Start by marking “Under The Moon: A Catwoman Tale” as Want to Read:
Under The Moon: A Catwoman Tale

Under The Moon: A Catwoman Tale

Selina Kyle is fiercer than she knows. For 15 years, she's put up with her mother's string of bad boyfriends, but when Dernell, her mom's current beau, proves crueler than the others, Selina reevaluates her place in her home. There's no way Selina and Dernell can live under the same roof, and since Dernell won't leave, Selina must.

From New York Times bestselling author Lau
Published May 2019 by DC Ink

Start your review of Under The Moon: A Catwoman Tale
Khurram
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good Catwoman origin story. I have not read the actual novel, but I did not notice any missing part in the story so I am assuming everything was covered. The art work is great very similar to the Nightwalker adaptation.

The comic shows how the abused Selina Kyle grows into the Catwoman of Gotham. Where she learned her skills and why she needs the amour to survive, as well as the compassion she feels for those in trouble.

There are a number of troubling themes in this book that teenagers could b
Chad
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, netgalley-2019
If you're expecting a Catwoman origin story or some superheroics you couldn't be more wrong. It almost feels like a bait and switch because if I changed Selina Kyle's name in the book and removed A Catwoman Tale from the title I'd give odds you wouldn't know this was supposed to be about Catwoman. This is a book about an abused runaway who becomes a thief through circumstances beyond her control. There's also some subplots that go absolutely nowhere and a tacked on ending that made it feel like ...more
Sophie (Blame Chocolate) *on hiatus*
🐱 3.5 stars 🐱

Don't worry if, like me, you are unfamiliar with DC's Catwoman. You'll still be able to enjoy this graphic novel a lot.

The art was phenomenal and made everything come to life really nicely. The writing was quite good as well, but sometimes it was worth paying attention to what was going on in the panels rather than to the dialogue. There were many great details hidden around and having Selina narrating throughout made me feel really close to and protective of her.

The plot itself doe
MissBecka
That was everything I could have asked for!!!
Lauren Myracle & Isaac Goodhart make a fabulous team.
Really looking forward to seeing more from them!!!
Scott
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

"I want to go wherever I want to go [and] live however I want to live. After all, cats have nine lives . . . I've only just begun." -- Selina Kyle

Another entry from the new DC Ink series - I enjoyed Mera: Tidebreaker just last month - this title features teenage Selina Kyle in the days before her costumed career as Gotham's #1 'cat' burglar. (DC is mixing a young adult story with a superhero comic book for a true 'graphic novel' format.)

This one is certainly more serious than Mera. Kyle
Brittany
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

YA Graphic Novel on the teen years of Selina Kyle and how and why she came to be.

This is a lead up to Catwoman. Not what I was expecting, but it was different and I'm good with different. Most people aren't though. If you are an adult who is expecting an adult sexy Catwoman this is not your comic. This is Selina Kyle at adolescent.

DC YA and the DC kids label are fairly new to me. I'm liking how everything isn't as gory and they are able to shine some light on real-life situations. This c
Juli
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Selina Kyle is constantly victimized by her mother's horrible live-in boyfriends. Her current "love'', Dernell seems to be around to stay. Selina has endured his temper and abuse for two years. At school she has three friends (read as...people she doesn't consider jerks...)....Angie, Tristan and.....Bruce Wayne. But, high school isn't her only worry. People in Gotham are being violently murdered by a monster called The Gotham Growler. Sharp Teeth, ripping claws, savage attacks. The kids at schoo ...more
Rod Brown
Earnest, but ultimately silly and incomplete. The book deals with some heavy issues like domestic violence and self-harm, but in an ABC Afterschool Special sort of way. Gotham High School sophomore Selina runs away from a bad situation at home and takes to living on the streets, falling in with a group of thieves who are planning a heist at an old mansion on the edge of town.

There's also a serial killer running around, but that storyline is basically irrelevant. As is the one of a mysterious gr
julianna ➹
There are a few positives to this book!
- yo... the art is literally so damn gorgeous. I SOBBED at certain pages
- bruce wayne bruce wayne bruce wayne
- can I mention the art again?
- there were a couple of truly wholesome moments in this book.
- the parkour was a pretty cool element! not as cool as the parkour in minecraft tho smh

My rating for this was originally three stars, but thinking about it, I've decided to lower it to two stars! Overall, I feel like this book really didn't accomplish much...
Alaina
I have received this wonderful ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

First off, I don't know what happened when I first got this ARC because I couldn't see it. No matter what I did - nothing worked. Then I just kind of let it be.. simmer a bit if you think about it - THEN BAM! It worked and I could read all it's gloriousness.

Now I don't think I've read many graphic novels in my lifetime. Okay, hold up - I know that this is a fact because I think I've only read two graphic novels.
Kat Foster
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
I honestly hated this book. Not only was the plot bizarre, but all the characters were really flat, and nothing made sense for a catwoman comic. It was more like I was reading a graphic novel adaptation of a contemporary YA novel that’s trying too hard. The only redeeming quality is the art, but even that wasn’t good enough to make this book be more than 2 stars for me.
Drewthereader20
Such a great read! So much depth and background on Selina, I kind of want a sequel to this but Ik we won't get one! Btw: I just read the sneak peek at the teen titan graphic novel. And now I'm super excited for that one!(:
TheYALibrarian
Jun 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Diz
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Surprisingly, this Catwoman graphic novel for young adults deals with some serious issues such as domestic abuse, suicide, homelessness, and the cult recruitment of wayward youth. It handles all of these things in a tasteful way that I think might connect with some young people. In the back, there is a list of resources for those who might be dealing with some of these issues. Good work, DC!
Brittany
I liked this one, but I didn't LOVE it. It meshed into Selina Kyle's backstory a bit, and added in an additional adventure and further played with the Bruce Wayne link. The overall story is quite dark and disturbing, staying more true to the grittiness of the comic, but it wasn't gripping by any means.

I enjoyed the color scheme, I thought it was well suited for the tone of the story. Some of the sound effect wording was kind of strange and made me have to work out just how that would sound by t
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
”I want to go wherever I want to go, live whoever I want to live”
Catgirl

I was looking for a fun, cute, light read...
What I got was a story so full of abuse and neglect it made me sick.
Combine that with the fact that this story doesn’t really go anywhere; and you’ve lost me.
I did enjoy the art though. The tree color art is something different and I think it works in the overall of the story.
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
I don't know what to say about this read except that it was good in a lot of parts but average in others. The ending was left open-ended so that other issues could be written but it's not a cliff hanger piece that would make me remember to follow up with the series. I enjoyed it but the origin story of catwoman was depressing. I have yet to fall for her as a character.
♥ WishfulMiss ♥
Being a huge fan of Catwoman and obsessing over all things Selina Kyle, I tried going into this with eyes wide open and not set too high expectations. Well, I succeeded at the first and failed miserably with the last.

I obviously couldn’t pace myself worth a smidge because I read this one in one sitting and then (because I needed more) read through it a second time to make sure I didn’t miss anything because Mr. Goodhart did a bang up job of illustrating this comic. I love this guy’s work and I
Erin
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I think Catwoman is a very difficult story to do, and lots of people think they can do her justice.

So the good: the artwork, diverse characters, lots of cats.

The not so good: lots and lots of f-bombs, self-harm, a plot that does a lot of things but nothing at all, characters that are poorly defined (all we know about Tristan is that he is gay, all we know about Yang is that he is good at computers) and a timeline that doesn't fit anywhere in DCU. I wanted to like it, but it's not great.

Also,
Wayne McCoy
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Under The Moon: A Catwoman Tale' by Lauren Myracle with art by Isaac Goodhart is a YA version of a possible Catwoman origin story. It's a pretty good read.

At 14, Selina Kyle has seen some things. She lives with her mom and her mom's series of deadbeat and often abusive boyfriends. She is a bit of a loner at school and has a crush on Bruce Wayne. They used to be friends in preschool, but drifted apart for various reasons.

