Start by marking “Black Canary: Ignite” as Want to Read:
Black Canary: Ignite

Black Canary: Ignite

(DC Zoom)

Meg Cabot's first graphic novel!

Thirteen-year-old Dinah Lance knows exactly what she wants, who she is, and where she's going. First, she'll win the battle of the bands with her two best friends, then she'll join the Gotham City Junior Police Academy so she can solve crimes just like her dad. Who knows, her rock star group of friends may even save the world, but first they
Published November 5th 2019 by DC Zoom (first published October 29th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Black Canary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Canary

Start your review of Black Canary: Ignite
Nenia ✨️ The Trash Empress ✨️ Campbell
This was so flipping cute and it's got such strong girl power vibes.

GR review to come, or read it early HERE.
Scott
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"[Dad's] got to realize I'm not a little girl anymore. I want adventure! I want to make a difference. I'm not just an ordinary girl." -- Dinah 'Black Canary' Lance, ranting on page 21

A personal 'must read' merely because it stars my favorite DC super-heroine (although Batgirl also competes for that same ranking), Ignite is a bright and uniquely illustrated graphic novel aimed at the 'tween set per the Zoom imprint. Similar to a Stephen King character, this new adolescent version of Dinah Lance g
Chad
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This is intended for preteen girls so I am certainly not the target audience. However, I found this to be a very generic story with very generic art. It felt too dumbed down for even its target audience. This was one of the worst DC Zoom books I've read so far.
rachael ♡
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
BLACK CANARY: IGNITE is a really precious middle-grade comic about Dinah Lance in middle school. She is figuring out her powers and struggling with wanting to make a difference in the world but feeling so young and restricted.

It's a great portrayal of who Dinah is at her core and the cast of characters are all charming and fun. I didn't know what to expect from Meg Cabot because even though I loved her Princess Diaries series as a preteen, I have no idea if her writing really holds up now. And
Rod Brown
A bit mild, clunky and generic, but this one line near the end as things became super ridiculous just made me laugh my head off for a very long time: (view spoiler) Intentional or not, it made my day, so bonus star for you, Cabot. ...more
Kate (GirlReading)
A fun, quick and easy middle grade read.
Jim C
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this thru a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for a honest review. I would like to thank the author and the publishing company for their generosity.

In this one, we get to see Dinah Lance as a teenager in school as she discovers that she has the canary cry while trying to find her place in the world.

I am going to give this a honest review but my review is probably not the one this book deserves. I am not the target audience (an adult male in his forties) for this book. It is meant for pre
Bookishrealm
Update: Here's my full review! https://bookishrealmreviews.blogspot....

This is definitely one of my favorites that DC Zoom has put out. I loved the girl powerful and women empowerment that occurred and the artwork was marvelous. DC sent me this for review so I’ll be posting my review on here soon!
Bethany
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

In theory, I like the concept behind this middle grade backstory for Black Canary: a girl finding the power of her voice after being told she is too loud and pushing back against overprotective parents to make a difference in the world. In practice, Dinah comes off as kind of whiney and very impulsive to the detriment of everyone around her. To be fair, she's at an age where that isn't uncommon, but I would have liked to see her exhibit some growth in those areas through
Miki Mackennedy
This is a good middle grades/middleschool read. A nice introduction to a new superhero and a nice touch of backstory as well. Great illustration and pacing.
Darla
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover is pitch perfect for this Black Canary origin story. Dinah Lance is trying to get ready for the Battle of the Bands and finds that her voice seems to be out of control. Can she stay in Gotham and hone her skills or will she have to move to Florida to get away from her nemesis, Bonfire? Great match up of story and art panels. This will be a welcome addition to our JGraphic section!

Thank you to DC Entertainment and NetGalley for providing a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Taschima
I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE!!!

Love this cover so much!!
Yursa Tahir
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aww this was sweet and fun. Really enjoyed it.
✨ LADYCOMICBOOK ✨
I LOVED this book so much! The art is so cute and expressive! The plot and dialogue is so fun! An excellent graphic novel to read if you're looking for a feel good story. As part of the DC Zoom line this is targeted for much younger audiences (Which is why I found this in the Children's books section in Target), but I think people of all ages can enjoy this book 🥰
Paul
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet story about a young woman finding her gift and a purpose in the world. She confronts her police detective father about joining the Gotham City Junior Police Academy, but he says Dina is just too young and it’s too dangerous.

I liked this release from DC Zoom. It’s a good intro to a different part of the Gotham world, the middle school world + Black Canary. I’m not in love with this style of art, but there were some scenes that really worked well.

