Start by marking “Fake Blood” as Want to Read:

Fake Blood

It’s the beginning of the new school year and AJ feels like everyone is changing but him. He hasn’t grown or had any exciting summer adventures like his best friends have. He even has the same crush he’s harbored for years. So AJ decides to take matters into his own hands. But how could a girl like Nia Winters ever like plain vanilla AJ when she only has eyes for vampires? ...more
Published September 4th 2018 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Fake Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fake Blood

Kayla Dawn
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This was insanely adorable
David Schaafsma
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Happy Halloween!

My initial rating was 3 stars, but the middle grade reader (and two younger YA readers) in the house enjoyed it more than me and, well, they ARE the intended audience, so I'll bump it up to 4 stars for them.

A fun/silly middle grades graphic novel about (initially) unremarkable AJ, who has a crush on interesting Nia, who happens to be a slayer. But initially he doesn't know this, he just thinks she is very interested in vampires, since they are teamed up on a project about Transyl
OpenBookSociety.com

Author Website: heywhitney(.)com
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Caro

Synopsis:

Hilda
There are three things that I know about Nia Winters. One, she is the smartest girl at Spoons Middle School. Two, she's absolutely crazy about vampires. And three, even though I really like her and I'd try to catch her bus every day for the rest of my life so we could sit next to each other and maybe one day even hold hands or whatever...She has no idea I exist.

This book was hilarious, and sweet, and the coolest. I loved the illustrations and all the characters. I love that he went to Spoons Mid
Kiera
Fake blood follows a young boy named Aj who really likes this girl named Nia, who is obsessed with vampires. In order to get her attention he pretends to be a vampire. Little does he know she's the vampire Slayer.

Fake blood was a cute graphic novel. I loved the illistrations and the story. It was really ready to follow and I really liked the characters. Overall it was a quick fun read not the best graphic novel I've ever read but I really did enjoy it.
La Coccinelle
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
AJ is starting a new school year, and all he can think about his the amazing Nia Winters. But how can he get a girl as amazing as Nia is to notice him? Nia's obsession with vampires leads AJ to an out-there plan: AJ will pretend to be a vampire himself. Little does he know, however, that Nia is not a vampire fan, but a committed slayer.

This is a wildly fun graphic novel, with a delightful set of oddball characters and a zany plot.
jess ❈
This graphic novel is about the struggles of not feeling like you fit in - especially in a friend group. I find myself relating to it, as a person who had (obviously) gone through primary and high school myself and even now at the young age of twenty-two. Belonging is difficult. Knowing where you fit in is difficult.
This story showcases the struggles of what AJ, and many other children, feel when they are faced with uncertainty, first crushes, friends who sometimes don't pay much attention to yo
Melissa
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
When you're in sixth grade, kids do all sorts of things to stand out or fit in like buying a new backpack, joining a club, or pretending to be a vampire to impress the girl who is clearly obsessed with them. This last one may be unusual, but it's the one that AJ chooses when he and girl-of-his-dreams Nia are paired up to do a project on Transylvania. Things go really start to go wrong when AJ learns that vampires aren't only real, but vampire slayers are real too!

Gardner's debut graphic novel w
Danielle Villano
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Fake Blood is a funny and heartfelt graphic novel about friendship, identity, and yes: vampires. Gardner's snappy dialogue and colorful, exciting illustrations bring AJ and his friends to life. I especially loved the larger illustrated scenes where there was always a fun little detail to spot. Packed with funny pop-culture references to popular vampire series and characters, there's something here for diehard and casual fans alike. I'd certainly love to see these characters again! A fantastic ad ...more
Nikki S
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Undoubtedly one of the cutest love stories and best graphic novels I've read. I LOVED this one and I really hope everyone else does too. Real review to come!

**EDIT 01/05/19**

You can find more of my reviews here at my blog: Take Me Away...

Since graphic novels are so short, I'm not in the business of reading and reviewing them all the time. But with this one I HAD to because it was seriously so cute! So cute in fact that I have already asked two other librarians if they want me to send it to them
Constance
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super fun! Definitely a blast for vampire fans. I love that it was set in Portland and there were lots of fun references to the city.
Krysti
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable, fun, and full of references that will keep book lovers laughing out loud to the very end. FAKE BLOOD is an absolutely unputtdownable graphic novel for readers of all ages.
Melissa See
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this in one sitting! Adorable, heartwarming, and wholesome, with plenty of nods to the popular vampire culture I (admittedly) embraced as a teenager. A perfect read for fall!
Emily
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fun graphic novel!
Gabrielle  (Wishes she had more time to read)
A not-so-average vampire book about a boy, a girl, crushes, youth, and friendship. This was so sweet and wholesome and I loved it.

Review to come
Christy
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well wasn’t this just adorable. Full review to come!
Melanie
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A hilarious, charming, and very real story about fake blood, crushes, and vampires.
Paul  Hankins
A nice mash-up of the coming of age story with a clear send up of the Twilight series. Perfectly-situated for that entering middle school reader navigating the changes that come with getting older and the transitions that come along with growth.

Funny!
Brandy
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story about vampires and friendship, not your typical vamp story. Love it!
laura (bookies & cookies)
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The best Twilight parody ever. They go to a school called SPOONS Middle School.
Kayla
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
The liberal use of the word "dang" was wonderful.

Very quick, cute, funny read. I was smiling the whole time. 100% corny would recommend.
Barbra
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a not so scary, funny, novel about vampires, school friends and crushes. When AJ starts the new school year he feels like his friends have changed but his boring life is still the same. Paired up with the girl he likes for a project on Transylvania, he realizes the only way she will notice him is if he is a vampire. However things take a hilarious turn when she reveals she is a slayer. This graphic fiction will appeal to reluctant readers or those who like a good laugh.
Nina Moreno
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
I enjoyed this book SO much! The art is so engaging and perfect for this hilarious, heartfelt, oh, so achingly middle school story. Crushes, vampires, sixth grade! I bought this book for me, but my 11 year-old is OBSESSED. He struggles with written words, but here the art captured him wholly. He's a budding comic artist and loves to draw his favorites, and this is now his new everything. There's something so Stranger Things/October cool and nostalgic about the feeling, setting, and story of FAKE ...more
Adriana (SaltyBadgerBooks)
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This was such a fun read! I loved it! It was super funny, and was able to depict the awkwardness and misunderstanding of middle school. It was super clever, and there were a lot of references that book lovers will be able to pick up on! I highly reccomend this! It's a super fast read, and I wasn't able to put it down!
Roben
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adorbs. If you are a Buffy fan - you must read this!
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Real cute! Liked the art and colors, enjoyed the story. Queer inclusion woulda been nice.
Beth
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is great! I giggled so hard at this graphic novel. The story is just too funny! Kids are going to love it.
Natalie (Natflix&Books)
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ok, this was a seriously cute and fun graphic novel about a boy who pretends to be a vampire to attract the girl he likes (a girl who is obsessed with vampires).
Dillen

• Sparks!
  • Le jardin de minuit
  • Click
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)
  • Cucumber Quest: The Doughnut Kingdom (Cucumber Quest, #1)
  • Caveboy Dave: More Scrawny Than Brawny
  • SMASH: Trial by Fire
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion
  • Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1)
  • Be Prepared
  • Making Friends
Whitney Gardner is an author, illustrator, and coffee addict. Originally from New York, she studied design and worked as an art teacher and school librarian before moving to Victoria, BC, where she lives by the Salish Sea with her husband and two pugs. In the rare moment Whitney isn’t writing or drawing, she’s likely to be reading comics, knitting, or roasting her own coffee beans.