Start by marking “Season: Big Flavors, Beautiful Food” as Want to Read:
Season: Big Flavors, Beautiful Food

Season: Big Flavors, Beautiful Food

There are few books that offer home cooks a new way to cook and to think about flavor—and fewer that do it with the clarity and warmth of Nik Sharma's Season. Season features 100 of the most delicious and intriguing recipes you've ever tasted, plus 270 of the most beautiful photographs ever seen in a cookbook. Here Nik, beloved curator of the award-winning food blog A Brow ...more
Published October 2nd 2018 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Season

Cynthia Shannon
Excited to be the first to review this on Goodreads! Nik Sharma is SF Chronicle columnist and food blogger of A Brown Table. The blog has beautiful photography and has won several awards, and the book feels very similar. The recipes might appear intimidating because of the range of new spices Nik introduces to the home cook, but they are pretty accessible once you realize how familiar they are, for example: Deviled Eggs with Creamy Tahini and Za'atar or Steak with Orange Peel and Coriander.

Full
Shipshapeeatworthy
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While anyone can cook and teach themselves how to cook I think what Sharma does in his book is really something magical when it comes to the introduction of how to use seasoning to achieve truly delicious food and how he tells a story through food.  I think his background in science as well as his personal history lends itself to a new culinary alchemy — the kitchen magic that can happen to a home cook when a new dish is created or a “new” ingredient discovered.

Through both Sharma’s own experime
Louise
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brand new cookbook from a SF blogger/columnist I've been following for a while [even here in the middle of the Midwest!] Sharma brings new flavors to traditional foods from many cuisines, marrying the spices and techniques of each in unique ways. His path to chef is interesting, as well. This will be one of my new favorites!
Juli Anna
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I really just gave this one a skim, but most of these recipes are a bit too complicated and contain to many hard-to-find ingredients for my kitchen.
Avanders
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review based on ARC (Advanced Review Copy received for free in exchange for an honest review).

I am ecstatic to have this book. I LOVE a good cookbook. I do not always love a cookbook with a lot of personal-life-fluff thrown in. There are, of course, exceptions. I really (shockingly ;)) enjoyed Chrissy Teigen's cookbook, and I was equally enamored with this one.

Nik Sharma has a rich story and a broad perspective.
But more importantly, this is a beautiful cookbook. I love the pictures and I love
RUSA CODES
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: codes-list-2019
Nothing about Nik Sharma’s debut fits neatly into a cookbook category. Sharma is not a professionally-trained chef nor does the food subscribe to any one type of cuisine. But there lies its appeal: the recipes are unique, creatively (ahem) seasoned and Sharma’s voice is passionate and inspired. A welcome addition. The Bombay Frittata should convince you.

2019 CODES List Winners Announced
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking
I like the premise of the book, focused on seasoning. I assumed this was more of a learning cookbook, and in that sense I felt it could have been more systematic. The expository material was really easy to miss. But the author encourages doing/experimentation and it's true that really is the most valuable way to learn cooking. Although I can't use more than one or two recipes as given, I will adapt a few of the dessert recipes.
Lindsey
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook, 2019
Beautiful book: photos, stories, colors, plated food, it’s all gorgeous! I was hoping to find a new dish to add to our rotation, but because he tries to cover all types of food (salad, desserts, main courses, drinks, etc), there wasn’t enough dishes to choose from for meat-based mains to use with our wild game. People who love Indian, however, may really enjoy these recipes!
Ariste Egan
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
This cookbook is beautiful and is clearly a labor of love for Nik Sharma. But, for the average home cook, the recipes are cumbersome with at least one or two obscure ingredients I probably would never use again.
Deborah
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Beautiful in so many ways

As an avid collector of cookbooks, I can be hard to impress but “Season” is absolutely gorgeous. The recipes are fairly straightforward and useful for incorporating spices I don’t use enough.
John
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous photos, interesting personal story, and very interesting and unique recipes make this a great cookbook to have around. Anyone looking to learn new ways to blend different styles of cooking should pick this one up.
Liz
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Umm, it's got food in it?
Most of that food is not totally treif? It looks interesting.
The narrative parts and Sharma's reflections on how culinary ideas come to him are fun, but I am reminded in writing this why I don't usually bother trying to review cookbooks.
Virginia
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Beautiful book but the pictures, while gorgeous, are a bit too dark to be helpful in cooking.
Beth Polebaum
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The pictures in this book are stunning. My biggest gripe with this cookbook is a failure to provide substitutes for hard-to-find ingredients.
Janet
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Beautiful book with a few interesting recipes I'd like to try.
Reese
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful photography and writing.
Kevin
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A visually stunning cookbook from Nik Sharma from the equally stunning blog - a Brown table. If you make only one recipe from this book I recommend the Sweet potato fries with basil sauce yoghurt
Sara

• Near & Far: Recipes Inspired by Home and Travel
  • The Mission Chinese Food Cookbook
  • Seven Spoons: My Favorite Recipes for Any and Every Day
  • Food52 Mighty Salads: 60 New Ways to Turn Salad Into Dinner
  • Now & Again: Go-To Recipes, Inspired Menus  + Endless Ideas for Reinventing Leftovers
  • Food52 Genius Desserts: 100 Recipes That Will Change the Way You Bake
  • Preserving the Japanese Way: Traditions of Salting, Fermenting, and Pickling for the Modern Kitchen
  • Everything I Want to Eat: The New California Comfort Food from L.A.'s Sqirl
  • How to Eat a Peach: Menus, Stories and Places
  • The Japanese Kitchen
  • Sri Lanka: The Cookbook
  • Taste of Persia: A Cook's Travels Through Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, and Kurdistan
  • Huckleberry: Recipes, Stories, and Secrets from Our Kitchen
  • The Alice B. Toklas Cookbook
  • Food52 Vegan
  • Home Made Summer
  • Homemade Liqueurs and Infused Spirits: Make Your Own Limoncello, Grand Marnier, Bailey's, and 152 Other Innovative Flavor Combinations
  • Fish & Shellfish: The Definitive Cook's Companion

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »