Start by marking “The Museum of Second Chances (Tomorrow's Ancestors, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Museum of Second Chances (Tomorrow's Ancestors, #1)

The Museum of Second Chances

(Tomorrow's Ancestors #1)

What happens when the future recaptures the past?

In a post-apocalyptic world the human race has evolved beyond us through genetic engineering – and we’ve been left behind to make amends for the damage inflicted on the earth. The reversal of the extinction of long lost animals is key to our reparations and all of these are housed in the Museum of Evolution, along with anoth
Published February 17th 2018 by Locutions Press

To ask other readers questions about The Museum of Second Chances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Museum of Second Chances

Start your review of The Museum of Second Chances (Tomorrow's Ancestors, #1)
Sara
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really liked the premise for this, a post apocalyptic world with bad ass genetically enhanced humans, but I felt the story got a little lost in the details.

Elise is a Sapien, living with her family within a small community of other Sapiens - humans not genetically engineered, and held responsible for the destruction of nearly all life on the planet. Due to near extinction, and driven to preserve life, a series of higher life for
Bandit
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finally, a book from an unknown author and an unknown publisher that’s actually good. I knew there had to be one somewhere. Granted it had me at Neanderthals, a subject that has always had an enormous appeal for me. But the thing with Neanderthal stories is that traditionally they are set either in present time (discovery has been made) or the past (and that’s how they lived) and this book takes it to the future. Already hugely auspicious. AE Warren creates a dystopian world where mankind (is th ...more
Lis Carey
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-sf, fiction, arcs
Some unknown hundreds of years in our future, much of the human species has been eliminated by a plague, and the descendants of the survivors have developed a new, caste-divided society. The lowest caste are unmodified Sapiens. Sapiens are blamed for all the extinctions, disasters, the plague, and the collapse of the old society. And not in an abstract way. Sapiens live under the rules of Reparations, in relative poverty, in ecologically correct homes that blend into the landscape. They're only ...more
Lorraine Walker
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A frightening glimpse into aspects of today’s society through the eyes of the brave protagonist, Elise. This author has created a dystopian world that provides thought-provoking themes, powerful relationships and a gripping adventure. AE Warren constructed a movie in my mind and left me contemplating the possibilities of the future human race. Privileged to obtain and read a preview copy of this great page turner!
Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits)
See more of my book reviews on my blog, Literary Flits

I was very intrigued by the premise of AE Warren's Tomorrow's Ancestors series so was delighted to find myself thoroughly enjoying its first book, The Museum Of Second Chances. The novel is set some 250 years in the future after a massive disaster has wiped out most life on Earth, including the majority of its human inhabitants. This isn't a grim, just-scraping-by story though. In Warren's imagined world, superior human species are now in cha
Brian Clegg
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
The premise of The Museum of Second Chances is very intriguing. In a future with a much-shrunk population, where Homo sapiens are second class citizens to more advanced humans, a museum recreates Neanderthals. The central character, Elise, a Homo sapiens, is recruited to be a companion to a Neanderthal, taking Elise from a squalid existence outside into the hi tech museum.

The development of the Neanderthals and the fate of the downtrodden Homo sapiens individuals is well done, with an engaging s
Julia Blake
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled upon this extraordinary book quite by chance. I noticed the cover on a post on Instagram and it intrigued me enough to read the blurb, which interested me enough to buy and read the book. It was not what I was expecting, it was better. The premise of the book is simple - it’s the future, mankind has almost destroyed the planet and is having to deal with the consequences. So far, like most other dystopian stories. But what is different is that following some tinkering with our genes, t ...more
Linda Lou
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What happens when the future recaptures the past? This question posed by The Museum of Second Chances has story threads that brought to mind Divergent and The Giver. For instance, all three tell of a future gone awry in “perfect worlds” created by the author, power and control as a means to an end and those at the top are more than willing to do anything to maintain that status quo.

I was thrown into this post apocalyptic world immediately in the first few pages. A classic story of the haves hol
Jasmine
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, gosh. This book was fantastic. I enjoyed every second of it.
The story follows Elise, a Sapien, who lands a job working at the Museum of Second Chances. There, she plays the role of Companion to a Neanderthal known as Twenty-One. At first, Elise is hesitant and nervous, but soon finds herself easing into the job, as well as starting a tentative friendship with another Companion. But all of that just might come crumbling down if Elise isn't careful.
I have to say, this was a really strong debu
Jessica Belmont
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I said yes to this book because it sounded like a unique plot and I was right. I haven’t read too many books about Neanderthals, but this was so intriguing. A combination of the past and present with genetic engineering in the mix created one heck of a book!