I’ve read the Zoom comics about Rav
Cassie-la
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
While I greatly enjoyed the feminist message Meg Cabot was imparting on young readers, Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass does it so much better. Sorry DC Zoom, you're a little too middle grade for my tastes; I'll be sticking to DC Ink.
Jen
Zoe's Human
Aug 14, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lt, dnf
DNF at page 42.

I don't usually DNF graphics, much less middle grade ones, but this is just painful to read. It's an awkward mix of stereotypical middle school story meets the worst of comics writing. The art I like though.
Misty
I want to start by saying, I'm really loving the trend of popular YA authors taking on well-known and -loved comic book characters for reboots, prequels and the like. I think they bring a freshness to the series', along with a honed talent (generally) for piecing a story together and layering it with richness and subtext, without a lot of the serious, self-congratulatory heavy-handedness that we sometimes see with reboots and "reexaminations."

I -- never having been a gatekeeper of media that I l
SuperSillySerra
Safer than the rest.

Black Canary had a good start. Its definitely not as mature as some of the other Dc Zoom. At parts where I thought would be cliche, it actually surprised me... until the end. It had a good pace, it wasn't too over the top. The art was great, I really liked Dihah and her group of friends. But it seems like the team either ran out of time or just wasn't sure how to end it? Not that the ending wasnt good, but it seemed a little quick compared to the build up. I was expecting th
Dakota Morgan
Very YA, very fast-paced, very forgettable. Dinah Lance aka Black Canary discovers her superpower as well as her superheroine lineage while just trying to be a regular ol' high school kid. It's tough to be a teen with a powerful voice! The villain is barely even silly. Dinah's friends and parents are bland. The art is so-so. Ignite chugged along at top speed, so I was never bored, but it was not a strong introduction to the DC Zoom label.
Kiki Z
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I can't tell if I don't like this because it's middle grade or because it's Meg Cabot. Admittedly, I haven't liked her much since I was fourteen. The main issue here is that it's basically the very beginning of a story and not much else. There aren't any character arcs or real conflicts or anything.
Lauren Paletta
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this!!!! Told through the voice of Dinah, seemingly ordinary girl who likes to sing and rock a guitar in a girl band. Little does she know her mother has secret and its gonna flip her world upside down! Face-paced, middle school story that is SUPER all the way through!!
#Netgalley
Mitchell
I kind of expected better from Meg Cabot. This was lame. Readable. And the art wasn't bad. But the story was kind of bad. And the characters weren't all that interesting. And kind of the worst sort of middle school stories. Oh well, it could have been worse.
Monique V
Jun 11, 2018 marked it as to-read
I kinda dig the cover
Kayla
Having been forced to preorder this book at Book Con so that I could meet Meg Cabot (I know, I know, such a tough problem to have), I'd nearly forgotten it was coming five months later. When I was preordering all I heard was Black Canary and Meg Cabot while I thought Well I love both of those things individually so I need to see what happens when they're combined. It's like the ultimate superhero team-up, except it's a book, and an author. Is this comparison working?

Anyway, because there are so
Dee
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on my review blog Deanna Reads Books
I am really loving the middle grade graphic novels that are coming out of DC Zoom lately. Black Canary is the second one I've read, I've previously read Raven by Kami Garcia. I was really excited to get my hands on this one because it's by my favorite author!

I don't read a lot of middle grade, but I think this one does a good job of giving you that middle school experience when you are trying to figure out who you are. It's e
& She Reads
I was given an ARC of this via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Black Canary : Ignite was another fun light read for this year.

The story follows 13 year old Dinah Lance in middle school so fully expect this to be
a childish like read. I loved the art style in this its very vibrant and will definitely catch the eye of middle grade readers. As an adult I obviously didn't enjoy it as much as a child would, I would still rate this a 3.5 mainly because its very -stereotypical middle sch
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
This is a story about a girl trying to live up to her capabilities.

Especially when someone is gifted with a power like that in the Gotham City!

I love the characters. I like the artstyle. I loved the dialogues 💌

I wish the ending was not a but rushed up.

I was expecting more adventure and action for a superhero graphic novel.

The villian character turned out to be really weak and I couldn't make out the importance of mentioning the Joker without any role of his in this series.

As of now, I will not
Meg Cabot Fan Club: This topic has been closed to new comments. Black Canary: Ignite BOOK TOUR 1 7 Oct 25, 2019 01:54PM
Meg Cabot Fan Club: Black Canary: Ignite - Graphic Novel 8 19 Sep 30, 2019 02:02PM

• Shadow of the Batgirl
  • Gotham High
  • Under the Moon: A Catwoman Tale
  • Teen Titans: Raven
  • Batman: Overdrive
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer (the Graphic Novel)
  • The Lost Carnival: A Dick Grayson Graphic Novel