Start by marking “La mujer en la ventana” as Want to Read:
La mujer en la ventana

La mujer en la ventana

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  241,058 ratings  ·  26,994 reviews
No sabe si lo ha visto o lo ha imaginado.

Anna Fox vive sola, recluida en su casa de Nueva York, sin atreverse a salir. Pasa el día chateando con desconocidos, bebiendo vino (quizá más de la cuenta), mirando películas antiguas, recordando tiempos felices... y espiando a los vecinos.

Entonces llegan los Russell al barrio: una pareja y su hijo adolescente. La familia perfecta.
Published March 22nd 2018 by GRIJALBO (first published January 2nd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about La mujer en la ventana, please sign up.
Lauren B I totally agree. After I finish the 'Good Read' synopsis of the book I'm interested in, I want to read people's BRIEF personal thoughts on the story.…moreI totally agree. After I finish the 'Good Read' synopsis of the book I'm interested in, I want to read people's BRIEF personal thoughts on the story. I skip every review that starts by describing the plot.(less)
Lorelei Yes. There is a current wave of novels with the same premise over and over: women who witness something but are unreliable due to unstable…moreYes. There is a current wave of novels with the same premise over and over: women who witness something but are unreliable due to unstable personalities and drug/alcohol/rx use. The Woman in Cabin 10, The Woman in the Window, Girl on a Train...You get the idea. If you are looking for something of this intensity that doesn't follow a predictable storyline I can recommend The Child Finder or The River at Night.
(less)

·  241,058 ratings  ·  26,994 reviews

Emily May
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who knows what goes on in a family?

Okay, I really don't want to misrepresent this book: The Woman in the Window is a pulpy, fast-paced popcorn thriller. It's not mindblowing or groundbreaking, but it is pageturning goodness. And it was exactly what I needed to get lost in right now.

The premise is a little bit of The Girl on the Train and a little bit of The Woman in Cabin 10 (what is it with these girl/woman/wife titles?!), with an unreliable narrator, faulty memories, alcoholism, and the auth
Barry Pierce
I'm surprised that I actually finished this novel because my patience was gone, girl.
Elyse Walters
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NO SPOILERS

This is a solid 4 Stars for me. It’s been awhile since I’ve read a psychological suspense thriller —-a surprise gift in the mail. My copy says a film is already in the making. I can definitely see this novel as a movie. It should be good! The book is good.

There are a few other reviews about the plot already ....so I’m going to simply list some random thoughts about my experience reading it.

....I enjoyed the premises of this story. Anna Fox being a child psychologist with a psycholog
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion but I'm getting a bit tired of reading mysteries where the main female character is an alcoholic. I get it, it makes them unreliable (and relatable for some maybe?) but it's a cheap way of doing it.

With that said, I'm usually not too difficult with mysteries. They just have to not do anything stupid (racism, sexism...), be entertaining and have twists I don't see coming.

In this book, you're following a psychologist who went through something traumati
Emma Giordano
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
5/5 Stars. I am SO BLOWN AWAY BY THIS NOVEL. The Woman In The Window is an absolutely amazing debut mystery-thriller. I cannot recommend it enough.

CW: agoraphobia, anxiety, depression, substance abuse/alcoholism, murder, death, grief

My favorite part of this novel is the writing style. A.J. Finn has the perfect sort of prose that forces you to think, “How can someone ACTUALLY think like this? How does someone forms the words to illustrate such a perfect passage?” This book is descriptive in a way
j e w e l s
3 STARS
You don't know how happy I was to get my greedy little paws on both the audio and Kindle versions of THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW. My expectations were through the roof! Have you seen all those 5 star reviews?

As it turns out, the book doesn't live up to the hype. Yes, it is as addictive as popcorn, I couldn't put it down. But, there are so many disappointing drawbacks that I couldn't rate it a 4 star read.

For audio-lovers, do not waste your precious Audible credit on this one. It is absolute
Kaceey
4.5*

"Agoraphobia is an intense fear and anxiety of being in places where it is hard to escape, or where help might not be available. Agoraphobia usually involves fear of crowds, bridges, or of being outside alone." -NIH

For the past 10 months Anna has been trapped inside the four walls she calls home. She can’t bring herself to take a single step outside. No grocery shopping, no walks through the park, not even to pick a package from the front stoop. Anna is an agoraphobic. Her days are filled wi
karen
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-from-work
oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for best debut AND best mystery & thriller 2018! what will happen?

so, add my name onto the long list of superheroes who are conflicted about their powers, moaning about how alienating it is to have superhuman abilities, how it is truly more curse than boon.

because i have emerged from two weeks of debilitating illness physically enfeebled, but with a new power, like john smith in The Dead Zone - i can now call all of the twists. not one or two, but
Deanna
I had “The Woman in the Window” on my list to read, but thought it would be awhile before I got to it. But then I came across it on Audible. So I decided to use one of my credits for it. I am starting to enjoy audiobooks a lot more, though I do find them harder to review. I usually have a ton of post-it tabs in the books I read that help me keep track of things. With audio, I’m usually relaxing and don’t want to stop to make a note.