The plot is based around power, society, and genetics but it does it in such a way that I was hooked. A.E. Warren does a fantastic job making the science understandable while maintaining a realistic and credible plot.

The characters are strong
Samantha
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-popsugar-rc
Elise is the lowest form of human, the Sapiens. So when she gets a job working at the Museum of Evolution she is thankful for the chance to bring in extra income for her family. While at the museum she meets a Neanderthal named Twenty-One who lives in the confines of a pod at the museum. He's on display just like all the prehistoric species brought back to life. The more Elise gets to know Twenty-One the more she wants to help him, but helping him could mean exposing her secret that could change ...more
Kay Smillie
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book by a new author and new publishers purely on the premise of the story, in an imagined future set in a post-apocalyptic world where genetic engineering has humans in three levels. Homo Sapiens are in the bottom category.

Genetic engineering has also been used to bring back to life extinct species, including Neanderthals, and how the top level 'humans' (high heid yins as we call them in Scotland) are corrupt. Power corrupts. Always has, always will.

Elise has been chosen by the so
Samantha
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually bought this book by mistake but read it anyway and I am very glad I did so!

A lovely fluid writing style adds belivability and empathy to the main character's emotional journey and development. The dystopian world of the future as pictured by the author seems entirely possible - indeed, some aspects already exist.

Definitely worth a read for something completely different.
Joe
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Received as an Xmas gift. Really enjoyed it. Original idea, exceedingly well-executed. Looking forward to book 2 (which I received from the same person for my birthday.)
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those stories that take you on a journey. Normally I hate slow paced stories, but with this, I loved it. With every page and new interaction, it just added more to the whole world being built. The Author let the story breath, let it tell itself.

The story is very original, it not far from what could actually happen in the future, if things panned out that way. I just loved the whole idea, it made the story very interesting. Different species of humans.

(Disclaimer: I received a free
Edwin Howard
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: top-10-in-2018
In THE MUSEUM OF SECOND CHANCES by AE Warren, Elise, a Sapien, has just been hiring to work at the museum as a companion to a Neanderthal in hopes that one day, with the right care and consideration, the Neanderthal can be a prized exhibit at the museum. In this dystopian future, civilization imploded on itself and from those remains came Sapiens (the remaining humans who are now reduced to menial work and are considered a lesser species), Medius (the middle class, having some genetic engineerin ...more
Jeffrey Thompson
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
From 'Brave New World' to the present day, what is generally been lost in dystopian fiction is a recognizable level of normal human exchange. In an unfamiliar new world, people too often interact in a stilted fashion, with language to match, much like super-heroes, which has the comforting effect of making that world seem the more improbable. Not so here. Elise, the heroine, might be you or I looking out at this futuristic society from our mundane present experience. What is more this is consist ...more
Sarah Z
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book so much so that I devoured it within 24 hours. Granted, it's not incredibly long, but still. In fact, I wish it was longer because I really want to know what happens to those characters next. This book would make a fantastic series (hint hint).

The premise is that humanity has undergone some kind of apocalypse and 200 or so years later, humans are living in 4 colonies (that we kn
Rachel Churcher
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
For more YA reviews, visit my blog!

What if humans created a superior species using genetic engineering? What if Homo Sapiens were then held responsible for the damage to the planet, and forced to make reparations? And what if we used genetic engineering to bring back extinct species - including Neanderthals?

Book One of the Tomorrow's Ancestors series introduces a world where unaltered humans are treated as manual workers, and denied luxuries as punishment for their destruction of the natural wor
Jena Henry
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This dystopian science fiction book is centered around an astounding question- “What happens when the future recaptures the past?” The story blends well-developed and appealing characters with an interesting plot centered on genetic engineering. I wish I could visit the post-apocalyptic world showcased in the novel.

While this book may be directed toward YA readers, I easily became immersed in the world presented in this story. The book is thought-provoking as it asks us, “What does it mean to b
Caroltaylor
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I bought this book because I’m a keen Young Adult fiction fan, and I believe in supporting new authors, trying to publish their own work. By the time a had finished it (in one go, a few hours later) I realised I had read a really exciting page turner, which deserves to be widely known.

