Start by marking “Home, James” as Want to Read:
Home, James

Home, James

“But he’s not heading home. He’s driving to some unfamiliar house that my family will be renting in this foreign place. If he was really taking us home, he’d be headed right back to the airport so we could get on a plane to return to Nanning.”

Everyone else in thirteen-year-old James’ family is thrilled to be moving back to the USA, but James doesn’t see why their wonderful
Kindle Edition
Published February 6th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Home, James, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home, James

Start your review of Home, James
Esther Brumme
Brilliant and relatable novel about James, who "returns home" to Missoula, Montana, USA after growing up in Nanning, China. I just loved how the story is written in both a witty and tender way - absolutely on point with a number of Third Culture transition issues. You won't be able to put it down. Emily did an excellent job of writing with a young adult audience in mind, but if you're a parent of a transitioning cross-cultural kid, do yourself a favor and snatch this book up immediately and read ...more
Bethany
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Relatable. YA. In the end, not memorable.
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fantastic read for expats, TCKs, or anyone who knows someone in the previous categories.

Home, James is a book about James, an 8th grader, who has spent most of his life in China, but is now transitioning back to the US. Along with navigating the dangerous waters of middle school, James is also learning a new culture. Add to this the fact, that he looks like he's American and should know what to do or how to say the Pledge of Allegiance.

I found myself laughing and sympathizing wi
Mirna
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

It is clear the author knows by experience the life of an expat mainly TCKs, it is a great book to help teens in the Re-entry phase, it is easy to read and even kids that don't like to read much would enjoy it. Congratulations, I will recommend to people involved in Member Care in our organization
Lisa
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SO related to this 8th grade boy who returns to his Passport home of the USA after growing up in China, and struggles to adjust and make friends. It described well the challenges of a TCK trying to figure out where “home” is.
Doug
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

Reading this makes me think of my kids and their experiences growing up as TCKs in China. Although their transitions to the States occurred when they went to college a lot of the emotions and experiences were similar.
Stacy Davis
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book for kids who’ve moved back “home” after living overseas. So relatable!
Dave
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Would be very helpful for anyone who wants to understand what it is like for an MK to return to her/his passport country.
Julie Woolery
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really great middle grade book for TCKs (third culture kids)!
Samantha Mockford
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book resonated with me so deeply as a mom of TCKs in China! I felt deeply understood; lots of laughter and tears.
Katy Smith
Eleanore Hartman
Aug 09, 2019

• Window Boy
  • The Ghost with the Green Thumb
  • Kid Legends: True Tales of Childhood from the Books Kid Artists, Kid Athletes, KidPresidents, and Kid Authors
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • The Lost Vintage
  • 84, Charing Cross Road
  • The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek
  • Clap When You Land
  • Towers Falling
  • Recipes for a Beautiful Life: A Memoir in Stories
  • Prognosis: A Memoir of My Brain
  • Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary (Fablehaven, #4)
  • Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3)
  • Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven, #5)
  • The Miracle at Speedy Motors (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #9)
  • The Means That Make Us Strangers
  • Blue Shoes and Happiness (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #7)
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Great Sex: And You Thought Bad Girls Have All the Fun