Anna Fox was once an active child psychologist with a wonderful
Roman Clodia
** Possible mild spoilers **

Yet another super-hyped 'psychological thriller' which seems to think readers are innocents new to the genre... it's starting to feel like each new author just selects from a pack of established set pieces and gives them a bit of a shake hoping for something original.

Here we have the traumatised, agoraphobic woman on a self-destructive binge of booze and pills keeping watch over her new neighbours and spotting a murder which the police claim never happened. Alongside
Paromjit
A.J. Finn respins a contemporary version of Rear Window set in Manhattan, New York. This dark psychological thriller has the pill taking, wine drinking, ex-child psychologist, Dr Anna Fox, residing in a three storey home that is the sum total of her world. Anna, you see, is an agoraphobic, and cannot step outside her home, she has lived like this for 10 months after a mystery trauma blew apart her world. She lost her marriage, her family and her career, although she does spend considerable time ...more
*TANYA*
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!! Okay, the hype this book is getting is warranted. I usually stink at guessing the outcome of a mysterious plot, the “who done it” but I was spot on this time (yes!) and that still didn’t deter me from loving this book. The ending? CRAZY!!! P.S. Loved all the movie references!!
Larry H
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm between 3.5 and 4 stars.

Paranoia, the destroyer
Self-destroyer, wreck your health
Destroy friends, destroy yourself
The time device of self-destruction
Light the fuse and start eruption

The Kinks, Destroyer

Reading A.J. Finn's new, much-hyped thriller, The Woman in the Window , I had lots of paranoia-related songs running through my head (including Garbage's I Think I'm Paranoid and the line from Harvey Danger's Flagpole Sitta which goes, "Paranoia, paranoia, everybody's coming to get me...
Diane S ☔
3.5 Anna Fox, now living alone in her three story brownstone, well alone that is except for Daniel, her basement tenant. Her husband and daughter, are elsewhere, though she talks to them daily. A trauma in her near past, has left her an agrophobic, subsisting on items from the internet that can be delivered. Her main activities were watching Black and White movies from old, and peering into the lives of her neighbors. It is while peering through one of these windows, that she believes she is wit ...more
Dennis
It isn't paranoia if it's really happening...

The Woman in the Window is intoxicating, dark, and simply unputdownable. AJ Finn's debut novel is placed in current day, gentrified Harlem, New York City, where Dr. Anna Fox spends her day in her five-story townhouse drinking Merlot, spying on her neighbors, and mixing pills to numb her thoughts. She has theories and pseudo-storylines for her neighbors, each one being unique and different in their own way. When she is not photographing and spying o
Linda
"I am locked in. I am locked out."

Anna Fox has more intricate layers than a double-decker BLT tilting towards the mayo. Ain't no toothpick strong enough to keep this one from skidding off the plate.

Anna exists behind the shuttered doors and windows of her four-story home in New York City. Dark and dreary are the colors that paint her reclusive world both on the exterior and on the interior. Anna suffers from agoraphobia that keeps her locked in as a prisoner of her own home and of her own mind.
jessica
the woman in cabin 10. the girl on the train. the woman in the window.
what do these books have in common, other than their horribly generic titles?
they all failed to impress me. thats what.

ive recently said in a previous review that i have become extremely jaded with the whole mystery/psychological thriller genre. and the fact that this story feels like every other book i have read with similar titles is not helping. this just feels very unoriginal, very less than thrilling, very predictable.
Holly  B
Who's that woman in the window?

Dr. Anna Fox has spent the past 10 months inside her NY home. Her home is her safe place and she is too afraid to venture outside her door.

She entertains herself daily with the following activities:
-downing bottles of Merlot and popping pills prescribed by her physician
-following the lives of her neighbors through the lens of her camera
-playing online chess
-watching black and white films from her large collection of DVDs/mostly Hitchcock with some themes that may
Justin
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Women, girls... they are everywhere, man. They’re in cabins, they’re on trains, they’re in spider’s webs or hornet’s nests. Sometimes they’re gone. Sometimes someone let them go. Sometimes they’re in a group. In this case, there is a woman in a window. She’s not a woman or white or a lady in shadows or a girl who circumnavigated anything. She’s just a woman named Anna Fox in a window.

And, like all of her friends from all those other books, she likes to drink a lot. And, just like her friends, m
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: karen
Shelves: audible
I'm really torn on this one, because on one hand I was able to see all the twists coming (see Karen Brissette's review for my similar feelings on this), and it was a long book to feel entirely predictable, but on the other it was still a fun, enjoyable novel and I whole heartedly embraced the inclusion of the black and white movies and Alfred Hitchcock favorites that I grew up on. I felt neutral on the narrator here; she wasn't a long term favorite but she didn't grate on my nerves either. Overa ...more
JanB
I loved it! This book has restored my faith in psychological thrillers and was a solid 5 star reading experience. It’s well-written, perfectly plotted, and riveting. I had trouble putting it down and became annoyed when life interrupted my reading – it didn't feel like >400 pages and I could have happily read it cover to cover in one sitting.