Set in a future, when most of the world has been destroyed by climate change, pollution and starvation, there are three bands of people - of course the Potiors run things, with the ‘Midders’, and the Sapiens as ‘t
The Idle Woman
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Museums and curators don’t have enough of a place in fiction in my opinion, unless they’re doing something frankly unlikely, like hunting down relics in the Amazon. And so I pounced on this novel about a post-apocalyptic future in which a new society is doing its best to overcome the tragedies of extinction – but at what cost? It starts with a young woman getting her dream job. Unlike other Sapiens teenagers at Thymine Base, Elise Thanton isn’t going to spend her life slaving in the manufacturin ...more
Toni Boughton
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fast read, but enjoyable. AE Warren has a deft hand at description - I could see the buildings, the Museum, the displays, so vividly. I greatly appreciated a female protag who wasn't all about hooking up or getting a boyfriend; it was a very welcome change.

Elise and Kit and Luca and the others were interesting and distinct. The events that led to this 'separation' of species is lightly sketched, and I personally would like a closer look at those cataclysmic happenings. A sequel is not
Sonia
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thought provoking glimpse of a potential future for humans. The world created by AE Warren is a fantastic amalgamation of many recent (and not so recent) dystopian and sci fi creations. There were constant reminders of other fondly remembered alternative worlds readers of this genre would have no doubt been familiar with.

My only comment is that perhaps the ending did seem a little rush. Although it did not stop me from wanting to read on eagerly and from a personal preference I particularly not
Marie Blanchet
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The museum of second chances has many interesting and complex characters; smart and pertinent commentary to give about society, history, and truth vs what we learn; and it is incredibly well-written. I devoured this book in two days and I would happily recommend it to everyone who is looking for an interesting new novel to pick up.

Read my entire review here: https://blambooks.wordpress.com/2018/...
Rosemarie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Received in return for an honest review. Full review on blog 18th January 2020.

I read this book in an afternoon, it was easy to read and the full-tilt escape ending was very exciting. The science was a bit dodgy but it's fiction, so if people want to understand evolution and genetics better I think they'd have the sense to go and look at non-fiction sources. A good 'what-if' scenario, well written, with distinctive characters.
AmbushPredator
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
A rather odd addition to the adolescent dystopia genre, this novel does not lend itself to upfront exposition, instead drawing the reader in slowly, which enhances the mystery of what has befallen the world we know.

The characters are well drawn at first, though the climax gets a little implausible and overheated. It does whet one's appetite for the inevitable sequel.
Janette Mcmahon
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A different dystopian novel. In years past the Pandemic, class and separation of people is still alive and well, as is the need to understand only parts of the past. A look at the engineering of traits and people and possible consequences. Leaves a reader wanting a book two.
Shelley Clarke
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The storyline intrigued me as I love anything that's different. I was hooked instantly and finished the book in three days, it did not disappoint. I'm now eagerly awaiting Book Two, which I have pre-ordered. Excellent read!
Daniella
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
a wonderful concept, so rich and full of potential. i felt the author didn't do a great job establishing a lot of the background needed to support the full exploration of the concept. i was disappointed in general... :(

• The Base of Reflections (Tomorrow's Ancestors, #2)
  • Million Eyes
  • Killing Them With Kindness
  • Helene (Lost Tales Of Solace Book 1)
  • Unborn: A dystopian thriller
  • The Warrior Knight and the Widow
  • Dead Ringer (Gaslamp Gothic #5)
  • Captured by Her Enemy Knight
  • The Door: Science Fiction Mystery
  • Interview with the Robot
  • The Bus Ride: A Zany Busnapping Adventure
  • The Chronothon (In Times Like These, #2)
  • Good Girls Lie
  • Beyond the Moon
  • The Hound's Prey (Revolution's Blade, #1)
  • Sparky the Dragon Bus
  • Shadows (Silo Saga)
  • Infinity in the Palm of Your Hand: Fifty Wonders That Reveal an Extraordinary Universe
AE Warren lives in the UK. A not-so-covert nerd with mildly obsessive tendencies, she has happily wiled away an inordinate amount of time reading and watching sci-fi/ fantasy. She is interested in the ‘what ifs’. The Museum of Second Chances is her first novel.

The second novel in the series, The Base of Reflections, is due for release on 6 July 2019.

She is currently working on the third novel in

Tomorrow's Ancestors (2 books)
  • The Base of Reflections (Tomorrow's Ancestors, #2)

News & Interviews