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Marvellous.

• Spiritual Cleansing: A Handbook of Psychic Self-Protection
  • Advanced Magick for Beginners
  • A Death on Diamond Mountain: A True Story of Obsession, Madness, and the Path to Enlightenment
  • Awakening from the Daydream: Reimagining the Buddha's Wheel of Life
  • Dogme Et Rituel de la Haute Magie
  • The Dictionary of Demons: Names of the Damned
  • The Road Home: A Contemporary Exploration of the Buddhist Path
  • Sigil Witchery: A Witch's Guide to Crafting Magick Symbols
  • The Buddha in Your Mirror: Practical Buddhism and the Search for Self
  • The Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford: Dilettante's Guide to What You Do and Do Not Need to Know to Become a Qabalist
  • Witchcraft Today
  • A Season with the Witch: The Magic and Mayhem of Halloween in Salem, Massachusetts
  • Apocalyptic Witchcraft
  • The Occult Book: A Chronological Journey from Alchemy to Wicca
  • The Krampus and the Old, Dark Christmas: Roots and Rebirth of the Folkloric Devil
  • Santa Muerte: The History, Rituals, and Magic of Our Lady of the Holy Death
  • The Middle Pillar: The Balance Between Mind and Magic
  • Mindfulness as Medicine: A Story of Healing Body and Spirit
Damien Wayne Echols, along with Jessie Misskelley and Jason Baldwin, is one of the three men, known as the West Memphis Three, who were convicted in the killing of three eight-year-old boys Steve Branch, Christopher Byers, and Michael Moore at Robin Hood Hills, West Memphis, Arkansas, on May 5, 1993.

Damien Echols was convicted of murder by a jury and sentenced to death by lethal injection. He was