Start by marking “Blood Lust: Portrait of a Serial Sex Killer” as Want to Read:
Blood Lust: Portrait of a Serial Sex Killer

Read eBook

Blood Lust: Portrait of a Serial Sex Killer

The gripping and gruesome true story of The Molalla Forest Killer, the worst serial killer in Oregon's history. Dayton Leroy Rogers lived a normal life during the day, but at night he revealed his true violent personality as he abducted women from the streets of Portland and tortured and murdered them in sadistic rituals. 8 pages of photos.
Published December 1st 1992 by Onyx

To ask other readers questions about Blood Lust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Lust

Ruth Turner
Aug 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime

I'd never heard of Dayton Leroy Rogers until I started reading this book, which is surprising really, considering he's responsible for at least 7 murders and is currently sitting on Death Row at Oregon State Penitentiary.

The book is well written with an abundance of detail. A little too much at times, as I often found my interest waning. I ended up skimming the last hundred pages or so.

But if you enjoy true crime, this book is definitely worth reading. Not for the faint hearted though!

A little e
Eva Leger
Feb 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Eva by: read a few sentences about Rogers in other t.c.book
Shelves: b-true-crime
I've always been partial to King since the first book I read by him years ago so I wasn't very worried about "liking" this. I actually searched for, and hunted down, this book because I read a paragraph or two about Dayton Leroy Rogers in a different true crime book. He seemed fascinating just from those paragraphs so I started to look.
Besides the few typos I only have one complaint. The thing is, I'm wondering is this would have been noticed by me if a friend hadn't mentioned it. After thinkin
Terri
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Dayton Leroy Rogers and the horrific serial killings of women in the Portland OR area. A very engrossing book, though the language does get a bit florid at times.
Kaycee ❤️

For the past few days, I've been into true crime/murder/serial killings - binge. I found it quietly fascinating and at the same time sickening. Fascinating because I was so amazed by the author's ability to tell the story factually as if they were right there. Fascinating for how it always make my mind works and my imagination flies whenever I read detectives/police/investigators gathered all the evidences that will help them find the killers and eventually leads to the killers prosecution. I wa
Lisa
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
A 2.5 really...

Dayton Leroy Rogers was one of the most prolific serial killers that Oregon had ever known. Eventually sentenced for 7 murders (and only after being caught in the act of killing his last victim, Jenny Smith) it seems highly unlikely that the bodies of Jenny and the others accidentally discovered by a hunter in the Molalla Forest were the only ones he had any involvement with.

Raised in a large family with zealously religious parents and a violently abusive father, Rogers had alread
Bonnie Kernene
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dayton Leroy Rogers killed at least 7 women, probably several more. He is a predatory sexual sadist serial killer. This book talks about his heinous crimes and the known victims. In this book, the victims become real people, not just prostitutes as talked about by the defense. They were real people, with families that loved them. This author does a great job in focusing on the victims and the search for justice for these victims. It is well written and well researched. This author, Gary King, is ...more
Susan Stec
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A very intense, no holds barred look into the life and conviction of a serial murderer. Like all of King's books, its detail oriented format allows the reader to feel part of the investigation. Blood Lust is a true story, and that only intensifies the visually-graphic, gritty-content that instills a fight or flight shudder factor as Gary King gives a large dose of reality.
♥ Marlene♥
My first book I read in English. Glad I chose this book cause since then I practically only read English books.
Stephanie
Jun 04, 2008 added it
Shelves: i-give-up
I'm always game for a cheesy true crime book, but the story in this one just isn't very compelling.... I might go back to it some later day when I'm bored.
Miz
This was an interesting true crime, but like many true crime books from the late 80s/early 90s, it was poorly excuted (unlike Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders!!). The prose of novelists from this genre has changed so significantly - no "whores" or "trollops" - and it's noticable in this adaptation.

Didn't capture my attention.
Rita
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book is all about the facts but no details on the victim's and their families so I did not enjoy it or recommend reading this book.
Jeff
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well organized, thorough description of this case and as much as is known about Dayton Rogers. Unfortunately, Rogers refuses to talk, so little is known about what all he actually did and what motivates him. What is known comes from survivors of his extraordinarily evil acts.

Dan Orders managed to read the words, most (but not all) of them correctly. He consistently mispronounced some words. He did make an attempt to distinguish dialog with unique voicing, but it sounded forced and awk
Andee Schuck
Don't read this book in public. People WILL question why you are reading about serial sex murder while waiting for an oil change.

Anyway, it was a decent read. The author is correct that THE FORREST KILLA makes for an interesting/entertaining story.

