Start by marking “I Am Young” as Want to Read:
I Am Young

I Am Young

This story is told in dual perspective by Miriam (a second-generation Iranian immigrant living in Edinburgh with her family) and George (a visitor from Wales). Their relationship throughout the decades mirrors the Beatles’s. In the other stories in this book, thematically bound by relationship flux and the impact of culture, Dean experiments beautifully with style and stor ...more
Published November 20th 2018 by Fantagraphics

To ask other readers questions about I Am Young, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Young

Start your review of I Am Young
David Schaafsma
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-romance, gn-music
A story of two people--Miriam, a second-generation Iranian immigrant living in Edinburgh with her family and George, visiting from Wales, who first meet in 1964 at a Beatles concert.

Rare footage of a Beatles concert in Melbourne. As it was then as almost everywhere, there was a lot of screaming, all that emotion, all that great music:

The story is told over generations, as their relationship kind of mirrors the relationship The Beatles had with each other,
Stewart Tame
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some lovely comics here! I Am Young is a collection of stories that often feature music as a recurring theme. A young couple meets at a Beatles concert in 1964, and the music of the individual members of the band recurs throughout their lives. The Beach Boys and ELO are the soundtrack to a truly memorable prom. Tom Jones is both a bond of friendship and the first sign of a drift apart.

Also, I’m blown away by the myriad ways in which Dean uses a twelve panel grid layout in the story “Baby Fat.” A
Rod Brown
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
An on-again, off-again relationship is told over decades using the career of the Beatles and the Edinburgh statue of Greyfriar's Bobby as background. Music plays a big part in the unrelated vignettes of angsty teenage romance and life that separate the chapters of the longer story.

An intellectually interesting collection to read and view, I just didn't find myself caring much about the characters or connecting to more than a few random moments. Definitely a creator whose work I'll seek out in th
vanessa
1.5. Sadly, this did not come together for me (wow I just typed that and did not intend a Beatles pun). I liked how the illustrator experimented with styles and colors, but the different characters/stories didn't seem like they had a reasoning except for the George/Miriam story. Sometimes I found it hard to read some of the lettering, but mostly I was confused by what was happening.
Andrés Santiago
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 The artwork and edition are stunning. The idea is nice, a very sweet set of stories about teenagers and the importance of music in coming of age. However the script and some of the short stories fall a bit flat. Somehow the whole thing does not pull it off.
Bill
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Other than an emphasis on music, these vignettes about relationships have no direct connection or shared characters except the couple who meet at an early Beatles concert. They make 3 more appearances as they age and their relationship changes. I thought the main character in the first vignette would return or be the overall connection, but nope. Some clever graphical storytelling here but I did have some trouble differentiating characters.
Derek Royal
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderful!
Romany
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love and music and reflection. Slightly complicated. Take your time with this one.
Kate Atherton
This book is INCREDIBLE. This is what I would like to make, and what I would like to see more of in the world of graphic novels. Pared down, perfect stories, illustrated in a smart, consistent style, lush colors, beautifully printed....this book is magic. I appreciate that the continuous theme of classic rock music serves as chapter headings and thus, the FEELING of the next following story and I am relieved to see there aren't just lyrics of songs curving all around every page as some artists d ...more
Brendan Miller
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stunning and inspiring.

This is the best use of color, composition and storytelling in comics I might have ever seen.

There are times, especially near the beginning, where all the characters expressions are exactly the same. So if a character is mad they look :| and if a character is bawling or something, they also look :| - that is my ONLY complaint, and it's not a big one.

Dean hits a stride about half way in and it doesn't let up until the end. The panel layout is amazing.

