Start by marking “Friends in High Places (Kick Keswick, #4)” as Want to Read:
Friends in High Places (Kick Keswick, #4)

Friends in High Places (Kick Keswick #4)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  431 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Kick Keswick, once a jewel thief living an exciting double life, has now retired in simple luxury to the south of France. But when an old enemy resurfaces, threatening to expose the countless fake jewels Kick had carefully substituted during her years of secret theft, she is ready to act.
Back in London, Kick finds herself with more employment than she bargained for at a c
Published March 20th 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Friends in High Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friends in High Places

Barbara Brink
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious, irreverent, intelligent, snobbish, master of disguise, and all together delightful! Kick Keswick, the greatest jewel thief of all time, is a character you can't help falling in love with. Her story is truly entertaining! This is my 4th book in the series and I'm a true fan of Marne Davis Kellogg's work.
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: europe
Kick has spent most of her life as as jewel thief. Now she has comfortably retired to the French country side with her husband. All is well until she hears that her old auction house is in trouble. It starts her on a journey to London and ultimately to Italy.

I loved that kick is a curvy, confident woman of middle age. There are so few sexy 50 year olds as the heroines of detective fiction. The story was entertaining, but I guess not technically a mystery. Still there was suspense and jewel thef
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
What happens when a "gentlewoman" jewel thief retires but has to put her skills to use replacing the fake jewels with the real jewels in some of her undetected replicas? That's what you'll find out in this Kick Keswick mystery.
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was fun to read some of the international jewel thief hijinks. And jumping into the series with the 4th book was not hard; Kellogg did a nice job repeating/refreshing details so newbies like me could follow it all without boring series aficionados. The droll humor and clever task analyses of how to heist are a fun combo for a light read. Why only 2 stars? Well...

I can't say that I really like Kick or care about her version of justice. Yes, she sets some things to right, helps some folks out,
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
Kick Keswick is enjoying her life in Provence, a quiet and content existence, when she learns that there is trouble brewing at the auction house in London where she used to work. When her husband Thomas is called away to investigate something for Scotland Yard, she returns to London to see what is going on. From there, she is thrown back into the world of high end auctions and in this case, a set of particular jeweled Madonnas and a cursed ruby necklace.

Kick investigates as only she can, with he
Feb 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
For jewelry loves and mystery loves alike, this quick novel stars Kick Keswick, a retired jewel theif dubbed the Shamrock Burglar, who worked at the the esteemed auction house Ballantine & Company. While there she was taught all there was to know about the business be her mentor Sir Cramner.

While working at Ballantine & Company, Kick also replaced many original stones with fakes in pieces being sold through the auction house. This story starts with Kick returning to the auction house to
Annie Burge
Jul 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Very likeable main character: strong-willed and slightly sassy. The usual details found in this series (wines, gourmet foods, and exquisite locations) were not nearly as interesting enough in this edition to forgive some of the far-fetched action. But... the relationships Kick formed with other female characters borderlines on actual friendships which could reappear in later books.

Enjoyable along the lines of the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich and the Heller series by JD Nixon.

(I purch
Jeanne Quigley
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kick Keswick, the star of Marne Davis Kellogg's series, is one of my favorite characters. She is strong, smart, witty, and brave. Kellogg again gives readers an entertaining story that takes place in a beautiful locale. Through Kick she does an excellent job of describing setting as well as the luxuries only the rich can afford: jewels, wine, food, homes. This book is wonderful escapist reading, and a great choice to take along on an upcoming summer vacation.
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Quite enjoyable and entertaining tale about Britain's premier jewel thief! This is the first of Kellogg's series that I read, and got caught up in the characters. Kellogg's Kick Keswick is a heroine like Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone: flawed, lovable, and totally comfortable in her own skin. I do enjoy books with strong female leads-- this one's great.
Aug 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic series. Lavish parties, gigantic jewels, a strong female character...what more could a girl want out of a fluffy summer read? Kick is independent, knows what she wants and how to get it. I admire her zeal for food and lack of concern for her weight. She's the kind of character I'd like to be friends with.
Nov 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, mystery
Retirement just doesn't suit Kick Keswick well. She's back at Ballantine's and, not only are old issues at the auction house resurfacing, but part of Kick's past seems to be at the cusp of eruption as well. This is a delightful addition to the series of Kick's adventures which are always delicious to read and I imagine, for the author, similarly lavish and delightful to research!
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Delightful Star in a Creative Tale