Anna is a 38 year-old child psychologist with agoraphobia, who hasn’t left her home for over a year. Her husband left her some time ago, and took their
Lindsay - Traveling Sister

This was a highly suspenseful, anxiety-filled, page-turning wild ride! The main character, Anna Fox, suffers from agoraphobia (hers is a fear of being outside). She can’t leave her home and finds herself obsessed with the “hobby” of keeping tabs on her neighbours by watching them through the many windows in her large house.

I liked Anna, but found that after the halfway mark, her paranoia and constant coping mechanisms started to get slightly annoying. The author, A. J. Finn, did a fanta
Liz
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This review is a hard one for me. I struggled with the first half of the book, only to be totally drawn in by the end.

The book starts offs slowly, setting the stage. Anna Fox is a child psychotherapist who suffers from agoraphobia. As she’s trapped in her house, there’s not a lot of action to begin with. But that kind of works. But a little of that goes along way and I kept waiting for something to happen to turn up the pace.

I definitely didn’t relate to Anna, but I also had a hard time findin
Kendall
In a nut shell... I wasn't that impressed with this debut.

Dr. Anna Fox lives in her townhome in New York struggling with agoraphobia. She has taken on some unique activities to help pass the time.... drowning herself with Merlot with a mix of pills, watching her neighbors, playing chess, and an obsession with her black and white movies. In between Anna's struggles with her agoraphobia she talks to her daughter and ex-husband frequently.

One day Anna is looking through her window and sees somethi
Theresa Alan
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Anna Fox used to have a successful life as a mother, wife, and child psychologist, but something happened several months earlier that has given her agoraphobia. She can have her prescription medications and endless bottles of wine delivered, so she never has to leave her house. If she does want human contact, she calls her estranged husband and the daughter that lives with him. Her physical therapist and doctor come to her. There is also the online community of other people battling agorapho ...more
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
BRUH....HOW....WUT......IT IS LITERALLY ONLY A MONTH INTO THE NEW YEAR.

All upcoming psychological thrillers will now be held at a higher standard.

Gone Girl??? What's that??? Who is she cuz I don't know her.

RIP.

5 FUCKING STARS
Twitter | Bookstagram | Youtube |
Eve K
Jan 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Insufferably self-absorbed, incredibly boring, agoraphobic alcoholic witnesses a murder in a house she regularly spies on and then does everything in her power to convince everyone she's insane and that the murder didn't happen.

Basic plot, flimsily dressed up as a smart psychological thriller. Author forgot to write in the psychological thriller part. 100% boring. Protagonist needed a nail gun to the head.

Plot twists were blatantly obvious long before they were 'revealed'. Unrealistic character
Carol (Bookaria)
This book is a psychological thriller starring agoraphobic Dr. Anna Fox.

Anna is a house-bound psychologist that spends her days drinking wine, popping benzos, watching films, and spying on her neighbors with the powerful zoom of her camera.

One day, Anna is doing her usual snooping when she sees a crime being committed and her life is then turned upside down. This is the setup for this thriller and is all I'm saying about this novel, you must read it to find out what happens.

I enjoyed the nove
Beata
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes books are not up to our expectations, and this was the case regarding The Woman in the Window and me ..... I did want to enjoy it, I really did! But I felt tired & disappointed by the story and by Anna Fox. She suffered a great loss and she had my sympathy there, however, I didn't connect to her. The story tself dragged on and on, and I actually could put this book down. In fact, I had to return it to the library, and I didn't miss it, which told me a lot about how I felt about it. ...more
Matthew
I suppose I did recently say it would be a long time before I read another book with "Girl" in the title. While in this case the word is "Woman", the trendy use of "Woman" in titles lately is just about as bad as "Girl", so it might as well be the same thing. Also, I have no control of when my library holds come in, so here I am reading a book with "Woman" in the title.

It is about what you would expect from the Girl/Woman genre. A topsy-turvy mystery with lots of twists and lots (and I mean LOTS
2019 Reading Chal...: The Woman in the Window 1 5 13 hours, 11 min ago
Play Book Tag: The Woman in the Window, 3 stars 9 18 May 22, 2019 11:11PM
75 Books...More o...: The Woman in the Window by A. J. Finn 35 60 May 20, 2019 09:28AM
Forsyth County Pu...: April 2019- The Woman in the Window 2 12 Apr 30, 2019 05:09PM

• The Underground Railroad
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • An Unwanted Guest
  • What She Knew (Jim Clemo #1)
  • Sometimes I Lie
  • This is How It Always Is
  • Sycamore
  • The Sleepwalker
  • All Things Cease to Appear
  • Little Black Lies
  • The Weight of Blood
  • The Rhythm Section (Stephanie Patrick #1)
  • The Last Time I Lied
  • The Death of Mrs. Westaway
  • The Wife
A.J. Finn, pseudonym for Daniel Mallory, has written for numerous publications, including the Los Angeles Times, the Washington Post, and the Times Literary Supplement (UK). A native of New York, Finn lived in England for ten years as a book editor before returning to New York City.

“My head was once a filing cabinet. Now it’s a flurry of papers, floating on a draft.” 39 likes
“I think of Dr. Brulov in Spellbound: “My dear girl, you cannot keep bumping your head against reality and saying it is not there.” 28 likes