Start by marking “On Haiku” as Want to Read:
On Haiku

On Haiku

Who doesn’t love haiku? It is not only America’s most popular cultural import from Japan but also our most popular poetic form: instantly recognizable, more mobile than a sonnet, loved for its simplicity and compression, as well as its ease of composition. Haiku is an ancient literary form seemingly made for the Twittersphere—Jack Kerouac and Langston Hughes wrote them, ...more
Published October 30th 2018 by New Directions

To ask other readers questions about On Haiku, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Haiku

Start your review of On Haiku
Tim Nowotny
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever had a really good tourist guide on a vacation?
This book feels very much so. The author takes you on a ride, keeps the mood light and throws at you facts and figures that are entertaining and informative. And after having had a good time you notice that you learned something that must have been dear to the author (despite him having said differently on the first page).

I enjoyed this book very much! It gave a very multi layered overview of the context of Haiku and the many, many
John Barrington
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
America has latched onto haiku for its brevity and easily teachable form. Here, Sato does the necessary work of re-contextualizing haiku for an American readership, offering an expansive history with frequent diversions into poetic analysis.

Sato tracks haiku from its beginnings as an opening renga verse to its present day singularity, up through gendai haiku and the avant-garde. Sato sustains a winking, affable critical voice (while he is a critic, he is also a well-known translator of haiku,
Rick  Jackofsky
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice collection of essays containing many interesting insights into Japanese history and culture that will help English speaking readers interpret classic as well as modern Japanese haiku. This book once again shows that translating haiku, from Japanese to English, is a slippery slope. The translator often comes very close to becoming a co-author of a new poem.

While I've written plenty of one line haiku, I’m not sure I agree with Sato’s proclivity to translate all haiku using only one line. I
Mary
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: art
(I must start with the disclaimer that I am a beginner at studying haiku. Also, a score above 3 stars indicates to myself a book I would enjoy re-reading. ) This book is for scholars of haiku and I do not wish to try and work through it again, hence the 3 stars.

The first ~ 50 pages of this book are intolerable. It’s like asking a genius hacker to explain an everyday computer question, and instead of getting a clarifying answer, being given a smart-aleck sarcastic monologue of obscure
Ben Frost
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
It turns out that what we all learned when introduced to haiku in creative writing in elementary school was just the faintest sliver of the very tip of an iceberg. In fact, upon a second look, that piece of iceberg is really a white plastic bag and the real iceberg is about 7,597 metres to the left.
Micah Horton hallett
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
An incredible, chaotic and meandering ramble ramble through the world, characters and history of Haiku. Eminently enjoyable, Hiroaki Sato goes far beyond Basho and is moderately evenhanded in his treatment of avant Garde and traditional Haiku- except for the single line versus three line translation models:

Gone from translation lines like the straight edge of blades bee in his bonnet
Sean Anderson
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exhaustive and meandering, this is the best book I’ve read on the subject as well as a great collection of poems. If you’re serious about understanding or even writing your own Haiku, this is where to start.
Lost Owl
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Lots of information not readily available elsewhere.
Jared Davis
rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2019
Joseph
Jan 23, 2020

• The Narrow Road to the Deep North and Other Travel Sketches (Yuasa)
  • How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy
  • Paul Takes the Form of a Mortal Girl
  • The Essential Haiku: Versions of Basho, Buson, and Issa
  • Joyful: The Surprising Power of Ordinary Things to Create Extraordinary Happiness
  • Live Long and...What I Learned Along the Way
  • Lucifer, Book One (Lucifer, #1)
  • Woods and Clouds Interchangeable
  • How to Behave Badly in Renaissance Britain
  • Decadence: A Very Short Introduction
  • The 44th of July
  • My Reading Life
  • The Universal Christ: How a Forgotten Reality Can Change Everything We See, Hope For and Believe
  • Strangers in Paradise: Pocket Book 1
  • Known and Strange Things: Essays
  • Four Men Shaking: Searching for Sanity with Samuel Beckett, Norman Mailer, and My Perfect Zen Teacher
  • American Isis: The Life and Art of Sylvia Plath
  • Strangers In Paradise, Pocket Book 2
Hiroaki Sato (佐藤 紘彰) born 1942, is a Japanese poet and prolific translator who writes frequently for The Japan Times. He has been called (by Gary Snyder) "perhaps the finest translator of contemporary Japanese poetry into American English."