Looking forward to her
Mollie
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've been a big fan of M. Dean's stuff for a few years now, so I'm always excited to see new stories from her! I'd read a handful of these via her Patreon, but it was fun re-reading and seeing them woven together into a larger narrative quilt.
I'm always impressed by how human and personal the stories she writes feel, and I honestly adore not only her art, but her comicking in specific-- great use of space and paneling.
I'll have to read through this collection again before I worry about deeper i
Abby
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, comix, music
A beautifully illustrated and designed collection of short stories with pop music as a unifying theme. The main story concerns Miriam and George, two young Beatles fans who meet at a concert in 1964, and how their relationship unfolds across the years. These comics were the strongest -- bittersweet and poignant. The other stories involve a variety of young people trying to figure out who they are, with music as a backdrop. I agree with other reviewers that the artwork is gorgeous, but the storyt ...more
Little Joshy
Small intimate, often mundane, vignettes of various relationships (romantic, familial, friendships). There is one continuing story interspersed throughout the book about a doomed relationship that began after both saw a Beatles concert. The book overall is thoughtful, wistful, and melancholic. Not really my cup of tea but it was a quick read and certainly has artistic merit, so a star rating seems inappropriate.
Jeff Lewonczyk
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A series of bittersweet vignettes about growing up, particularly as it relates to our relationships with popular music. Romances bubble up but never cohere, friendships slowly disintegrate, children drift away from their parents, lonely moments of self-discovery percolate across the dance floor... Dean's art is cozy and shaggy without being cloying, and her use of color is wonderful - it really brings the nostalgia and melancholy to vivid life. A light, pleasant read.
Ashley
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh. I got this because of the Beatles thingy, but that wasn't really worth reading this for. The artwork was cute, and I enjoyed each of the stories enough (even though the first one was kind of a depressing way to start the book) but, like short stories, they left me wanting more. I wanted to know what else was in store for each of the characters. The lettering was kind of hard to read at times. All in all, meh.
Avvai
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The art in this was just stunning. It was so beautiful and changed with each story. I was so impressed with the wide variety of color and style.

Interspersed between the main story line of George and Miriam - two young lovers who meet at a Beatles concert - are short little stories about other young people experiencing adulthood, relationships, and love. The title of the book "I Am Young" and the music of the 60s and 70s really ties all the stories together
Melissa
Jun 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked music as the recurring theme and especially the music she chose to feature (Karen Carpenter’s voice...swoon). There were times where it was really unclear what order to read the speech bubbles in and what direction the comic flowed. That said, there were other times when I thought she did really neat things with the layout. There were also moments in Alvin’s story that felt incredibly relevant to today even though it was set in the 80s.
Brad Barnes
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a surprising emotional punch this short graphic novel has. Melancholy and sweet and observant (without ever being preachy). I absolutely loved the way Dean plays with panels, defying your expectations for how to read a comic and training you to ignore the divisions in places. The nearly monochrome palette was also nice. Definitely recommended.
Tracey
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
graphic fiction (teen/adult)
I had no idea what was happening most of the time, and it only slightly makes more sense after reading the synopsis. Could have been a much more interesting story, but the way it was told just confused me.
Linden Seaman
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I enjoyed some of the stories in this graphic collection, "baby fat" being my favorite. I dont know if I didnt resonate with some of the others because of my age. Also the style of some made it hard to read. Wouldn't super reccomend but also wouldn't tell people not to read it.
Isabel clare
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Simple & beautiful illustrations / multiple timelines? almost like short stories amongst one longer and more cohesive narrative / tender glimpses into the way albums that we listen to can define chapters of our lives ...more
Jordan
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
M. Dean is just utterly brilliant. Her voice echoes throughout the decades. I'm always so blown away by her storytelling and use of color. What a fantastic first book!
Sofia
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely transcendent. I can only hope this is the first entry in what will be a long and fruitful career.
Abner
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
A wonderful read, linked to all kinds of great music, particularly the Beatles.
Robin
Beautiful use of color, some interesting moments, but didn't all pull together for me. Ages 14+
Bettie
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A charming snapshot of mid-century youth.
Lu
Feb 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
I like art but the story of this graphic "novel" sucked so bad. It's a quick read but still not worth the time.
Sara Cook
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Captivating tales of love and growing up told through graphic illustrations and words using music albums as the starting point.
Julien
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
It was fine, but didn’t really click for me. It felt disjointed
Lesley
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Neat musically inspired vingettes within a wider story of love that began after a Beatles concert.

• Home After Dark