2 stars taken off for cover art which falsely claims, "8 pages of shocking photos." I failed to find the so-called shocking images. There were however 8 pages of Rogers' mugshot, Nissan truck, crime scene AFTER the bodies had been removed, a bone, an e
Brenda
Apr 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
I came to my rating, which for a true crime book, is extremely low, on the following factors:

1. King started by telling the story from the almost the ending, to the beginning, then the more grizzly details of discovery. Ann Rule has done this before, but not in this way, she doesn't ruin the intrigue, she builds to it.

2. King had the nerve to saw this guy was worse than Bundy, who was convicted, confessed and is suspected of murdering upwards of a hundred or more women (36/37 confirmed), everyda
Lisa Gatts
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I only had one issue and that was with the author Gary King's portrayal of the victims as "street walkers",and other categorical names he used for them . I realize that he is most likely right about their illicit activities and lifestyles. However before they were "whores","streetwalkers", etc. they were most importantly daughters,sisters,mothers,to those close to them.
With that outta the way I have picked up "Murder in Room 305" and can't wait to start that one. Mr.
Shad
May 29, 2008 rated it liked it
I read this book last year. It is a very easy read (as long as you can stomach the horrible things he did). It is definitely for an older audience and not for people who are unfamiliar with criminal behavior. I think it does a decent job of analyzing the investigative steps and circumstances that led to his capture, but it is written by a journalist and reads a bit more like a story than I like.
Kipp Poe
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disturbing look at a destroyer of lives

A True Crime story that will leave you scared from reading it. An extremely disturbed individual who left a path of sorrow for the families of the women he met and destroyed.

Gary C King gets the most out of his investigations and he don't hold anything back. The interviews the police had to do with the few women who got away and the others who knew the victims will leave you gasping with terror of what they went through.
Sandy
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is about serial killer Dayton Leroy Rogers. His rein of terror was from 1970 to 1989 around the Portland Oregon area. He murdered eight people and dumped many of the bodies in the Molalla Forest. The story is very well written by Gary C. King.
Shirley
May 08, 2010 added it
Shelves: i-own
Usually when I get a book I want to read I read most if not all of it as soon as I get it. I reached page 51 yesterday and had to set it aside. The book has really got to me. I think I am going to have to read it in stages and will review when finished.
Brandy
Nov 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Ugh. Sick criminal.
April Meyer
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chilling

Excellent, very well written and researched.
This story was one that I had not heard of. A true serial killer at his worst.
Sage V Alford
Aug 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: criminology
I was unable to finish this book because of the author's writing style. I just couldn't connect with the text enough to remain interested in the story.
Steph
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Brutal, horrifying and fascinating. I enjoy true crime, I guess it's a morbid fascination with the psychosis of murderers. This one is not for the faint of heart or the sensitive reader.
Dootje
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it
A chilling story of one of the monsters that walk among us.
Breia
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a sick POS. Not sure what that says about me when I can't get enough of their fascinating lives.
Chris Minnick
May 27, 2012 rated it liked it

The writing is not the best, but a good story about solid police work.
Bernadette Davies
Sep 21, 2016
Lady ♥ Belleza
Feb 15, 2012

• Every Move You Make
  • True Crime Stories Volume 10: 12 Shocking True Crime Murder Cases (True Crime Anthology)
  • Dead And Buried: A Shocking Account of Rape, Torture, and Murder on the California Coast
  • Murderous Minds Volume 1: Stories of Real Life Murderers That Escaped the Headlines
  • LIST OF 10: The True Story of Serial Killer Joseph Naso (Homicide True Crime Cases Book 7)
  • Dismembered
  • Cold Storage
  • The Sex Slave Murders: The Horrifying True Story of America's First Husband-and-Wife Serial Killers
  • Die, My Love: a True Story of Revenge, Murder, and Two Texas Sisters
  • Twisted Triangle: A Famous Crime Writer, a Lesbian Love Affair, and the FBI Husband's Violent Revenge
  • Murder myself, Murder I am.
  • The Man With The Candy: The Story of The Houston Mass Murders
  • Forever And Five Days
  • Serial Murderers and Their Victims
Gary C. King is a freelance author and lecturer who has published more than 500 articles in true crime magazines in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. He is also the author of several true crime books including: Blood Lust: Portrait of a Serial Sex Killer, Driven to Kill, Web of Deceit, Blind Rage, Savage Vengeance, An Early Grave, The Texas 7, Murder in Hollywood, Angels of Death, ...more
“After all, many cops subscribe to the notion that most homicide victims die by their environment, their lifestyles, and there's no question that prostitutes make themselves easy victims of opportunity.” 0 likes