Start by marking “Gift of the Shaper” as Want to Read:
Gift of the Shaper

Gift of the Shaper

For thousands of years, the Breaker of the Dawn has been locked away in the ethereal plane of the Otherworld. Now, a young blacksmith’s apprentice finds himself trapped in a war between the noble Athrani, a subset of humanity gifted with the ability to transmute matter, and the malevolent and powerful Khyth, who seek to free the ancient god from his prison.

When his father
Published February 7th 2018 by Indigo River

To ask other readers questions about Gift of the Shaper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gift of the Shaper

Lizzy
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is so great! It takes you into a fantasy world and just sucks you right in. It builds up in the first half, and is nail biting action in the second half. I finished the book and immediately wanted to know what happens next!
Shāla
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book! I loved all the fun characters and their individual personalities. There were so many twists that kept me on my toes the whole time. Escaping into a new world is one of my favorite past times. I can’t wait for book two!!
Christopher Schmitz
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
D.L. Jennings uses tight language and well-paced action to move his hero, Thornton Woods, along on his quest to save his father in Gift of the Shaper.
This is very much a coming of age tale as Thornton comes into his own, alongside his friend Miera, at the beginning of the book. But Thornton is not a stranger to hardship, as the son of a blacksmith.
Jennings’ world is fraught with peril and his writing reminds me somewhat of Robert Jordan. The lands of Derenar and Gal’Dorok likewise have original
Carmen
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found the town of Annoch quite interesting and got the idea that there was tension in the Breaker world. As the story went on, it got more and more interesting. I got a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Jonathan
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book!!! Was a bit skeptical to be honest but am really glad I picked it up. It has a great pace to it with plenty of twists and turns and a fresh look at a new fantasy world. It’ll have a place on my shelf for sure and I look forward to reading it again. Highly recommend!
Jack
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
[Disclosure: I personally know the author. Our relationship has no bearing on this review.]

Gift of the Shaper is a good debut by a new, independent author. I am not an avid fantasy reader but I am familiar with major titles in the genre, along with the genre's tropes and clichés.

The good: Jennings takes the story in directions you don't always expect it to go. He handles a-b-c-d plots and weaves them together quite well. His tale has a good magic system while the lore is well-woven, and easy to
Reader Views
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Skyler Boudreau for Reader Views (11/18)

“Gift of the Shaper” is the first in an epic fantasy series following the struggle between two different magical orders as they fight for control of a key that will grant them access to the mysterious Otherworld, where they draw their magic from.

Author D. L. Jennings makes excellent use of the multiple narrators in this debut novel. Each one adds a fresh flavor to the narrative, keeping readers actively engaged with their individual plotlines.
W. Boutwell
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Confession: Fantasy is not my forte. After Lord of the Rings, I kinda got out of the hobbit. The Gift has much the same feel as LOTR without any of the Orc/Elf/Ent/Dwarf / Hobbit characters. Jennings has created a cogent new universe with characters that are novel, not only in their physical habitus but their emotional makeup. The story is riveting and the unfolding of a new world even more fascinating.
The viewpoint shifts from protagonists to antagonists; you get into everyone's head at one tim
Jen
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I finished the book about 10 minutes ago, and I’ve already sent my recommendation to four friends who I know love fantasy. This isn’t my preferred genre, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I actually canceled plans for after work to finish it, because I had to make myself put it down to sleep the night before.

I’m admittedly frustrated with the ending of the book, but that’s only because I need there to be more. The story isn’t done, so the sequel had better be out soon.
Amy Shannon
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Intriguing

Gift of the Shaper was a very interesting fantasy slash mythical book, as it has a feel of Greek mythology. The characters were very well developed and had a great depth to them. This was full of adventure and twists. The plot was smooth and just the right pace, so much that you would want to read quickly but then slow down to savor the story. There was the right balance of light versus darkness within the story. I look forward to reading more by this new author.
Barb
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A real page turner.
Ashley Maestas
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
jeanne jennings
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent debut novel. The characters are well drawn & the battle scenes are vivid, due to the fact that they are based on the author's own experience as a combat veteran. The ending left me wanting more, so it's great that a sequel is in the works.
Jason Hebert
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an interesting debut novel. While it was a little slow to get started, the story picked up and kept me engaged, though the pacing felt somewhat uneven. I hope D.L Jennings continues writing, as I am interested in seeing his talents develop.
Susie
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I bought this book and I would buy it again. Fantasy is not my usual genre, but maybe I will check out some more. This was a well-paced adventure that I finished in one sitting. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
Cayenne Ross
Nov 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Awful!!!
Andy
rated it did not like it
Nov 14, 2018