Another really good tale in this series of delightful mysteries starring a jewel thief . If you read one, you want to read the whole series. My advice is to start with number one and work your way through. If you only want to read one, however, this is a good one to read. The story is unique and delightful .
Jun 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kick is back at Ballantine's. There is a very delicate job she must undertake to save the reputation of this old firm that means so much to her. We also see her vulnerabilities are alot closer to the surface than she leads most everyone to believe. So it's back to London and then to the Italian Alps.
Jan 21, 2010 rated it liked it
I read this one out of order. Kick's high flying lifestyle is a bit over-the-top (think "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"), but she has made her own way in the world. Kellogg goes into a lot of detail about the jewelry trade, which is interesting.
Apr 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I didn't enjoy this Kick Keswick adventure quite as much as the other books. I think the author had too many subplots going at once for the book to really work, but it was still enjoyable. Kick is a memorable character, and her adventures are never boring.
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action-adventure
I adore the Kick Keswick adventures by Marne Davis Kellogg. I find them to be deliciously decadent and great fun. The best way to describe these books would be to cross a slightly tipsy Martha Stewart with the movie "Ocean's Eleven." I highly recommend them.

Dec 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: For light reading
This book was a fun weekend read --- few redeeming qualities, but the concept of a retired jewel thief married to a high level police inspector was worth exploring. Liked it for what it was----didn't expect alot, but was entertained by it.
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is not great, but it was engaging enough. The author went into lengthy descriptions about lots of unnecessary things- like how to make a grilled cheese sandwich. The mystery/mysteries were pretty obvious. But the relationships between the characters were good.
Feb 06, 2010 rated it liked it
A fun fantasy of the rich and famous. Jewel thieves, murderers, aristocracy, Italian villas, and high fashion; it's a little bit of a cardboard plot, but the value of a little voyeurism into the upper crust world portrayed here is not to be underestimated.
Jan 23, 2010 rated it liked it
This book ended up being enjoyable. Some of the events in the book were so ridiculous but it totally took me into another world and it was kind of cool to imagine my life being like that. Glad I read it.
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it
A slight departure from my usual reading. Just a light cozy mystery to tide me over while I await my book requests from the library. And I so enjoy a good tongue-in-cheek quote. "That's the problem with life-it comes along and wrecks all your plans."
Nov 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: someone looking for a lighthearted book that's not completely "chic lit."
The main character in this book, Kick, brings out a bit of every woman's desire to do something mysterious. It's a fun read that you can finish quickly. I especially liked that it didn't have a main character who thought only about designer labels.
Sep 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kick Keswick is a "reformed" jewel thief.
Oct 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoying the start of this book. THe location is a character in this book for me.
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love Kick as a character. The detailed description of the clothing, jewelry and food gets a little tiring, but not enough for me to stop reading.
Jun 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Not as brillant as the others in the Kick Keswick series, but she still remains the only mystery character I am devoted to.
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Last Kick book...Marne Davis Kellogg if you are out there and read this. PLEASE write another!
Cindy Kolb
Oct 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is the 4th book in a fun mystery series. I've enjoyed them.
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fun fun fun! This series is a consistent delight.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #27 - Friends in High Places 1 1 Feb 27, 2017 11:06AM
  • A Rather Charming Invitation (Penny Nichols, #3)
  • The Highly Effective Detective Plays the Fool (The Highly Effective Detective, #3)
  • The Storm
  • Domino
  • Death in Kashmir
  • A Woman of Note
  • Miss Melville Regrets (Susan Melville #1)
  • Foul Play (Sofie Metropolis, #3)
  • Caravan
  • The Fall of the Amazing Zalindas  (Sherlock Holmes and the Baker Street Irregulars #1)
  • Remind Me Again Why I Married You
  • Providence Rag (Liam Mulligan, #3)
  • The Last Embrace
  • The Adventure of the Wollaston Ritual (The Baskerville Affair, #0.5)
  • The Houseguest
  • Three Complete Amelia Peabody Mysteries: Crocodile On The Sandbank, The Curse Of The Pharaohs, The Mummy Case
  • Sharing Susan

Kick Keswick (5 books)
  • Brilliant (Kick Keswick, #1)
  • Priceless (Kick Keswick, #2)
  • Perfect (Kick Keswick, #3)
  • The Real Thing (Kick Keswick, #5)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Blindsighted
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Reamde
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99