When things go really south in her homelife, Selina runs away and finds he
nova ryder ☼
first off, i’d just like to point out that i don’t know much about catwoman in general. i’ve read some of her comic books but for the most part, all i know about her i learned from her popping up in other comic books i read.

this was a lot darker and more serious than i was expecting and there’s a lot of triggering content including: domestic abuse, self harm and suicide. the book included some great resources at the back.

overall i did enjoy this, it just took a little bit for me to get into it
Shadowdenizen
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-dc
This book just got me.

While it largely ignores established canon, and there was quite a bit of profanity for a "young adult" book line, it still totally captivated me beginning to end.

The art totally captures and complements the story, and seeing the arc of a young Selina Kyle brought to a more modern and more cynical era totally works for this incarnation of the character.
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you DC Ink for providing me with a free ARC of this book!

Was pretty interested in this story. I enjoyed it to some extent but some things just didn't make sense. The art was amazing though!

Trigger warning: Animal abuse, Self harm, abuse, bullying, Slurs and swearing.
Jen
Amina
May 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
2 stars for the story, I wasn't really absorbed by what happened, few very important subjects were discussed: abuse, violence, animal cruelty but it was kinda rushed or something, if ever there will be a next issue I'll definitely read it.
The parkour idea was awesome by the way, it gave catwoman's "souplesse" lots of originality

4 stars for the art, it was really really good, and you can't take your eyes of it!
PS: lots of F words but I didn't come across any shoking content during my read.
Stacy Fetters
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catwoman is one of my favorites. She’s a complete badass and her stories are always interesting. This was one of those origin stories that was absolutely amazing.

Selina has a rough life. Her mom moves from guy to guy and they aren’t always the nicest. Her Moms latest beau is verbally and physically abusive. Selina has had enough and runs away. She lives on the streets, until a group takes her under their wings. And now this group has sinister plans to rob a mansion. Will Selina use her cat like
Isidora
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked this comic so much! Characters were so well developed, the writing and the story is so good, and I just can't get over the fact how nice Bruce is! I loved the pace of the comic as well. Artwork was nice, although I hated that everything was blue. But still, a really nice artwork. Also, I liked how diverse this is. Although they only appear on one scene, it's nice we have a person in a wheelchair, a queer person and a muslim girl. The comic also talks about some tough things like bullying ...more
Divine Anas
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've only read a DC Ink Sampler of this graphic novel via Netgalley.

I LOVEEE THIS INTRODUCTION TO SELINA!!! I love that there's a steady flow that can hook any reader with it. The beautiful art style also elevated it with its richness. It doesn't lean on drawing w/ the traditional constricting panels but instead deviates into a more contemporary presentation of the graphics. I absolutely loved this intro and will probably read the whole book when it's released!
Selena
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was not excepting to enjoy this book as much as I did. If this is not a series, I hope the author decides to turn it into one.

• Mera: Tidebreaker
  • Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass
  • Teen Titans: Raven
  • Batman: Nightwalker
  • Shadow of the Batgirl
  • Black Canary: Ignite
  • The Oracle Code
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer (the Graphic Novel)
  • Gotham High
  • Diana: Princess of the Amazons
  • Catwoman, Vol. 1: Copycats
  • Dear Justice League
  • Batman: Overdrive
Lauren Myracle is the author of numerous young adult novels. She was born in 1969 in North Carolina. Lauren Myracle holds an MA in English from Colorado State University and an MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Vermont College. she has written many novels, including the famous IM books, ttyl, ttfn, and l8r, g8r.

Her first novel, Kissing Kate, was selected as one of ALA's "Best Books

News & Interviews

Rumaan Alam began writing Leave the World Behind with a series of tweets on a secret Twitter account he started two years ago.   The book that...
“Cats and dogs are said to be sworn enemies, but I don't believe it. I think we get to choose our enemies, just like we choose our friends.” 1 likes